Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DeathSandwich posted:

In the comics, wasn't there a run of Daredevil where Matt is dead/missing/whatever and Danny Rand takes over as Daredevil basically just by putting on a blinding mask with no specialized blind training and actually is pretty successful? Not that I'm hoping for that in the TV show, it just shows that there's a wide gulf between the competence of Comic Book Iron Fist and TV show Iron Fist.

Yep. It was Bendis' run I think. If I remember right, using Danny in the DD costume was a way to get Matt and DD seen together or having DD seen while Murdock was known to be in prison or something to deflect suspicion of Matt being Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Danny took over as DD while Matt was in prison. Matt broke out with the help of the Punisher, and best the hell out of the imposter before he realized it was Danny.

It was at the very beginning of Brubaker's run.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why he can't just be a cool kung fu guy with glowing powers instead of a dumb confused manchild who has to get his own abilities explained to him by villains.

Then he would totally be a White Savior figure for real, and people would be madder than they are now about it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DeathSandwich posted:

I want Iron Fist season 2 to be the Ward and Joy Meechum show because they are the interesting characters in his show and I could care less about whatever Danny Rand is doing.
I found myself really invested in both Ward and Joy by the end of the season. Ward especially was a really complex character, and Tom Pelphrey has some fantastic range.

I just finished the season, and I felt like they were trying to make a parallel between Danny's angry outbursts and Howard Meachum's angry outbursts, but I wasn't fully clear on whether or not they were related. Was that match cut between the red lights and the dragon's eyes meant to say that both of them had some kind of darkness in them related to Shou-Lao? I haven't watched Defenders yet so I don't know if that's explained or not.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I found myself really invested in both Ward and Joy by the end of the season.

Same, but I really disliked the weird twist Joy took at the end when she aligned herself with Danny's evil BFF.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Ideally Iron Fist S2 would just do Immortal Iron Fist with the excuse of "Danny's a scrub, get him back to finish training". But it's not exactly tonally consistent with New York streets.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Honest to God they need to just recast, ignore season one, and go with it. He's just not the guy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Quick impressions of The Punisher:

Mild Spoilers
-Has the usual Marvel Netflix issue of probably being at least 2 or 3 episodes too long, but it's definitely not the worst culprit.
-The only lead who didn't seem to be carrying their own was Amber Rose Revah as Agent Madani, but she either clicked with me at some point or got better, because I enjoyed her a lot later on.
-Huge fan of the fact that the CIA and PMC's were predominantly Frank's victims.
-Frank and Micro's relationship is both great and frustrating, in a good way. Very enjoyable and the crux of the series.
-There's a standalone episode later on that takes place in a hotel that has a really nice style and might be the best episode of the season.

Also, the first episode made me want a Jon Bernthal Max Payne.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mulva posted:

Honest to God they need to just recast, ignore season one, and go with it. He's just not the guy.

They should cast Donny Yen as Iron Fist.

(He's too old I guess, but a man can dream, right?)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What about the RZA? He has two.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Mild Spoilers
-Has the usual Marvel Netflix issue of probably being at least 2 or 3 episodes too long, but it's definitely not the worst culprit.
-The only lead who didn't seem to be carrying their own was Amber Rose Revah as Agent Madani, but she either clicked with me at some point or got better, because I enjoyed her a lot later on.
-Huge fan of the fact that the CIA and PMC's were predominantly Frank's victims.
-Frank and Micro's relationship is both great and frustrating, in a good way. Very enjoyable and the crux of the series.
-There's a standalone episode later on that takes place in a hotel that has a really nice style and might be the best episode of the season.

Are there any ninjas?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I've been saying the same thing. And he's only a year older than Ming na Wen so he's probably not too old to pull it off.

Also he seems to still be doing an IP Man movie too. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0947447/

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HIJK posted:

Are there any ninjas?

Hell no.

Frank does say "Wu-Tang. That's that next level poo poo" though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

LesterGroans posted:

Mild Spoilers

...you watched the entire series? How? Forgive my skepticism, but it doesn't seem that whatever embargo there is has lifted yet, and Netflix/Marvel have never made more than seven episodes available to critics in advance, AFAIK.

Cythereal posted:

My problem with the Iron Fist series was that it wanted to be a street level NYC hero story, and that's not something I associate with Iron Fist. I think of Iron Fist as being a Mortal Kombat character who got lost, and that means a more fantastical setting and enemies. I think he was always going to have trouble from being a decidedly not street level NYC hero being shoehorned into a street level NYC setting.

Yup. People blame Buck for the show's failings, and of course he deserves his share of blame, but the apparent, idiotic mandate to keep the tone similar to the other Netflix shows is probably what drove every more talented showrunner away from the project.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Barry Convex posted:

...you watched the entire series? How? Forgive my skepticism, but it doesn't seem that whatever embargo there is has lifted yet, and Netflix/Marvel have never made more than seven episodes available to critics in advance, AFAIK.

Naw, they gave out the full series. The review embargo is up on Monday.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

Yup. People blame Buck for the show's failings, and of course he deserves his share of blame, but the apparent, idiotic mandate to keep the tone similar to the other Netflix shows is probably what drove every more talented showrunner away from the project.

No, it was almost certainly the troubled, incredibly rushed production.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

LesterGroans posted:

Naw, they gave out the full series. The review embargo is up on Monday.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Arist posted:

No, it was almost certainly the troubled, incredibly rushed production.

Why was it so troubled and rushed, though? Likely because Marvel Television turned down pitch after pitch after pitch from more capable showrunners until the point where they they absolutely had to get the show into pre-production ASAP to fulfill the terms of their contract with Netflix.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's more likely they had no idea what the gently caress they wanted or what to do with this. They were stuck because they'd already announced it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

One of Marvel Netflix's biggest crimes is killing Marko Zaror off in the first episode of The Defenders. Like... make him Iron Fist!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cythereal posted:

My problem with the Iron Fist series was that it wanted to be a street level NYC hero story, and that's not something I associate with Iron Fist. I think of Iron Fist as being a Mortal Kombat character who got lost, and that means a more fantastical setting and enemies. I think he was always going to have trouble from being a decidedly not street level NYC hero being shoehorned into a street level NYC setting.

Danny had great street level adventures in the comics when he was teaming up with Luke Cage.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Then he would totally be a White Savior figure for real, and people would be madder than they are now about it.

Oh yeah, they made him unlikable and incompetent because they didn't want to offend people. Right.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I think the biggest issue per most articles is the one Arist brought up, they couldn't balance the inherent mysticism of punching dragons with NYC streets. Then that deadline for Defenders happened, Perlmutter said "just get this done" and Scott Buck appeared.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

enraged_camel posted:

Recast with actors from The Raid movies and have Garth be the show runner would have been my first decision if I was Jeff Loeb

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

GuyUpNorth posted:

I think the biggest issue per most articles is the one Arist brought up, they couldn't balance the inherent mysticism of punching dragons with NYC streets.

They coulda just did Big Trouble in Little China: Hell's Kitchen Edition.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Proposition Joe posted:

They coulda just did Big Trouble in Little China: Hell's Kitchen Edition.

As far as I'm concerned, Big Trouble in Little China is part of the marvel universe. Egg Shen is from Kun Lun and Ego saw Jack Burton and based his avatar off of him.

Still a better Iron Fist story, even if the movie is following the comic sidekick to the badass hero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As Nero Danced posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Big Trouble in Little China is part of the marvel universe. Egg Shen is from Kun Lun and Ego saw Jack Burton and based his avatar off of him.

Still a better Iron Fist story, even if the movie is following the comic sidekick to the badass hero.

Man, Danny really could've used a Foggy Nelson type of character...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Man, Danny really could've used a Foggy Nelson type of character...

And now we know how Iron Fist could have been worse

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm a few episodes into The Defenders and every time Luke Cage appears in his own scene the tone and art direction immediately shift to:
"Awww yeah, he's black. Get it guys? He's a black man from the streets. Aww poo poo, check it out. Rap! In case y'all forgot, he's black. :whatup:"

They could've had a smooth talking narrator say that verbatim and it wouldn't be any more on the nose.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

sticklefifer posted:

I'm a few episodes into The Defenders and every time Luke Cage appears in his own scene the tone and art direction immediately shift to:
"Awww yeah, he's black. Get it guys? He's a black man from the streets. Aww poo poo, check it out. Rap! In case y'all forgot, he's black. :whatup:"

They could've had a smooth talking narrator say that verbatim and it wouldn't be any more on the nose.

You say that like it's a bad thing? He owns his blackness and it's cool af, it sounds more like you're not comfortable with something so unabashedly black. As a black dude myself it's pretty fun watching it because you don't get many characters/shows that both get why being black is cool/why it also loving sucks sometimes.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 11, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Also it did that for all the characters, before they got together their individual scenes shifted to their previous series' key colors and production styles.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah it cuts to Luke Cage and it looks and sounds like... an episode of Luke Cage

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sticklefifer posted:

That was actually extremely cool though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was wondering if I was just numb to poo poo because I couldn't help smiling when Luke Cage's theme would Kramer in on scenes with him as the focal point. Because, yeah, I thought it was pretty neat once I saw what they were doing throughout the series. The entirety of the Hand being a loving mess and Elektra suddenly being the villain for some reason besides that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a plot inconsistency with The Defenders? Danny keeps saying The Hand killed his parents, but it was Harold. I guess the two were technically inextricable by the end, but not when he made the arrangements for it. It was his plan. Gao might have been involved, but wasn't the whole point of the last couple episodes of Iron Fist that Harold was the one ultimately responsible? Or does that just take too much exposition in a show crammed with characters from 4 other series?

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing? He owns his blackness and it's cool af, it sounds more like you're not comfortable with something so unabashedly black.
Ha, not at all. It worked in Luke Cage. But they did the same thing in Iron Fist with Magic Mystical Asian Dragon Realm Brigadoon. It's not like Marvel is a stranger to telling stories with broad cultural stereotypes.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 11, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

sticklefifer posted:

Ha, not at all. It worked in Luke Cage. But they did the same thing in Iron Fist with Magic Mystical Asian Dragon Realm Brigadoon. It's not like Marvel is a stranger to telling stories with broad cultural stereotypes.

Yeah, but, where Danny Rand is a white dude in yellow-face, Luke Cage is a (corny) black guy in Harlem being a (corny) black guy in Harlem. I have uncles who are like Luke Cage. Bullet holes and jail time and all. No super powers tho.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
My favorite part of the Defenders was when they sent the cameras swinging 360 degrees around each actor, in every episode, just like the way a film school student would do it

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HIJK posted:

My favorite part of the Defenders was when they sent the cameras swinging 360 degrees around each actor, in every episode, just like the way a film school student would do it

Oh man, I loving hated that and they did it so much. The EP for the series must have a hard on for that poo poo.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I liked the part where Danny is throwing down his best moves on Luke and Luke is just standing there unfazed like "bro c'mon you're embarrassing yourself" I only wish that Danny's IF Punch was just a minor inconvenience for Luke.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I have learned from social media tbat Daredevil season 3 starts filming tomorrow. I am morbidly curious what kind of stupid poo poo they will shove into it. My prediction: they will shoehorn in Elektra showing up and convincing Matt to fake his death to run away with her. Third time's the charm right?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

HIJK posted:

I have learned from social media tbat Daredevil season 3 starts filming tomorrow. I am morbidly curious what kind of stupid poo poo they will shove into it. My prediction: they will shoehorn in Elektra showing up and convincing Matt to fake his death to run away with her. Third time's the charm right?

Rumor has it they're doing Born Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jng2058 posted:

Rumor has it they're doing Born Again.

Not a rumor, Cox confirmed it.