Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Mind posted:

I feel pretty certain that if Roy Moore wins the election (I very much hope he doesn't, but it's possible) that the Senate will refuse to seat him. They can do this, of course.

McConnell, as much as he deserves our eternal opprobrium, was instrumental in forcing out Republican Bob Packwood in 1995 in the wake of his sexual harassment scandal (we gained Ron Wyden as a result!), and he certainly doesn't like Moore. Plus, what happens if the Republican wins but is rejected by the Senate? There would surely be yet another special election, but in the meantime...does the Republican governor appoint someone in the interim? (Don't pack up your things too soon, Luther Strange...)

I’m pretty sure this would cause Alabama to try to secede or something. At minimum the alt right would campaign like hell on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Japan really respects Trump...
https://twitter.com/snubpollard/status/929805036607111168

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m pretty sure this would cause Alabama to try to secede or something. At minimum the alt right would campaign like hell on it.
The whole south maybe, not just Alabama. You're talking another civil war here. Disinformation has poisoned a hell of alot of people, but I'l like to think not enough for a protracted war.
Neither would surprise me.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Phoix posted:

Breitbart is running a story about an 11 point lead poll that was exclusively released to them by a consultancy that worked for Moore's campaign. :allears:

good. when republicans think moore is safe they are more likely to stay home rather than vote for a pedophile

if democrats think he might win they are more lilely to turn out and vote

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Hollismason posted:

Also anyone who drinks Folgers is a terrible person as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfcWTZeP1k

Checks out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Alabama governor is not postponing the election, apparently....

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/929431280802041858

Moore is hosed

I don't have faith in Alabamans to not elect Moore but I hope I'm wrong.

Gyges posted:

Taft didn't purposefully wear clothing that was tailored to look like poo poo in order to try and pretend he wasn't fat. Dude owned that poo poo and decided to look period nice instead.

Here's the most similar images of the two I could find

Taft was moderately healthy, for a fat guy, too. Trump actively avoids physical activity that isn't golf or money counting.

I've known fat people who could run a mile (it might take them 12-15 minutes but they could do it). Trump can't even walk a mile.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They did a great job with the ground game in Virginia which is smart. It plays to their strengths and current staff's skillset. I remain unsure that they've gotten any savvier on the digital advertising front.

Virginia showed that they didn't need advertisement because getting people door to door was a more effective use of money. :ssh:

Wark Say posted:

All of these people deserve to have "I voted for a pedophile" carved into their houses.

Replace house with forehead.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

i have no doubt the timing release of the story was deliberate

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hahahahaha this is great.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

I'm far too woke to drink coffee. :smug:

Maybe have some decaf then

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Zwabu posted:

Lemme guess. Same company that did the Kid Rock poll?

It came into existence about six weeks before that poll and mysteriously no longer exists after being exposed by 538.com

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fake-polls-are-a-real-problem/

Huh, I was wondering where Unskewed Polls or whatever his username was had got to...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dbukalski posted:

Right, as in reporters started looking into his history once he won the primary

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:golgo:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Aramis posted:

That's probably one of the best use of a keurig machine possible. As bad as Keurig coffee is, it sure beats a pot of lovely coffee slowly dying on a hot plate. I can also understand that not every company can afford the expense of a properly maintained good coffee machine, and you will always have workers who just want to swing by and grab a coffee without "wasting" time making a pourover or french press.

Charging for the cups is hilariously stupid though. I've been in a company that tried to pass coffee as a taxable benefit, and there was nearly a revolt.

I did a couple temp stints as a day porter for a large office years ago, they started out with the giant fuckoff coffeemakers (like 2 GALLON max iirc), then brought in single-portion makers. Not Keurig though, unless they also do a version with pouches instead of the little cups, I don't recall what company it was. Certainly was easier for me not to have to babysit coffee all day cause holy poo poo did those fuckers love their coffee. :v:

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 12, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Can't see it if they want the tax reform to be voted asap, so they can get rid of Trump soon after.

Do they really need Trump for that though? Pence loves tax cuts. The Democrats would probably give them a filibuster proof majority if they promised to get rid of Trump.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Mister Mind posted:

I feel pretty certain that if Roy Moore wins the election (I very much hope he doesn't, but it's possible) that the Senate will refuse to seat him. They can do this, of course.

McConnell, as much as he deserves our eternal opprobrium, was instrumental in forcing out Republican Bob Packwood in 1995 in the wake of his sexual harassment scandal (we gained Ron Wyden as a result!), and he certainly doesn't like Moore. Plus, what happens if the Republican wins but is rejected by the Senate? There would surely be yet another special election, but in the meantime...does the Republican governor appoint someone in the interim? (Don't pack up your things too soon, Luther Strange...)

This isn't 1995 anymore though. The political environment is radically different. For god sakes they put up with President Trump because he'll rubber stamp approve whatever they send him, even though behind closed doors every GOP senator has talked poo poo about him. They don't like him, they don't respect him but he's on the same team so publicly they support him.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do they really need Trump for that though? Pence loves tax cuts. The Democrats would probably give them a filibuster proof majority if they promised to get rid of Trump.

The ultimate bipartisan position

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Krispy Wafer posted:

They need Trump to blame if/when the economy shits the bed.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Oh man Golgo is still going?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dbukalski posted:

yes, but that doesn't make the allegations untrue, it just means roy moore got hosed by having to be responsible for his past sexual predator behavior. which is a good thing, there's no wrong time to expose a pedophile

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mrfreeze posted:

My last office job had a Keurig machine in the break room. And tried to sell us the cups. Never trust a company that's too drat cheap to give their office drones free coffee.

why give away what you can nickle-and-dime for?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Moktaro posted:

I did a couple temp stints as a day porter for a large office years ago, they started out with the giant fuckoff coffeemakers (like 2 GALLON max iirc), then brought in single-portion makers. Not Keurig though, unless they also do a version with pouches instead of the little cups, I don't recall what company it was. Certainly was easier for me not to have to babysit coffee all day. :v:

I worked for a document storage place on a similar temp stint, and they used those. Considering I've worked in both the ones with the Keurigs and similar dispensers and the big gallon ones, the Keurigs make a helluva a lot more sense because no one in an office makes coffee until they need a coffee.

There's no "I" in "team" but neither there is one in "coffee".

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

yes, but that doesn't make the allegations untrue, it just means roy moore got hosed by having to be responsible for his past sexual predator behavior. which is a good thing, there's no wrong time to expose a pedophile

Im not saying the allegations are false. just that I would believe they sat on the story until it was too late to replace moore

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
"Well guys, we've done a tremendous amount of work to get an insanely well-sourced story put together. Looks like we're good to go. Let's just sit on it until the moment is right politically, risking that we'll get scooped and someone else will pick up the accolades we deserve!"
--- Literally no other news organization besides NBC News.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JawKnee posted:

why give away what you can nickle-and-dime for?

Use-fees are incredibly fair, even if they are regressive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The best thing you can bring to work is your own inexpensive French Press because Holy gently caress do some people not understand the basic concept of how to make coffee

* Co worker goes to make coffee 1/2 cup of coffee to 1 cup of water*

Like at that point why not just chew the goddamn coffee and take sips of hot water , same goddamn thing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rinkles posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/929780091961344000

Gut reaction is that this isn't good, but I'm kinda dumb. Like it wouldn't be right if Mein Kamf was actually outlawed, however heinous the contents. But otoh al-Awlaki's stuff is probably still very influential and has real world consequences, and this is Google taking it off its service, not a complete wiping from the internet.

America would likely be a better place if all pro-Nazi and Confederacy stuff was illegal and if we jailed people who marched in support of those things. The US would absolutely be better off if a post-war amendment had outlawed Confederacy propaganda like Germany outlawed Nazism after WW2.

Moktaro posted:

More like "I never drink...coffee." :drac:

:same:

I drink juice in the morning. Caffeine is for the weak.

Mister Mind posted:

The governor appoints someone. Either way, Strange would keep serving because the odds the Governor would want to pick someone else is zero. Strange would run again and win unless Republicans are so incredibly pissed off that they stay home in droves and lose due to massively depressed turnout.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've got really strong opinions on how to make coffee ,especially at work

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

The best thing you can bring to work is your own inexpensive French Press because Holy gently caress do some people not understand the basic concept of how to make coffee

Like at that point why not just chew the goddamn coffee and take sips of hot water , same goddamn thing

Here is a secret: lots of people don't actually like coffee or care about coffee and require the legal drug caffeine to function and don't want to drink mountain dew at 6:45am or whatever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You know, I honestly thought that the whole "we have to go after bad hombres" thing was a way for Republicans to provide rhetorical cover for their base regarding their draconian deportation policy, but now I'm seriously wondering if there might be a sizable portion of Republicans who actually don't want to go after otherwise peaceful job stealing illegals.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Hollismason posted:

There's a welder at my shop who brings a French press, but one time I saw him making his coffee... he grinds his beans into dust. WHY

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Mister Mind posted:

I am 100% certain that the GOP senators would collectively be glad if he won. They would accept his vote in their favor and just avoid talking about or associating with him.

It's pretty much a win-win if they can clean their hands by condemning him and get his vote for the party.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Here is a secret: lots of people don't actually like coffee or care about coffee and require the legal drug caffeine to function and don't want to drink mountain dew at 6:45am or whatever.

This is what I do. gently caress coffee.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's 5:15pm Carol do you really need to make 12 cups of total poo poo coffee

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

935 posted:

This isn't 1995 anymore though. The political environment is radically different. For god sakes they put up with President Trump because he'll rubber stamp approve whatever they send him, even though behind closed doors every GOP senator has talked poo poo about him. They don't like him, they don't respect him but he's on the same team so publicly they support him.

They "put up" with Trump because the Senate can't keep an elected President out of office. They can keep Moore out of "the world's most exclusive club," which is what you call it if you believe the hype (and the Senate certainly does.) If McConnell can manage to get a "tame" Republican instead, and not antagonize the few R women senators, i think he'll go for it.

edit:

Evil Fluffy posted:

The governor appoints someone. Either way, Strange would keep serving because the odds the Governor would want to pick someone else is zero. Strange would run again and win unless Republicans are so incredibly pissed off that they stay home in droves and lose due to massively depressed turnout.

This is what I'm trying to say.

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 12, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

When Hillary got the Start Department to pressure Visa, Paypal and Mastercard to stop processing donations to Wikileaks (in response to publishing the 'collateral murder' video that Chelsea gave Julian), Anonymous put together the 'low orbit ion cannon' as a crowd-sourced DDoS tool (download and install the LOIC, follow the trusted Twitter Handle, when they tweet an IP, plug it into the program; when they tweet 'fire fire fire' everyone clicks the button and the machine rapid-fire pings the IP). Targets were Visa, Paypal and Mastercard's web pages (not the underlying network or their financials). It was like if we all agreed to drive to McDonald's and just go 'round the drive through over and over asking for a cup of water. They briefly tried to take down Amazon too, but there was simply no way. There were surely a number of 1337 haxors that threw their own (definitely illegal) botnets behind the effort, but it was the young white kids that didn't know better that got picked up; about 50 of 'em across the english-speaking countries were made examples of. I was quoted in the New York Times in a front page article declaring war on the US gov't :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/world/09wiki.html

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/wikileaks-need-help-mass-mirroring-wikileaks.65872/#post-1321117 (I'm Consensus)

If you haven't already, you should read what Zizek has to say about "virtualization" in Less than Nothing

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's what caffeine pills are for.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ularg posted:

Oh man Golgo is still going?
It turns 50 years next year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Admiral Bosch posted:

There's a welder at my shop who brings a French press, but one time I saw him making his coffee... he grinds his beans into dust. WHY

Does he wear the mask because I just imagine some guy in a welders mask and giant gloves making coffee

mistaya posted:

This is what I do. gently caress coffee.

Why not just grind up caffeine pills and then drink it with your own piss

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Moktaro posted:

I did a couple temp stints as a day porter for a large office years ago, they started out with the giant fuckoff coffeemakers (like 2 GALLON max iirc), then brought in single-portion makers. Not Keurig though, unless they also do a version with pouches instead of the little cups, I don't recall what company it was. Certainly was easier for me not to have to babysit coffee all day. :v:

My office has coffee makers plumbed into the loving water supply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Interesting article in the Times yesterday. The title really doesn't help, but I wish "I'm not racist, but I voted for Trump because..." crowd would read it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/opinion/sunday/interracial-friendship-donald-trump.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

quote:

Can My Children Be Friends With White People?
By EKOW N. YANKAH
NOV. 11, 2017

My oldest son, wrestling with a 4-year-old’s happy struggles, is trying to clarify how many people can be his best friend. “My best friends are you and Mama and my brother and …” But even a child’s joy is not immune to this ominous political period. This summer’s images of violence in Charlottesville, Va., prompted an array of questions. “Some people hate others because they are different,” I offer, lamely. A childish but distinct panic enters his voice. “But I’m not different.”

It is impossible to convey the mixture of heartbreak and fear I feel for him. Donald Trump’s election has made it clear that I will teach my boys the lesson generations old, one that I for the most part nearly escaped. I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

Meaningful friendship is not just a feeling. It is not simply being able to share a beer. Real friendship is impossible without the ability to trust others, without knowing that your well-being is important to them. The desire to create, maintain or wield power over others destroys the possibility of friendship. The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous dream of black and white children holding hands was a dream precisely because he realized that in Alabama, conditions of dominance made real friendship between white and black people impossible.

History has provided little reason for people of color to trust white people in this way, and these recent months have put in the starkest relief the contempt with which the country measures the value of racial minorities. America is transfixed on the opioid epidemic among white Americans (who often get hooked after being overprescribed painkillers — while studies show that doctors underprescribe pain medication for African-Americans). But when black lives were struck by addiction, we cordoned off minority communities with the police and threw away an entire generation of black and Hispanic men.

Likewise, despite centuries of exclusion and robust evidence of continuing racism, minority underemployment is often couched in the language of bad choices and personal responsibility. When systemic joblessness strikes swaths of white America, we get an entire presidential campaign centered on globalization’s impact on the white working class. Even the nerve of some rich or visible African-Americans to protest that America, in its laws and in its police, has rarely been just to all has been met with the howls of a president who cannot tolerate that the lucky and the uppity do not stay in their place.

As against our gauzy national hopes, I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible. When they ask, I will teach my sons that their beautiful hue is a fault line. Spare me platitudes of how we are all the same on the inside. I first have to keep my boys safe, and so I will teach them before the world shows them this particular brand of rending, violent, often fatal betrayal.

Let me assure you that my heartbreak dwarfs my anger. I grew up in a classic Midwestern college town. With all its American faults, it was a diverse and happy-childhood kind of place, slightly dull in the way that parents wish for their children. If race showed in class lines, school cliques and being pulled over more often, our little Americana lacked the deep racial tension and mistrust that seem so hard to escape now.

What’s surprising is that I am heartbroken at all. It is only for African-Americans who grew up in such a place that watching Mr. Trump is so disorienting. For many weary minorities, the ridiculous thing was thinking friendship was possible in the first place. It hurts only if you believed friendship could bridge the racial gorge.

Of course, the rise of this president has broken bonds on all sides. But for people of color the stakes are different. Imagining we can now be friends across this political line is asking us to ignore our safety and that of our children, to abandon personal regard and self-worth. Only white people can cordon off Mr. Trump’s political meaning, ignore the “unpleasantness” from a position of safety. His election and the year that has followed have fixed the awful thought in my mind too familiar to black Americans: “You can’t trust these people.”

It is not Mr. Trump himself who has done this. Were it not for our reverence for money, Mr. Trump would be easily recognized as the simple-minded, vulgar, bigoted blowhard he is. It is certainly not the neo-Nazis marching on Charlottesville; we have seen their type before. Rather, what has truly broken my heart are the ranks of Mr. Trump’s many allies and apologists.

Mr. Trump’s supporters are practiced at purposeful blindness. That his political life started with denying, without evidence, that Barack Obama is American — that this black man could truly be the legitimate president — is simply ignored. So, too, is his history of housing discrimination, his casual conflation of Muslims with terrorists, his reducing MexicanAmericans to murderers and rapists. All along, his allies have watched racial pornography, describing black America as pathological. Yet they deny that there is any malice whatsoever in his words and actions. And they dismiss any attempt to recognize the danger of his wide-ranging animus as political correctness.

But the deepest rift is with the apologists, the “good” Trump voters, the white people who understand that Mr. Trump says “unfortunate” things but support him because they like what he says on jobs and taxes. They bristle at the accusation that they supported racism, insisting they had to ignore Mr. Trump’s ugliness. Relying on everyday decency as a shield, they are befuddled at the chill that now separates them from black people in their offices and social circles. They protest: Have they ever said anything racist? Don’t they shovel the sidewalk of the new black neighbors? Surely, they say, politics — a single vote — does not mean we can’t be friends.

I do not write this with liberal condescension or glee. My heart is unbearably heavy when I assure you we cannot be friends.

The same is true, unfortunately, of those who hold no quarter for Mr. Trump but insist that black people need to do the reaching out, the moderating, the accommodating. Imagine the white friend during the civil rights era who disliked blacks’ being beaten to death but wished the whole thing would just settle down. However likable, you could not properly describe her as a friend. Sometimes politics makes demands on the soul.

Don’t misunderstand: White Trump supporters and people of color can like one another. But real friendship? Mr. Trump’s bruised ego invents outrageous claims of voter fraud, not caring that this rhetoric was built upon dogs and water hoses set on black children and even today the relentless effort to silence black voices. His macho talk about “law and order” does not keep communities safe and threatens the very bodies of the little boys I love. No amount of shoveled snow makes it all right, and too many imagine they can have it both ways. It is this desperation to reap the rewards of white power without being so much as indicted that James Baldwin recognized as America’s criminal innocence.

For African-Americans, race has become a proxy not just for politics but also for decency. White faces are swept together, ominous anxiety behind every chance encounter at the airport or smiling white cashier. If they are not clearly allies, they will seem unsafe to me.

Barack Obama’s farewell address encouraged us to reach across partisan lines. But there is a difference between disagreeing over taxes and negotiating one’s place in America, the bodies of your children, your humanity. Our racial wound has undone love and families, and ignoring the depths of the gash will not cause it to heal.

We can still all pretend we are friends. If meaningful civic friendship is impossible, we can make do with mere civility — sharing drinks and watching the game. Indeed, even in Donald Trump’s America, I have not given up on being friends with all white people. My bi-ethnic wife, my most trusted friend, understands she is seen as a white woman, even though her brother and father are not. Among my dearest friends, the wedding party and children’s godparents variety, many are white. But these are the friends who have marched in protest, rushed to airports to protest the president’s travel ban, people who have shared the risks required by strength and decency.

There is hope, though. Implicitly, without meaning to, Mr. Trump asks us if this is the best we can do. It falls to us to do better. We cannot agree on our politics, but we can declare that we stand beside one another against cheap attack and devaluation; that we live together and not simply beside one another. In the coming years, when my boys ask again their questions about who can be their best friend, I pray for a more hopeful answer.

Ekow N. Yankah (@ekownyankah) is a professor at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University.

• Locked thread