Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Seriously, am I reading this right that America has no decent bread? The British would starve without it. There isn’t any difference in price between hand made or the mass manafactured stuff, only shelf life. Also bread makers are dirt cheap.

No.

It is the same here as everywhere. You can get good bread if you want it or you can buy bad cheap bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is plenty of bread and people are just being snooty that because wonder bread exists that means other bread doesn’t exist. Even Walmart sell bread that is fine in the bakery and actual grocery stores and bakeries sell good bread that uses the same recipe anywhere uses. But the existence of ultra cheap bread makes people act like that is all there is and you can’t get anything else.

The bread we're talking about as "good" is actually high in protein and has flavor. I'm not a snob when it comes to food but it's like the difference between frozen and actually prepared food. The recipe doesn't matter if your ingredients are bad and lazily stored.

You know what, nevermind. I don't care enough about this to debate it. The supermarket bread in America is just as good as all bread everywhere, god bless America :911:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is it priced higher than here then? In the Uk you can pick up a loaf of either supermarket named brand bread, or hand made that day bread from a local independent bakery for £1.20 which is $1.60

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

learnincurve posted:

Is it priced higher than here then? In the Uk you can pick up a loaf of either supermarket named brand bread, or hand made that day bread from a local independent bakery for £1.20 which is $1.60

Eh, it's not bad price wise:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RuanGacho posted:

The bread we're talking about as "good" is actually high in protein and has flavor. I'm not a snob when it comes to food but it's like the difference between frozen and actually prepared food. The recipe doesn't matter if your ingredients are bad and lazily stored.

You know what, nevermind. I don't care enough about this to debate it. The supermarket bread in America is just as good as all bread everywhere, god bless America :911:

"It is not possible to buy bread in the US" is a really dumb claim. Don't be silly. It's like saying that because gross kraft american cheese exists that you can't buy morbier or fourme d'ambert. It's not even hard to buy that stuff, you can just walk into a supermarket and buy it and if that isn't good enough you can go to a cheese store or farmers market in most places. You can buy whatever kind of bread you want, wonderbread isn't even the highest quality type of bread walmart even sells, let alone a regular supermarket let alone a bakery.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cicero posted:

Also the bigger countries that do have good bread like the France, Germany, etc. while they are more equitable, have lower GDP per capita than the US, so I doubt they're actually drowning in spending money compared to the states. Although in Germany people don't seem to eat out much so maybe they have more money to spend on better groceries?

German consumers generally are way less willing to spend big money on groceries. The same goes for fashion. Quite some non-German retailers have learned that the hard way when trying to expand into the German market.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
our family doesn't eat much bread, we get the mass produced stuff because it might take us three weeks to eat a loaf

if we're making something that requires good bread as an ingredient it's not hard to get, but for sandwiches and stuff we just get the cheap stuff

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

Seriously, am I reading this right that America has no decent bread? The British would starve without it. There isn’t any difference in price between hand made or the mass manafactured stuff, only shelf life. Also bread makers are dirt cheap.

They have no decent cheese either. Or bacon.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I bet its really hard to find decent tortillas in the UK though.

Checkmate, limeys.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only because we have the best naan bread and Chapati, your move America.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

european bacon is the one thing that is legitimately a little hard to find in the US. And shelf stable milk.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

learnincurve posted:

Only because we have the best naan bread and Chapati, your move America.

When I order a biscuit, I get a buttery, fluffy, crumbly piece of heaven, possibly covered in delicious gravy. Y'all just get cookies

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Although I will concede that that does sound lovely, you have to admit our puddings are second to none.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

european bacon is the one thing that is legitimately a little hard to find in the US. And shelf stable milk.

Usually stores put that Paramalat milk over by the baking gods instead of by the dairy, as it doesn't need to be frozen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blowfish posted:

does not compute (though I have no trouble believing US bread is even worse)

American bread as most commonly bought is different shades of cake/doughnut with no frosting/glaze.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Although I will concede that that does sound lovely, you have to admit our puddings are second to none.

True. Your chocolate game is better too, for the most part. gently caress Hershey's.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I miss proper British savoury pies and sausage rolls and such so much, but I also miss proper poutine and tourtières from when I lived in Québec. When I lived in Montana, there was actually a place there that made local pasties. They weren't very good, but I appreciate the effort.

I used to live and work in a university town in the fairly deep south, and they actually had a decent British-style pub there that served corned beef and cabbage (yes, I know that's more Irish) and great Shepherd's pie. I miss that too.

Also British and French cheese. France ruined me on bread and cheese. One can't even get proper camembert in the US due to the FDA.

I'm so hungry now.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
yeah well we have lamingtons

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

It's not our fault you don't live near Wisconsin.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RuanGacho posted:

Note that these are like 9-inch long sub sandwich size. An actual sharing loaf costs twice that

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man I'm spending like $5 a loaf on bread. I don't eat a ton of it though so that's hardly breaking the bank.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
For as good as German bread is their crackers are garbage. Triscuits are better than anything I've found here by a mile.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you willingly eat crackers

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would you willingly eat crackers

Because those Town House Tuscan Cheese crackers are good and you can't get proper Focaccia where I live, that's why!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If they are the same as the ones here we have them with a cheese board, which is a wooden board with a selection of cheeses on it, usually comes with its own cheese knife set. It’s another thing hipsters are intent in ruining with stupid poo poo like making them out of slate or reclaimed iron and so on.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

noyes posted:

yeah well we have lamingtons

:cry: They're so good and I can't get them right :cry:

Crow Jane posted:

True. Your chocolate game is better too, for the most part. gently caress Hershey's.

It's getting worse as US companies are making the "good" brands with the same corner cutting as Hershey's.

RuanGacho posted:

These are the same as the A, B, C bread. The only thing artisan is that stuff from a bucket is dropped on top.

Hungry posted:

As a Brit who has lived in America for the last 10 months, yeah you can't get a good pastry here, they don't exist (at least out here in the far-flung Midwest). I did find extremely overpriced frozen cornish pasties marketed as "hand pies" which tasted fine but nothing like a pastie was meant to.

Madison, Wisconsin has some very good Pasties.

learnincurve posted:

All UK supermarkets have three quality tiers. Economy, normal, and premium. It’s a myth that Waitrose is more expensive than Tescos, it’s just that the majority of people who shop at Waitrose will only put the premium level goods in their trolly. It’s actually very easy to do a budget shop in there if you are a poor, same goes for M&S which is also surprisingly reasonable.

The real problem I have with Waitrose is that the Venn diagram of the sort of people who shop at Waitrose and the sort of people who would tell security that they think a poor might be shoplifting if they see one in Waitrose is a circle.

We did our shopping at Waitrose because it was the closest to our Airbnb. All the prices seemed cheap compared to SF bay area prices, let alone Whole Foods prices. Whole foods doesn't really have pastry either.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

It's getting worse as US companies are making the "good" brands with the same corner cutting as Hershey's.

"American chocolate has butyric acid" has been a thing since the 1800s. It was actually a good idea when it was invented but by the time it wasn't needed anymore america thought it was what chocolate was supposed to taste like.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Beachcomber posted:

All the prices seemed cheap compared to SF bay area prices, let alone Whole Foods prices.

Rather off-topic, but I was up for a job in the bay area recently; previously I had never been farther west than the Oregon-Idaho border. The job sounded really fun and it paid way more than any job I've ever had, but I looked at rental rates out there and the cost of living is so ludicrously high that, even with a much higher salary, I wouldn't really be any better off.

Hooray for market economics!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"American chocolate has butyric acid" has been a thing since the 1800s. It was actually a good idea when it was invented but by the time it wasn't needed anymore america thought it was what chocolate was supposed to taste like.

Right! I just have a problem with them doing the same thing with Cadbury and claiming it's the same as the original.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

:cry: They're so good and I can't get them right :cry:
it is literally impossible to make a good lamington unless you are a grandmother. one of the mysteries of the universe

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

American bread as most commonly bought is different shades of cake/doughnut with no frosting/glaze.

Hi! I used to work in the industrial baking industry and you are an idiot. You are not alone though, I've heard variants of this for years. This isn't because of ignorance of industrial baking, but of ignorance of baking in general.

As evidence, I'll type out three common, base recipes for the industrial bakery, although these formulas work just fine for commercial or home use.

All of the following values are in percent basis:

For straight dough preparation of basic pan white bread

quote:

Bread flour 55.4
Shortening 2.8
Sugar 2.8
Yeast, compressed bakers 1.1
Yeast food 0.1
Salt 1.3
Water, variable 33.2
Stabilizers, conditioners, and emulsifiers 3.3

For angel food cake

quote:

Cake flour 14.9
Fine granulated sugar 42.0
Cream of tartar 0.7
Salt 0.2
Egg white, liquid 42.1
Flavorings, 0.1

For rich, basic white layer cakes

quote:

Flour 21
Sugar 30
Shortening 12
Egg whites liquid 16
Liquid whole milk 19
Baking powder 1.3
Salt 0.7

bedpan fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 13, 2017

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

It infuriates me that people are so ignorant of the food they eat and the things they buy as to confuse cake and bread. Try reading the ingredient statement and nutritional facts.

Or, I dunno, try to loving cook or bake something.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Bullshit. We have many of the best cheeses in the world. Goto: WI, MN, VT, NY and CA.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

bedpan posted:

It infuriates me that people are so ignorant of the food they eat and the things they buy as to confuse cake and bread. Try reading the ingredient statement and nutritional facts.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

bedpan posted:

They're not literally confusing bread and cake, they're saying American bread is sweet compared to other places :ssh:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Surely the downfall of retail revolves around GameStop and bread.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

They're not literally confusing bread and cake, they're saying American bread is sweet compared to other places :ssh:

People who eat bread other than Rye or Sourdough have trash taste and can't be trusted anyway .

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crow Jane posted:

Which is 99% of the time some hyperbolic British twit comparing the cheapest white bread they can find to their grandma's village's specialty recipe of peasant rock bread or whatever.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 13, 2017

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Basic white sandwich bread is the same the world over. Although it is the British that gave the world the "Chorleywood bread process," which allows the use of low-protein flours made from low-protein British wheat.

Wheat bread may have as much as 2 - 3 times the sugar as basic white bread but you don't notice it due to the bitterness of the wheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

Some people do, though.