Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

re-releasing any zelda after Breath of the Wild is going to be unfavourable to those Zeldas

also Link Between Worlds > Skyward Sword by a huge, huge, huge margin. the one redeeming thing Skyward Sword has going for it is GROOSE

I think BOTW is different enough that replaying other zelda games wouldn't be detrimental. I still like LTTP and the GBC games, but then again I always liked the topdown zeldas best.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd love for you to expound on this at the risk of getting off topic. But what're you talking about when you say flight? I also don't remember it being repetitive to that degree but I could also be mis-remembering.

Most of the time you were on the bird, you were just finding these very bland and lifeless floating islands and that was really it. It reminded me of Windwaker's ocean a little bit. I thought we'd get to ride a big bird everywhere but it turns out to just be another way to fast travel to certain points, though I guess the tech to do more wasn't there yet. If anything, another BOTW style game would benefit from Big Birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

creationist believer posted:

The DS Zelda with the train was the first Zelda game where I consciously made the decision "I don't want to play this anymore" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I keep telling myself I should re-play those two games. They were gimmicky as all heck which made them frustrating to play, but I do remember finding them creative and challenging enough.

TP was a sad attempt to re-make OoT. It was really easy, too linear, and not really original. I suppose I wouldn't have nice things to say about SS but I still would like to try it.

Reading what Zore said has made me want to re-evaluate LBW because I do remember feeling a bit harried playing it. Maybe it was all that?

Either way get the GBC ones on your 3DS they're all good.

Thinking about the VC really makes me wonder what their Switch subscription service is going to be like. Are you just signed in and have instant access to a huge library of old games or do you rent them out for a small fee and if so for how long (say you can only have one rental out at a time?) It's all pretty intriguing.

Also, if the US gets Hulu what will other regions get? I imagine such a service has all sorts of rights attached to it complicating matters.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Zelda Maker but it's actually 3D

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

LBW is the antithesis of a game where the controls only work 95% of the time and also tell you what to loving do and where to go almost as much, while also having the gall to give you the ability of flight in conjunction with the worst and most banal environment to use it in. On top of that it makes you repeat the same areas and bosses more than maybe any other Zelda. It's a Zelda game for masochists because you're tortured with the gimmick of flight and freedom but you're actually shackled to the ground more than any other in the series.

DLC Inc posted:

Most of the time you were on the bird, you were just finding these very bland and lifeless floating islands and that was really it. It reminded me of Windwaker's ocean a little bit. I thought we'd get to ride a big bird everywhere but it turns out to just be another way to fast travel to certain points, though I guess the tech to do more wasn't there yet. If anything, another BOTW style game would benefit from Big Birds.

That makes so much more sense. You had said LBW when you were talking Skyward Sword. Considering I adore exploration the rail-roading would grate on me horrendously but as long as the dungeons are good it could make up for it I suppose.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skyward Sword is all dungeons. The exterior areas are basically dungeons that have additional dungeons in them. It's at the opposite end of the openness spectrum from Breath of the Wild. I liked it a lot, but it is clearly not to everyone's taste. I like that this one series can contain things that are so wildly different.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope they decide to use some of the scrapped BOTW ideas later on, like the UFOs. When I saw poo poo like "welp here's Link on a motorcycle" I couldn't believe they actually had that kind of concept at one point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zelda 2 is my all-time favourite :shobon: I played the hell out of TP, and then it hit me that it was basically OoT in higher resolution and that bugged me.

Zant being a complete letdown certainly didn't help. The ending of WW is still the best Zelda ending, but I haven't played BotW yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DLC Inc posted:

I hope they decide to use some of the scrapped BOTW ideas later on, like the UFOs. When I saw poo poo like "welp here's Link on a motorcycle" I couldn't believe they actually had that kind of concept at one point.

I mean, its not really that out there. SS and BOTW have been heavily flirting with a futuristic aesthetic considering all the robots and AI running around. Also BOTW literally giving you a magic smartphone.

Motorcycle would not have been a huge stretch. I mean poo poo, just have a two wheeled Guardian and let Link ambush them and hack them with the Sheikah slate, boom you have motorcycles in BOTW with no other changes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

The DS games are "out there", but if they had the gumption to do a steam-ship to steam-train, some sort of magic motorcycle would be right up their alley.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Alright Switch thread. Here’s something I’m looking for, hardware:

Bellomo sells adapters with little clips to attach to the original wire themselves.

I’m looking for something similar to this but in reverse.

What’s pictured is an adapter that turns Micro USB into Lightning. What I need is an adapter turning Lightning into USB C. I know Lightning to usb C adapters exist but the main selling point for me is that little elastic band holding them together.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Skyward Sword is all dungeons. The exterior areas are basically dungeons that have additional dungeons in them. It's at the opposite end of the openness spectrum from Breath of the Wild. I liked it a lot, but it is clearly not to everyone's taste. I like that this one series can contain things that are so wildly different.

Yeah, this is why Skyward Sword is one of my favorite Zeldas. I loved that getting to a dungeon was basically a dungeon in itself. And the actual dungeons are some of the best in the series.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Chiming in re: the Arms talk from the last few pages to say that Arms is fun and good.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Dizz posted:

Zelda Maker but it's actually 3D

Building dungeons and putting them into BOTW

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That makes so much more sense. You had said LBW when you were talking Skyward Sword. Considering I adore exploration the rail-roading would grate on me horrendously but as long as the dungeons are good it could make up for it I suppose.

He said LBW was the antithesis to that, not that LBW was that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gandalf21 posted:

Yeah, this is why Skyward Sword is one of my favorite Zeldas. I loved that getting to a dungeon was basically a dungeon in itself. And the actual dungeons are some of the best in the series.

I really like SS for the same reasons. It's still below every other 3d Zelda besides Twilight Princess for me, but that's some good company.

I like LBW a lot but I agree that the decision to make every dungeon a single item dungeon hurt the game overall and wasn't even necessary to the "any order" thing. It still has some great puzzle design though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, that's a whole lot of well-loved online multiplayer games losing their communities :nallears:.

Wait... ZombiU is an Ubisoft game. No! NOOOOO! :negative:

ZombiU never had online multiplayer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stan Taylor posted:

Chiming in re: the Arms talk from the last few pages to say that Arms is fun and good.

It is

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ARMS is fun and good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda top tier:

LBW
BotW
OoT
LA
Ww

Bottom tier:
SS
PH
ST
TP

The rest are in the middle.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Wait is Koji Kondo the producer for that one Wooded Kingdom song with the surf guitar? I knew he only worked on like one song for this game but if that one was it, that explains so much. I know they're like tapering him off and letting the dude retire and he's only helping out, but that one song is so much, like way and above every other song, if you told me he was like the mastermind orchestrating it I would believe it.

From the credits Ive read he's only "assistant producer" on a lot of songs, but people have said he did make one song, and that one's so cool! Im trying to learn it on piano so Im doing research and practicing and poo poo. But Ive seen some youtube credits.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 13, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Snow Kingdom indoors track is really good too, as is New Donk once you assemble the band. Overall though there's not a lot else that really bangs.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Seriously though gently caress the last Imprisoned fight and gently caress the Demise fight

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tender Bender posted:

The Snow Kingdom indoors track is really good too, as is New Donk once you assemble the band. Overall though there's not a lot else that really bangs.

Yeah, Odyssey’s soundtrack is okay but it doesn’t come close to 3D World’s. I want that game rereleased just so more people get a chance to play it, it’s such a joy. I love Odyssey and it’s objectively a better game but 3D World is still my favorite 3D Mario.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They are both at the tops of their respective genre. SMO is the best 3d. SM3dW is the best normal mario/platformer/2d whatever you call it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Improbable Lobster posted:

ZombiU never had online multiplayer

It had Souls-esque bloodstains except for items I think

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zore posted:

Link Between worlds is a tired retread trading on unearned nostalgia for a twenty five year old game. Not only that, it simplifies the gently caress out of it and somehow is less mechanically interesting than Link to the Past because it lacks any and all dungeon interaction.

After 3 divisive Zelda games, a loveletter to Zelda was just what the series needed. It was an easy win. It wasn't a hard game, but it was pleasant to go through

A post from a bit ago,

lelandjs posted:

I’m a 2D Mario fan and I love Odyssey. Besides the actually 2D sections, most moons and follow a linear path. It’s better to think of the worlds as, well, overworlds that you use to find the actual levels.

At some point, Nintendo forgot that this part of games was fun

Between Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World, it seemed like Nintendo was cutting 'the fluff' from their games, always electing to replace exploration with a map screen, or a linear stream of non-stop action and puzzles, forgetting that exploration is fundamental to many of their series'. Some games got affected worse than others, and unfortunately Skyward Sword was one of those games that got caught in the crossfire

Luckily, open world is back in vogue and everybody loves it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Which WiiU Mario game allowed for another player to use the touchscreen to add platforms? I played that a bit when my niece got her WiiU last Christmas, drat fun.

She also got the Monster High game and that was absolute trash. She, of course, loved it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Which WiiU Mario game allowed for another player to use the touchscreen to add platforms? I played that a bit when my niece got her WiiU last Christmas, drat fun

New Super Mario Bros on the 'U

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

evilmiera posted:

Does Retro not exist anymore? I thought they made some of the DK games? Why not let them continue making the new Metroid Prime? I mean yeah, the list is probably fake but still.

That list and the speculation is fake, but to be clear, we have known for a while that MP4 will not be done by Retro. We just don't know who is working on MP4 yet, or what Retro is doing.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Calaveron posted:

People loved Rikki because he was an annoying comedy relief mascot but dude was straight up one of the strongest if not the strongest and most versatile party member and some of his scenes were actually pretty funny

Don't forget his Dunban pep talk.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope that Dragonball FighterZ is coming to the Switch

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

disjoe posted:

Seriously though gently caress the last Imprisoned fight and gently caress the Demise fight

Both were p. bad

Skyward Sword is the only mainline Zelda I've never replayed. It's literally an unfinished game, and if I hadn't gotten a free wiimote I'd be mad as hell that I paid full price.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL you can open up the map screen and warp to flags in Mario Odyssey

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope that Dragonball FighterZ is coming to the Switch

:yeah:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So apparently Nintendo just filed a bunch of new trademarks today for Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros.

Could mean things, but more importantly, it might not!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

So apparently Nintendo just filed a bunch of new trademarks today for Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros.

no new Metroid trademarks? guess it's not coming out till 2020 then

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rolo posted:

I loving love mobile games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Or maybe BotW, Inklings and Animal Crossing content in SSB4 Deluxe.

Probably not though!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zore posted:

Link Between worlds is a tired retread trading on unearned nostalgia for a twenty five year old game. Not only that, it simplifies the gently caress out of it and somehow is less mechanically interesting than Link to the Past because it lacks any and all dungeon interaction. The game is built around only requiring you to have a single item at a time which means every single dungeon signposts and copy-pastes the challenges and obstacles within. It is probably the most simplified Zelda game in the entire series. There can be no interesting puzzles or interactions because the game was designed from the ground up around the idea that they had no idea which item you had rented at any given time so its just a morass of poo poo that's all entry level first dungeon stuff except across the entire game.

Also items are designed to be almost useless outside of their incredibly narrow specific puzzle solving niches.

It is the most frustrating and aggravating Zelda game to play, hands down.

Like Link to the past is cool for all the neat poo poo you can do. Things like the Mimic Cave near Turtle Rock, or the hidden fairy room in Ganon's Tower reward the player for cleverly using abilities. There is none of that in LBW.

I played LBW before ALTTP and enjoyed it more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's because it is better. LttP minus nostaglia = a solid Zelda game but not top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Controversial take: Link Between Worlds is the GOAT top-down and BotW is the GOAT 3D.

And even though I own DOOM on PS4 I bough DOOM on switch because I love DOOM and I want portable DOOM and I'm flying on Friday and want to play DOOM.

• Locked thread