Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nvm

Super Fan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

K. Waste posted:

WHERE'S

THE

MULLET

As much as I'm going to be tripping over my own dick to blame Whedon for what a garbage fire this movie is going to be, the lack of a mullet is all on Snyder and I'm still sore about it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

teagone posted:

I'm wondering if the bit where Momoa winks is a reshoot because it looks like he's in front of a green screen, despite the rest of the scene being on location. Or maybe it's just the YT compression? I don't know, it's at around 55 seconds into that clip and that bit stuck out through the whole thing. Momoa's movie tattoos don't really look as good there either.

I just think he forgot how to blink for a bit

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shanty posted:

As much as I'm going to be tripping over my own dick to blame Whedon for what a garbage fire this movie is going to be, the lack of a mullet is all on Snyder and I'm still sore about it.

:same:

We could've gotten Cavillstache as a consolation prize but they went and ruined that too :argh:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Random impressions from 4chan

what I think it's vitally important to know: has cavill's hairline visibly retreated any further since his hair is in his superman style since b v s?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Rosgakori/status/929803724809211905

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That's pretty bad.

Especially when so much thought was put into making the amazon's armor in WW:

https://imgur.com/gallery/56uVZ

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Man, those ladies are ripped.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh. That is loving aggravating.

Honestly, the sooner Jenkins comes back to right this ship (again) the better.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Snyder's an ab man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uh...those are also designs from Wonder Woman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Uh...those are also designs from Wonder Woman.

And JL doesn't have the Amazons running around almost nude:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

But they're not wearing armor either. Unlike the underwater people

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cherry picking. Just read the replies; they had similar outfits designed by Lindy in WW as well:

https://twitter.com/film_quiz/status/929839942397816832

And they had fully armored variants in JL.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCade4/status/929849113402904576

Original tweet pushes that JL has regressed from Wonder Woman's depiction of female warriors, gets called out with cited examples, then changes argument to that's not how female battle armor is supposed to look. Lmao, ok.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Look, retweets and likes don’t generate themselves.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Look, retweets and likes don’t generate themselves.

True, true.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Those ab-revealing designs in the WW movie look like they are intended for scenes of Amazons training or just generally lounging around. I've seen the movie many times don't remember seeing any of those designs in the actual battle scene on the beach, during which all Amazons depicted are fully-armored in functional leather and metal.

In contrast, during Justice League we have screenshots of multiple Amazons in an apocalyptic battle against laser-wielding sci-fi space invaders...while wearing barely any armor and with their abs not even covered by cloth.

It's a valid criticism. If we're going to cherry-pick this movie for its loving soundtrack and color grading then we sure as hell should be just as critical and nit-picking about how it's depicting its female warriors.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That image that Snyder posted on his Vero has the Amazons wearing what looks like pretty similar armor to what they wore on the beach battle in WW. :shrug:

[edit] Let's compare:

JL behind the scenes:

Timestamped Hippolyta and Amazons from the JL trailer, who all look to be wearing armor similar to what we saw in WW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DblEwHkde8U&t=58s

There's one Amazon in this image on the bottom right that looks to be wearing their casual leather attire into battle though, sure:

But let's look at the WW amazon costumes during beach battle:

and Antiope during the beach battle:

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
There is one shot from the trailer of one Amazon not wearing cloth around their abdomen.

Everyone else is either as leather-clad as they were in Wonder Woman, or are fully armored. Perhaps the fully armored scenes are from where they are prepared to meet Steppenwolf, but the battle scenes are where they are caught off-guard by the para-demon hordes?

We are contrasting a production photo which was taken during production in-between takes, with a production photo that is clearly not part of the movie, with the actors posed to show off their physique, very similar to the one from Wonder Woman.

edit:

Also, god dammit, Joss:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
edit: shoot

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Also, god dammit, Joss:

:rip:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't one of BvS criticisms that it didn't had enough action scenes in broad light? Going to be interesting if any review considers Whedon's "Red sky of death" filter an issue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

If, when we finally see the film, the Amazons are just as functionally and impressively-clad as they were in WW and there's some...what, context-relevant reason for some of them to be riding into battle against demons wearing a fraction the amount of clothing that the equivalent onscreen male warriors are wearing, then great, vindicate these designers, moving on.

But until then? Images like these --

left side is from WW, middle and right from JL

-- are pretty damning and should be rightfully harped on, and it's pretty tacky to just brush off anyone doing so as overreacting or cherry-picking.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Snyder is NOT an ab man.

Also:

What if Justice League WASN'T in color.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Images like these --

-- are pretty damning and should be rightfully harped on, and it's pretty tacky to just brush off anyone doing so as overreacting or cherry-picking.

I'm brushing it off as overreaction/speculation/cherry-picking because the author of the article in question hasn't even seen Justice League. They're citing what is likely just a production photo and costume test as something that is prominently featured in the film at the forefront, developed and filmed explicitly for the cis male gaze.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 13, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

If, when we finally see the film, the Amazons are just as functionally and impressively-clad as they were in WW and there's some...what, context-relevant reason for some of them to be riding into battle against demons wearing a fraction the amount of clothing that the equivalent onscreen male warriors are wearing, then great, vindicate these designers, moving on.

But until then? Images like these --

The "cherry-picking" tweet was pointing out that the bad JL wardrobe example from the original tweet was using designs really similar (possibly identical on the far right?) to stuff that appeared in WW as well, which I don't think is an unfair point to make.

I do think it's a tad disingenuous to take a shot of Amazons at their most heavily armored and compare it to a set photo of the skimpiest wardrobe from JL, without taking into account the greater use of wardrobe in both movies. You can point out for instance that in neither movie do they really need to be lounging around in leather bikinis but the original Tweeter was very obviously trying to make a direct comparison between a female and male designer (and presumably between the directors).

It does look like there are some clues that it is going the wrong way in JL (the one random warrior wearing what appears to be a leather bra against alien tanks being a big example) but I don't think it helps the situation when you grab photos that seemingly have drastically different contexts. Your picture is actually considerably better (although I think the middle portion is extraneous) as a 1:1 comparison because it shows the same actress and the far left -> far right seems to show actual battle garb she's wearing in each film, so unless that last outfit got adjusted before filming that shows a definite regression.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder if it’ll be weird or jarring that the film was shot with a certain color palette in mind and then specific scenes were re-colored.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Your picture is actually considerably better (although I think the middle portion is extraneous) as a 1:1 comparison because it shows the same actress and the far left -> far right seems to show actual battle garb she's wearing in each film, so unless that last outfit got adjusted before filming that shows a definite regression.

WW:

JL:

JL production photo showing same actress on set:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's simple, really. The superheavy infantry gets heavier armor while the light infantry gets lighter armor. She's a light infantry unit that gets +2 to charge and speed. She's used for flanking the enemy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I feel like leather bikinis are pretty apropos for the Tropical Isle of Dominatrices but it's not entirely wrongheaded to ask whether you wanna watch a movie about that.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

BrianWilly posted:

Are the outfits in Wonder Woman (2017) considered functionally and impressively clad?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

Are the outfits in Wonder Woman (2017) considered functionally and impressively clad?

Away all Goats posted:

That's pretty bad.

Especially when so much thought was put into making the amazon's armor in WW:

https://imgur.com/gallery/56uVZ

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Utter nonsense.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

Also, god dammit, Joss:

drat son. I can't believe I prefer Snyder's trademark dirty blue over this weird red/orange thing Whedon has goin on.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

Utter nonsense.

Ok

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

WW:

JL:

JL production photo showing same actress on set:

Oof yeah, that's pretty bad

Unfortunate, the big battle hammer is pretty sick

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

Utter nonsense.

My main takeaway from that and the previous screens is that besides the new one, Wonder Woman's outfit has always looked lovely and cheap and the current Amazon ones sort of just look like trash. Like literally trash, the one amazon seems to be wearing scrap metal for a breastplate. I haven't seen WW yet so maybe it looks better in the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Well, it is a breastplate, not breastsplate after all!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

viral spiral posted:

drat son. I can't believe I prefer Snyder's trademark dirty blue over this weird red/orange thing Whedon has goin on.

Yeah, I like that first one quite a bit.

I honestly kinda dig the red sky look, on paper. It's neat, but I wish there was more color in the new scenes other than just RED. Like a little mix would be neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

viral spiral posted:

Why can't you believe it? Even if you don't personally like Snyder's films overall, when placed side-by-side, it becomes readily apparent which filmmaker uses color dominance and contrast in order to express mood (a vastly out-numbered, technologically inferior calvary galloping over a dry, borderline barren landscape to meet an armada from beyond the stars), and which is simply adhering to convention (red/orange = hell/fire = danger/bad).

Snyder's trademark is not dirty blue. Snyder's trademark is muted or shaded colors in production design, photographed in high contrast, with an emphasis on a single dominating color to set a particular mood and thus call particular attention to colors that stand out in mise en scene.

So, in 300, the dominating color is gold, and Leonidas/the Spartans are distinguished by their blood-red capes.

In this scene from Watchmen, on the other hand, the dominating color is a sickly green.