Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

God I would love a Criterion box of some of the more obscure WKW films. Days of Being Wild, Happy Together, and Chungking Express (released last year and almost immediately out of print) all in one box.

That doesn't seem quite right, I bought my Chunking Express blu-ray in 2009, not sure when it went out of print though but I think it's been quite a while.

It'd be great to have something like the old Kino box set, but Criterion quality. I have the Kino blu-rays for Fallen Angels and Happy Together and they are both fantastic, but unfortunately out of print. Wouldn't even need new transfers imo. Not sure what the rights situation is with them, but those two at least have Criterion/Janus logos on Filmstruck.

Ashes of Time Redux has a region-free UK release that can be picked up cheaply. Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By both have Hong Kong releases that are pretty decent, good picture with some minor subtitle problems (I found them to not be onscreen quite long enough, making it hard to keep up, but haven't compared to the old dvds). There's also Korean versions which are the same with slightly nicer packaging and I bought those this year. They can be found on ebay for decent-ish prices. Not cheap, but as a fan I was willing to pay. HK and Korea are both blu-ray region A.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/As-Tears-Go-By-Blu-ray/3753/#Review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Days-of-Being-Wild-Blu-ray/1979/

What's really unfortunate to me is that there doesn't seem to be an actual blu-ray release of 2046. There was a Korean release but per the blu-ray.com forums it's just a bad upscale and isn't available to purchase anywhere that I can find anyway.

I'll probably import the UK My Blueberry Nights for the sake of completion and I'm due for a rewatch and it's cheap anyway. And of course the only available version of The Grandmaster here is the shorter cut. I've got to just assume the rights situation for a lot of these movies is some sort of nightmare since Wong is fairly well known and I'd expect there to be decent demand for his films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FancyMike posted:

That doesn't seem quite right, I bought my Chunking Express blu-ray in 2009, not sure when it went out of print though but I think it's been quite a while.

Chungking bluray was apparently printed in 2008 and 2015, both rapidly unavailable. Leaves me hope for another shot.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chungking bluray was apparently printed in 2008 and 2015, both rapidly unavailable. Leaves me hope for another shot.

Criterion apparently got the rights back, along with other films of his and are doing new 4K restorations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion apparently got the rights back, along with other films of his and are doing new 4K restorations.

My dream came true today.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I know this is getting a little off topic but where do you find this news? I've seen them posting stuff from Fallen Angels and Happy Together on twitter since they went up on Filmstruck but I'm not finding any actual news on a quick search. Hopefully they've got more than just those three, though I (probably, hopefully) won't be buying all these movies for a third time. It maybe wouldn't be great for owners of the individual releases, but Chungking Express and Fallen Angels should really be put out in a set together, and Days of Being Wild + In the Mood for Love + 2046 would be amazing

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FancyMike posted:

I know this is getting a little off topic but where do you find this news? I've seen them posting stuff from Fallen Angels and Happy Together on twitter since they went up on Filmstruck but I'm not finding any actual news on a quick search. Hopefully they've got more than just those three, though I (probably, hopefully) won't be buying all these movies for a third time. It maybe wouldn't be great for owners of the individual releases, but Chungking Express and Fallen Angels should really be put out in a set together, and Days of Being Wild + In the Mood for Love + 2046 would be amazing

Chunking Express and In the Mood for Love are now distributed by Janus Films.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Quest ('96) - 2/4. Fun but obviously not very good. Stereotypes galore in a lower budget cross between Mortal Kombat and Bloodsport. Decent direction by jcvd though.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ghost in the Shell.

3.5 / 5

I really loving liked it. It was a random something to watch off of netflix tonight. I could tell within 5 minutes it must be based on a manga and of course a search i did a minute ago confirmed that!

The plot is one of those ones where you can predict the whole thing almost immediately but its a nice ride so if you are going to watch it dont worry about reading spoilers because its pretty obvious whats going to happen but its enjoyable with really nice visuals and a bunch of cool action scenes.

The actors all do their jobs, scarlet johahahhanson is as wooden as ever but seeing as she is basically playing a loving robot it doesn't really matter.

The subject matter itself is something that everyone is starting to think about but like I said the plot gives itself away really quickly but it didnt seem to matter to me tonight. Very enjoyable :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I guess it's been too long since I posted in here... scores out of 100:

Point Break (1991) - 84 (rewatch)
Strange Days (1995) - 82 (rewatch)
The Hurt Locker (2009) - 81 (rewatch)
The Florida Project (2017) - 87
Alien: Covenant (2017) - 73
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - 86
The Lego Batman Movie (2017) - 80
Atomic Blonde (2017) - 85
All That Jazz (1979) - 94
Carol (2015) - 87
The Weight of Water (2000) - 59
Colossal (2017) - 88
12 Years a Slave (2013) - 90
The Big Sick (2017) - 81

Plus many James Bond movies:

Dr. No (1962) - 74
From Russia with Love (1963) - 76
Thunderball (1965) - 73
You Only Live Twice (1967) - 76 (rewatch)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - 77
Live and Let Die (1973) - 72
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - 70 (rewatch)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 72

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

First new movie I've seen in a while.

This Property Is Condemned (1966): B

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guess it's been too long since I posted in here... scores out of 100:

Point Break (1991) - 84 (rewatch)
Strange Days (1995) - 82 (rewatch)
The Hurt Locker (2009) - 81 (rewatch)
The Florida Project (2017) - 87
Alien: Covenant (2017) - 73
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - 86
The Lego Batman Movie (2017) - 80
Atomic Blonde (2017) - 85
All That Jazz (1979) - 94
Carol (2015) - 87
The Weight of Water (2000) - 59
Colossal (2017) - 88
12 Years a Slave (2013) - 90
The Big Sick (2017) - 81

Plus many James Bond movies:

Dr. No (1962) - 74
From Russia with Love (1963) - 76
Thunderball (1965) - 73
You Only Live Twice (1967) - 76 (rewatch)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - 77
Live and Let Die (1973) - 72
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - 70 (rewatch)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 72

I'll take your Colossal review, I like to see people write about that movie.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finally got around to seeing Lucky (2017) -

This is a tough film to review. It's essentially a walking simulator with Harry Dean Stanton's life and career as a setting. HDS plays the eponymous Lucky, an ancient resident of a tiny town who has his routine down to a science. A health scare kicks off a series of meditations on aging, dying, legacy, loneliness, fear, and peace. HDS is joined by David Lynch, Tom Skerrit, Ron Livingston, Ed Begley Jr. and others for a series of set pieces and conversations, some hilarious, some poignant, some downright harrowing. Nothing much happens, but it feels like A LOT happens at the same time.

I think this film is excellent. It's quiet and contemplative, but the character interactions are enough to keep the runtime feeling purposeful and worthwhile. Depending on your "life stage", this movie may land with you differently or not at all. My wife and I are in our mid-30s still trying to have kids, so the depiction of the relentless march of time was perhaps sadder and scarier than if we were 24. If you were 90, it's probably a really amazing example of making peace with the Void beyond.

My HDS knowledge is confined to Alien and Twin Peaks, so for me, this was a solid 4/5. If you're a real Stant-head, this is probably a 5/5 for you.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cat People ('82) - 3/4, keeps the tension up, you're afraid of them turning because of the people they'll hurt. Some great framing too at times, and it plays the topic fully seriously, a big plus for me

Burmese Harp 4/5, nice slow contemplative film; really awkward how the film never brings up what japan did in the war though

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Conquest (1983) 3/5
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) 5/5
Breaking News (2004) 4/5
The Blair Witch Project (1999) 4/5
Escape From L.A. (1996) 3/5
Millionaires Express (1986) 3/5
Justice, My Foot! (1992) 3/5

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I finally watched Atomic Blonde.

I was excited for it, I like Charlieze Theron, I love John Goodman, and the previews looked good.

I was... really disappointed. There was really no intrigue; like as soon as they mentioned the double agent, I went 'I'm sure it's her', and the fight scenes left me cold for the most part.

The the biggest peeve I had was some of the music choices. The English language cover/version of Der Kommissar?! A Marilyn Manson cover of Ministry's Stigmata?!

I expected better of you Atomic Blonde.
2.5/5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

First new movie I've seen in a while.

This Property Is Condemned (1966): B

Natalie Wood is great in that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rick posted:

Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis carry the gently caress out of this movie. I think after Killing Of A Sacred Deer and Get Out this is my 3rd favorite of the year so far.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (2017) -

Haunting, eerie, unnerving, unpleasant, at times darkly comic, at other times bleak. Elsewhere I described the film as a weird mix of Eyes Wide Shut, We Need To Talk About Kevin, and The VVitch. That's the best I can do. The film is a tale of cosmic revenge, ancient and unknowable, told with the weird sterile alienation of late capitalist creature comforts. It's kind of about class and kind of about justice and kind of about real fear and real menace.

4/5 - it's unlike anything I've seen this year, it will stay in my mind a long time, and I love that someone allowed such a film to be made

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (2017) -

Haunting, eerie, unnerving, unpleasant, at times darkly comic, at other times bleak. Elsewhere I described the film as a weird mix of Eyes Wide Shut, We Need To Talk About Kevin, and The VVitch. That's the best I can do. The film is a tale of cosmic revenge, ancient and unknowable, told with the weird sterile alienation of late capitalist creature comforts. It's kind of about class and kind of about justice and kind of about real fear and real menace.

4/5 - it's unlike anything I've seen this year, it will stay in my mind a long time, and I love that someone allowed such a film to be made

Yeah, with mother!, The Square, and Sacred Deer...2017 has been a stellar year for bleak as gently caress critiques of paternalism, capitalism, and class. The last time poo poo felt this dark to me was 2007, which was an especially strong year for film all around.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Natalie Wood is great in that.

Yes she is. The reason I kept watching the movie was that her character was so interesting. You really feel for her throughout the movie because her acting seems so real.

That, and mid '60s Natalie Wood was definitely easy on the eyes.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Lady Bird (2017)

I don't normally care for teen coming-of-age films, but this was really good. Another point for A24. Saoirse Ronan is great but the mom is the one with the best performance in this film. Pacing is alright, character development is well done, however don't expect some sort of poignant Oscar-worthy scene out of this movie. It doesn't really get to that level.

Score: A-. Well, maybe an A.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes she is. The reason I kept watching the movie was that her character was so interesting. You really feel for her throughout the movie because her acting seems so real.

That, and mid '60s Natalie Wood was definitely easy on the eyes.

Anyone seen Love with the Proper Stranger? Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen together seems like an awesome prospect, but I guess chemistry would be a big requirement.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rick posted:

DLC Inc posted:

Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis carry the gently caress out of this movie. I think after Killing Of A Sacred Deer and Get Out this is my 3rd favorite of the year so far.

Basically this. I really like the whole nice guy turns out to be psychotic dipshit thing, especially because the way he's psychotic is totally believable and down to earth, rather than crazy serial killer bullshit or whatever. I did think the stuff near the end with the reveal about how they got the power to turn into the monster + the robot was a little over wrought, and Anne Hathaway's performance was so good it sort of highlighted how her character was a little thin and underdeveloped, but aside from that I really liked it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rewatched Blade 2 to prepare for the WHM live podcasting this weekend. The woman lead is a charisma vacuum and Donnie Yen gets killed OFFSCREEN but I'd still give it a 3/5 even if you have the gall to KILL DONNIE YEN without letting him fight Wesley Snipes. So much poo poo in this movie was definitely template for Hellboy and The Strain.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Blade 2 is one of my favourite movies, I remember that evening when I managed to get into a Blade / Blade 2 doublefeature despite being onle 16 or 17 (film was 18+ in Germany) and my friend and I then had to sit in the first row. Such a glorious night.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Murder on Orient Express (2017) - 3/4, solidly made with a few moments that elevate to great

Pathfinder (2007) 3/5, could use some more lighting but a thin (but good) story told effectively, and karl urban is cool

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oof, I knew that Justice League having a review embargo was a bad sign, but it's sitting at 40% as of now on Rotten Tomatoes (who just released scores). Anyone here seen it yet and have thoughts?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Oof, I knew that Justice League having a review embargo was a bad sign, but it's sitting at 40% as of now on Rotten Tomatoes (who just released scores). Anyone here seen it yet and have thoughts?

The reviews in the Justice League thread are leaning towards :mediocre:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Killing of a Sacred Deer: 1/1, white people are banal and crazy. The mashed potatoes outburst said it all, really.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer: 1/1, white people are banal and crazy. The mashed potatoes outburst said it all, really.

How's your relationship with symbolism these days?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Murder on the Orient Express - Solid 3/5.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

How's your relationship with symbolism these days?

Cheeky :). I prefer to just do quick basic reviews here.

Blade of the Immortal: 4/4, live action anime but good and cool and not stupid.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Repo Man: 5/5, total commitment to its world, reminded me of Joe vs the Volcano that way. Recurring theme with Otto (auto) being the passenger, not sure what it means yet, (aside from the obvious).

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Loving Vincent - 4/5. Holy poo poo this is one of the most beautiful movies I’ve ever seen. The story drags a bit but just watching the artistry involved in making this is a sublime experience. Oddly, at times it reminded me of an early 90s Sierra adventure game.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962) 5/5 - watched in the shameful thread
The Lady from Shanghai (1947) 5/5 rewatch - one of my favorite noirs and I don't care how ridiculous Welles' accent is
I Am Waiting (1957) 3/5 - pretty good. My first watch from the Nikkatsu Noir set and I'm planning on getting through them all this month
The Sleep Curse (2017) 3/5 - Herman Yau is not alright with collaborators. Takes a while to build up to the goriest bits but the end definitely delivers. Anthony Wong with a cleaver.
Dark Star (1974) 4/5 - goofy fun. Carpenter is the best
The Mobfathers (2016) 3/5 - Chapman To bringing democracy to the triads is very funny. Enough CGI blood to be distracting though.
The Villainess (2017) 4/5 - this was really great. Not my favorite action movie of the year but I did like it more than John Wick 2.
The Lost Boys (1987) 4/5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrTT5KbJfc
Faces (1968) 4/5 - watched in the shameful thread

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thor Ragnarok's second half is really fun, so see it for that reason. You probably won't be as bothered by the first half as I was since I haven't seen anyone else talk about it.

I accidentally watched Ice Princess but if you like seeing movies that are just batshit, this is for you. There is a girl who ice skates in a denim jacket.

Also, aren't you fascinated by what Snyder is doing? That's why I decided to see Justice League at least. It's probably his best film since Watchmen, although that's faint praise.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rick posted:

Also, aren't you fascinated by what Snyder is doing? That's why I decided to see Justice League at least. It's probably his best film since Watchmen, although that's faint praise.

Except apparently there is internet clamor for the 'Snyder Cut' :shrug:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Except apparently there is internet clamor for the 'Snyder Cut' :shrug:

Hahah, I'd never clamor for it but at this point I think I'd watch it just out of morbid curiosity. Although if what I have read is correct the parts of the movies that I liked were Whedon's so I wouldn't expect it to be good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good Time (2017) - 4/5. This is a very fun and unique crime thriller/drama flick. Think Heat if half of the robbers were mentally challenged. Also with fewer guns. Despite the unfortunate lack of huge shootouts, the movie keeps a very good pace and maintains tension and excitement throughout most of the film very effectively. Robert Pattinson in starring role is great and completely unrecognizable now that he's not playing an autistic vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kiss Me Deadly (1955, Robert Aldrich) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5
Cronos (1992, Guillermo del Toro) [Filmstruck] - 4/5
Geometria (1987, Guillermo del Toro) [Filmstruck] - 3/5
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979, Werner Herzog) [Filmstruck] - 4/5
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975, Terry Gilliam/Terry Jones/et. al.) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5 (rewatch)

The Tale of Zatôichi (1962, Kenji Misumi) [Filmstruck] - 4/5
Time Chasers (1994, David Giancola) [MST3K] - Episode: 5/5
Gunslinger (1955, Roger Corman) [MST3K] - Episode: 4/5
My Best Fiend (1999, Werner Herzog) [Filmstruck] - 4/5

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 21, 2017