Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeimosRising posted:

Man, The Wailing really goes for broke. You could probably get three separate movies out of Barney Fife Vs The Exorcist, Barney Fife Vs 28 Days Later, and Barney Fife Vs The Pedophile Wizards but they chose to go with all three at once. It's a trip

I somehow hadn't got around to watching this yet. Gonna fix that tonight I think, if it's on any of my usual streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I somehow hadn't got around to watching this yet. Gonna fix that tonight I think, if it's on any of my usual streaming services.

It's on Netflix in the US

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I love that movie so loving much. It's so spacious, both plot and cinematography-wise, while being hilarious and a teeny bit soul-crushing.

There's stuff I don't quite get plot wise and I don't feel like I have a total grip on it after one watch but it was really good

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's so drat good, but be prepared for extreme tonal whiplash as the Korean Keystone Kops bumble into, well, whatever is going on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

married but discreet posted:

It's so drat good, but be prepared for extreme tonal whiplash as the Korean Keystone Kops bumble into, well, whatever is going on.

"Tonal whiplash" is basically a code word for "tailored precisely to the tastes of Tuxedo Catfish."

SMP
May 5, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

It's on Netflix in the US

There's stuff I don't quite get plot wise and I don't feel like I have a total grip on it after one watch but it was really good

It's probably the only movie that benefits from looking up an explainer on YouTube afterwards. Korean folklore plays a huge part in it, and the film is clearly meant to be understood by it's audience.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tonal whiplash is my favorite part of Korean cinema.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that's what I love about Korean films as well is the tone shift.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SMP posted:

It's probably the only movie that benefits from looking up an explainer on YouTube afterwards. Korean folklore plays a huge part in it, and the film is clearly meant to be understood by it's audience.

I can see that being an issue but that's not the stuff that threw me. I have a solid grip on Korean and broader northeast Asian folklore and shamanism because I worked in the region as an anthropologist/archaeologist for years

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

DeimosRising posted:

I can see that being an issue but that's not the stuff that threw me. I have a solid grip on Korean and broader northeast Asian folklore and shamanism because I worked in the region as an anthropologist/archaeologist for years

I pickup a slightly different reading everytime I watch it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DeimosRising posted:

Join the discord and talk about this or just talk about it in the thread. I want to know more

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Wailing has easily as much to do with Judeo-Christian hegemony as it does with Korean folklore and shamanism, I feel like that weighs heavy on both the comedy and horror of it.

I stand by my assessment that it's the best horror film of 2016, and my summary that it's like A Nightmare on Elm Street meets Hot Fuzz.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How is Caltiki the Immortal Monster?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

I stand by my assessment that it's the best horror film of 2016, and my summary that it's like A Nightmare on Elm Street meets Hot Fuzz.

I definitely agree that The Wailing is a top competitor for best of 2016, the only other film I'd consider would be The Eyes of My Mother.

2016 really had better foreign horror than what was made in the U.S., there was Train to Busan, The Wailing, The Eyes of My Mother, and Under the Shadow compared to Don't Breathe, Hush, The Conjuring 2 and I guess 10 Cloverfield Lane. United States loses in that comparison and in my opinion it's not close.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Wailing is fantastic. I think the woman is the least likely of the three potentially-supernatural entities to be evil, but I'm not sure it even matters -- the larger point of the movie is that this stuff is so far beyond human comprehension that when a normal person gets caught up in it, their situation is essentially hopeless. Even telling people to have faith is useless when there are so many great powers with contradictory expectations of obedience and trust.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Eh, to me that's only if we're going super-conventional in terms of what gets labeled horror. We also had The Greasy Strangler, the underrated 31, The Love Witch, I Am Not a Serial Killer, Kill Command, The Neon Demon, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Trash Fire, Officer Downe, and the also underrated Blair Witch. The Wailing is just really, really good, but I'd say most of the films I just mentioned are good competition for Train to Busan and The Eyes of My Mother.

Semi-related, Sadako vs. Kayako is also really, really good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

Join the discord and talk about this or just talk about it in the thread. I want to know more

Whaddaya wanna know? I'll try to answer any questions you have this evening

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Semi-related, Sadako vs. Kayako is also really, really good.

Just now finally getting to that eh?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DeimosRising posted:

Whaddaya wanna know? I'll try to answer any questions you have this evening

Like so many things. There was a lot of stuff I did not pick p on because I don't really know the mythology. Could you talk about some of the myths the film explores?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally watched a chunk of Crystal Lake Memories, it's as awesome as folks have said. :3:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just now finally getting to that eh?

I got to it in early October and posted about it in GenChat.

I'd even go as far as to say it's the best Grudge movie, but as far as Ring films it still has stiff competition from The Ring Virus.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
most underrated film of whatever year it was released

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't seen it but the grudge series isn't particularly good so that's not exactly high praise. Also the best ring is ringu

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

How is Caltiki the Immortal Monster?

Terrible. But it's terrible on YouTube, at least.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
For reference, in my humble opinion, the good Ring films are Ringu: Kanzenban (exceptional trash), Ringu (pretty good), The Ring Virus (horror masterpiece), Ring 0: Birthday (pretty drat good), Sadako 3D 2 (pretty good), and Sadako vs. Kayako (horror masterpiece).

Tolkien minority posted:

I haven't seen it but the grudge series isn't particularly good so that's not exactly high praise. Also the best ring is ringu

The first two direct-to-video films, the Japanese theatrical and American remake, and Ju-on: White Ghost are all pretty good, but, yeah, Kayako is definitely the Jason to Sadako's Freddy. Sveek is basically a full-on Ring movie until the last act.

And, nah, Ringu is fine, but The Ring Virus is a vastly better shot and more atmospheric film.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I kinda liked Rasen. It was about as accurate to the book as you could get without going full-bore crazy.

Also, I like The Grudge more than Ringu. I love the way it plays with space and time, even for the viewer, and how most of the installments bring something new to the table. Avoid the third US film though, that one's awful and it's obvious that Shimizu was not involved.

Now I need to track down all those super obscure DTV crossovers with the two series. It's harder than you'd think

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

Terrible. But it's terrible on YouTube, at least.

It looks like it has a lot of pretty great cinematography, which is of course a given with Bava, and I like the concept that the 50s B-movie blob monster is an ancient godlike entitiy of some sort instead of a space sludge. But it doesn't seem like it brings much else to the table.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dick Smith's DIY monster makeup book looks fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it me

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I have that! I used his blood recipe for a presentation in 12th grade English. I showed clips from Friday the 13th and Aliens and broke down how the special effects were done (barbed wire around throat, Kevin Bacon arrow, and chestburster) and had a jar of Dick Smith blood next to me the whole time.

Whatever dumb opinions I voice in this thread, I'm still one of you.....

Not sure what happened to the book, though....

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I also really like this dude:

I am working on a TV project that will probably not get off the ground but if it does one of the episodes will feature a monster that looks exactly like this dude or as close as I can get.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That is a dope design.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Reminds me a bit of Shock Waves.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Reminds me a bit of Shock Waves.

Is that movie worth watching? It's been on my radar for a while.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Is that movie worth watching? It's been on my radar for a while.

Yeah it kicks rear end. I've never seen that poster for it before, that also kicks rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shock Waves is excellent, yeah.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bad Batch is on Netflix now and it's real good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dick Smith's DIY monster makeup book looks fun.

I want this book I've got Tom Savini's which taught me how to blunt a razor blade so it wasn't dangerous...............casually pulling one out in the pub and placing it in your mouth is a great if slightly stupid way of freaking people out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

I want this book I've got Tom Savini's which taught me how to blunt a razor blade so it wasn't dangerous...............casually pulling one out in the pub and placing it in your mouth is a great if slightly stupid way of freaking people out.

lol this rules, what's the Savini book?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think I still have my copy of this book somewhere. It was awesome. It even had how to make a Freddy Krueger, a Frankenstein, and a Pinhead.

I actually need to dig it up, since it explains how to make limbs and stuff, and I need that for a short film I'm trying to make.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol this rules, what's the Savini book?

I'd also like to know about the Savini book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I️ have the Savini books. Theyre called Grande Illusions and Grand Illusions 2.

It’s been a while since I read them, but they’re less practical than Dick Smith’s, but the first one goes into some DIY stuff. But the real cool stuff is he goes though all the movies he had done at the time and shows how he did the effects and a ton of cool behind the scenes shots from Maniac and Friday the 13th and Dawn of the Dead.