Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sagebrush posted:

PrusaSlic3r is better than either Cura or S3D in my opinion.

I've always recognized that is slices really well, but its interface has always left me wanting more. I now see that they've added one of the biggest things I've missed, a 3D model interface with gcode preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Revol posted:

It seems to me like S3D is easier to configure because it has less to configure.

Never checked the "Advanced" section of S3D, eh?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I'm trying to figure this out again and I am losing my mind. I need help finding a good blower fan mount that can be installed onto the Titan extruder, that is printer agnostic. Too many fan mounts are designed for specific printers. The only worthwhile ones I've found that install onto the Titan extruder itself are really basic, that is just a big spigot that blows in one direction directly onto the part itself, with less focus on the extruding material. I'd love to use something like a Diicooler. I once tried a mount that installed onto the E3D hotend fan, but that's a poor design.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Never checked the "Advanced" section of S3D, eh?

I have all that turned on. What I am referring to are options like the ability to configure acceleration and jerk, something I've already done in the firmware.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Acceleration and jerk can be set with M codes in your starting gcode script. That's not really a slicer-driven feature.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Made with some $5-on-clearance Hobby King translucent PLA, no infill and totally hollow. It's going to be the topper for this year's Game of Thrones-themed Christmas tree because my girlfriend and I are hopelessly nerdy adult-children. For the non-GoT folks, it's the "Kingslayer's Golden Hand."

Looking forward to jamming some lights up its little hand-butt.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

Made with some $5-on-clearance Hobby King translucent PLA, no infill and totally hollow. It's going to be the topper for this year's Game of Thrones-themed Christmas tree because my girlfriend and I are hopelessly nerdy adult-children. For the non-GoT folks, it's the "Kingslayer's Golden Hand."

Looking at the photos I was gonna make a joke about it being Jamie Lannister's hand. It's NOT A JOKE

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Nope, but you can feel free to laugh at us anyway for Geek Tree 2017 if you want to. We have no shame, and she's not a goon anyway so she'll never see it. :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm sure it will be glorious, valar morghulis

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Acceleration and jerk can be set with M codes in your starting gcode script. That's not really a slicer-driven feature.

Right. My concern is that, as far as I am aware, Cura forces you to configure these options. S3D does not because they are not available for configuration.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Revol posted:

Right. My concern is that, as far as I am aware, Cura forces you to configure these options. S3D does not because they are not available for configuration.

You can leave that stuff blank in Cura and it'll be ignored. I have all of my jerk/accel values set in firmware and don't even worry about what Cura thinks. The downside is that it throws off the print time calculations, because it has no idea what the actual values are. I'm consistently about 20% slower than the estimate because I'm set up fairly conservatively.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is it possible to print with a brim that is easy to clean? It's a great way to prevent curling, but it becomes a pain to remove from the print. I have the ability to separate the skirt/brim from the model, with 0 being a connected brim. If I had a very slight separation, like 0.1mm, would the skirt be close enough to insulate the model from curling?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The point of the brim is that it provides increased surface area and mechanically holds the print down, so no, I don't think it's possible to make it work without touching the part.

Why are your brims hard to remove? Mine (which I only use on particularly difficult parts, like long thin pieces) usually peel off with almost no effort and a deburring knife takes care of any extra leftover bits.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Revol posted:

Both of these statements are wrong. Cura doesn't force you to configure them and S3D doesn't have specific configuration options for them (because their documentation on the support forums says basically what I said above, if you want to move away from your firmware defined values for those you can use Mcodes in your starting script).

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sagebrush posted:

The point of the brim is that it provides increased surface area and mechanically holds the print down, so no, I don't think it's possible to make it work without touching the part.

Why are your brims hard to remove? Mine (which I only use on particularly difficult parts, like long thin pieces) usually peel off with almost no effort and a deburring knife takes care of any extra leftover bits.

Maybe my brims aren't large enough? My recent prints used two lines worth on my .4mm nozzle, and 6 using my .15mm. If they were larger, maybe I'd have a better chance at peeling.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If anybody is interested in buying cutting-edge-in-2011 tech, this printer is up for $399.99

No LCD controller, basically requires USB tethering to something (preferably Octoprint on a Raspberri Pi).

About the only good thing about it is the published print area, but that's a bit deceptive as the actual heating element on the bed is only 120mm x 120mm and randomly placed within the specified build area on the glass plate.

You know, for anybody that thinks "I'd like to have a Mendel90 in a plastic frame, but don't want to build it myself).

Keep in mind that this printer was originally $800, dropped to $500 and is now offered in the linked listing to apparently get rid of them since the company rolled out it's new machines.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Revol posted:

Maybe my brims aren't large enough? My recent prints used two lines worth on my .4mm nozzle, and 6 using my .15mm. If they were larger, maybe I'd have a better chance at peeling.

Mine are 6mm wide, so about 15 lines' worth.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't use brims myself but two lines is way smaller than any brim I've ever seen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man, refurbed the Rostock Max over the past week or so. It all started when I stripped the heater block on the HE280 when changing a nozzle. Whoops! Since I had to order a new heater block from SeeMeCNC, I also ordered new GT2 6mm wide belts (remember, on a Rostock you need TWO 5 meter kits)

I converted from the stupid glass thermistor job to one of the 3mm threaded brass thermistors, to screw right into what is normally the wire lock hole in the block. Put new belts in and tightened the gently caress out of them. Even with the old belts tightened, I could still "skip" the stepper gear by pulling quickly down on the carriages. With the new belts, they're locked fast.

I pulled the RAMBo board out and re-tightened all of the wire connections. Even after this, I was still having a persistent issue where the hotend won't get all the way up to my set temp, stalling at like 239 when I have it set to 244. Eventually, this causes the printer to shut down, thinking it has a broken heater. It'll show "def" for temperatures on the screen when it does this. So, I replaced it with a spare heater cartridge. Unfortunately, it was still doing the same thing. I tried it without the thermal fuse, and the problem went away, so I guess it's time to order a new thermal fuse.

Rebuilt the hotend and tightened everything down, oiled the fan (that stupid loud tiny fan, ugh!), and squared up the towers. I left off the part cooling fans, as they're quite heavy and I print solely in ABS so I generally don't need them. I may print out a single fan holder instead of the current 3. I also broke one of the plexiglass panels for the "corners" like two years ago, so I finally spent 5 minutes and cut out a sheet of plastic from an old trash can. And, of course, stickers.

Today was a good day.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 14, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Man, refurbed the Rostock Max over the past week or so. It all started when I stripped the heater block on the HE280 when changing a nozzle. Whoops!

What happened that caused the strip? Were you trying to change the nozzle without the heater block heated up?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It was heated up (well, enough, using the dual-wrench technique to avoid burning myself). I removed the old nozzle, put a new one in, and just barely tightened the new nozzle and it stripped right the gently caress out. Heater block is just aluminum, after all.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I finally took matters into my own hands and created my own part cooling fan mount.

That's a lie. I didn't so much make this myself, as I literally hacked two designs together. I think it's very obvious where one design is merged into the other. What is cool about this though is that it is the first time I designed a part by including other models in the process. I brought in models of a Titan extruder and E3D V6 heater so that I could properly align things. To do this, I had to modify the mount, moving it to the side more so that the heat block fits.

I knew this would happen, though. I can't install it as it is, because the BLTouch is in the way. The yellow part is another hack job I did, where I took somebody else's extruder/BLTouch mount and modified it to fix a design fault. I'll have to modify it further and move the sensor further away, which should be easy enough.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

If you're gonna jam lights in it, you might want to heat cure it first. Normal PLA doesn't have very high heat tolerance

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Fayez Butts posted:

If you're gonna jam lights in it, you might want to heat cure it first. Normal PLA doesn't have very high heat tolerance

LEDs don't get the warm.

Assuming he's going to be using LEDs.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been doing some experiments with colouring filament (using a sharpie) before it goes into the extruder. I think I might engineer a way to use fountain pen cartridges to colour my filament.

If y'all have any natural or white filament try it.

The white streak is a metallic paint pen

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

Yeah, I'd planned on-

Luminaflare posted:

LEDs don't get the warm.

Assuming he's going to be using LEDs.
This. :) I might go with a single neopixel so I can try to dial in a nice golden color, or I may just throw a few regular 5mm white ones together and bask in its shining glory. I need to dig through my big tub-O-components and find everything. I do appreciate the concern though, Fayez - I never, ever disregard anyone when they're looking out for my safety.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just discovered some cool OctoPrint plugins.

Tempsgraph - This is a huge upgrade to the temperature graph. It allows you to scroll back, zoom in, save graph as PNG, and more.

FilamentManager - I'm really excited to try this. It lets you manage your filament spools, so it'll track how much you use of a spool during a print, and then you'll have a list of how much of each spool is left. Since I don't have new spools, or a way to weigh what I currently have, I'll have to wait to use it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just saw this stuff, which is somewhat softer than ninjaflex

https://flexionextruder.com/shop/x60-ultra-flexible-filament-black/

and it says this

I've had excellent results printing Ninjaflex with my Titans once I got the tension dialed in, and now part of me wants to buy a roll of that stuff just to spite them and prove that they're full of poo poo

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

BMan posted:

Don't use 2.85mm with the volcano, 1.75mm melts faster.

2.85 can give higher throughput. E3D did some work on this. video

Given a constant hot zone length, time to melt is proportional to radius, but time spent in the hot zone is proportional to the area.

Basically while it takes longer to melt, the additional volume lets you melt more at once and is emptied slower.

You should probably still use 1.75 because it's easier to get, more varieties are available, and easier to use with other extruders. I'd only bother with 2.85 if all you're gonna do is big stuff, or want to go with huge nozzles. You're not gonna be able to use 1.75 with a 2mm nozzle. Maybe if you want to do some extremely long bowden setup where the additional stiffness could help.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have been a very busy print-goon

The trigger mechanism for my slingshot is functional

I have no life

Edit:
But it works on a small scale atleast

https://youtu.be/F7birzUZ4I0

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 15, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I've had excellent results printing Ninjaflex with my Titans once I got the tension dialed in, and now part of me wants to buy a roll of that stuff just to spite them and prove that they're full of poo poo

If you don't have a fully supported filament path, eventually that poo poo is gonna bend right and get caught and jam. They just don't want to deal with the support headache trying to explain why the filament doesn't work with the hundreds of iterations of printers out there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The continuing saga

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm getting a lot of laughs at the people blaming Tom for what Tevo is doing.

It's like the people that come out of the woodwork to defend Anet printers whenever you say something bad about them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I’m curious if he’ll be able to get a human at YouTube to remove those fraudulent clicks

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
LOL if you think Youtube gives a poo poo about hobbyist drama.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Same thing happened to Dave at EEVBlog when he posted a ripping-apart of the claims behind the "batterizer", a device that was supposed to double the life of any AA battery it was clipped onto. He showed how their claims were impossible, got some angry responses from the company founders, and then a few days later all his videos started getting mass-downvoted from Vietnam.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
downvotes and upvotes function identically for the algorithms in the youtube ecosystem.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

Same thing happened to Dave at EEVBlog when he posted a ripping-apart of the claims behind the "batterizer", a device that was supposed to double the life of any AA battery it was clipped onto. He showed how their claims were impossible, got some angry responses from the company founders, and then a few days later all his videos started getting mass-downvoted from Vietnam.
He's done like half a dozen videos just aout debunking batterizer by now, lol.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:reddit: Hey, you can't PROVE it was Tevo that bought the dislikes :downs:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anybody got some random supplies they want to stock up on?

https://twitter.com/DanielRTurner/status/930904405058179072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

mewse posted:

The continuing saga

That's loving gross