Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That doesn't require handing over parts of "Israel proper", though, which is what fool_of_sound is asserting. :shrug:

A legally legitimate settlement would, but that's not really in the works. Sovereignty is an issue to discuss though since Israel essentially demands any potential Palestinian state not have any, but this is a stupid angle to come at this point by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Palestine would not be the only non-contiguous sovereign country, anyway. Quite a few countries have exclaves, Kaliningrad being the most famous one.

With a third of their population? I'm sure you know this argument is disingenuous.

Disinterested posted:

A legally legitimate settlement would, but that's not really in the works. Sovereignty is an issue to discuss though since Israel essentially demands any potential Palestinian state not have any, but this is a stupid angle to come at this point by.

My point is more that there is no reasonable agreement that would result in a viable Palestinian state at this point.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nothing I've said has indicated this, and I've indicated the direct opposite. Every state should have 100% open borders. In the interim, it's unfair to single out some countries for betraying this ideal paradigm and not others.

How have I mischaracterized BDS? I think immigrants are great and I support the two state solution, and have a giant paper trail on both of those topics. Do you have single shred of evidence that I oppose either of those things? No, because you're just smearing anyone who argues against your right wing chest pounding. You support policies that will lead to endless war and mass deaths along ethnic and sectarian lines. Either own it, or stop supporting stupid policies and start supporting the peace process.

Kim Jong Il posted:

The only just solution to the refugee problem is financial compensation.

Your want to keep the refugees out. Stop puking up empty platitudes, no one gives a poo poo about your "paper trail" or whatever the gently caress lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fool_of_sound posted:

With a third of their population? I'm sure you know this argument is disingenuous.

No, what's disingenuous is pretending that territorial contiguity between the West Bank and Gaza is part of the obvious two-state solution when you have basically introduced this requirement yourself.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, what's disingenuous is pretending that territorial contiguity between the West Bank and Gaza is part of the obvious two-state solution when you have basically introduced this requirement yourself.

I absolutely am not the originator of that requirement.

It has been a major component of Palestinian demands for decades. It's frankly bizarre that you are arguing otherwise.

e: Anyway, even ignoring Gaza, Israel has zero interest in withdrawing from the West Bank or forfeiting what amounts to total control of Jerusalem.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 13, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fool_of_sound posted:

I absolutely am not the originator of that requirement.

It has been a major component of Palestinian demands for decades. It's frankly bizarre that you are arguing otherwise.

It's not talking about taking up Israeli territory, it's talking about free passage between the separate territories. They reject Israel wanting the ability to limit movement between the two region, treating them as separate entities.

Your first source and subsequent sources cite the 1967 borders. Here are the 1967 borders:

There is nothing physically connecting the West Bank and Gaza. There is no basis here for any land to be taken out of Israel proper to allow for a physical connection - again, this would mean that Israel would be split into two parts, according to you ceding its sovereignty. That's not the two-state solution.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not talking about taking up Israeli territory, it's talking about free passage between the separate territories. They reject Israel wanting the ability to limit movement between the two region, treating them as separate entities.

Your first source and subsequent sources cite the 1967 borders. Here are the 1967 borders:

There is nothing physically connecting the West Bank and Gaza. There is no basis here for any land to be taken out of Israel proper to allow for a physical connection - again, this would mean that Israel would be split into two parts, according to you ceding its sovereignty. That's not the two-state solution.

Oh, I was misinterpreting, sorry.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fool_of_sound posted:

Oh, I was misinterpreting, sorry.

No worries, the terminology can be confusing. And at this point, as per your edit, I'm pretty sure the Israeli government's solutions, such as they express any, don't even involve keeping the Palestinian-controlled areas inside the West Bank contiguous, so it's kind of moot.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The 'territorial contiguity' issue is both about the passage issue AA cites but more significantly about the fact settlments and checkpoints have essentially rendered the west bank in to an archiapelago of Palestines intersected by the Israeli security apparatus.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Two state solution is never going to work.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
At this point, the only thing that's going to work is global warming making the area uninhabitable, making it all moot.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was really shocked to see this and that no one seems to be talking about it.

https://canarymission.org/

This sketchy group (likely state-sponsored) has assembled hundreds of dossiers on pro-BDS college activists and is attempting to prevent them from getting future employment. These are just kids, and they're being targeted by this sophisticated, well-funded, high-tech lynching. It's incredibly sickening.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's pure fascism.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Canary Mission is overzealous. Some of the people they profile actually are rabid antisemites and should be held accountable. But they take it too far; they tend to also profile anyone who speaks out against the occupation, even if they don't criticize Israel's existence or use Anti-Zionist language.

For instance, this person is the president of her college's SJP chapter:
https://canarymission.org/individuals/ayah-aly/

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Ehud-Barak-Im-most-fit-to-lead-514371

quote:

EHUD BARAK: I’M MOST FIT TO LEAD

Former prime minister Ehud Barak, who has said he would not make a political comeback, appears to have changed his mind.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
canary mission doesn't have a page on me so they've objectively failed

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Jeb! meme deader than a two-state solution

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The sad thing is that Barak probably would make a good PM and is just about the only Israeli politician with the balls to take bold action. But he has no chance to be elected, I don't know why that fool let himself be turned into a joke the past two decades.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The sad thing is that Barak probably would make a good PM and is just about the only Israeli politician with the balls to take bold action.
What on earth makes you think that?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Lebanon.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

"eat my rear end big boy" "ehud my children are watching"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wrong Ehud.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Acting on something that was a matter of "yeah, guess we'll have to eventually" consensus for a decade and horribly botching the actual execution?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yes, my expectations of Israeli politicians are super low.

I also don't share this whole "execution was botched" narrative but I think it's less important.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
they all look the same

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
legit always thought that was a picture of ehud barak lol i am completely faceblind

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
when i was 6 my cousin asked me who my favourite spice girl was, i didn't care about the spice girls but wanted to be her favourite cousin so i said scary spice and she said why and i said because she looks like my mother. later when the spice girls broke up, i never quite grasped the details but apparently scary spice was bullying the red one or something look i don't know. anyway, it was a very emotional time for her and i remember her yelling at me "scary spice looks NOTHING like your mother! your mother isn't BLACK!"

i was also naturally very excited to add to my ariel subfolder called "yaoi gaze"

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
so tbh i barely looked at the other guy

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

noyes posted:

canary mission doesn't have a page on me so they've objectively failed

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The sad thing is that Barak probably would make a good PM and is just about the only Israeli politician with the balls to take bold action.

Counterpoints: Geneva; Camp David; slaughtering Palestinian protestors after Sharon's visit to the Haram al-Sharif; bombing PA jails and police stations, thus making an all-out orgy of bloodshed that characterized the post-massacre, post-bombings portion of the 2nd Intifada an inevitability. He's a violent, unscrupulous racist just like Netanyahu; it's just that Netanyahu is more transparent.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FreshlyShaven posted:

Counterpoints: Geneva; Camp David; slaughtering Palestinian protestors after Sharon's visit to the Haram al-Sharif; bombing PA jails and police stations, thus making an all-out orgy of bloodshed that characterized the post-massacre, post-bombings portion of the 2nd Intifada an inevitability. He's a violent, unscrupulous racist just like Netanyahu; it's just that Netanyahu is more transparent.

Yes but he also did one good thing. How many living Israeli PMs can boast of that?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nameless_Steve posted:

Canary Mission is overzealous. Some of the people they profile actually are rabid antisemites and should be held accountable. But they take it too far; they tend to also profile anyone who speaks out against the occupation, even if they don't criticize Israel's existence or use Anti-Zionist language.

For instance, this person is the president of her college's SJP chapter:
https://canarymission.org/individuals/ayah-aly/

This is bad and she should be shamed but its really unrepresentative I think.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

No two state solution is viable unless Israel not only cedes half of Jerusalem and all settlements in the West Bank, but parts of Israel proper as well. You clearly oppose all of those things as genocide, so your ostensible solution is hollow.

The Palestinian Authority has agreed for swaps between Israel and the West Bank, it's not particularly controversial. I really don't have any opinion on giving them a dedicated corridor, but it both seems unnecessary, and pointless as the West Bank and Gaza are probably destined to separate ala Pakistan and Bangladesh.

What you propose (in the sense that it is absolute certainty that Israel will trade parts of Galilee for Gush Etzion and Ma'ale Adumim) means that a peace deal is impossible, but I have not in any capacity claimed it would be "genocide". Genocide has a silly definition that doesn't correspond with what people actually think it is, but even under that dumb definition that wouldn't possibly apply to this otherwise bad idea.

You need to come to terms with the fact that you virulently oppose peace.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Your want to keep the refugees out. Stop puking up empty platitudes, no one gives a poo poo about your "paper trail" or whatever the gently caress lol

I don't want to stop a peace deal because of insisting on something that will never be politically viable or logistically feasible. You also didn't engage with any of what I was actually arguing. I don't think Palestinians should have any say over Israeli law just as Israelis shouldn't have any say over Palestinian law. If they do something you don't like, you can recall the ambassador or whatever. The refugee issue was closed after the mass expulsion of Mizrahim.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 17, 2017

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"saying "i hate jews" in public is bad for your career" is something that all young professionals need to learn, but there are gentler ways to do it than becoming the target of an international smear campaign

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

You need to come to terms with the fact that you virulently oppose peace.

You’ve literally said in this thread that a Palestinian right of return and expulsion of Israeli settlers in the West Bank is genocidal. I’m phone posting now, but if you deny this I’ll go pull quotes later.

A peace deal that is effectively a legitimized occupation will not in fact result in peace.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Isn’t the relevant precedent here West Berlin? Germans could drive between Berlin and the rest of West Germany, just on controlled-access roads enclosed by checkpoints.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't want to stop a peace deal because of insisting on something that will never be politically viable or logistically feasible. You also didn't engage with any of what I was actually arguing. I don't think Palestinians should have any say over Israeli law just as Israelis shouldn't have any say over Palestinian law. If they do something you don't like, you can recall the ambassador or whatever. The refugee issue was closed after the mass expulsion of Mizrahim.

The only thing in this blurb that's relevant is your declaration that accepting refugees isn't politically viable or logistically feasible. The rest is a smoke screen. Stop it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pirate Radar posted:

Isn’t the relevant precedent here West Berlin? Germans could drive between Berlin and the rest of West Germany, just on controlled-access roads enclosed by checkpoints.

In a sense that it reflects the restricted movement rights, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/AP/status/931686844315656193

How's that peace effort going, Jared?