Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

prefect posted:

Dali is bad? :(

Dali was a diehard facist who even into the 1980's talked about how much he loved Franco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I dont know posted:

Dali was a diehard facist who even into the 1980's talked about how much he loved Franco.

is fascism inherently bad, if it's not weirdo racism fascism? what if we had, like, a dictatorship of the proletariat?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

maskenfreiheit posted:

is fascism inherently bad, if it's not weirdo racism fascism? what if we had, like, a dictatorship of the proletariat?

Shut the gently caress up.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

it's a joke... in a thread for a show that has very dark themes

grow up :)

anywyas what do people think they'd do with princess caroline's character next season? (Or maybe they'll background her?)

I've liked her thus far but I feel like her arc doesn't have a lot of room to grow in it

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's a joke... in a thread for a show that has very dark themes

grow up :)

Tell better jokes.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

Tell better jokes.

it's a good joke brent

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

maskenfreiheit posted:

anywyas what do people think they'd do with princess caroline's character next season? (Or maybe they'll background her?)

DivisionPost posted:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

maskenfreiheit posted:

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/215-huey-long

the answer is way more complicated than "shut the gently caress up", and it's a genuinely good question, but the answer is still "yes". I mean, FDR wasn't a fascist, but he did a fuckload of some pretty dubiously legal poo poo as president (never mind the like, internment), like for instance try to double the size of the supreme court so he could stuff it full of judges he wanted. Its not fascism, but its basically the executive doing their damnedest to control the judiciary, which is a big step in fascists direction. Never mind the internment stuff, which, again, was straight up fascist.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/215-huey-long

the answer is way more complicated than "shut the gently caress up", and it's a genuinely good question, but the answer is still "yes". I mean, FDR wasn't a fascist, but he did a fuckload of some pretty dubiously legal poo poo as president (never mind the like, internment), like for instance try to double the size of the supreme court so he could stuff it full of judges he wanted. Its not fascism, but its basically the executive doing their damnedest to control the judiciary, which is a big step in fascists direction. Never mind the internment stuff, which, again, was straight up fascist.

i was more trying to call attention to the fact we often ignore/excuse fascist tendencies in public figures but pillory anyone who appears even slightly leftist, but this is also super interesting.

i actually did one of my first reports in college on Japanese internment during WWII and how many of the legal precedents for it have not been reversed.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Racism is literally a requirement for fascism under pretty much every definition of the term.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WrightOfWay posted:

Racism is literally a requirement for fascism under pretty much every definition of the term.

No its not? Huey Long was fairly racist but not significantly moreso than was expected at the time, and his policies didn't really marginalize any race, but they were sure as hell fascist. All you need for fascism is tribalism, a strongly ideological belief system, and a willingness to consolidate power in a singular entity at the expense of and persecution of peoples outside of the entrenched authoritarian power structure. Typically this is racism with the persecution of marginalized peoples being of a specific race but its not necessary, and indeed there has been fascist governments who specifically targeted political groups. Most of them have, in fact.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

How would you describe a government like the one in Singapore?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I think that strictly speaking, fascism is about conflict and control. Like, if fascists ever rule the world, the next step is to split up and start fighting again. Like war brings out the best in humanity or something.

Of course the point is to be superior, so there's a 99% chance you'll focus on genetic superiority, as stated in Nazi Germany's 14 words.

This has been another great episode of CWDTKDTKSLFO! And now a word from our sponsors!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Somebody just post the Umberto Eco link.

Eh, I'll do it. Here it is: Ur-Fascism.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

bojack would be an excellent D&D poster by all accounts

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

bojack would be an excellent D&D poster by all accounts
CSPAM

Diane would post in D&D

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FactsAreUseless posted:

CSPAM

Diane would post in D&D

Mr. peanutbutter would be a solid BYOB and Ask/Tell poster.

Todd would hang out in GBS and somehow get modded in a day.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

New thread by bojack about why texting and driving is important

prefect posted:

Somebody just post the Umberto Eco link.

Eh, I'll do it. Here it is: Ur-Fascism.

Ugh I can't finish this, what does it say

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 13, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Calaveron posted:

I mean there's probably a reason why both his ex wives are incredibly resentful of him

I dunno, I think Katrina might just be a jerk and Jessica Biel doesn't really resent him she just wants power at any cost.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Billzasilver posted:

Ugh I can't finish this, what does it say

Eco points out that while fascists and fascist parties bring their own pet ideas to the table, fascism as a concept boils down to

1. A cult of tradition that insists the Truth has already been discovered by some respected philosopher and/or bygone culture and no further debate is necessary,
2. A rejection of modern "degeneracy" and Rationalism,
3. A solid preference for action over thought,
4. A vicious hatred of criticism, disagreement, and diversity,
5. An appealing narrative that captures a discontent middle class by blaming a sliding economy on outside forces, races, or nations,
6. And which further declares that everyone must be be a noble hero dedicated to fighting an enemy which is simultaneously powerful enough to oppress everyone everywhere and weak enough to quickly defeat.
7. Finally, there needs to be a populist leader who represents the Will of the People, but the People in this case are a discontent minority projecting their anger onto a more easygoing and democratic majority.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, I think Katrina might just be a jerk and Jessica Biel doesn't really resent him she just wants power at any cost.

She was sick of being B-list so she became a Bielist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

maskenfreiheit posted:

How would you describe a government like the one in Singapore?

Totalitarianism and Fascism are different types of authoritarian governments.

Bojack would be banned instantly because he couldn't resist signing his posts "Bojack, Bojack Horseman, from Bojack Horsemen, on Netflix"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
bojack would be a prolific tviv poster, and get probated for bringing up horsin' around in all the other threads

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bojack would get banned and re-reg to post in this thread over and over again

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Bojack would get banned and re-reg to post in the breaking bad thread over and over again

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Iron Crowned posted:

There must be a sinister reason behind Officer Fuzzyface's name :ohdear:

I tried to petition to name our current kitty "Baron Fuzzyface Von Miau Miau" back in 2006. I was voted down.

Needless to say, Officer Fuzzyface is near and dear to my heart.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Bust Rodd posted:

Bojack would get banned and re-reg to post in this thread over and over again

I imagine it similar to how when Tao Lin was posting about himself.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
:nms:

https://twitter.com/BoJackHorseman/status/931336351068307456

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Welp that is enough internet for today.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pick posted:

How would Trump not be a rhino.

WHAT?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Sad!est Rhino

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

That's too much man.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pick posted:

How would Trump not be a rhino.

In my mind a bloated badger would be the most appropriate animal to represent him

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zil posted:

Todd would hang out in GBS and somehow get modded in a day.

todd is actually a lowtax origin story

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

zeal posted:

todd is actually a lowtax origin story

hollyhock is pick

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

maskenfreiheit posted:

hollyhock is pick

:wrong:

Hollyhock would be just an above average shitposter

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

hollyhock is pick

I think Diane would be Pick imo.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Iron Crowned posted:

:wrong:

Hollyhock would be just an above average shitposter

I couldn’t see anyone of Hollyhock’s age posting on these forums. I guess she could head to the R/Relationships thread and argue that actually, polyamorous relationships can work.

Pick is more of a PC.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I can't tell if this forum is more obsessed with Lena Dunham or with Pick while I'm out here bored to tears of hearing about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zil posted:

I think Diane would be Pick imo.

Diane is not nearly neurotic enough.

I will accept Princess Caroline as a substitute.