Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Speaking of fifth season Voyager, since when did Starfleet have a "no loving the locals" rule? Did anyone tell Riker about this? Or Kirk? Or are those two the reason the rule was made.

Also am I supposed to assume that every time Tom Paris or Chakotay got intimate with an alien they called up Janeway first and asked permission?

You're supposed to assume that they made it up for that episode and it will never be mentioned again.

"Faster than light, no left or right!" :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'd want to treat all the novels as NOT REAL CANON except that in the Voyager ones it's revealed Harry's girlfriend dumped him as soon as he got home, because he was still an ensign and that was holding her career back

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

You're supposed to assume that they made it up for that episode and it will never be mentioned again.

"Faster than light, no left or right!" :downsrim:

I assumed it was created in response to Trip's little whoopsie on the NX-01. And to be fair, the regulation is "no loving the locals until our doctors have talked with their doctors about potential biological issues from our species loving."

The Siege of AR-558

Well that was depressing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Suspicions. Guinan apparently refuses to see any doctors except Crusher, which even considering their clique surprised me.

Oh Crusher's leaving, or maybe not.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crusher disgraced Starfleet Medical and caused an interstellar incident :stare:

I like the phrase "interstellar incident"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is the whole real episode gonna be a narrated flashback by Crusher? Okay, I'm down

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ferengi have a government? I figured it was ancapistan

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't really get why someone needs to fly the shuttle who's "more objective." What does objectivity have to do with piloting. Or are they afraid the Ferengi will stay in the corona too long because he has too much faith in the shields?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Ferengi have a government?

And how! Not one of the better reasons to watch DS9, but, DS9 addresses the hell out of this.

This episode sucks. It’s also the last time you’ll be seeing Guinan as far as I remember.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope this Ferengi scientist is actually a good guy and didn't just steal the shielding plans or something

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

skasion posted:

And how! Not one of the better reasons to watch DS9, but, DS9 addresses the hell out of this.

This episode sucks. It’s also the last time you’ll be seeing Guinan as far as I remember.

Spoilers you fucker

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

99.2% chance something goes wrong during this test

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Spoilers you fucker

It isn't true anyway

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

pyrotek posted:

It isn't true anyway

Unless he watches the movies, I’m pretty sure it is

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Apparently baryon radiation (do they mean alpha particles?) makes you choke

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I like the phrase "interstellar incident"

Come see my new band Interstellar Incident next Sunday at the civic center.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't see how Crusher medically misconducted herself so far

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The alien who died is, I swear, named Joe Grill

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

skasion posted:

Unless he watches the movies, I’m pretty sure it is

I do understand your argument that they shouldn't count

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jesus the Ferengi dies too. And it just cuts to him already dead. I hate this episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard is kind of a cardboard cutout this episode, I dunno if that's intentional to represent how Beverly perceives him, or just lazy writing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I still don't know who did it but it probably wasn't the Klingon scientist.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh I see she's gonna perform the autopsy illegally

Yep

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Boy this is slow and boring. That's the specific kind of episode I wanted to avoid but I guess if it's the last time Guinan appears...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I assumed it was created in response to Trip's little whoopsie on the NX-01. And to be fair, the regulation is "no loving the locals until our doctors have talked with their doctors about potential biological issues from our species loving."

Ironically such a rule wouldn't have prevented that situation because Trip didn't know it was happening; the alien lied to him and took advantage of him.
"Touch my pearls Tucker, it's a...uh....very important diplomatic protocol among my people. Oh yeah don't stop you dirty girl...uh...ignore what I just said, that's uh just a term of professional respect. Don't get weird about this. And don't tell anyone else on my ship, for um no reason okay?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh I see she's gonna perform the autopsy illegally

Yep

This episode is weird in retrospect considering that in DS9 we find out that an autopsy on dead Ferengi is mandatory in their culture and must be done as soon as possible so the sections of the corpse can be freeze-dried and auctioned off to friends and family as souvenirs.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If it was sabotaged before why wouldn't it be still? Did she fix it somehow

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHAT

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So wait did he make his cells secrete tetrion particles when he was pretending to be dead to confirm her hypothesis? Why didn't Crusher realize that wouldn't actually kill him? How would he get fame credit for developing this shield if he's supposed to be dead? Is it going to answer any of this?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You guys missed klingon nudity on Discovery tonight and it looked like something out of Species :gonk:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't think vibrations from hitting the ball is what causes tennis elbow

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And that was the end. What an unsatisfying episode. Worst of Season 6 that I've watched but I skipped one or two so they might've been worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You guys missed klingon nudity on Discovery tonight and it looked like something out of Species :gonk:

Star Trek? Nudity? Does not compute.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

This episode is weird in retrospect considering that in DS9 we find out that an autopsy on dead Ferengi is mandatory in their culture and must be done as soon as possible so the sections of the corpse can be freeze-dried and auctioned off to friends and family as souvenirs.

Is the vacuum dessication thing mandatory? I thought it was more like cremation, in that it's an accepted funeral practice, but not what everyone does, especially because it would only be worth it for wealthy/famous/popular Ferengi.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've only seen the first few episodes of Discovery. If I hadn't seen those I don't think I would have believed you. Now though... :gonk:

EDIT: Also, let the thought of Klingon nudity be your reminder to cancel All Access since there won't be new episodes for two months.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 13, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Is the vacuum dessication thing mandatory? I thought it was more like cremation, in that it's an accepted funeral practice, but not what everyone does, especially because it would only be worth it for wealthy/famous/popular Ferengi.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it we can't be sure. It was only mandatory in that episode because there was a futures contract involved and breaking a contract is super illegal in Ferengi law and you get unpersoned if you do it.

I'm not sure how that works actually, like poo poo happens all the time and contracts can't be fulfilled, you'd think it would cause economic catastrophe if everyone were constantly losing business licenses every time a shipment gets lost. Seems like the natural way for everyone to deal with this would be to put options in every contract so it would never come up. On the other hand maybe that's a feature: rich individuals and powerful corporations have the clout to negotiate escape hatches in their contracts to apply to themselves, but any little guy who deals with them just has to accept whatever one-sided offer he gets. Sort of like mandatory arbitration in present-day USA.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cythereal posted:

I've been led to believe this is not my daddy's loving Star Trek...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astroman posted:

I've been led to believe this is not my daddy's loving Star Trek...

Yeah, sounds like it's chasing that "Darker! More violent! More sexy!" chicken, which I have zero interest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, Star Trek never, ever had a thing for boobs, especially of the Klingon variety...