Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The House of Cards thread is in archives so posting this here.

House of Cards’ Writers Rushing to Rewrite Season 6 After Kevin Spacey’s Exit.

I don't know what others think of this, I know the show was flagging in the last couple seasons, so some probably don't care too much. But I still would definitely prefer a recast to a rewrite. Kevin James jokes aside, I think there are plenty of great actors who could be pull off smug political weasel with a southern accent just as good if not better than Spacey. Bryan Cranston, Alec Baldwin, Aaron Eckhart, Edward Norton, note to mention a bunch of English actors who would just own the poo poo out of the role. Give it to Hugh Laurie for example.

Also, like the goon who's been posting here about their recent marathon of the show, I can't stand Claire's character, she's just not interesting enough, and giving her more screen time only makes it more annoying. So rewriting the show to almost invariably center around her is just going send it further into a nose dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't know what others think of this, I know the show was flagging in the last couple seasons, so some probably don't care too much. But I still would definitely prefer a recast to a rewrite. Kevin James jokes aside, I think there are plenty of great actors who could be pull off smug political weasel with a southern accent just as good if not better than Spacey. Bryan Cranston, Alec Baldwin, Aaron Eckhart, Edward Norton, note to mention a bunch of English actors who would just own the poo poo out of the role. Give it to Hugh Laurie for example.

I haven't read the article, but I imagine the scramble is because the cast and crew have contracts, they need to resume filming by a certain date in order to get production done within that timeframe, and finding someone who can commit to a several-month television shoot at the last minute isn't exactly easy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Replace Spacey with....

*shakes magic celebrity 8 ball*

......Steve Guttenberg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The last couple seasons of House of Cards have been unbelievably boring and yet I still watched them, although with Spacey's fall from grace, I see no reason to even keep reluctantly watching it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The last couple seasons of House of Cards have been unbelievably boring and yet I still watched them, although with Spacey's fall from grace, I see no reason to even keep reluctantly watching it.

The latest season wasn't super great but season 4 was awesome, you gotta at least give it up for Pussy Riot's guest spot and Not-Putin skeezing on Claire.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/929813327487946755

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

next year's poetry slam nationals are gonna have a field day

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's destiny you came here.

"poo poo."

Dirk Gently season 2 has been really good so far

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I put it to this thread that the greatest musical episode is undeniably Brigadoom from Lexx.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo:

https://twitter.com/errolmorris/status/929864713692889089

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

-Blackadder- posted:

Also, like the goon who's been posting here about their recent marathon of the show, I can't stand Claire's character, she's just not interesting enough, and giving her more screen time only makes it more annoying. So rewriting the show to almost invariably center around her is just going send it further into a nose dive.

Eh, I'd prefer they don't recast him. Given how last season ended they don't really need him around and could refer to him without having him on screen if they really wanted to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I put it to this thread that the greatest musical episode is undeniably Brigadoom from Lexx.

Yeah, easily, though the competition honestly isn't all that strong. Some don't actually go all out on the musical bit, some just suck.

I think the only other one I really like is Oz's -- probably because half the cast are Broadway stars. BD Wong's cover of Tori Amos is hysterial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiE8AqntU_g

Edit: gently caress I FORGOT NIGHTMAN

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Whatever you think of a Claire for a main character, a recast would just be too pointless after the S5 finale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Whatever you think of a Claire for a main character, a recast would just be too pointless after the S5 finale.

SMILF continues to be excellent. Samara Weaving is so drat adorable.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 13, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

SMILF continues to be excellent. Samara Weaving is so drat adorable.

Wait, she's in it? I remember her from Ash vs Evil Dead and The Babysitter. She's loving great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

My thoughts on WIl Wheaton and his smuggo face are on official record.

TIFU: I just bought Ready Player One on Audible, Wil's dulcet tones will be reading to me for the next 15 hours.

The best part is when he reads the line about himself being president.

And by best I mean it should really illustrate what a pile of rancid poo poo ready player one is.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh my god the Orville thread is full of so many bad opinions.

Unrelated,

IRQ posted:

And by best I mean it should really illustrate what a pile of rancid poo poo ready player one is.

I don't get the Ready Player One hate. Is this another "This mockery of nerdom must end! You are tainting my childhood!" that Ghostbusters caught? I kinda liked both Ghostbusters and Ready Player One. I don't think they're super awesome or anything but mindless fun, sure.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 13, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a few issues with Ready Player One, but the most egregious one is that the middle section is overly long and boring. Don't know who edited it but they didn't do a very good job.

Then there's the fact that it's almost entirely comprised of 80's references and pandering, and the ending sucks.

There are some neat ideas (the towers of RVs bolted together is neat imagery, and a realistic depiction of a future dystopic America I don't believe I'd seen before) but overall it's not very inspired. Give me some William Gibson or Neal Stephenson over RP1 any day of the week.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's a bad story told badly that people only like because they Get The Reference.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

There are some neat ideas (the towers of RVs bolted together is neat imagery, and a realistic depiction of a future dystopic America I don't believe I'd seen before) but overall it's not very inspired.

That was also plagiarized. I forget from where but of course it was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Who cares how bad ready player one is. It's an afternoon read, it's not like you're making a huge time investment in it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/Snoodit/status/930136302162296832

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What a waste.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bezos trashing his desk demanding some one bring him the next Game of Thrones and they came up with this

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Bezos - "Bring me Game of Thrones"
Uninspired producers - "Umm.. did you like Lord Of The Rings?"

Edit: Beaten

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw on another forum (probably Blu-Ray.com, because of course) that some people were excited by the possibility of a Harry Potter TV show. Because 7 (8?) movies obviously weren’t enough.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd rather have them try Dresden Files again than anything else. At least it'd be unique.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Where's my motherfucking Dune prestige TV series?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well at least we'll get some Tom Bombadil

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All those people who said the absence of Tom Bombadil was a big deal, we're about to find out they were full of poo poo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Amazon with with genre over tone, for my money the best existing series they could have optioned is Red Rising with multiple POVs thrown in because that absolutely nails the things people like about Game of Thrones without getting bogged down in the muck. But it's sci-fi space opera. But I think some movie is already in dev for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Where's my motherfucking Dune prestige TV series?

Way too much rape in the source material.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw on another forum (probably Blu-Ray.com, because of course) that some people were excited by the possibility of a Harry Potter TV show. Because 7 (8?) movies obviously weren’t enough.

13 when you count the 5 prequel movies

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for the Legolas-Gimli sex scene

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

I can't wait for the Legolas-Gimli sex scene

I can't wait for Legoli and people identifying as Elfkin.

The only place you could do it after LotR is NZ right? Some kiwi's about to get paid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good luck to the actor playing Gandalf.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Good luck on any of the actors, for real. All gonna be considered second rate to the movies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Bezos trashing his desk demanding some one bring him the next Game of Thrones and they came up with this

Just fuckin' do Nine Princes in Amber already

c'mon, people!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There aren't even any creatives on board. The statement just congratulates all of the great ideas the producers have had. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

With Amazon's production schedule by the time it actually comes out it'll be time for LOTR to get a reboot anyway.

• Locked thread