Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

frajaq posted:

I just learned that Fringilla Vigo is a card that exists :smith: I was wondering why the enemy was stacking buffs on a single target...

I do miss the old Fringilla gambit deck back in the gold immune days. Bluff your opponent into passing early (but not too early) in R1, then play out your hand with uncontested Ambassadors and the old spy-duplicating Novices to buff the poo poo out of one unit, Fringilla onto a second unit, then Combat Engineer both. Round 2, open with Letho eating both units and see if your opponent can put triple-digit points on the board before he runs out of cards (or if he has a DShackles/DBomb).

In the current game she's just too unreliable; half the time you're just handing your opponent the world's biggest Scorch/Igni for free. You can still use her offensively with spies, though, at least (drop an Emissary next to a giant unit and Fringilla it to 2), and she can work as a finisher with Tibor and a golem or another unit if you manage to get CA (and nothing happens to Tibor first).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The other great thing about reveal is once you see a bamboozle card like Fringella in your opponent's hand, it's pretty trivial to play around it.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm having a really, REALLY bad time playing NR right now. It seems like there's so much removal, my Siege Supports get blown up instantly, removing most of the power of my deck. Armor's been neutered, so there's not a lot there going on. I have no idea what to do.

E: Right after I post this I get a keg with a Ge'els and a choice between Regis, Vattier, and Caretaker (whom I already have). Thanks for trying to cheer me up Shupe buddy :unsmith:

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 8, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Myrmidongs posted:

I'm having a really, REALLY bad time playing NR right now. It seems like there's so much removal, my Siege Supports get blown up instantly, removing most of the power of my deck. Armor's been neutered, so there's not a lot there going on. I have no idea what to do.

Yeah, I keep having hanselt players ragequit on me and I honestly feel kinda bad about it. Sweers and muzzle poo poo on that deck really hard.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I was toying with Foltest Swarm before I moved over to ST Handbuff. It's one of those solitaire decks where you just plod along doing your own thing then hopefully you win with a ludicrous amount of force. If they kill your Siege Support just play another or play a PFI, and then use a Reaver Scout on whatever sticks. Just remember to save Foltest until after you have a couple of PFIs or Germain on the board.

I haven't checked back in to see how this type of deck has evolved since the meta settled (has it settled yet?) but my version probably needs some tuning. I don't really know if swarm is competitive at all but it got me through wood league pretty quickly.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

...just so I don't get embarrassed in some future match, if I "kill" a unit using a Weaken effect, like Mardroeme/Peter/Mandrake, it doesn't trigger Deathwish effects correct?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

frajaq posted:

...just so I don't get embarrassed in some future match, if I "kill" a unit using a Weaken effect, like Mardroeme/Peter/Mandrake, it doesn't trigger Deathwish effects correct?

You are correct

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

It also removes them from the game instead of graveyarding them. It's a fantastic way to derail the Nekker/slizard train and mandrake also has some utility against Skellige and Hanselt (to remove their first siege support so they can't Shani it).

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Dwarven Agitator is fun if there's only one Dwarf they can get.

Dinho Eledair
Feb 20, 2006

frajaq posted:

As long as that unit's base power is equal to or less than the amount you weaken by. Even if you don't kill it, as long as its base power was reduced to zero or less it will not go to the graveyard after it is finally destroyed, which means no deathwish effect will occur.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Seedge posted:

Dwarven Agitator is fun if there's only one Dwarf they can get.

Yeah, all the 1/2 health tutors are fun cards IMO. I really like heymaey battle maiden, though running more than 2 can get a little sketchy at times.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I switched things up and am running an armor deck now. So far it's doing alright, it's not being played to death right now so a lot of people have no idea what to expect out of it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gwentlemen released a snapshot and lol

I should just give up and learn how to play Spygaard, it seems it's never getting nerfed

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm going to bet that at some point, playing multiple emissaries in a row that summon an impera enforcer won't give you a number of free shots. I'd also perhaps expect a little more than that to be adjusted, but that is a little bit of an odd interaction.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Captainicus posted:

I'm going to bet that at some point, playing multiple emissaries in a row that summon an impera enforcer won't give you a number of free shots. I'd also perhaps expect a little more than that to be adjusted, but that is a little bit of an odd interaction.

I'm really skeptical about reveal being tier three. I'm still in the midranks but I consistently beat spies and harpooners and it's really the "tier two" decks that give me trouble. I guess that's sort of what the tiers mean, but if people take that "tier one" to heart it'll actually be good for reveal.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Tibor-Fringilla Nilfgaard may be by far my worst matchup along with Spell'a'tael as Spy Nilfgaard, honestly.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Both those matchups should be pretty easy with Peter, and true Spella'tael is easily an auto-win if you can replay him with Emhyr. Even with Calveit, between Peter and Infiltrator + Menno you shouldn't have much trouble with nuking big units.

If you start seeing a lot of Fringilla NG at your tier, you could consider running Igni as well, but that's probably going to leave you a bit lacking in a lot of other matchups.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, I've been using Assire + Roach, but I really should switch her for Peter. I normally run Calveit because I prefer his voice acting, truth be told :shobon: I've been debating the possibility of swapping Roach for Auckes, but I'm not decided on that yet.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wait a second, Peter ignores Shields? These Dol Blathanna Protectors always have that :argh:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

frajaq posted:

Wait a second, Peter ignores Shields? These Dol Blathanna Protectors always have that :argh:

If I recall, the Quen shield does block the weaken effect, but not the reset, so in the case of Spell ST, Peter won't banish the Protectors, but he's still very effective when played late enough that they won't get buffed a bunch by new spells.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

frajaq posted:

Gwentlemen released a snapshot and lol

I should just give up and learn how to play Spygaard, it seems it's never getting nerfed

Spy Nilfgaard just has too much synergy right now and it's hard to disrupt.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I didn't know they didn't block resets. There's lots of weird interactions with shield I never learned because they don't come up enough.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

dennyk posted:

If I recall, the Quen shield does block the weaken effect, but not the reset, so in the case of Spell ST, Peter won't banish the Protectors, but he's still very effective when played late enough that they won't get buffed a bunch by new spells.

You are correct.

I think it's because a reset could be either a positive or negative effect, and thus isn't classified as either. A shield blocks a damage effect, but a reset isn't strictly speaking a damage effect. A player could wish to reset one of their own damaged units back up to full strength.

Those goofy cards that "set" an enemy's strength to a lower value are classified as damage effects and are blocked by Quen. Really they need to better phrase the effect of "set" cards like Frigilla and Serrit, because nobody seems to intuitively grasp how they work.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:thunk:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

New players are great, aren't they?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So, did you win,?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also farming rounds by playing your spy to bait them into passing then dropping a few cards to take the round, then forfeiting, is something I've seen before.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Duckbox posted:

So, did you win,?

He used literally all his cards so yes. I still don’t really know what I’m doing though.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Sometimes you just need a win for the next Daily tier before you go to work.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This Spell'Tael deck swim is playing with Operator into Summoning Circle for even more Protectors is just disgusting :smithfrog:

I legit don't get how I could win against it with most other decks

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Reset as a mechanic basically blows up protectors. It sets them to 2 power, even through the quen shield, so it's effectively as good as a Coral/Jade Idol effect. That said, most reset cards aren't that great, so if you need to run four of them to counter Spell'Tael it'll probably sink your WR vs. other decks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I haven't played since the first month or so this was public, but I've played 80 hours of Witcher 3 since buying it last month, so I decided to play this again today. I bought the $5 starter set, got a shitload of mulligan based elf cards, so I built a mulligan deck. I'm 6-0 in casual so far, because I'm not level 10 yet.

In my last game I learned you can mulligan to redraw the card you mulligan, which blew my mind. It's a free +3 to your best card in hand with Francesca.

Next I need to save up the scraps to get Sarah.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ok, after a little more keg and scrap spending I've made this Francesca deck.

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Blue Mountain Commando - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Trapper - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Dudu
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Royal Decree
Triss Marigold
Avallac'h: The Sage
Saesenthessis

Wardancers get mulliganed out. Commandoes flop out in a mass. Officers boost off of vanguards or, failing that, trappers. Brigade is weather control or a beefy officer target if need be. Els and Cleaver are weird, I know, but with mulligans I can guarentee Els in hand and cleaver in deck, which makes Els a 14 point play plus lock.

So what do I do next? Saskia is my next creation, obviously, but I'm not sure what she replaces. I also don't know what my next step after that is. I think I take Dudu out, as Francesca's boost is nulified if I dig him out, but he's generically useful and I don't know what to replace him with. Ida Emean?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Ok, after a little more keg and scrap spending I've made this Francesca deck.

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Blue Mountain Commando - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Trapper - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Dudu
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Royal Decree
Triss Marigold
Avallac'h: The Sage
Saesenthessis

Wardancers get mulliganed out. Commandoes flop out in a mass. Officers boost off of vanguards or, failing that, trappers. Brigade is weather control or a beefy officer target if need be. Els and Cleaver are weird, I know, but with mulligans I can guarentee Els in hand and cleaver in deck, which makes Els a 14 point play plus lock.

So what do I do next? Saskia is my next creation, obviously, but I'm not sure what she replaces. I also don't know what my next step after that is. I think I take Dudu out, as Francesca's boost is nulified if I dig him out, but he's generically useful and I don't know what to replace him with. Ida Emean?

+aglais
+idea mean
+saskia
-royal decree
-triss
-dudu

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

frajaq posted:

This Spell'Tael deck swim is playing with Operator into Summoning Circle for even more Protectors is just disgusting :smithfrog:

I legit don't get how I could win against it with most other decks

A single mardroeme is a good card atm, if you can spare the tech slot. Keep it vs st/nilf/monsters and crush those buffs and nekkers.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Up Circle posted:

+aglais
+idea mean
+saskia
-royal decree
-triss
-dudu

Aglaiss is a dead card in a lot of matchups atm. Zoltan and gigni are better choices.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

There a set date for the steam release yet?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Minrad posted:

Aglaiss is a dead card in a lot of matchups atm. Zoltan and gigni are better choices.

in that case id take zoltan

edit if you have dol blathanna archers i'd take them over trappers, but that's just personal preference.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Up Circle posted:

edit if you have dol blathanna archers i'd take them over trappers, but that's just personal preference.

That's a thought. Consistent 4 damage versus the gamble with the trappers.

+idea mean
+saskia
-decree
-dudu

I'll do that for now and think about the last gold while I save up scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So guys, I'm getting bored with Nilfgaard and starting to think reveal may be tier 3 after all. I'm thinking it's time I cashed in my 8k scrap and tried something like Scoiatael. What's a deck that's actually fun?