Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I keep my wallet in a USB key in my literal butt. So if they’re gonna get it they gotta literally hack my butt.

You wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah the usb key that everyone keeps in their butt is only for really important things

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

yeah the usb key that everyone keeps in their butt is only for really important things

Cool story.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Axe-man posted:

Hackers are on the look out to do poo poo to steal bitcoins and other poo poo there is a reason why they estimate that every bitcoin in circulation has been stolen at least once.

This is a very dumb statement.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Stanley Pain posted:

This is a very dumb statement.

Plus ça change, for this thread.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Axe-man posted:

Hackers are on the look out to do poo poo to steal bitcoins and other poo poo there is a reason why they estimate that every bitcoin in circulation has been stolen at least once.

Is english your first language?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In circulation, not the money people have left in wallets ignored and forgotten about. I'd agree that on average the amount of money circulating probably all has been used for something criminal, be it directly stolen though exploits, used in scams, or just for buying drugs and other illegal things. It's hard to find a legit use for it in the first place, people exchanging real money (or gift cards) for it are almost certainly a fence to get more into the criminal pool of money, even if they don't know it and are 5 levels removed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think Axe-man was making a joke?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Dyslexia struck again, my bad. Yeah, don't worry about it.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

apropos man posted:

I've been a casual holder of Bitcoin since about 2014. Not a lot of money, but never had a wallet hacked. I've used electrum for PC (Windows and Linux) and various Android wallets. Would you care to elaborate how easy it is to get your wallet hacked?

I once had my PayPal hacked a couple of years ago, via eBay keeping the PayPal account unlocked after I'd bought something. I got the money back after assuring eBay/PayPal that I never bought those $150 shoes and that I'd never heard of the address they'd been delivered to.

Never lost a single Satoshi when it comes to Bitcoin, though.

lol

https://magoo.github.io/Blockchain-Graveyard/

Themage fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 10, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I'll post on here when my wallet gets hacked.

e: gently caress! It's empty!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Anybody else get a nicehash payout that still hasnt processed on coinbase? Its ok since its "low" right now but this is the longest ive ever had to wait

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

apropos man posted:

I'll post on here when my wallet gets hacked.

e: gently caress! It's empty!

I know I shoulda realized this due to you posting in this thread but man, you are a dumb fucker.

Consider for a moment that a major eth wallet(parity) was just hacked and everyone’s Monopoly money was deleted. Or the numerous buttcoin wallets/apps that have been hacked over the years.

Why do you think this isn’t going to happen to you?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

Anybody else get a nicehash payout that still hasnt processed on coinbase? Its ok since its "low" right now but this is the longest ive ever had to wait

womp womp womp

The transaction from Nicehash to Coinbase I received on 11/10 was "Pending" all day. I was busy until today and checked Coinbase and the transaction record has been removed from my account completely and my balance is at 0.00 BTC. All I have is the email I got from Coinbase.

Keep an eye on your stuff everyone

Edit: well since everything is public record it was pretty easy to find the transaction I was "part" of, or however this works

https://blockchain.info/en/tx/4259dc7ce821d2b06a401831060bc3cb806d73e788bd6347c717a9a535cbace5

Big red UNCONFIRMED would probably be my issue there. No idea what that means for me, but it would seem 1.63 BTC is in limbo at the very least (im just missing 0.014)

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 12, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Kinda off-topic, but I’m reading Donna Brazile’s book about the Clinton campaign. When they discovered that the DNC had been hacked by the Russians, Brazile reached out to people she knew to create a cyber security superteam.

One of the dudes was from Coinbase.

I feel this explains a few things.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Themage posted:

I know I shoulda realized this due to you posting in this thread but man, you are a dumb fucker.

Consider for a moment that a major eth wallet(parity) was just hacked and everyone’s Monopoly money was deleted. Or the numerous buttcoin wallets/apps that have been hacked over the years.

Why do you think this isn’t going to happen to you?

Love you bro.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

1gnoirents posted:

womp womp womp

The transaction from Nicehash to Coinbase I received on 11/10 was "Pending" all day. I was busy until today and checked Coinbase and the transaction record has been removed from my account completely and my balance is at 0.00 BTC. All I have is the email I got from Coinbase.

Keep an eye on your stuff everyone

Edit: well since everything is public record it was pretty easy to find the transaction I was "part" of, or however this works

https://blockchain.info/en/tx/4259dc7ce821d2b06a401831060bc3cb806d73e788bd6347c717a9a535cbace5

Big red UNCONFIRMED would probably be my issue there. No idea what that means for me, but it would seem 1.63 BTC is in limbo at the very least (im just missing 0.014)

I'm having the same issue. Nicehash paid out on the 10th at 6am, still nothing. My first payout so didn't really know what to expect, hopefully it's out of the norm.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sipher posted:

I'm having the same issue. Nicehash paid out on the 10th at 6am, still nothing. My first payout so didn't really know what to expect, hopefully it's out of the norm.

I did some more digging, apparently this can happen though seemingly rare. If there is a problem verifying a group of transactions within 24 hours coinbase removes it. In a few days the overall er... transactions will fail or not fail through whatever process its going through, but either way it all gets returned to the address it came from. My wording is off but its less alarming than it seemed at first. Inconvenient but some byproduct of too many transactions to process. If you look at the status of bitcoin on their website its yellow indicating issues. Other websites say "ongoing network problems" or some varient of that.

The coins themselves shouldn't be able to be "lost" by design but it can take up to 7 days to be outright rejected and returned to the original addresses. Or rather the transaction simply wont go through at all is probably a better way to look at it so they never actually left the original address, its more of a hold that is released. Its never happened to me before personally. Access to any bitcoins after a transaction usually was about 4 hours in the past. The only iffy thing I'm thinking of here is im hoping Nicehash can handle this sort of error, though I cant see why not, its just weird to wrap my head around since I dont actually know what address they were actually sitting in to begin with (while in the hands of Nicehash)

Oh well. Luckily getting it returned would bring the nice hash balance above the payout limit immediately so Im guessing this upcoming Friday

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 12, 2017

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Good thing too as no chargebacks!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Axe-man posted:

Good thing too as no chargebacks!

Yeah cant imagine the stress if this happened if you bought a lot with real money

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah, basically bitcoin is clogged and the transactions are currently backed up something like four or five days even if blocks were being created every 10 minutes, which they're not because miners are bouncing between BTC and BCH.

why the hell does nicehash pay out in BTC anyway, Coinbase trade in ETH perfectly well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

divabot posted:

yeah, basically bitcoin is clogged and the transactions are currently backed up something like four or five days even if blocks were being created every 10 minutes, which they're not because miners are bouncing between BTC and BCH.

why the hell does nicehash pay out in BTC anyway, Coinbase trade in ETH perfectly well.

Network effect. At least that's the reason bitcoiners give whenever you ask why bitcoin will be the one to go tot he moon instead of the dozens of altcoins. :newlol:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sipher posted:

Well looks like we're in good, and much angrier, company

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/700-million-stuck-115000-unconfirmed-bitcoin-transactions/

the current unconfirmed count is something like 165,000 lol

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

anti-fragile (tm)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

My dad passed away a couple years ago and had some mining equipment. I'm in possession of said equipment now and am wondering if it's worth anything to sell. I know next to nothing about it. Can someone give me an idea on value for the following?

Bitmain Antminer S5
Gawminers The Fury
Raspberry Pi w/8gb sd. Assume this has software?
EVGA Supernova 1300G2 power supply

All of it is in good condition and worked fine as of 2 years ago. Thoughts on what I should list the lot for? Thanks.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Scrapez posted:

All of it is in good condition and worked fine as of 2 years ago. Thoughts on what I should list the lot for? Thanks.

1. It's worthless for bitcoin mining.
2. Some bozo may well buy it anyway. So I suggest telling yourself it's worth what someone will pay for it. Is any of this stuff selling in practice to others?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's worth like 2 dollars a day. Mining hardware gets obsoleted with every GPU generation. You probably could get a few hundred dollars for it though because people are paying 400 dollars for GPUs that do a few dollars a day.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Anyone know what the gently caress is up with NiceHash prices today? I used to get like 3.50 a day on average, just started mining tonight and it's estimating $13-15 a day in revenue.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Btc gold uses equihash :eyepop:

although if btc transactions stay backlogged this extra profitability is worthless

thats not candy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 13, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

thats not candy posted:

Btc gold uses equihash :eyepop:

although if btc transactions stay backlogged this extra profitability is worthless

Bitcoin Gold at launch didn't actually have software that compiled, let alone a functioning blockchain. (That didn't stop Bitfinex from offering trading on it, of course.) Did they fix either of those things?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

divabot posted:

Bitcoin Gold at launch didn't actually have software that compiled, let alone a functioning blockchain. (That didn't stop Bitfinex from offering trading on it, of course.) Did they fix either of those things?

From my quick googlin, that was just exchanges trading futures (and developers premining), and it only really went live last night. Its back to normal now sadly, but for a few hours after launch my 1070 was pulling over 10bux/day.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I just started mining with my 1070 on Saturday and have some questions that probably exemplify the reasons most people shouldn't participate in this.

1. Nicehash says I'm making $2.47 USD/day. I assume this isn't factoring in my power usage? The profitability calculator on their site says my 1070 will make $1.96 USD/day with my $0.185/kWh energy cost. Is there a way to see how much power my PC is using to see if I'm actually making any profit?

2. Should I be using my CPU? I have an i5-4670k. The benchmarks in Nicehash showed that it was turned off.

3. I'm running my GPU at my max stable overclock. Am I going to kill my card in like 3 months? It's running at about 72C by the way.

4. I should know this regardless if I'm mining or not, but if any/all of the 3 fans on my GPU were to die, is there a failsafe that will turn my PC off so that I don't burn my apartment down?

The plus side of this is that I don't need the heat on in my one bedroom apartment here in Minnesota. The day before mining it was 64 degrees on the thermostat and now it's 70!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like these they're not calibrated for any sort of scientific accuracy, but for calculating your energy cost they're perfect. If you have variable rate power you'll have to figure a bit more based on the times of day, but the power used stays relatively constant. Pascals will throttle very well if the fans fail, I wouldn't want to test it, but I think it can throttle enough to not die even if the heatsink fell off entirely. 72C is no problem at all for Pascal, they're happy to run 24/7 in the mid 80s. You probably shouldn't use your CPU to mine unless your power is the cheapest in the world, usually they cost more to run than the money they make.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

I just started mining with my 1070 on Saturday and have some questions that probably exemplify the reasons most people shouldn't participate in this.

1. Nicehash says I'm making $2.47 USD/day. I assume this isn't factoring in my power usage? The profitability calculator on their site says my 1070 will make $1.96 USD/day with my $0.185/kWh energy cost. Is there a way to see how much power my PC is using to see if I'm actually making any profit?

2. Should I be using my CPU? I have an i5-4670k. The benchmarks in Nicehash showed that it was turned off.

3. I'm running my GPU at my max stable overclock. Am I going to kill my card in like 3 months? It's running at about 72C by the way.

4. I should know this regardless if I'm mining or not, but if any/all of the 3 fans on my GPU were to die, is there a failsafe that will turn my PC off so that I don't burn my apartment down?

The plus side of this is that I don't need the heat on in my one bedroom apartment here in Minnesota. The day before mining it was 64 degrees on the thermostat and now it's 70!

1. Nicehash can't know how much your power costs so no, its not factored in. Use a power calculator, buy a kill a watt, or dont do any of that because in America with the specs you mentioned youre spending about $15-$30 a month if it was running full time

2.yes

3. No, and if it did its better to know now in my opinion. There is always risk in using anything for any reason though

4.yes, the card shuts off immediately

The real world concern is fan wear. Its a mechanical part with bearings (of some variant) with tolerances. Also its a good idea to see the profit difference between OC and stock. Its often not worth the fan speed and heat

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KingKapalone posted:

Many UPS's can show power usage. Otherwise you can go buy a cheap one at lowes/homedepot that plugs inline with your surge strip/ups.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
To the dude asking about mining a couple posts up: I have a 1070 and your exact processor; I run both since the computer is on anyways the CPU is going to be drawing power. May as well snag the 0.25 a day mining with it.

I have seven cent per kWh power though, so YMMV.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Thanks for the info.

I have a UPS but it's for my NAS so I might have to get one of these Kill A Watts. I looked at the bills since I moved into this apartment and it averages out to $0.175 kWh. I didn't realize it could vary so much. I just looked at saw that the average for Minnesota is 11.35 cents, so I'm way above average for some reason.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

tehinternet posted:

To the dude asking about mining a couple posts up: I have a 1070 and your exact processor; I run both since the computer is on anyways the CPU is going to be drawing power. May as well snag the 0.25 a day mining with it.

I have seven cent per kWh power though, so YMMV.

This idea is a bit flawed, since for a lot of CPUs there will be a big difference in the power required to run fast enough to manage the OS and Nicehash vs. being 100% pegged. Most desktop CPUs can downclock and run at mobile CPU wattages if they aren't under heavy load. To give an example, my E3-1225 v3 is rated for something like 84W TDP but the whole system was idling around 30 before I stuffed it full of hard drives.

It still might be worth it if your power is cheap enough but I'd measure it and do the math if you have a way to do so.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for the info.

I have a UPS but it's for my NAS so I might have to get one of these Kill A Watts. I looked at the bills since I moved into this apartment and it averages out to $0.175 kWh. I didn't realize it could vary so much. I just looked at saw that the average for Minnesota is 11.35 cents, so I'm way above average for some reason.

You're probably on a smart meter with peak demand charges during the daytime. Your utility company website should be able to tell you their charge model. There's usually an addition per KWHr charge once you go over some number per month to penalize heavy users. Might make sense to only run the systems at night in your case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Eletriarnation posted:

This idea is a bit flawed, since for a lot of CPUs there will be a big difference in the power required to run fast enough to manage the OS and Nicehash vs. being 100% pegged. Most desktop CPUs can downclock and run at mobile CPU wattages if they aren't under heavy load. To give an example, my E3-1225 v3 is rated for something like 84W TDP but the whole system was idling around 30 before I stuffed it full of hard drives.

It still might be worth it if your power is cheap enough but I'd measure it and do the math if you have a way to do so.

This is what i thought but turns out its hardly a difference. I save 15 whole watts by not mining on the CPU, making it very efficient to mine with in conjunction with GPU mining.

• Locked thread