Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
the table she knocks over is 18 inches tall, the scale is very misleadig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MrJacobs posted:

Probably, but holding up a multi-million dollar project she might already supposed to be committed to (I dunno if she did sign a 3 picture deal but its very common)would awaken so many lawyers she couldn't possibly shoot all of them.

Edit: NM I forgot all about Batman v Superman so she should be up for re-negotiations if there was a 3 picture deal in place.

Lol so dc universe is awful at the essential thing that made marvel universe super profitable, which is super great contract negotiations with actor agents that let the producers screw the actors of really great wages which were previously demanded for selling the gently caress out

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/NoChiIlSports/status/929899000517595136

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

After seeing the preview I was amazed that this video didn't feature some monumental pooch screw on the part of the Broncos.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2017/11/12/fu-ckoi-or-saying-gently caress-on-the-radio-in-canada/

- Radio station plays a clip of Madonna from the Women's March where she says “And to our detractors that insist that this march will never add up to anything … gently caress you.”
- Listener hears dreaded "f-word" on the radio, becomes offended, and complains.
- Radio station responds with "It's actually a pretty common word now and isn't really vulgar anymore."
- Listener elevates complaint.
- The ruling is "They're right. It's not very vulgar anymore."
- Changes rules so that saying 'gently caress' on the radio does not violate ethics codes.

:allears:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Tagra posted:

https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2017/11/12/fu-ckoi-or-saying-gently caress-on-the-radio-in-canada/

- Radio station plays a clip of Madonna from the Women's March where she says “And to our detractors that insist that this march will never add up to anything … gently caress you.”
- Listener hears dreaded "f-word" on the radio, becomes offended, and complains.
- Radio station responds with "It's actually a pretty common word now and isn't really vulgar anymore."
- Changes rules so that saying 'gently caress' on the radio does not violate ethics codes.

gently caress yeah!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm so glad that Canadians are finally allowed to swear, they've all been so patient about it.

e: never mind, looks like it's just for the Francophones.

YggiDee has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Nov 13, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Le gently caress.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What with Australia being allowed to say the c word, maybe one day us brits will be allowed to say poppysocks oh poo poo no wai:cop:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Isn't Spaz the taboo brit word?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara posted:

What with Australia being allowed to say the c word, maybe one day us brits will be allowed to say poppysocks oh poo poo no wai:cop:

Australia gets to say oval office, America gets to say spaz, Britain gets to say fag, but only insofar as it's referring to cigarettes. Those are the rules.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Australia gets to say oval office, America gets to say spaz, Britain gets to say fag, but only insofar as it's referring to cigarettes. Those are the rules.

I don't think I've heard the word spaz ever on American tv, other than maybe Jackass or Fox News, which is part Aussie.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

DiggityDoink posted:

I don't think I've heard the word spaz ever on American tv, other than maybe Jackass or Fox News, which is part Aussie.

It's not an Americanism—I've only ever heard it from Brits or Aussies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait spaz is considered a slur now? I thought it was just a shortening of the word spastic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RatHat posted:

Wait spaz is considered a slur now? I thought it was just a shortening of the word spastic.

It's generally used as another way to call someone mentally handicapped.

Ak Gara posted:

Wasn't that ruling just that it wasn't slander to call Tony Abbott a oval office?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RatHat posted:

These collection boxes used to be commonplace to collect money for the Spastics Society, which supported Cerebal Palsy. Kids being kids, it soon became a term of abuse.

See also 'retarded' to mean 'mentally disabled', now the US slur is 'retard'
and 'mongoloid' to mean 'Down Syndrome sufferer', now the UK slur is 'mong' (looking at you, Ricky Gervais)

Basically, people are dicks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

quote:

Blue Peter and cultural impact

In 1981, during the last year of his life, Joey Deacon was featured on the children's magazine programme Blue Peter for the International Year of the Disabled. He was presented as an example of a man who achieved a lot in spite of his disabilities. Despite the sensitive way in which Blue Peter covered his life, the impact on the public was not as intended. The sights and sounds of Deacon's distinctive speech and mannerisms were picked up on by children and he quickly became a figure of ridicule in school playgrounds across the country.[4][5]

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Interestingly radio in the UK doesn't have a watershed like tv. Stations self regulate as they see fit. On radio 4 dramas they regularly have swearing in the morning/afternoon because they have a majority adult audience.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Slugnoid posted:

yeah but hes probably gonna wind up with bernardi's conservatives so it's all much of a muchness in the end

Hm. Maybe it will create bad blood between One Nation and whatever Barnadi's fuckos are called, so that they don't vote together? (hopefully?)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

funmanguy posted:

the table she knocks over is 18 inches tall, the scale is very misleadig

Excuse me, I clearly used the symbol for feet, "

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Aerdan posted:

It's not an Americanism—I've only ever heard it from Brits or Aussies.

Excuse me but I grew up in Oklahoma and I was called a spaz constantly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spog posted:

Basically, people are dicks.

Everybody's a bit of a oval office sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJbBBSe4oI

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

It was alive and well in Texas too, usually to describe a hyper kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah that is how I know it too, as a term for someone who is running up the walls with excitement. I knew it was worse in the UK but did not know the palsy connection.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was pretty much the context I mostly heard it in too. Occasionally it would be used to mean something like nerdy, but a step beyond.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yeah, US it means a hyperactive child, regardless of etymology

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Trig Discipline posted:

Thats hardly an insult as it applies to everyone in Oklahoma.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Do a google search for 'imdb quote spaz' and you'll see that it got used in a ton of US films and TV shows.

quote:

"The Simpsons: To Surveil, with Love (#21.20)" (2010)
Nelson Muntz: Haw-haw! You're a spaz!
Lisa Simpson: That's not true. First of all, Milhouse only fell because you tripped him. Secondly, spaz is short for spastic diplegia, someone who suffers from a serious medical condition. And thirdly, your Haw-haw, by overuse, has lost its power.
Nelson Muntz: Wow. I bow before your logic.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Do a google search for 'imdb quote spaz' and you'll see that it got used in a ton of US films and TV shows.
I thought... well, I wanted to believe that this was a joke about how terrible the Simpson's writing has become in later seasons. But nope, it's real. The schad is on me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NorgLyle posted:

I thought... well, I wanted to believe that this was a joke about how terrible the Simpson's writing has become in later seasons. But nope, it's real. The schad is on me.

You spaz.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

EH Games, the company behind the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 game was trying to defend themselves on Reddit because in addition to buying their $60 game, you have to grind for about 40 hours in order to play as Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. Unless you don't have time, then you can just buy a bunch of loot boxes with real money. They see this as a mark of pride and achievement. People are naturally displeased which lead to the thread becoming Reddit's all time most downvote thread at around 269k downvote and growing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

10 Beers posted:

EH Games, the company behind the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 game was trying to defend themselves on Reddit because in addition to buying their $60 game, you have to grind for about 40 hours in order to play as Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. Unless you don't have time, then you can just buy a bunch of loot boxes with real money. They see this as a mark of pride and achievement. People are naturally displeased which lead to the thread becoming Reddit's all time most downvote thread at around 269k downvote and growing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98

285,000 now!

Or as one guy put it:

quote:

Brfoster 15.7k points 9 hours ago

If I had a credit for every downvote you've gotten I could finally unlock Darth Vader!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Weird Al got in trouble for using "spastic" on his last album.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

zakharov posted:

Weird Al got in trouble for using "spastic" on his last album.

Wasn't it a result of him not knowing that context of the word, and he immediately apologized?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

10 Beers posted:

This is all well and good, but people need to stop resorting to death threats whenever a random dev dares to open their mouth. https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/930064582709784577 https://twitter.com/BiggSean66/status/930058496216670211

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Grey Fox posted:

This is all well and good, but people need to stop resorting to death threats whenever a random dev dares to open their mouth.

I agree 100%.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

funmanguy posted:

Thats hardly an insult as it applies to everyone in Oklahoma.

Oklahomans are not spazzes, generally. They're obese cousin-loving gun-stroking jesus-freak dipshits :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tagra posted:

A little delayed, but I do remember a SCOTUS case that struck down "Safe Harbor" laws (meaning you can't air anything "indecent" between the hours of 6am and I think 10 or 11 pm local time). So you could swear on air and not face a fine. Obviously people will still complain and local stations can set policies forbidding swears.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wasn't it a result of him not knowing that context of the word, and he immediately apologized?

It's a good example of a great apology. He said that he had no idea that the word was a slur, was deeply sorry, and has removed the lyric from performances.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lone Goat posted:

Do you slow down by stomping the break and reducing your speed 40kmh? Because that's what was happening here.

No, but I might let engine regen go enough to put my brake lights on, I guess. It’s rare that I’ll actually touch the brake pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

iospace posted:

A little delayed, but I do remember a SCOTUS case that struck down "Safe Harbor" laws (meaning you can't air anything "indecent" between the hours of 6am and I think 10 or 11 pm local time). So you could swear on air and not face a fine. Obviously people will still complain and local stations can set policies forbidding swears.

Makes me think of how recently the word 'dick' became ok to say on tv so now it seems in practically every episode of every prime time show they say dick at least once.