Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My rescue dogs aren't too picky about treats. One will ignore them if she's doing something more interesting. The other one begs and does tricks for fruit and veggies also. Weird little dog loves bananas. One time she was begging me for cucumbers while my other dog was making the rounds, looking for BBQ.

It took a while for my first rescue dog to get chasing toys. She still doesn't bring them back but she's still having fun. I think the second one learned about toys at the shelter, or maybe she had a home before she was stray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Ethiser posted:

Anybody have any tips on finding "treats" that'll work on a rescue dog? I adopted a dog on Saturday who was found living inside of a couch in a trailer with 10 other dogs.

Give him two weeks to settle in before you decide that the treats don't work.
You'll usually be hard pressed to get treats working for a dog that won't eat kibble, so be patient with a feeding schedule and try again when his appetite picks up. The beagle half of the mix makes it very likely that he will ultimately be food motivated.

Dogs that are undersocialized can take some time to adjust - up to a month or two to come out of their shell and start to trust someone new. Keeping things low-key will hasten the acclimatization and make it more likely that he'll eventually play (and if he doesn't, it's not like he's missing out on an integral part of his life).

Ethiser posted:

I'll give it a shot. Cheese and peanut butter have been turned down and I've got to work to make him eat his kibble so that's not a reward.

Working to get a dog to eat will probably make it a lot harder to get food motivated. Dogs won't generally starve themselves into rapid serious health problems like cats will, so you can let a loss of appetite go for a few days before you may need to get a vet check.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 7, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I have kinda a weird question I guess!

My mom's tiny black malti-pom-poo loves me! She loves me so much that whenever I go to their house and lie down on the sofa, she'll run over and jump up for snuggles. She's like a teddy bear kinda. The problem is when I'm done giving her muchas pettas, she snuggles between my legs and licks the sh*t out of my feet - shell sit there and do it for hours if I let her. I don't really mind, it kinda tickles and she seems to love it, but recently she's been doing it really hard and even started to use her teeth and take little nibbles! Not hard enough to leave any sort of mark, but it's weird.

Is my mom's dog trying to eat me? Is it bad to let a dog lick you a lot? My instinct tells me to keep her away from open wounds, but aside from that it seems harmless and she's probably just licking the salt off my skin or something. What's with the nibbles tho?? I don't want to get eaten :(

Edito: here is a picture, of my mom dog:

gowb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 8, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Trying to decide on a breed.

Our needs are as follows:

I work at home and am an active person.
We have a cat that is fairly chill, need a low prey drive, probably don't want a herder.
We live in a 1,100 sq ft apartment with a 1,000 sq ft terrace, not a huge fan of high energy breeds.
I prefer a low-drool breed.
I like chill, friendly, companion breeds.
I don't like wiry, poodle hair.

Goldens are my favorite breeds with their dopey smiles and expressive eyebrows. My only concern with them is drooling and their terrible genetics.

Using the online breed selectors seems to leave me with a Goldador. Any other suggestions?

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 8, 2017

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
That's not a real breed. Both lab and golden are higher energy and potential for drool. If you're ruling out herders on activity level, retrievers need about as much.

Cat-tested adult greyhound? One of the less-drooling scent hounds? Maybe boxer or whippet, but prey drive towards cats could be an issue, and a boxer may be higher energy.

You've only mentioned bigger dogs, but if that's not a thing then a beagle, havanese, or pomeranian would be generally good with cats, good in that amount of space, and can accommodate more and less activity, depending on what you feel like doing.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Are you set on a puppy or would you consider an adult dog? If you go with a rescue organization you can meet specific dogs who have been fostered for a while and they should be able to match you.

I've also been seeing talk of adopting failed service animals but I have met anyone who's done that. It sounds really cool, since they usually have a fair amount of training before they're kicked out of the program.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Basset hound.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Seconding greyhound if you want low energy and 0 drool. Plus they look so goofy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I’m hesitant to go with an adult dog because pairing a puppy with the cat will be much easier.

Also, not really in to small dogs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
For what it's worth my adult greyhound had 0 trouble with the cat. But it obviously varies for each dog.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I wasn't favouring herders because their herding instinct can be annoying to cats I hear. But the standard Collie is a bit less so than a Border Collie.

Beagle, Cocker Spaniel, look like options.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cowofwar posted:

Trying to decide on a breed.

Our needs are as follows:

I work at home and am an active person.
We have a cat that is fairly chill, need a low prey drive, probably don't want a herder.
We live in a 1,100 sq ft apartment with a 1,000 sq ft terrace, not a huge fan of high energy breeds.
I prefer a low-drool breed.
I like chill, friendly, companion breeds.
I don't like wiry, poodle hair.

Goldens are my favorite breeds with their dopey smiles and expressive eyebrows. My only concern with them is drooling and their terrible genetics.

Using the online breed selectors seems to leave me with a Goldador. Any other suggestions?

Apart from the drool (which really varies from dog to dog), you're talking about a Great Dane....although a Greyhound would probably be ideal.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I really want a greyhound. There's a whole thread just for noodle dogs and it's wonderful.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't see how you can look at noodle hounds and rate them over sausage hounds.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I respect little wiener dogs but need a companion with long legs that can keep up with me. Wee little sausages aren't for me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i had a weener dog once. he was rad. his name was buster he acted 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

i like all dogs.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I know "goldador" isn't a real breed, but my older dog is one from an accidental farm litter. Someone's hunting lab escaped and snuck into a golden's kennel like five farms away. My in-laws have one of the pups, uncle in-law has one and we have one. My dog is the best dog I've ever known, hands down. Chill and a good listener and dumb as a rock. She is 10 now and still healthy and active. The brother is the same but bigger. The sister is one of the most neurotic dogs I have ever known, but that's probably because my in-laws never socialized her.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

There's nothing inheritally wrong with crossing two good lines of dogs. That's how breeds start. Working dogs care less about breed than traits. Designer breeds can be a problem because breeders don't care about the strength of the line. Service "doodles" can be a good example of line crossing to produce a better animal suited for a specific job. There's not inherit reason that "job" can't be make a better pet. It's all about the breeders.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I mean I get all of that, I just don't want anyone to think they aren't good dogs because of BYBs and the dumb name. If I had a chance to adopt one again, it would be really hard not to. (Only an adult though I am done with puppies after the one I have!)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

HungryMedusa posted:

I am done with puppies after the one I have!

hahahahahahah

:smithfrog:

i believe i have lost track of how many times i have said that.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

hahahahahahah

:smithfrog:

i believe i have lost track of how many times i have said that.

I'm serious this time!! The face of evil:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
truly an insidious beastie

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

She appears to be listening and obeying commands because there were no plants, poop or knitting nearby to destroy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tell me about it. I took a bath today and Apollo expressed his displeasure at how long it was by finding my Gengar plushie and bringing it to me.

It was a threat. Finish up in there or the pokemon gets it.

(He normally has no interest in my plushies or shoes or anything, but if he's mad oh ho he will let me know.)

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Can nobody help me with my moms extremely licky dog...?!?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

No. I don't know what to do with my own little lick monster.

Can I put a muzzle on her?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Hay guys - my poor old dog Buster suffered a mild stroke over the weekend. He's slowly on the mend but hasn't eaten anything for nearly 3 days.

He'll drink water out of our hands, so we're keeping him as hydrated as we can. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

e: he's a 13 year old mongrel FWIW and here he is recovering on his fave pillow & blankie:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 13, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
licky dog people, sounds like you have dogs. i mean if its really upsetting a 2 fingered light bop on the bridge of the nose and a "no" should do until they get the point.

no. dont muzzle the dog ffs.

Stroke dog owner.

yeah hydration is important, and at the recovery point the doggo is at you may just want to start cheating a bit on the diet, mix treats or peanut butter with the food, maybe get the fancy schmancy wet food at least for the recovery period. need calories and fuel to heal.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So our dog is crate trained, and she sleeps in there at night. It's useful training and should come in handy in the future, so we want to maintain that. She's never loved the crate, and now that we're in a house she gets to free roam (read: sleep on the couch) during the day, so she's less happy than usual about the crate at night.

She gets rewarded for going to bed, and has learned that barking does nothing, but I think it'd be nice to encourage her to like the crate more. My wife recently got a heating pad to ease post-surgery pain, and the dog just adores it. I wonder if we could find a way to warm the dog's crate so she likes going to bed more. I've found some gentle electric heating pads designed for dog beds, but I'm not 100% sure they're safe in night crate situations. Ex. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IEQMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MqycAb0V12956 Have any of you tried something like this, or are there any other ways I could help my dog relax in her crate?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

shirts and skins posted:

So our dog is crate trained, and she sleeps in there at night. It's useful training and should come in handy in the future, so we want to maintain that. She's never loved the crate, and now that we're in a house she gets to free roam (read: sleep on the couch) during the day, so she's less happy than usual about the crate at night.

She gets rewarded for going to bed, and has learned that barking does nothing, but I think it'd be nice to encourage her to like the crate more. My wife recently got a heating pad to ease post-surgery pain, and the dog just adores it. I wonder if we could find a way to warm the dog's crate so she likes going to bed more. I've found some gentle electric heating pads designed for dog beds, but I'm not 100% sure they're safe in night crate situations. Ex. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IEQMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MqycAb0V12956 Have any of you tried something like this, or are there any other ways I could help my dog relax in her crate?

Does the doggo already have a bed in the crate?

with mine 3 out of the 4 finally have figured out that nice pet beds do not equal chew toys. i would make sure your pal is cool with large pads and doesnt anxiety chew or anything before putting an electrical appliance attached to 110VAC in the crate.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

licky dog people, sounds like you have dogs. i mean if its really upsetting a 2 fingered light bop on the bridge of the nose and a "no" should do until they get the point.

no. dont muzzle the dog ffs.

My other dog doesn't lick, she nose boops everything. Well, either that or she punches people for attention.

I know not to muzzle her for licking, I'm just frustrated because fussing at her makes her sad and then she licks more to apologize so now I've got to get up and leave the room but I was comfortable in the spot drat it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GoodBee posted:

My other dog doesn't lick, she nose boops everything. Well, either that or she punches people for attention.

I know not to muzzle her for licking, I'm just frustrated because fussing at her makes her sad and then she licks more to apologize so now I've got to get up and leave the room but I was comfortable in the spot drat it.

Can you redirect her to roll over or something else?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GoodBee posted:

some dogs just do that, not sure what breeds you are dealing with. The only one in my house that is super licky is the tiny little weird dog, and that one you just pick up and lob to the other side of the room if she gets excessively annoying (dont really do that) the big coonhound like almost never does, so when he does plant a kiss on you its more like :3: awwwww.

the two pibbuls vary depending on mood and clingyness.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

sneakyfrog posted:

Does the doggo already have a bed in the crate?

with mine 3 out of the 4 finally have figured out that nice pet beds do not equal chew toys. i would make sure your pal is cool with large pads and doesnt anxiety chew or anything before putting an electrical appliance attached to 110VAC in the crate.

Yeah she doesn't chew anything in the crate anymore. Used to try to "move out" during the day, hahah, but doesn't anymore - and has never chewed while in the crate.

I'm more worried about fire risk/overheating, although they're supposed to be mild heaters (warming only to the dog's body temp). Maybe a smaller one that only heats one side of the crate, so she can move off it if it becomes too much?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Snugglesafe makes a heating disc that you pop in the microwave. No cords, chew proof, so it's good for crate use.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah she doesn't chew anything in the crate anymore. Used to try to "move out" during the day, hahah, but doesn't anymore - and has never chewed while in the crate.

I'm more worried about fire risk/overheating, although they're supposed to be mild heaters (warming only to the dog's body temp). Maybe a smaller one that only heats one side of the crate, so she can move off it if it becomes too much?

I live in FL, so heating is somewhat minimal, but on the 2-6 days a year where it drops below 40 i just get one of those oil filled space heaters and turn it on medium for the night it puts a nice +10-15 ambient degrees and is out of the crate mainly for my own peace of mind.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Snugglesafe makes a heating disc that you pop in the microwave. No cords, chew proof, so it's good for crate use.

Oh hey, that looks great! Cheaper too. I may give that a shot.

sneakyfrog posted:

I live in FL, so heating is somewhat minimal, but on the 2-6 days a year where it drops below 40 i just get one of those oil filled space heaters and turn it on medium for the night it puts a nice +10-15 ambient degrees and is out of the crate mainly for my own peace of mind.

Yeah, she may like that too. I could try that out if the heating pad fails. Think it'd be good for her to associate "crate bed" with "nice and warm", may be more direct to make the pad itself warm.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you redirect her to roll over or something else?

We're working on lay down and sometimes it works. Sometimes she's just too excited.

sneakyfrog posted:

some dogs just do that, not sure what breeds you are dealing with. The only one in my house that is super licky is the tiny little weird dog, and that one you just pick up and lob to the other side of the room if she gets excessively annoying (dont really do that) the big coonhound like almost never does, so when he does plant a kiss on you its more like :3: awwwww.

the two pibbuls vary depending on mood and clingyness.

The licky dog is probably some sort of terrier mix. She's about 25lbs and I've only had her since August. She's still got some chilling out to do. I got the impression that the shelter workers liked puppy kisses. The non-licking nose booper is all hound.

Sometimes when the little dog is trying to lick me and I tell her to lay down, the hound dog thinks I'm talking to her so she comes over, shoves the little dog out of the way and assumes the belly rub position.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GoodBee posted:

We're working on lay down and sometimes it works. Sometimes she's just too excited.

The licky dog is probably some sort of terrier mix. She's about 25lbs and I've only had her since August. She's still got some chilling out to do. I got the impression that the shelter workers liked puppy kisses. The non-licking nose booper is all hound.

Sometimes when the little dog is trying to lick me and I tell her to lay down, the hound dog thinks I'm talking to her so she comes over, shoves the little dog out of the way and assumes the belly rub position.

hounds are the best :3:

unless squirrel.

but yeah with your wee one just do deflections and whatnot and if she gets the hint she'll figure it out in time or as she grows up. orrrrrrr... she might just be one of those dogs that try to tongue kiss your mouth forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

hounds are the best :3:

unless squirrel.

I agree with that. The very first dog I ever loved was a friend's little speckled hound dog mutt.

My hound hasn't really figured out squirrels. She usually doesn't notice them on walks and the few times she does, she'll drag me over to where the squirrel was sitting and sniff the hell out of the ground.

quote:

but yeah with your wee one just do deflections and whatnot and if she gets the hint she'll figure it out in time or as she grows up. orrrrrrr... she might just be one of those dogs that try to tongue kiss your mouth forever.

Yeah, I feel like she's already a little better, sometimes. She's kind of a nervous creature but the two dogs play together so well. I can watch them do dumb puppy poo poo for hours.

I got them a new giant rope toy and the bigger dog grabs it, then shoves it in the little dogs face so they can play tug. Then when the big dog "wins", she'll stick it back in her face for round 2.