Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It makes sense to vet Chip, but if the stories about him being a butthole are true then I don't think it will happen. Also, you have the NCAA stuff.

My guess is that Stricklin will be extra sensitive about those sorts of thing in light of the reports about Mac not getting along with anybody and the recent suspensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Stricklin seems pretty sharp as ADs go. I'd imagine he knows enough to make a solid hire instead of a flashy one.

Then again this has been a weird rear end few years in terms of hires around the country so who knows

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm down to watch Chip Kelly light everyone up until we get the death penalty.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I'm down to watch Chip Kelly light everyone up until we get the death penalty.

If my dream dirty south conference, featuring teams from only Florida, Georgia and Alabama comes true, I'm assuming it'd be like the old SWC days.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't decide if I would LIKE Chip Kelly. I have a feeling it would be really fun to be in the spotlight for a while but ultimately end up a disaster.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel?

There was a shallow talent pool due to realignment and Butch was the big name after winning back-to-back titles in a BCS conference.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Somebody’s gonna “settle” for Mike Norvell; I just don’t know if it’ll be Nebraska or Tennessee, but I’m calling it

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I would totally be down losing games 63-56

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Norvell's buyout is just over $4m, not the highest by any means.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Professionally that’s the only tie he has but to be fair his wife was a cheerleader at UT which is where they met and his kid attends the school now so it goes a little deeper than that. He’s been pretty outspoken in the past about being a Tennessee “fan”.

That said even though I think they’re all crazy I haven’t really seen anyone at r/ockytop say they want him because of his ties to UT and it’s not like that’s a prerequisite for coaching. It helps but if it was we’d end up with Jim Bob or....I guess like Todd Helton or something.

Todd Helton to be HC with Chamique Holdsclaw as HC-in-waiting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Somebody’s gonna “settle” for Mike Norvell; I just don’t know if it’ll be Nebraska or Tennessee, but I’m calling it

He’d be a good hire!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Todd Helton to be HC with Chamique Holdsclaw as HC-in-waiting.

R.A. Dickey is looking for a job too. Can QBs throw a knuckleball?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Chip Kelly, to play devil's advocate, was a college coach for just four years, and he took over a program that was already doing well (even before his arrival as OC). His aspirations are all NFL, he dislikes recruiting, and his physique looks somewhat similar to that possessed by Butch Jones.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rick Neuheisel just said Mack Brown is the perfect choice for Tennessee's new HC.

Rick Neuheisel is an idiot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Rick Neuheisel just said Mack Brown is the perfect choice for Tennessee's new HC.

Rick Neuheisel is an idiot.

Hey it worked for basketball! (Did it work for basketball at all? I've been wallowing in my own team's misery for the last three years and only vaguely know everyone was better than us until the last few days)

I honestly doubt Mack would even be interested in anything other than the Texas AD thing he's supposedly gunning for.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Hey it worked for basketball! (Did it work for basketball at all? I've been wallowing in my own team's misery for the last three years and only vaguely know everyone was better than us until the last few days)

I honestly doubt Mack would even be interested in anything other than the Texas AD thing he's supposedly gunning for.

You talking about Barnes?

2015-16: 15 - 19
2016-17: 16 - 16

Eh. But there's not a ton of expectations for the mens bball team either. Granted they're higher than that especially with noted successful coach Rick Barnes coming in, but nobody really cares.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

LLCoolJD posted:

Chip Kelly, to play devil's advocate, was a college coach for just four years, and he took over a program that was already doing well (even before his arrival as OC).

Agreed, but I think a major counterpoint is how Oregon cratered without him.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Watching Brady Hoke lead the Tennessee head coach press conference today feels like I'm in some bizarro world.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Chip Kelly, to play devil's advocate, was a college coach for just four years, and he took over a program that was already doing well (even before his arrival as OC). His aspirations are all NFL, he dislikes recruiting, and his physique looks somewhat similar to that possessed by Butch Jones.

He was a head coach for four years, he was a college coach for a long time prior to that. And Oregon before he got there as the OC wasn’t even close to the level it was at with him or immediately after he left, outside of maybe one Joey Harrington season.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Watching Brady Hoke lead the Tennessee head coach press conference today feels like I'm in some bizarro world.

i like it

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

nate fisher posted:

Florida has had Randy Shannon press conferences. There are so many former head coaches lying in wait to become interim head coaches, it seems.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
Someone updated Kacey Rodgers wiki page.

https://i.imgur.com/vk293RP.png

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/930102695666569217

Also, I doubt everyone's credibility but:

https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/930132524369678336

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if Darren's right on at least that second front. ADs largely hate dealing with most traditional agents and I think you're going to see them start dying off more and more as coaches keep realizing just how expensive they are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FBScoop has a neat breakdown on a bunch of candidates' buyout clauses

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

DJExile posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Darren's right on at least that second front. ADs largely hate dealing with most traditional agents and I think you're going to see them start dying off more and more as coaches keep realizing just how expensive they are.

Anyone signing another person or entity hates dealing with agents because agents are educated and designed to prevent their client from getting hosed over which, make absolutely no mistake, every company or school will do to a perspective client or coach if given the opportunity.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sexton totally tossed Mac under the bus to try to set up another client to get that job, Florida should be nicer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Anyone signing another person or entity hates dealing with agents because agents are educated and designed to prevent their client from getting hosed over which, make absolutely no mistake, every company or school will do to a perspective client or coach if given the opportunity.

Agents gently caress their own clients over plenty though. Jimmy Sexton literally couldn't represent his own client fully in McElwain because he wanted so badly to get the deal on the next guy going in to Florida, which is a massive conflict of interest. They also almost always tie their compensation into the coach's deal and instead of being compensated one time for the contract work (like most standard contract lawyers), they create their own contracts with the coaches that lock them into paying the agents massive percentages for perpetuity, even if they haven't done anything since the contract.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jayson Swain, former Vol and current radio dude in Knoxville is confirming that Gruden has reached out to two former UT players who are now coaches to gauge their interest on joining him in Knoxville.

fuuuuuck

e: I'm assuming the coaches are probably Tee Martin, Jim Bob and/or Dale Jones

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 13, 2017

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Does sexton represent frost or melon?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Jayson Swain, former Vol and current radio dude in Knoxville is confirming that Gruden has reached out to two former UT players who are now coaches to gauge their interest on joining him in Knoxville.

fuuuuuck

e: I'm assuming the coaches are probably Tee Martin, Jim Bob and/or Dale Jones

that was the grumor saturday

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

that was the grumor saturday

Huh? He just posted it on Twitter an hour ago

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Huh? He just posted it on Twitter an hour ago

that rumor has been circulating for a few days, but i didnt hear the part about the other coaches being alums

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's happening. I believe baby!!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm actually worried about it because it's become something more than just nerds on a message board with "sources"

PFT also reporting Tennessee reaching out to Jets DC Kacy Rodgers and honestly I had to look up who he is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

DJExile posted:

Agents gently caress their own clients over plenty though. Jimmy Sexton literally couldn't represent his own client fully in McElwain because he wanted so badly to get the deal on the next guy going in to Florida, which is a massive conflict of interest. They also almost always tie their compensation into the coach's deal and instead of being compensated one time for the contract work (like most standard contract lawyers), they create their own contracts with the coaches that lock them into paying the agents massive percentages for perpetuity, even if they haven't done anything since the contract.

Not disagreeing but agents exist because employers try to use legalese to gently caress employees at every step of the process. It's akin to trying to hustle a 5 year old, of course the kid won't be able to keep up with what you're saying and will just shake their head at the first thing they hear.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have drunk the Jon Gruden kool aid and am rubbing my thighs in anticipation that he leads the Vols to decades of glory.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol just read that Mark Richt is supposed to have interest in it because he hates living in Miami. That's loving hilarious.

Although him coming to Tennessee and immediately winning a title would be the best thing ever just because of UGA teeth gnashing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

richt would never happen, but i think hed do a hell of a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

richt would never happen, but i think hed do a hell of a job

well yeah it's total bs but I'm bored at work and it made me lol