Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Anyone who says triple A games are just harder to make nowadays hasn't seen the effort that the texture artists put into the weapon skins in Modern Warfare Remastered, they literally just took a texture and pasted it across the entire weapon. I guess I should be lucky that it's not stretched out to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't worry I wasn't under the impression that Call of Duty games are strenuous labor of love.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Order 1488 is the best game because it shows a man's penis flopping around

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

The Order 1488 is the best game because it shows a man's penis flopping around

Lost and Dammed beat it to the punch by six years. :rolleyes:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
quake champions is really fun for being a really light hero arena shooter, can't wait to see all the customization that comes out for it. Just needs a classic mode, and qpong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

Battlefield 4's single player campaign was better than BF3's

Agreed. And although that isn't saying much because 3's campaign was terrible, 4's campaign isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

BF1 had a way better campaign than either though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Civilization 5 sucks Donkey Dick and so does Civilization 6, even after mods and upgrades, gently caress both of them. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword was the last great civ game. After that all that got improved was adding Hexes at the cost of:

- Even dumber loving AI
- No more tech trading in favor of random bullshit stuff
- Roads don't matter for trading anymore
- Civ 5's global happiness was BULLSHIT (I'm winning the war so people hate me since there's no way to get rid of war weariness like before)..
- In fact both 5 & 6 have lovely loving city management rules in different ways, like how capture cities NEVER stop hating you even after 2,000 years..
- The diplomacy in 5 was bad and in 6 it's badshit insane literally going to war with me for not going to war with it AS THE REASON, and how if you ever take a capitol they will NEVER EVER cooperate with you so it's either give it back or murder them entirely, because genocide makes all the captured cities super happy
- Dumb loving research trees with LUDICROUSLY out of control ways to surge tech
- gently caress YOU CITY STATE BALANCE
- Did I mention the AI being dumber yet? I've seen poo poo that makes the deathstack blobs that were built with cheats look like grandmaster tacticians..
- Why the gently caress can't you name units out of the gate yet? I miss getting upgrades
- Distance from Capitol and actually keeping pathways clear to trade is completely borked
- Goddamn religion has sucked since 4..

I could go on and on and on but gently caress, other than Hexes they've been TRASH and I don't know why the general public keeps accepting it or even acting like it deserves acclaim for adding Hexes when it is a huge loving step backward in EVERY way (even graphically arguably) and there's NEVER satisfying Hex combat because the AI is too dumb to use hexes and multi-player is trash (esp in 5 where there's not even turn animations). 4: BTS is a better game and is still far, far, FAR superior to 5 or 6. It's stylized graphics aged well and like I said I think it has way more personality.

ED: Oh yeah they took out the awesome Ethiopian faction so gently caress them, Ethiopia OP

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nier Automata is a bad game. At best it's sort of novel, but it's still pretty much a pile of poo poo. I usually try to go easier on it because goons are so touchy about it being the greatest thing ever, but given the thread title I'm just gonna say it sucks. The characters are comically bad, the combat is incredibly shallow, the story is dumb, it tries to tackle multiple genres and fails at every single one of them, it might have the most boring repetitive world of anything I've ever played, There are like 5 enemies in the whole game, it's nauseating how anime it is...

The only redeeming qualities it has is that it's weird enough to be entertaining once in a while and the art direction is ok.

On a similar note. Nioh is a D tier Souls ripoff.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 13, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah firaxis hasn't made a good 4x since civ 4 and tbh nothing game changing since SMAC

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
While Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing technical achievement on the PS2, the camera controls suck and make the game much more difficult than it needs to be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

Oblivion scales stupidly, but Skyrim just notices when you first enter a zone and scales the mobs in it to a range around that. So they'll level up with you to an extent, but if you first went there at level 3 they'll never get over level 10 (say). In practice it's fine, scaling isn't a problem.

It wouldn't be a problem if you just kept going through the same area again and again. But in reality you are going to explore new areas where all enemies are absurdly tedious bullet sponges.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

While Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing technical achievement on the PS2, the camera controls suck and make the game much more difficult than it needs to be.

Is this unpopular? SOTC is like top 10 games of all time but the camera controls objectively suck balls.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Honestly an easy way to break skyrim scaling is to run a lap around the map, which is what you should be doing for fast travel markers anyway. This makes sure there's no BS on the overworld map and you can be reasonably sure the only time youll hit late game sponge enemies is by entering late game dungeons

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Nier Automata is a bad game. At best it's sort of novel, but it's still pretty much a pile of poo poo. I usually try to go easier on it because goons are so touchy about it being the greatest thing ever, but given the thread title I'm just gonna say it sucks. The characters are comically bad, the combat is incredibly shallow, the story is dumb, it tries to tackle multiple genres and fails at every single one of them, it might have the most boring repetitive world of anything I've ever played, There are like 5 enemies in the whole game, it's nauseating how anime it is...

The only redeeming qualities it has is that it's weird enough to be entertaining once in a while and the art direction is ok.

On a similar note. Nioh is a D tier Souls ripoff.

yeah, i don't remember any of the reviews saying it was jrpg trash, but it was

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Away all Goats posted:

COTN is legit one of my favorite city builders of all time. The only thing that sucks is managing all the religious needs because every Egyptian god needs their own shrine or whatever and it gets tedious trying to place them all and with good access for your citizens. The food = currency mechanic is a little weird but it works really well. Yeah it's super easy but city builders aren't really known for their difficulty anyway.

I went back and tried it again and quit when I couldn't find a way to speed up time. Either I'm blind, which is possible, or they forgot something that imlortant. It was also stuttering like crazy on my recently built PC which also seems wrong.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

If videogames are art then how come the Games forum is under 'Discussion' and not 'The Finer Arts'?

QED

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The next Total War should be Medieval 3

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Nier is legit bad. It's very very bad

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

that guy somehow managed to make the framerate and controls worse in last guardian for the ps4

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Fartbox posted:

Nier is legit bad. It's very very bad

The music is good, everything else is really bad.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Modern controllers need more buttons

Games are being held back because there aren't enough buttons to do mundane poo poo like change ammo or change the radio in gta or whatever

We need to bring back the accessory buttons like the black and white ones on the xbox

We should cram in some recessed buttons in between the 4 main buttons in each corner and possibly the middle

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Seriously though, the phat OG Xbox controller still has the best form factor.
Primarily because it's the only controller big enough to comfortably fit in my giant gorilla hands.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magius1337est posted:

We should cram in some recessed buttons in between the 4 main buttons in each corner and possibly the middle

You can bind a ton of extra stuff on that touchpad if you use the DS4 on PC, it's really nifty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some PS4 games use it for a lot of stuff too. it's got a lot of potential that doesn't get used enough. Most PS4 games use it for gimmicks or don't use it at all, but some games like Dark Souls use it to hot key more items which is great.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Some PS4 games use it for a lot of stuff too. it's got a lot of potential that doesn't get used enough. Most PS4 games use it for gimmicks or don't use it at all, but some games like Dark Souls use it to hot key more items which is great.

King of Fighters XIV has it tied to positioning in practice mode. You can hit left, right, or middle on the touch pad and it will place you and the dummy accordingly. It's great for practicing combos/spacing.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite has it customizable to either be dummy controls or match restart but you can't choose position with it.

I especially enjoy it for the map in Resident Evil 7. I think so far it's been a handy gimmick.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Max Payne 3 was the best Max Payne and its finale is waaaaay better than that of the other two.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Has anyone honestly actually bought the Sims and not pirated it? I bought sims 1 way in the beginning and back then expansions were actually new cool poo poo, I saw that the sims 3 has tons of content but a lot of errors or needs a desktop to play it. Anyways things are supposed to be built from the ground up in the sims 4 even though in the process it lost a lot of the continuity that the sims 3 has. I looked at origin and the game doesn't bundle up any of the newer expansions with the base game, you have to buy the addons individually. Together it looks like it costs like $400 just to get current with the game, the sims 3 on steam costs roughly the same. Who honestly pays for the game?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

Dead space 2 was superior to 1 in every conceivable way.

Not the space sections, having a floaty belt instead of walking on walls is BULLSHIT

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

Max Payne 3 was the best Max Payne and its finale is waaaaay better than that of the other two.

:yeah:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Jack Trades posted:

You can bind a ton of extra stuff on that touchpad if you use the DS4 on PC, it's really nifty.

The touchpad is fine. The problem with the DS4 is the triggers.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Anyone who hates anime has no taste

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
We need a return to platforming games

Renal_lightfoot
Dec 31, 2016

Testicles
I enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda a ton. Not as good as the original 3, but a solid game in it's own right.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Also forgot side scrollers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jYUvfJ7KU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Duke Nukem Forever and what gamers really want is a remake of Duke 3d with matchmaking.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

here's a popular opinion: videos like this suck the most unwiped part of my rear end in a top hat

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

DrPossum posted:

here's a popular opinion: videos like this suck the most unwiped part of my rear end in a top hat

you should make a video about the top 10 top 10 videos that suck the most unwiped part of your rear end in a top hat

After you make a video about the top 10 unwiped parts of your rear end in a top hat so we understand the context

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Skyrim sucks because I don't have a chance of failing my sword swings or being able to do a random number of damage between a set range for each weapon.

I want to diablo-fy my open world rpg

Also I hate how mana and health in mmos are instant recharges now, they've basically just become the lovely part of halo fps knock offs where if I take a bit of damage I just duck behind cover for a few seconds and im good to go, more mmos need parts where you sit around healing and eating and poo poo so I can have a little bit of down time to chat with other people in the instance

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Magius1337est posted:

Skyrim sucks because I don't have a chance of failing my sword swings or being able to do a random number of damage between a set range for each weapon.

I want to diablo-fy my open world rpg

I want the opposite. Skyrim (and all TES games) needs combat changed in the following way:

1. Elder Scrolls melee combat: Soulsbourne style. 3rd person. Lock onto enemies, have two melee options per hand, and the combat should be about looking for openings while trying to minimize giving openings to your opponent via long attack animations. There are no chances to hit, your weapon either hits the enemy's hit box or it doesn't.

2. Elder Scrolls spell casting: MMO style. You have a hotbar full of spells (being that this is TES, you'll probably have created a few yourself). You lock onto an enemy, then press a hotkey and cast the spell. AoE spells pause or slow the game while you pick out where to cast it. Your target spells are homing devices that always visually reach your enemy, but a hit roll determines whether it contacts or fizzes out. Playing with a controller? Setup some combo of modifier and action buttons for however many spells you want.

3. If you want to go mega-caster, you can wield staves or wands in either/both hands, which would buff spells from their pre-configured schools. Hold a Fire Staff of Infernal Firing in your hand to buff all your fire spells by X%, or to add a DoT to all your fire spells, etc.

quote:

Also I hate how mana and health in mmos are instant recharges now, they've basically just become the lovely part of halo fps knock offs where if I take a bit of damage I just duck behind cover for a few seconds and im good to go, more mmos need parts where you sit around healing and eating and poo poo so I can have a little bit of down time to chat with other people in the instance

This is truly an unpopular opinion. I'd rather the chatting take place when I want it to rather than because the game has weird, tedious pacing in the form of having to eat or drink after every other mob.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VictorianQueerLit posted:

you should make a video about the top 10 top 10 videos that suck the most unwiped part of your rear end in a top hat

After you make a video about the top 10 unwiped parts of your rear end in a top hat so we understand the context

This is actually a pretty good idea. A youtube top ten list channel that only makes videos about other peoples top ten lists. I like it.