Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Unfortunately there are also a lot of gamers that are so tone deaf they don't realize they are what they are complaining about.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
drat, beat me to it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I don't like some games that Nintendo makes and I am aware that speedrunning exists as a concept. I hate to tell you but there are a lot of people like that.

Unfortunately there are also a lot of gamers that are so tone deaf they don't realize they are what they are complaining about.

show me your micropenis

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

One thing I don't like in level scaling is in Bloodborne, when there's enemies of a certain level and then the same enemies in another area will be higher level just because that's an area you go to later in the game. Have different enemies there bitch! It's worst in the lecture hall, where the downstairs students are low level because you go there early game, but then when you go upstairs in the late game there's the EXACT SAME STUDENTS but much higher level!

I'm gonna be honest my dude I don't recall this being an issue at all in bloodborne. guess I'll have to play through bloodborne, the perfect game, one more time

actually my issue with bloodborne is that, even though I actually like that the weapons are streamlined so that there's fewer of them and they're all largely unique, ultimately all of the weapons are kinda weak compared to ludwig's holy blade which you get like halfway through the game

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

romanowski posted:

I'm gonna be honest my dude I don't recall this being an issue at all in bloodborne. guess I'll have to play through bloodborne, the perfect game, one more time

actually my issue with bloodborne is that, even though I actually like that the weapons are streamlined so that there's fewer of them and they're all largely unique, ultimately all of the weapons are kinda weak compared to ludwig's holy blade which you get like halfway through the game

Crap, I never used ludwig's holy blade. Maybe if I had I could have been the second to last boss. I never could beat him with my saw cleaver thing. Oh well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not actually a thing in Bloodborne.

E: the enemy scaling

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It definitely 100% is, the townsfolk in the woods have more HP than the ones in town.

See also Nightmare boars.

Crows never scale though, I think

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it's pretty cool that easy games exist.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm playing Children Of The Nile right now, and I hate to say this, but I think it's better than Pharaoh.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ll bite because this sounds retarded enough to be a serious opinion - why?

no one is forced to challenge themself to play a real game mode, they only want to grind achievements

basically the only game mode there is to play is TDM because everyone plays TDM

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the only good CODs were Modern Warfare 2 and Black ops 1, everything else has been poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead space 2 was superior to 1 in every conceivable way.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

FoolyCharged posted:

You monster

My favorite bit was all the people on the blizzard forums whining about how poo poo like "workers rallied to resources automatically gather that spot" was a terrible thing to put in the game because it took away player skill.

watch as my giant zerg army files into a single line to be immediately killed by a grouped up bunch of marines

no this isn't poo poo pathfinding this is a meta game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not actually a thing in Bloodborne.

E: the enemy scaling

It's not really scaling because it's not dependent on your actual level, but when you go to later game areas there's enemies that are the exact enemies from earlier but with upgraded stats. It bugs me because Bloodborne strikes me a lot as the kind of game where you see an enemy from a distance and go "ahh, that's an X so I should approach it in Y fashion" but having the same enemy but stronger kind of throws that off. It's more of a nitpick than a major issue with the game, but that's true of a lot of criticisms of Bloodborne

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
You guys know what needs to make a comeback in video games? Palette swapped enemies.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

You guys know what needs to make a comeback in video games? Palette swapped enemies.

finally

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

One of the worst things about Pharaoh was that your city lived and died on road placement. In COTN this is solved by... roads basically being cosmetic. At first I hated this, but then i started designing my cities around efficient placement instead of worrying about making grid-like monstrosities across uneven terrain, and yeah man this is nice.

The game is a lot more complex, too. It's cool.

I avoided Children Of The Nile for like 20 straight years, and i got it the other day and it's the poo poo.

I wish they still made city builders like this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

What do you mean "a comeback"? They never went away.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't know if this is unpopular exactly, but boy are 'open worlds' tired as hell right now.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

basic hitler posted:

I'm playing Children Of The Nile right now, and I hate to say this, but I think it's better than Pharaoh.

I tried to get into Children of the Nile but couldn't get into it. I felt the bread as currency was kind of weird and it seemed to be super easy. I really wanted that game to grab me like Pharaoh did.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I bought CS:GO and am only playing deathmatch. It's fun.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I am going to hang anyone who makes multiplayer maps paid dlc.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Eela6 posted:

I don't know if this is unpopular exactly, but boy are 'open worlds' tired as hell right now.

Open worlds, resource gathering, skill trees, crafting

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Gamers are the worst.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The new Star Wars Battlefront is super fun. Just don't buy crates you assholes.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oscar Wild posted:

Gamers are the worst.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Most of the rear end Creed games have missions where you have to chase someone or follow someone and stay within hearing distance of them. But your character in the rear end creed games is always super slow and it's super easy to get stuck on geometry constantly or to jump where you don't want to jump, and so those missions are always just unbearable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember when phantasy star online went from arpg to a loving card game system

Who the hell made that stupid rear end decision, I don't need loving cards, let me press a button and just attack, cut out the bullshit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Dennis System posted:

Most of the rear end Creed games have missions where you have to chase someone or follow someone and stay within hearing distance of them. But your character in the rear end creed games is always super slow and it's super easy to get stuck on geometry constantly or to jump where you don't want to jump, and so those missions are always just unbearable.

they got rid of them entirely in the new game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

they got rid of them entirely in the new game

Gotta remove something to make room for all those lootboxes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Gotta remove something to make room for all those lootboxes.

origins has no lootboxes other than the actual in game treasure chests

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
which is remarkable considering that they've got a cash shop and randomized loot drops with rarity and levels

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

origins has no lootboxes other than the actual in game treasure chests

exploded mummy posted:

which is remarkable considering that they've got a cash shop and randomized loot drops with rarity and levels

Wow, I kind of assumed that it did as a given.
Egg on my face, I guess.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I'll pay for skins or loot boxes for skins if there's actually enough cool ones where I get at least something decent if I open a box

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Dennis System posted:

The problem with Oblivion and Skyrim is that the enemies scale to your level, so what's the point of leveling up or getting a more powerful weapon?

Oblivion scales stupidly, but Skyrim just notices when you first enter a zone and scales the mobs in it to a range around that. So they'll level up with you to an extent, but if you first went there at level 3 they'll never get over level 10 (say). In practice it's fine, scaling isn't a problem.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, I kind of assumed that it did as a given.
Egg on my face, I guess.

yeah. the cash shop sells 4 types of things -

1. QOL packs of resources and skillpoints if you are that loving lazy
2. Cosmetic skins (dress up like a mummy, make your ride a unicorn) - The mount might have a gameplay impact but if it does, its minor.
3. Specific legendary weapons and shields. You know exactly what you're getting, and none of the weaponry is really better or worse than other legendary equipment.
4. Maps that mark off specific points of interests (where tombs and etc are).

in terms of stuff like 1 is whatever I do not give a poo poo if you are that lazy
2 and 3 aren't bad, and to be honest, it's for boosting like 1 achievement and some cosmetic stuff. I haven't verified it, but there is a vendor that does sell random equipment for in game currency and there are reports that the items from the shop show up in that item pool so it isn't even cash shop exclsuvie poo poo either. I just dont ever buy form that dude so I dunno.
4. Well this might be valuable if you were lazy and this weren't the internet and everyone knows exactly where this poo poo is. Plus the game will actually mark the spots on the map while exploring as "?" until you get close enough. Also there's a in game community photo feature and all of these locations are easilly found by where people have taken tons of photos and they show up on the map

in honesty the loot system in ACO is about right for this type of poo poo anyway

you do get random poo poo (the game literally shits out weapons like crazy to be quite honest) that varies between vendor trash and legendary stuff

blacksmiths in the game also have the ability to upgrade weapon levels to what your current level is and the price factor is roughly based off of 3 things: rarity, your level, and level difference

now I dont know the exact formula because its not really clear, but the primary factors on what drives the cost is rarity and your level

so what you gotta do is just hoard all your legendaries until you've hit the max level (40) and upgrade everything. legendaries pretty much trump any other stuff (they get 2 enchantment like rares and a unique bonus 3rd ability), and once you got them, you got them. maybe upgrade some of your bread and butter weapons around level 25 or 30, since legendaries can punch about 5 or 6 levels above their given level without much issue

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Battlefield 4's single player campaign was better than BF3's

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

basic hitler posted:

One of the worst things about Pharaoh was that your city lived and died on road placement. In COTN this is solved by... roads basically being cosmetic. At first I hated this, but then i started designing my cities around efficient placement instead of worrying about making grid-like monstrosities across uneven terrain, and yeah man this is nice.

The game is a lot more complex, too. It's cool.

I avoided Children Of The Nile for like 20 straight years, and i got it the other day and it's the poo poo.

I wish they still made city builders like this.

limp_cheese posted:

I tried to get into Children of the Nile but couldn't get into it. I felt the bread as currency was kind of weird and it seemed to be super easy. I really wanted that game to grab me like Pharaoh did.

COTN is legit one of my favorite city builders of all time. The only thing that sucks is managing all the religious needs because every Egyptian god needs their own shrine or whatever and it gets tedious trying to place them all and with good access for your citizens. The food = currency mechanic is a little weird but it works really well. Yeah it's super easy but city builders aren't really known for their difficulty anyway.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
plus theres one set of legendary sickle swords in the game that keeps poisoning people when you attack and its sweet

aco poison is different than previous games, poisoned guards emit a miasma of poison around them, which in turn can inflict poison on more guards. plus it can also stagger and interrupt enemies.

plus if anyone is killed while being poisoned their corpse for a good while also emits a gigantic miasmatic poisonous plume around their cadaver

so basically you can start carving up crowds of enemies and this entire giant poisonous cloud keeps growing bigger and bigger the more dudes that rush in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

plus theres one set of legendary sickle swords in the game that keeps poisoning people when you attack and its sweet

aco poison is different than previous games, poisoned guards emit a miasma of poison around them, which in turn can inflict poison on more guards. plus it can also stagger and interrupt enemies.

plus if anyone is killed while being poisoned their corpse for a good while also emits a gigantic miasmatic poisonous plume around their cadaver

so basically you can start carving up crowds of enemies and this entire giant poisonous cloud keeps growing bigger and bigger the more dudes that rush in

You can't throw berserk darts anymore though. You have to be right next to the person you want to berserk.