Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Can confirm roommates are bomb.

My rent is also about $200 (including utilities), but factoring in principal payment I'm in the money about $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Officially over 2000 in savings! I've actually hit it before, but had some minor emergencies that ran it down again. Should even hit ~2300 by the end of the month. Now have to get a secured credit card and work on the credit score more while shooting for 3400, aka a month ahead.

I should be getting a raise due to more responsibility here in the next couple of months. My boss is leaving and I'm taking a chunk of his workload permenently. I have to get everything in writing though as my company likes to drag its feet with that stuff.

Also going to move to a cheaper place when my lease is up next May, which will help a bunch.

Edit: cash liquid savings, i have a 401k where I am maxing out the company match.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

KitConstantine posted:

Officially over 2000 in savings! I've actually hit it before, but had some minor emergencies that ran it down again. Should even hit ~2300 by the end of the month. Now have to get a secured credit card and work on the credit score more while shooting for 3400, aka a month ahead.

I should be getting a raise due to more responsibility here in the next couple of months. My boss is leaving and I'm taking a chunk of his workload permenently. I have to get everything in writing though as my company likes to drag its feet with that stuff.

Also going to move to a cheaper place when my lease is up next May, which will help a bunch.

Edit: cash liquid savings, i have a 401k where I am maxing out the company match.

All good things, congrats!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Awesome, congrats!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
It's so drat relieving having a cushion. Congrats!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I made the last of my student loan overpayments today; auto-pay will take care of the last $5 + whatever interest accrues in the next 15 days. Here's to being debt-free.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CaptainRat posted:

I made the last of my student loan overpayments today; auto-pay will take care of the last $5 + whatever interest accrues in the next 15 days. Here's to being debt-free.

:toot: Congratulations. Keep those copies of the release of liability/confirmation of payoff in a fireproof safe. Make a copy into your email. Verify you get one for every. single. loan.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 13, 2017

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CaptainRat posted:

Good. loving. Job.

You beat me by about half a year. I'm hoping to knock mine out by May or June. Already took my payments down from $650/mo to $150/mo and it feels amazing.

Buy some bubbly and buy yourself something fun. That's what I plan on doing, anyway.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

4 years of budgeting:

Thanks, BFC and YNAB!

I've been able to:

Pay off my car loan 2 years early
Pay for grad school in cash
Pay for extra grad-level courses for a new certification in cash, which will give me a new career option
Begin saving for a house
Move 3 times (ugh) without breaking the bank
Start a Roth IRA (while funding my other retirement account with 10% gross)
...and I might even hit 100k net worth by the end of the year!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Based on the gradient of your networth it looks like you've had a good four years. Congratulations on all of the things you've achieved in that time.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We got married this month! And now that the month's numbers are in, we were able to pay for it without our (non-retirement) net worth going negative, even discounting all the money we got from guests/family as wedding gifts. Yay saving :toot:

Also spinst that's a solid YNAB graph right there.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Breaking my posting hiatus to share this news. My goal since I started working after college was to have 6-figures in retirement accounts by the time was 30. Checking this morning and I’ve tipped over that 100k mark 6 months prior to my 30th birthday. Feels good to finally see that number.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Congrats, that's a big milestone and achievement!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Congrats on the huge news! Now see how long it takes to 10x, and then 100x :getin:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congrats on the huge news! Now see how long it takes to 10x, and then 100x :getin:

Compound Interest, hold me in your arms.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Higgy posted:

Breaking my posting hiatus to share this news. My goal since I started working after college was to have 6-figures in retirement accounts by the time was 30. Checking this morning and I’ve tipped over that 100k mark 6 months prior to my 30th birthday. Feels good to finally see that number.

Here comes the 30% market downturn in 5 months :)

Seriously though good job.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Projected pension contribution for 2017: 33.38% of gross pay. Won't continue next year though, but it still feelsgoodman. That's basically as much contributed as in the first 7+ years of my career.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looks like with a stock price movement that's holding my retirement funds have gone from 5 digits to 6 digits. Last time I had this much was on the run up to buying a house.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

:toot: been looking forward to this for a few weeks but had a bunch of unplanned expenses. But goodbye, university debt!*

*Australian tertiary loan, super friendly compared to the US system, only increases to keep pace with inflation and that doesn't happen again until next July. So I haven't touched it yet. I figure I'll put the money somewhere useful/safe for six months and see how much I can pay off when I get closer.

YNAB chart below - got hired in Jan, made permanent in July. A year ago I was long-term unemployed and didn't think that red bar would ever disappear.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Congratulations!!!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Over the past two months my wife and I have put away over $1,000 in savings. Our savings account is now sitting over $1,200. That’s the most we have ever put in without the help of a gift or tax return. My wife has kind of gotten obsessed with putting money in there, which is for the most part a good obsession.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

spinst posted:

4 years of budgeting:

Love these! Here's almost 15 years of Quicken data:

Lessons learned:
1.) Look for a new job while still at your current job (I got very lucky I found one before the economy poo poo the bed and was able to survive the layoffs)
2.) Don't sell everything when poo poo goes downhill
3.) Spending increases with income (I think i see a slight increase in the slope after my promotion, but maybe that's wishful thinking)
4.) Money makes more money, start saving early

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 24, 2017

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Not the biggest achievement, but I just paid off one of my student loans, it only had ~$300 left on it, and I was going to pay it off next month on the first when I had the money budgeted for it, but I was getting antsy and just decided to pay it today. Two down, three to go, and under a $6000 balance total.

Since this post in late August, I've paid off two more of my student loans. Only one left at $2491!

Here is a graph of my student loan debt since I started using YNAB again in September 2016.

I'm getting way too excited about paying off these loans. Like, giddy.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 28, 2017

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Keep killing it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Wow you did some real work this month - end of year bonus or something?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
November was a three paycheck month, so I had a bit of extra money this month. I've also had a bit of a cushion built up from being frugal and sticking to my budget. I'm hoping in a few months I'll be able to post in here again to say I'm student loan debt free.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 28, 2017

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

BAE OF PIGS posted:

November was a three paycheck month, so I had a bit of extra money this month. I've also had a bit of a cushion built up from being frugal and sticking to my budget. I'm hoping in a few months I'll be able to post in here again to say I'm student loan debt free.

Get at it! You're almost there.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm no longer Discover's bitch, got an out-of-band raise a couple months ago in addition to the year-end one, and got a contract to write several puzzle books for extra dollars.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Holy poo poo it's been a while. This was July 2015.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

:siren: :woop: I have a positive net worth for the first time in my adult life!! :woop: :siren:

My net worth is just shy of 60k now.

I maxed my Roth IRA for the full year for the third time in a row, hurray (Ok, I did 2016 in early 2017 but it still counts)

My net worth has gone up every month since July 2013 when I started budgeting. Still got 15k in federal student loans and my mortgage (which I'm overpaying on), but I'm doin great

Also got a little raise of like 100 bucks a month take home beginning this year due to a "market rate adjustment" everyone at my company got. Wasn't even my annual raise, which is nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that is rad, man

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This is staggering to me but apparently by paying my car insurance in 6 month installments (instead of monthly billing) I am saving myself $260 a year.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Also, from a little less than a year ago, when we were carrying credit card debt to the tune of $20,000, my credit score has now climbed to 800.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is staggering to me but apparently by paying my car insurance in 6 month installments (instead of monthly billing) I am saving myself $260 a year.

Wow, which carrier does that? I guess it could also be a state regulation allowing/disallowing it. State farm in CA charges between $12-36/year regardless of the number of lines to pay monthly. (Autopay, paperless bills , and the payment plan itself each reduce it by $1/month.) I just pay the $12/year.

This is auto insurance only. All of the others I have with them charge a huge % premium to pay in installments.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Progressive in Iowa.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Progressive in Iowa.

What % of your annual insurance bill is that?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What % of your annual insurance bill is that?

Like literally 20%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Like literally 20%.

lol i figured your insurance had to be in the stratosphere after your little... encounter... with the law

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol i figured your insurance had to be in the stratosphere after your little... encounter... with the law

Story time EAT FASTER!!!!!!.

Sometimes those take a policy cycle to kick in?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So fortuitously, the ticket I got was written as just "simple speeding, speed unspec." and it was the only ticket I'd gotten in 5 or so years so my insurance rates actually went DOWN to the tune of about $600 a year despite having to get an SR22 added.

107 in a 70

I also hadn't bid my insurance in several years.

I couldn't believe it, I was pretty irate with my insurance guy, but what can you do?

I should specify that's the price for 2 luxury cars, our homeowners and a pretty aggressive umbrella policy, so I don't think it's SO stratospheric.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So fortuitously, the ticket I got was written as just "simple speeding, speed unspec." and it was the only ticket I'd gotten in 5 or so years so my insurance rates actually went DOWN to the tune of about $600 a year despite having to get an SR22 added.

107 in a 70

Allegedly.

quote:

I also hadn't bid my insurance in several years.

I couldn't believe it, I was pretty irate with my insurance guy, but what can you do?

I should specify that's the price for 2 luxury cars, our homeowners and a pretty aggressive umbrella policy, so I don't think it's SO stratospheric.

Ah, yeah. I don't know what the premium would be to pay monthly on the other lines (Home owners, earthquake, personal articles, umbrella.) That sounds about right, I seem to recall my life insurance was something like 15% more to pay monthly, it was absurd. 3 car lines is $12/year extra cost.