Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Apparently this comment by a Battlefront II dev trying to calm down fans is the single most down-voted post in Reddit history like, ever.

At the time of writing it's got over 12x the downvotes as the previous worst (-309k vs -25k)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do these idiots actually think that the developers of the game actually get a choice between including lootboxes or not?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I wish nerds could laugh at stuff without also threatening to rape or murder a person, that would be great

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Why is it called raw garbage anyway

Is there like...not raw garbage??

Raw garbage is the closest English approximation to food waste so the lady probably smells like someone who worked a shift in a greasy kitchen.

I will remember the smell of grease traps until the day I die.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Do these idiots actually think that the developers of the game actually get a choice between including lootboxes or not?

I don't think they care, honestly. It's a probably a mix of shut-in nerds whose whole identity is wrapped up in games, outwardly-normal guys who turn into aggression-venting monsters online, and teenagers who just think it's funny to harass people. They just want someone to gently caress with and it doesn't matter if it's the "right" target or not. (As if there is a right target.)

Like, by all means downvote the canned PR bullshit response, vocally boycott the game, all of that, whatever you want to do, but hunting down random EA devs on Twitter is just dumb as gently caress. Not in any way surprising because this is far from the first time something like this has happened, but still dumb as gently caress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did MvC:I use this model?

nope

Phantasium posted:

MvC:I used really bad models regardless

lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

can someone break down the context of that reddit post? is it that getting to play as darth vader is a random lootbox drop or something?

It apparently takes like 40 hours of playing online to get enough credits for Luke/Darth Vader (and I think I read they were unlocked by default in the first game)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 13, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Really Pants posted:

[img-that one picture of an entire "Boycott Modern Warfare" Steam group logged into the game]

gamers will never exercise any principles more demanding than "entertain me"

This one always bothered me because COD sales did indeed go down the shitter post-MW2 despite Treyarch trying to salvage it with the first Black Ops.

Edit: PC sales ofc.

GUI fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 13, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

Or, alternately, if they get reports of someone doing it (especially a streamer with tons of viewers), can't they put someone on detail to watch that person's next stream and issue them a warning or cut off their support?

From everything I can find, the real issue is that Twitch doesn't give a single gently caress about it, which is a subset of how people these days expect music to just "be free" without considering that people make their living producing music. (That's the real thrust of the article.)

what a terrible take. twitch already mutes videos like youtube does and its incredibly dumb. its just the streamer playing the music for themselves, the viewers only hear it on the background. only an insane person would listen to music like that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

Replace "look" with "buy." Hasn't failed me yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Really Pants posted:

[img-that one picture of an entire "Boycott Modern Warfare" Steam group logged into the game]

gamers will never exercise any principles more demanding than "entertain me"

That was a public group and a lot of Wacky 4chan People joined it after buying mw2 as a joke

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I don't get why I'm always surprised when gamers at large turn out to be sheep who jump onto any bandwagon that gets a cheap laugh out of them when it happens constantly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

That was a public group and a lot of Wacky 4chan People joined it after buying mw2 as a joke

Is that really the case? That's even more disappointing than finding out Leeroy Jenkins was fake

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

It sucks that they somehow didn't copy that one TW3 aspect where you can press a button to travel at the same speed as your companion. Ubi added so many qol features of their own but omitted that one, why.

lol really? I'm pretty sure I've done that in an AC game before

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Nina posted:

I don't get why I'm always surprised when gamers at large turn out to be sheep who jump onto any bandwagon that gets a cheap laugh out of them when it happens constantly.

How exactly does one Beep-Beep like a sheep?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do I have to press a button or control my character at all when I'm just following some idiot monologuing to me?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The real solution to this problem is to not force the player to follow a character. Ban tram rides too.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

mfcrocker posted:

At the time of writing it's got over 12x the downvotes as the previous worst (-309k vs -25k)

the previous most downvoted comment was a joke asking for downvotes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well good job, internet (this is the fallout from the Battlefront thing)
https://twitter.com/BiggSean66/status/930058496216670211

:qq:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

:stare: his concerns seem valid here though???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How many real-world deaths do you think can actually be attributed to video games (besides of course the millions of children who will never be born thanks to MMOs).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harassing a random dev who probably had nothing to do with monetization models is dumb as gently caress. (It'd still be if he was, but hunting down the first name vaguely associated with a game you don't like and hassling them is a particularly lovely gamer habit.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

How many real-world deaths do you think can actually be attributed to video games (besides of course the millions of children who will never be born thanks to MMOs).

We know there are at least a few people who've died of dehydration or even cardiac arrest from obsessively playing MMOs or other online games for like days on end without stopping.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozXMsFZMydw

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gamer spotted.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

For legal reasons i am screenshotting these posts

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gamers are finally rising up, fighting for gamers’ rights

For the Horde!

Fus-ro-dah!

Wahoo!

Can’t let you do that, Star Fox!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Jay Rust posted:

Gamers are finally rising up, fighting for gamers’ rights

For the Horde!

Fus-ro-dah!

Wahoo!

Can’t let you do that, Star Fox!

Devs, Dont Open That Door!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hmm, what to get incensed about today...

Trumps gonna get us all nuked. Pass.
Everyone in Hollywood is a literal rapist. Yawn.
Another shooting? So passe.

Oh here's one, you have to play this game in order to unlock stuff! Take up arms brothers and sisters!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Andrast posted:

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/930093649127337984

Publishers ask for microtransactions and developers implement the system. Most publishers have a broad strategy of their games having post-launch content for player retention and revenue. Developers have to design the system and how extreme the monetization is. It's why one publisher's catalog, like Take2, can have vastly different monetization systems, such as lootboxes vs DLC packs vs paid timers, depending on what the developer feels is best for the game.

It's not unusual for developers to implement aggressive monetization systems since they can hit performance bonuses much easier as than trying to move enough copies at $60. There's a very strong incentive for them to have a well-monetized live service since it provides much security to the developer. They're less likely to be downsized or shutdown if the game is bringing in money month after month. For example, much of Destiny's microtransactions was spearheaded by Bungie rather than Acti-Blizzard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That basically means the problem still flows from publishers, just in the form of systemic pressure rather than any individual saying "hey do this or else."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Saint Freak posted:

Hmm, what to get incensed about today...

Trumps gonna get us all nuked. Pass.
Everyone in Hollywood is a literal rapist. Yawn.
Another shooting? So passe.

Oh here's one, you have to play this game in order to unlock stuff! Take up arms brothers and sisters!

The idea that everyone should only get upset about The Biggest Issues which almost universally are out of their reach anyway is pretty absurd too though, that's not how anything has ever worked.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That basically means the problem still flows from publishers, just in the form of systemic pressure rather than any individual saying "hey do this or else."

I'm pretty sympathetic to devs who are so scared of being shut down that they feel they need to put in kooky microtransactions.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kanfy posted:

The idea that everyone should only get upset about The Biggest Issues which almost universally are out of their reach anyway is pretty absurd too though, that's not how anything has ever worked.

The most downvoted post on a website where people openly talk about incel rape plans and about how they can't wait for the great ethnic cleanse is about a video game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

The most downvoted post on a website where people openly talk about incel rape plans and about how they can't wait for the great ethnic cleanse is about a video game.

Reddit is trash, more at 11

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad the microtransaction titanic is finally running into the iceberg because it means maybe these greedy gently caress publishers will back off a little bit and I can stop reading videogame indie news site thinkpieces about it. It is a shame people who don't understand where the issue stems from are harassing developers about it because they really should be targeting their anger at people who actually deserve it.

Saint Freak posted:

1. Vastly more people browse the website for the video game than those things by hundreds of thousands

2. You're basing this comparison on a post on the board whose only purpose is to talk about only that specific video game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh they don't need to target their anger anywhere just don't buy bad games and watch the anger disappear.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Not enough people read those to get that many downvotes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phantasium posted:

tbh they don't need to target their anger anywhere just don't buy bad games and watch the anger disappear.

publishers don't cancel bad games due to lack of sales, they cancel good ones that people like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CJacobs posted:

I'm glad the microtransaction titanic is finally running into the iceberg because it means maybe these greedy gently caress publishers will back off a little bit and I can stop reading videogame indie news site thinkpieces about it. It is a shame people who don't understand where the issue stems from are harassing developers about it because they really should be targeting their anger at people who actually deserve it.

It's not running into anything. People will forget about this and continue buying EA games and every year micro transactions will get worse and more invasive because you can't go to your board and say "here's our plan to make less money this year"

• Locked thread