Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

If I want a decent 29"-ish (could go larger, but 29" is sufficient) 2k-4k monitor with an IPS panel, but it's solely for productivity work, no gaming, what models should I be looking for? Is that the sort of thing likely to go on sale for Black Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Even though the Dell UltraWide is back up to $1149 now, evidently the coupon code "ElevenEleven" (sans quotes) brings it down to $1022 and change (before applicable tax, obviously).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I haven't bought a monitor in almost a decade, are factory refurbs reliable? Obviously I'd want to make sure they have a good return policy.

The IPS xb271hu (bmiprz with no A) is a bit more than I'd like to spend right now, looks to be around $7-800. I'm more aiming for $5-600, I'd like to game at 1440p.

My factory refurbished XB271HU has treated me very, very well for two months now and cost $545.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

My wife's looking for a new monitor, she mostly does Minecraft and FF14, plus some Office and general web browsing. Not a huge gamer. The big issue is that colors on her current monitor sucks. I have a... U2717D, I think? Which we both really like. She's fine with sticking at 1080p and doesn't exactly have a good gpu to drive 1440p anyway, so I was thinking of picking up a U2417H, which I can get through work for ~$230. Are there any other monitors at around that price I should consider, or is that the best deal I'll get?

Telum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 10, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zack Ater posted:

My wife's looking for a new monitor, she mostly does Minecraft and FF14, plus some Office and general web browsing. Not a huge gamer. The big issue is that colors on her current monitor sucks. I have a... U2717D, I think? Which we both really like. She's fine with sticking at 1080p and doesn't exactly have a good gpu to drive 1440p anyway, so I was thinking of picking up a U2517H, which I can get through work for ~$230. Are there any other monitors at around that price I should consider, or is that the best deal I'll get?

Do you mean the Dell U2417H or the U2515H? Both are good monitors but if she wants to stick with 1080p then you want the U2417H. Both are very good monitors and will serve her well, I used to play FF14 on a U2415 which is the 1200p/16:10 version and it worked really well, brilliant colors, very sharp text and easy on the eyes.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Me and my friend (both of us are not in the U.S) just ordered the XB271HU at USD 594 each after rebates. :dance:

~Living the 144Hz dream~

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Palladium posted:

Me and my friend (both of us are not in the U.S) just ordered the XB271HU at USD 594 each after rebates. :dance:

~Living the 144Hz dream~

Is this available in the US?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Do you mean the Dell U2417H or the U2515H? Both are good monitors but if she wants to stick with 1080p then you want the U2417H. Both are very good monitors and will serve her well, I used to play FF14 on a U2415 which is the 1200p/16:10 version and it worked really well, brilliant colors, very sharp text and easy on the eyes.

Whoops, yeah, I meant the U2417H, my bad. I love my U2717D so I'm pretty confident in their Ultrasharp line, I just wasn't sure if there was anything else worth looking at for around the same price. Thanks!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Palladium posted:

~Living the 144Hz dream~

Had mine for a year now and it’s still my favorite thing. So crisp so clear so smooth.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Palladium posted:

~Living the 144Hz dream~

I’ve had mine for six months and am really happy with it. Hope you both get ones with minimal bleed.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, so sorry if this question is a poor fit.

For <reasons> I find myself wanting to have two things fullscreen, but I only really need one of those two fullscreen things to take a miniscule amount of space. It's almost like I'd want one normal 24-27" monitor and then another monitor that is vertically same size but horizontally half the size. So something like this:

At the same time, two physical monitors is really not an option for <reasons>.

Is there some combination of hardware and software that would allow me to have a single, wider than normal monitor, essentially 1.5x the width of a normal monitor, together with software that could -- preferably with the press of a button -- make it appear as two distinct monitors with that setup to windows?

Alternative solutions also welcome.

ETA: The "software solution" part needs to be able to handle games and e.g. youtube in fullscreen mode. That means the DisplayFusion screen split feature does not fit the spec.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 11, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm not a member of the ultrawide club myself, but many high-end 21:9 monitors have the feature you're asking for built right in, no third-party software required.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

If anyone is still interested in the Dell ultrawide, be aware that they might secretly be out of stock and not telling anyone. I ordered one while it was on sale and my card declined the charge initially so it wasn't actually processed until the day after the sale ended. My order has now been delayed up to a week with no definite date and the order status page popped up with a method telling me I had 24 hours to consent to the delay or my order would be cancelled (as required by the FTC??).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

If anyone is still interested in the Dell ultrawide, be aware that they might secretly be out of stock and not telling anyone. I ordered one while it was on sale and my card declined the charge initially so it wasn't actually processed until the day after the sale ended. My order has now been delayed up to a week with no definite date and the order status page popped up with a method telling me I had 24 hours to consent to the delay or my order would be cancelled (as required by the FTC??).

I kinda figured I wouldn't be seeing this monitor until December when I ordered. But now I'll check my email to make sure they didn't email me anything crazy.

Edit: Oh great Dell has me down for two monitors. The first time I tried to purchase my card flagged the purchase as suspicious and texted me. Even thought I texted back saying the order was legit Dell's system said it would try to run the purchase the next day. Next day, no monitor so I do the order again and make sure it went through. Well Dell's system must have waited 48 hours because now I have two monitors under my orders page and Dell's chat system is not going to be online until Monday. At this point I'm afraid if I cancel one of the orders they'll both be canceled.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 11, 2017

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My order did the same thing, it shipped a day after that weird ftc thing.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Coredump posted:

I kinda figured I wouldn't be seeing this monitor until December when I ordered. But now I'll check my email to make sure they didn't email me anything crazy.

Edit: Oh great Dell has me down for two monitors. The first time I tried to purchase my card flagged the purchase as suspicious and texted me. Even thought I texted back saying the order was legit Dell's system said it would try to run the purchase the next day. Next day, no monitor so I do the order again and make sure it went through. Well Dell's system must have waited 48 hours because now I have two monitors under my orders page and Dell's chat system is not going to be online until Monday. At this point I'm afraid if I cancel one of the orders they'll both be canceled.

What price did you get them at? I missed out and would take one off your hands if possible... Email me at willdocoffee at gmail if you’re interested. Thanks!

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm not a member of the ultrawide club myself, but many high-end 21:9 monitors have the feature you're asking for built right in, no third-party software required.

Could you point me towards some good search terms or an example of such a screen? For example all the Dell marketing material I'm finding is impressively lacking in information.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
I had an issue with dell too when I ordered during the sale. They called me 3 times on a Saturday morning to confirm I was purchasing it. Had no issues after that though.

This thing is loving amazing. Pull the trigger!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Loezi posted:

Could you point me towards some good search terms or an example of such a screen? For example all the Dell marketing material I'm finding is impressively lacking in information.

I did some poking around and it looks like I may have misled you a bit, sorry. :( To get exactly what you want, you'll probably be using some software rather than a hardware feature. LG and Samsung advertise Picture-by-Picture and Dual Controller stuff that are straight up hardware solutions but 1.) are intended for use with two computers mainly, especially as the feature is home network-based, and 2.) split the screen right down in half. (this is of course less of an issue when you have an even wiiiiiiiiiiiider 32:9 monitor, as that splits in half into two 16:9 monitors. e: 21:9 simply doesn't have the screen space to fit a 16:9 app and then another 8:9 app together)

How flexible are the apps/games you want to use with them? If they can run in borderless fullscreen a.k.a. borderless window instead, the feature that came to mind when I replied last was LG's Screen Split or Dell Display Manager, which basically gives your OS extra divisions on display to put your windows. You can then drag the vertical window borders horizontally to get exactly the 2:1 ratio of one app versus the other you're looking for. For things like YouTube video that try to directly render to your entire monitor when you go fullscreen with it, try Magic Actions for YouTube that forces it to fill the entire window instead (you can F11 to remove your browser tabs on top).

Is this for a streaming setup or for watching tutorials as you do something, at all?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 11, 2017

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

:words:

How flexible are the apps/games you want to use with them?

Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it. I guess Youtube is the worst offender, I'll take a look at Magic Actions for YouTube. That might just effectively solve the problem.

Is this for a streaming setup or for watching tutorials as you do something, at all?

The usecase I'm most worried about would be a situation where I'm playing some slow-moving strategy game and would like to watch youtube/netflix at the same time: a small video screen is fine but obstructing the main window (via f.ex. DisplayFusion's always-on-top functionality) is not. In that sense, even a 21:9 split into 16:9 and 5:9 might be fine.

I also have a set of work-related usecases such as LaTeX editor + pdf-preview + a reference text open at the same time, or an IDE + a browser open at the same time, but those I can easily solve with the general window placement tools. It's the full-screen stuff that I'm worried about.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 11, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

What price did you get them at? I missed out and would take one off your hands if possible... Email me at willdocoffee at gmail if you’re interested. Thanks!

Disregard.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What's the best free sync panel in 1080p for around two hundred bucks? It's been so long since I've bought a monitor I don't even know what to look for.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

fat bossy gerbil posted:

What's the best free sync panel in 1080p for around two hundred bucks? It's been so long since I've bought a monitor I don't even know what to look for.

Do you want want ultra wide y/n?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Freesync monitors are in general far cheaper than G-Sync ones, although there's more variability in the quality/features of the former. You can find many Freesync monitors because it's cheap to implement (vs. G-Sync,) for example I've seen a wave of refurbished $200 28" UHD panels, but you're going to have to narrow down the features you're looking for: size, resolution, and by extension, aspect ratio, (FHD and 16:9, respectively, in your case, unless you found something with another resolution to your liking,) panel type (TN, IPS, VA, etc.) You can look at this list to see specs on most if not all Freesync displays. Note that the actual Freesync function works within a range of values, and on cheaper monitors this is often 48-75 Hz or even 40-62 Hz. You'd have to take into consideration what GPU you'll be using, what games you'll play, and by extension what kind of frame rate you will expect to push to determine if you can go with a narrower Freesync range. If you do expect to run demanding games and get low frame rates, look for a monitor with Low Framerate Compensation, which helps in exactly that situation. I can tell you having a monitor with a high refresh rate, however, (say, 100 Hz or better) is going to be the most noticeable thing about it. Also for the most part you'll probably need to connect via DP, but Freesync over HDMI is also common.

Edit: Here is an excellent 24" FHD Freesync monitor with LFC, a high refresh rate and a wide Freesync range for $200 after the promo code. You have 2 days to get in on the deal, however.

wargames posted:

Do you want want ultra wide y/n?

Yo wargames, when are you coming back to WoT? They always come back! :getin:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 12, 2017

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

How good is the Dell UltraSharp U2515Hx 25" overall? I need a good all rounder monitor with decent gaming ability for less than $500. The main thing that worries me is my GPU, which has hosed me over in the past on compatibility issues. I use an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.

I liked the looks of this monitor because it seems to have very good default settings.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Skeleton King posted:

How good is the Dell UltraSharp U2515Hx 25" overall? I need a good all rounder monitor with decent gaming ability for less than $500. The main thing that worries me is my GPU, which has hosed me over in the past on compatibility issues. I use an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.

I liked the looks of this monitor because it seems to have very good default settings.

What card in the 200 series? There are a bunch of them so just "200 series" doesn't really tell us much.

Anyway, the U2515H is a good monitor but without knowing exactly what video card you have it's hard to say how well it will drive a 1440p monitor.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I believe its a Sapphire Dual-X R9 270

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Atomizer posted:

Yo wargames, when are you coming back to WoT? They always come back! :getin:

I am out, been out for years. I am clean.

But back to monitors this is a good one. IPS, Ultrawide, good ppi and freesync.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ4GK8209

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

I believe its a Sapphire Dual-X R9 270

Ok, that card is very slow by modern standards, it might be able to handle games at 1440p at low settings but it will struggle at anything above that. You can still get the U2515H but plan on upgrading your video card in the near future, ideally to something like a GTX 1070. The Dell U2417H is a somewhat cheaper 1080p alternative, you would still want a video card upgrade but a GTX 1060 or RX 580 would be a good choice for 1080p and both are cheaper than a GTX 1070, also your current R9 270 will handle 1080p quite a bit better than 1440p.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

wargames posted:

But back to monitors this is a good one. IPS, Ultrawide, good ppi and freesync.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ4GK8209

I actually have the 25" version of this, and I liked it so much I got the 34" version of the same. At the latter size the resolution (WFHD) is kind of low, but then again the former is actually kind of small overall; at 25" that makes it pretty short because it's ultra-wide. The 29" version is probably a good balance, but I still think a high-refresh-rate display should be everyone's "primary" monitor if you game on it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, that card is very slow by modern standards, it might be able to handle games at 1440p at low settings but it will struggle at anything above that. You can still get the U2515H but plan on upgrading your video card in the near future, ideally to something like a GTX 1070. The Dell U2417H is a somewhat cheaper 1080p alternative, you would still want a video card upgrade but a GTX 1060 or RX 580 would be a good choice for 1080p and both are cheaper than a GTX 1070, also your current R9 270 will handle 1080p quite a bit better than 1440p.

Also, that card is old enough that it won't support FreeSync. It may still be worth seeking out a FreeSync monitor anyway in expectations of a future upgrade, but there are finally some refurb GSync monitors for under $250 now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So due to order shenanigans I have two of those Dell 34" monitors headed to me. They have both already shipped. Is there a way I can deny acceptance of one or something to avoid having to ship it back to Dell on my own dime?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Coredump posted:

So due to order shenanigans I have two of those Dell 34" monitors headed to me. They have both already shipped. Is there a way I can deny acceptance of one or something to avoid having to ship it back to Dell on my own dime?

Call Dell and they can probably stop the shipment.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Dell Refurbished 27 inch Gaming Monitor - S2716DGR is this a solid deal for $439? My tv I've been using as a monitor has been giving out and I wanted to upgrade to 1440p 144hz with gsync. Seems like one of the better deals I've come across. Or would it be better just to wait a week or two?

Edit: nevermind I realized it is a TN panel

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 13, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ThatOneGuy posted:

Call Dell and they can probably stop the shipment.

I chatted with them and they said they would take care of it with Fedex. Here's hoping.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So is playing at 2k resolutions on a curved ultrawide a big deal? I occasionally play StarCraft 2 so ultrawide scaling is out. Sounds like I'd just have to deal w/ black borders which doesn't sound too terribly bad.

Never been a multi-monitor guy, but I like real estate, so I'm just trying to decide if ultrawide is the best option or just waiting for a 2k IPS GSync that doesn't suffer from quality issues.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

So is playing at 2k resolutions on a curved ultrawide a big deal? I occasionally play StarCraft 2 so ultrawide scaling is out. Sounds like I'd just have to deal w/ black borders which doesn't sound too terribly bad.

Never been a multi-monitor guy, but I like real estate, so I'm just trying to decide if ultrawide is the best option or just waiting for a 2k IPS GSync that doesn't suffer from quality issues.

The quality issues on the 2k/IPS/Gsync monitors have been worked out for a long time now, the occasional bad one still pops up, but at no higher a rate than other IPS monitors.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

Dell Refurbished 27 inch Gaming Monitor - S2716DGR is this a solid deal for $439? My tv I've been using as a monitor has been giving out and I wanted to upgrade to 1440p 144hz with gsync. Seems like one of the better deals I've come across. Or would it be better just to wait a week or two?

Edit: nevermind I realized it is a TN panel

That monitor will be $400 brand new on Black Friday, rumor has it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The quality issues on the 2k/IPS/Gsync monitors have been worked out for a long time now, the occasional bad one still pops up, but at no higher a rate than other IPS monitors.

I purchased a PG279Q a couple of months ago, and it was one of the "occasional bad ones" you speak of. I don't have much interest in playing panel roulette again. Online reviews echo my experience that backlight bleed is a common issue among that panel in particular.

Also it looked stupid.

Anyway, is playing at 2k resolutions on a curved ultrawide a big deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

I purchased a PG279Q a couple of months ago, and it was one of the "occasional bad ones" you speak of. I don't have much interest in playing panel roulette again. Online reviews echo my experience that backlight bleed is a common issue among that panel in particular.

Also it looked stupid.

Anyway, is playing at 2k resolutions on a curved ultrawide a big deal?

As long as you don't mind black bars you should be fine.