Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Neurolimal posted:

Never really understood the attempt to slippery-slope this. When considering the moral value on a incident-by-incident basis we need not fear setting precedent, unless the pro-punch people are also proposing the puncher not be charged with assault in court.
Eh, the whole reason I think there isn't a slippery slope problem is because I think the person who is out in public supporting genocide is already engaging in a violent act, and punching them is not escalating the situation. If you think punching genocide supporters is both an escalation in violence and a good thing, you have some explaining to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think this thread will appreciate this comedy Twitter account, and this post in particular, regardless of where you stand on the left/liberal divide.

Edit: note, I'm not clear on if this account is intentional parody, but it's self-parody regardless of whether it's intentional or not lmao

https://twitter.com/r_neoliberal/status/929784807331995648

Serious link:

Sexual harassment and assault in the work place is a systemic and pervasive problem, but it's the tip of the iceberg that is abuse of workers, especially female workers, in America.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 13, 2017

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Republicans spent 8 years throwing a tantrum because a black man won the presidency and declared on day one they were going to abdicate their role as governing party. Before that, they tried to impeach a Democratic president over a sex scandal. Republican presidents since Nixon have been universally awful shitheads and to top it off, they stole a Supreme Court seat.

The democratic norms of the United States have been dead since at least ‘94 and its already assumed by the media that Democrats are the adults but Republicans are whiny children who get a pass for everything they do. gently caress ‘em. If they don’t want to do things properly then there’s no reason we should be taking their garbage nominees seriously.

We discuss this as they attempt to appoint a loving blogger to a judgeship because he’ll vote straight R lmao. gently caress these people.

Technig they attempted to impeach him for perjury, but hey, why let the facts get on the way of a good story.

Also by "do things properly" do you mean "do things my way"?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harsh But True posted:

Technig they attempted to impeach him for perjury, but hey, why let the facts get on the way of a good story.

"Technically," says the man grasping for straws in his efforts to defend American fascism.

Republicans have spent 50 years making GBS threads on American governmental procedure and democratic norms, you don't get to turn around and claim we're the bad guys for playing by your rules jackass.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

"Technically," says the man grasping for straws in his efforts to defend American fascism.

Republicans have spent 50 years making GBS threads on American governmental procedure and democratic norms, you don't get to turn around and claim we're the bad guys for playing by your rules jackass.

Well, some of us believe facts are important. But feel free to dismiss my technicalities.

Both sides routinely grab as much power as they can and then don't want to play nice when the other side is in charge. Hence the original ACA vote passing without a single Republican vote. I don't think running roughshod over the other party is a Republican invention.

Also, did you just assume my gender?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope Doug Jones wins and has Roy Moore arrested.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harsh But True posted:

Well, some of us believe facts are important. But feel free to dismiss my technicalities.

Both sides routinely grab as much power as they can and then don't want to play nice when the other side is in charge. Hence the original ACA vote passing without a single Republican vote. I don't think running roughshod over the other party is a Republican invention.

Also, did you just assume my gender?

Ah yes, facts being important. Let us discuss global warming then. Oh wait.

"Both sides" my rear end, Republicans have by and large controlled the government since the '80s and routinely been the ones intentionally doing the most damage to said government, to the point that they named their strategy of intentionally loving things up "starve the beast." This isn't even a conspiracy, it's their stated goal. ACA passing without a single Republican vote is because Republicans are morons who oppose universal healthcare, not a statement on the Republicans' moral superiority or the Democrats' supposed lack of bipartisanship. They shredded the ACA in the Senate to try and get Republicans on board - on board, mind you, with a plan they had come up with via the Heritage Foundation - and the Republicans snubbed them to send a message to the first black president.

I did, technically, assume your gender. If you wish, I will change the pronoun in my joke.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

I did, technically, assume your gender. If you wish, I will change the pronoun in my joke.

C'mon man, you know that phrase is only used facetiously.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lightning Knight posted:

"Both sides" my rear end, Republicans have by and large controlled the government since the '80s and routinely been the ones intentionally doing the most damage to said government, to the point that they named their strategy of intentionally loving things up "starve the beast." This isn't even a conspiracy, it's their stated goal. ACA passing without a single Republican vote is because Republicans are morons who oppose universal healthcare, not a statement on the Republicans' moral superiority or the Democrats' supposed lack of bipartisanship. They shredded the ACA in the Senate to try and get Republicans on board - on board, mind you, with a plan they had come up with via the Heritage Foundation - and the Republicans snubbed them to send a message to the first black president.

If you wanna get technical, the ACA did get one single republican vote from Joseph Cao, a one-term Republican for Louisiana's 2nd district.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

inkblot posted:

C'mon man, you know that phrase is only used facetiously.

Yep, but I am willing to cop to assuming and change it to satisfy someone who has been misgendered, and apologize. I have no problem with that, even if Harsh But True is otherwise a disingenuous shithead.

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you wanna get technical, the ACA did get one single republican vote from Joseph Cao, a one-term Republican for Louisiana's 2nd district.

Today I learned! :)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lightning Knight posted:

Today I learned! :)

Fun fact, he was the first Vietnamese-American to serve in congress, and the first republican to represent that district since 1891. In 2010 he lost reelected to Cedric Richmond, who is now the chair of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm happy to discuss the facts of climate change. Can you say the same about gender?

It's possible that republicans are morons, but it might also be possible that they're representing the desires of those who elected them. There's this weird thing that happens in a in a democracy where not everyone agrees with what you think is best for them. (That doesn't necessarily make them a moron).

Democrats and some republicans refusing to repeal the ACA is the same thing: people opposing something they don't think is a good option. Just because the party who's out if power doesn't bow down and cower before the ruling party doesn't make them obstructionist. It might, but it might also be them standing up for their constituents.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harsh But True posted:

I'm happy to discuss the facts of climate change. Can you say the same about gender?

It's possible that republicans are morons, but it might also be possible that they're representing the desires of those who elected them. There's this weird thing that happens in a in a democracy where not everyone agrees with what you think is best for them. (That doesn't necessarily make them a moron).

Democrats and some republicans refusing to repeal the ACA is the same thing: people opposing something they don't think is a good option. Just because the party who's out if power doesn't bow down and cower before the ruling party doesn't make them obstructionist. It might, but it might also be them standing up for their constituents.

I'm perfectly content to discuss the facts of gender with you, and again, I apologize for assuming your gender. If you want me to change it in my original post, I will.

They represent the desires of those who elected them, and those desires by and large represent garbage economics and hatred of the Other, so yeah, they're either morons or actively malevolent, and neither option is good.

Oh I'm not saying the Republicans ought to roll over and die. I think Democrats should just make it a priority to stake them in the heart.

Democratic priorities in order should be:

1) Connect with people on the issues they care about
2) Offer left-wing solutions to those issues
3) Get elected
4) Destroy conservatism and the Republican Party.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
The Republicans and Democrats both represent those that got them elected. The billionaire donors.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Shutting down the government, playing brinksmanship with the full faith and credit of the union, vowing from day one not to cooperate on anything and ignoring their constitutional duty to appoint a SCOTUS nominee do, however, make the GOP obstructionist and no longer in the realm of "loyal opposition".

So gently caress this "both-sides" narrative.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016
"Our fourth priority should be to destroy conservatism and the Republican party."

"Waahh they're so partisan!! Why won't they work with us on our agenda!?!"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harsh But True posted:

It's possible that republicans are morons, but it might also be possible that they're representing the desires of those who elected them.

Yeah, like passing an ACA repeal with an approval rating in the teens lmfao

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The white supremacist pedo party is bad imo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Motto posted:

I dunno, what if a fifth of the country is on the fence about kid loving? We should totally validate their feelings and cater to their fragility.

Wait. No. That would be loving stupid!

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Motto posted:

Kevin Spacey would beg to differ.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harsh But True posted:

Kevin Spacey is also garbage, did you have a point other than "no u?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Kevin Spacey is also garbage, did you have a point other than "no u?"

I'm eagerly awaiting their gender insights. :allears:

Lightning Knight posted:

Democratic priorities in order should be:

1) Connect with people on the issues they care about
2) Offer left-wing solutions to those issues
3) Get elected
4) Destroy conservatism and the Republican Party.

The problem is when people get too obsessed with 3. :smith:

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 13, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've been reading a little Robert Cialdini and his ideas on reciprocity may be of interest to this thread.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Harsh But True posted:

"Our fourth priority should be to destroy conservatism and the Republican party."

"Waahh they're so partisan!! Why won't they work with us on our agenda!?!"

Nobody but billionaire donors want the parties to work together.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Republicans suck but I知 not sure I知 ready to say that all the people who voted for them are crazy/evil when the Democrats suck so hard and refuse to offer actual solutions on so many issues. I mean, if you池e a coal miner in the middle of nowhere what exactly do the Democrats have to offer you? A tax credit for job training when they put you out of work? And that doesn稚 even touch how loving smug and unbearable they are with their genuinely bad ideas like NAFTA and poo poo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Harsh But True posted:

They were trying to impeach him before the the perjury happened, so that really doesn't make much sense. The perjury is just the only thing they actually got some traction on, but it wasn't the attempt, merely the method.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

readingatwork posted:

Republicans suck but I知 not sure I知 ready to say that all the people who voted for them are crazy/evil when the Democrats suck so hard and refuse to offer actual solutions on so many issues.

Everyone who voted Republican is crazy/evil. Most people who voted Democrat are probably crazy/evil too though.

The people who recognize the Democrats are bad but aren't crazy/evil just don't vote at all.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Harsh But True posted:

lol that a conservatives best defense for "my party's base is rallying around a pedophile for Senate candidate" is "a Hollywood actor is a sex creep"

were you under the impression the Press F To Pay Respects guy was a some kind of liberal position of power

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Republicans suck but I’m not sure I’m ready to say that all the people who voted for them are crazy/evil when the Democrats suck so hard and refuse to offer actual solutions on so many issues. I mean, if you’re a coal miner in the middle of nowhere what exactly do the Democrats have to offer you? A tax credit for job training when they put you out of work? And that doesn’t even touch how loving smug and unbearable they are with their genuinely bad ideas like NAFTA and poo poo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if only Harsh But True had come to terms with xer beliefs sooner, Denny Hastert could have been loving children in public to own the libs, instead of being forced to distribute hush money in quiet

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

Republicans suck but I知 not sure I知 ready to say that all the people who voted for them are crazy/evil

Not all, just the vast majority. Also the options were stupid or evil, and I'm willing to bet that all Republicans and a fair portion of Democrats fall into one of those two categories.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Sandusky 2020: Seriously You Guys I Was Pranking The Libtards

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

readingatwork posted:

Republicans suck but I知 not sure I知 ready to say that all the people who voted for them are crazy/evil when the Democrats suck so hard and refuse to offer actual solutions on so many issues. I mean, if you池e a coal miner in the middle of nowhere what exactly do the Democrats have to offer you? A tax credit for job training when they put you out of work? And that doesn稚 even touch how loving smug and unbearable they are with their genuinely bad ideas like NAFTA and poo poo.

That's assuming that the main driver of votes is policy - what if it's more about identity and upbringing than the information they get from a party or a campaign?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
The majority of Americans didn't cast a vote for Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. If you voted for either because they were "the lesser evil" you're little more than a stockholm syndrome victim, I don't hold it against you. If you openly supported either candidate as good you are a moron who should be disregarded in the future.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

That's assuming that the main driver of votes is policy - what if it's more about identity and upbringing than the information they get from a party or a campaign?

Number 1 predictor of voting habits is what your parents voted for, and politics is largely a team sport, so this bears out.

I don't think it's fair to blame Republicans for having been born into conservative areas, but it is fair to blame them for ignoring or embracing the bigotry of their party as it has evolved over the last four decades.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think it's fair to blame Republicans for having been born into conservative areas, but it is fair to blame them for ignoring or embracing the bigotry of their party as it has evolved over the last four decades.

This but Democrats

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
"My political movement is composed of good people actually" I say, while voting for a pedophile on grounds I think he hates gay people more than the other guy

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

NewForumSoftware posted:

This but Democrats

Nah, the Democrats traffic in soft bigotry and indifference, the Republicans have embraced open white nationalism. In this they are not the same.

* this is not a ringing endorsement of America or its political parties.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

Nah, the Democrats traffic in soft bigotry and indifference, the Republicans have embraced open white nationalism. In this they are not the same.

* this is not a ringing endorsement of America or its political parties.

Oh is prison slavery soft bigotry now? Not taking a stand on gay marriage until the log cabin republicans did is soft bigotry?

I've never heard of this term "soft bigotry" where'd you pull it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Lightning Knight posted:

Number 1 predictor of voting habits is what your parents voted for, and politics is largely a team sport, so this bears out.

It's a complicated issue, particularly when you get into the question of education, or the lack thereof of some of the voters. But I agree, at some point people have agency and they can choose. Just like some people chose to rebel against the Union and some people chose to fight for it.

Thank God both parties are equally moral, and thus both recognize that the Confederacy and their leaders were wrong.

• Locked thread