Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think getting worked up about the precise way these victims are being weaponized against the Moore campaign is... a little dehumanizing, frankly. These women will pursue whatever justice they are afforded. "This is a less effective tactic" may even be true; but it's not the point. This isn't our tragedy, it's theirs. Don't worry so much about how effective it is. They aren't our weapon. This is their battle, we can support it (and should) or not, but we don't dictate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Xombie posted:

The timing is not a coincidence.

what the gently caress is this even supposed to imply

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

And unfortunately for them, there is a strong likely-hood that the bible-belt of Alabama will cling to him no matter what, so there's going to be division and hatred among the GOP for this hopefully.

is going to be? they've been dealing with this particular internal slapfight since 2009 and the roots go back much further than that

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Not sure where I brought myself up. You guys keep bringing me up, but I definitely never mentioned how Moore affects me.

botany posted:

what the gently caress is this even supposed to imply

How is that an implication? The sentence before it explains it literally.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mendrian posted:

I think getting worked up about the precise way these victims are being weaponized against the Moore campaign is... a little dehumanizing, frankly. These women will pursue whatever justice they are afforded. "This is a less effective tactic" may even be true; but it's not the point. This isn't our tragedy, it's theirs. Don't worry so much about how effective it is. They aren't our weapon. This is their battle, we can support it (and should) or not, but we don't dictate it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xombie posted:

No, Allred's modus operandi is to use televised press conferences.
And presumably the accuser who sought her out knows this and has given her blessing. This is how she feels safest while sharing her story - with spotlights and a crazy good lawyer by her side.

Chilichimp posted:

few pages ago, but I'm disappointed folks didn't react to my Dunning-Keurig comment.
I heartily enjoyed it and I plan to steal it and claim it as the product of my own genius in future facebook comments.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

It's almost like conservatives don't argue in good faith and literally any excuse to demonize anyone to the left of Ronald Reagan is viable, and if none exists they'll fabricate one, so asking people to self-police to avoid it is in fact stupid. :thunk:

It's akin to the argument that every Democrat that has taken part in a Presidential debate has faced--the vast majority of Democratic candidates in the last 20-30 years have been smarter and savvier than their Republican opponents, so the argument is made that they have to avoid looking arrogant and condescending.

The solution? Be arrogant and condescending. They expect it anyway; might as well go whole hog and curbstomp them on stage.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Make stupid posts, get mocking answers.

look dude i wasn't mocking you but ok whatever

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

Not sure where I brought myself up. You guys keep bringing me up, but I definitely never mentioned how Moore affects me.

you keep injecting your opinions about the best way for these sex crimes to be strategized to do maximum damage to moore, a man you dislike

when you could instead be not so overly concerned with the way that a woman expresses herself maybe

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Alter Ego posted:

It's akin to the argument that every Democrat that has taken part in a Presidential debate has faced--the vast majority of Democratic candidates in the last 20-30 years have been smarter and savvier than their Republican opponents, so the argument is made that they have to avoid looking arrogant and condescending.

The solution? Be arrogant and condescending. They expect it anyway; might as well go whole hog and curbstomp them on stage.

I seriously hope our candidates start to get the "be who they say you are" message.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/OrrinHatch/status/930131301306421253

Starting to wonder if they're just trying to give it to Jones thinking they can easily beat him in 2020 with a non-rapist candidate.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Phoix posted:

Starting to wonder if they're just trying to give it to Jones thinking they can easily beat him in 2020 with a non-rapist candidate.

They probably can

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/OrrinHatch/status/930131301306421253?s=17

Eatablishment green light to dump Moore following McConnells comments.

farraday fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 13, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

I'm begging you... please stop.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Phoix posted:

drat, Moore lost the guy who actually fought in the Civil War.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

you keep injecting your opinions about the best way for these sex crimes to be strategized to do maximum damage to moore, a man you dislike

Am I not supposed to dislike the racist, homophobic, pedophile rapist?

quote:

when you could instead be not so overly concerned with the way that a woman expresses herself maybe

I'm concerned with these accusations having the biggest impact against him.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

It's entirely unfounded.

I hope you're right.

But at the same time, I think if she had gone to the Post with her story first and then retained Allred to help her navigate the public scrutiny and defend her and protect her rights, I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alter Ego posted:

I actually disagree with this, people have strong negative reactions to "smug." But there's a difference between overcompensating to avoid the smug label and leaning into it on purpose, people should just be how they are and make good-faith appeals to the electorate that they understand their problems and have good solutions to them instead of obsessing over bullshit right-wing attacks.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Chilichimp posted:

I think what they're bemoaning is the effect this will have on the political optics. As far as Republican voters are concerned: Gloria Allred is Hilary, Pelosi, Feinstein etc.

Catching up again but yeah, this is what I myself was talking about. In the end it's the victim's life and all such that matters though, I hope it works out for her.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phoix posted:

or even if the republicans want to give up total control of government while they are so embarrassingly dysfunctional they can't pass legislation despite the complete lack of external opposition

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I hope the conference is fast when it happens so we have the actual allegation to discuss.

I don't think my criticism was unfair either. If this person came forward to Allred after the Thursday story, that is a very short amount of time for her to have done her due diligence as an attorney. Hopefully this was pretty much all she was working on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think this might have broken the ratio game.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Phoix posted:

The real question is if they can keep Moore from winning the next primary. (I mean, can they actually legally bar him from running as a Republican?)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

I hope you're right.

But at the same time, I think if she had gone to the Post with her story first and then retained Allred to help her navigate the public scrutiny and defend her and protect her rights, I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

We would absolutely be having this discussion.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
The thing is, if the GOP give the election to Jones then their tax overhaul plan gets that much more difficult

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Phoix posted:

They might not have the 67 votes yet but I think they're gonna come awfully close. There's a number of Republicans who might not wanna blow their chances in 2018 and 2020 by explicitly or implicitly supporting a pedophile.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Xombie posted:

it literally doesn't. if the timing is not a coincidence, what determines the timing? are you implying the victim is coming forward now to serve what you, forums poster xombie, think the agenda of the day should be? rather than, you know, opening up about the fact she was raped, on her own terms, in her own way? why the gently caress are you so concerned to police the way a victim relates her story?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

you're definitely not supposed to start lecturing women about when and how they should speak so that you can share with the world how much you disapprove of the pedophile

it's a super bad look and you don't care because you don't get it, which is bad enough behavior that it's causing plenty of people who would otherwise agree with you to look at your statements in disgust and, hilariously, you just plow ahead, uncaring, fueled by the certainty of your male privilege that you know better than women

botany posted:

it literally doesn't. if the timing is not a coincidence, what determines the timing? are you implying the victim is coming forward now to serve what you, forums poster xombie, think the agenda of the day should be? rather than, you know, opening up about the fact she was raped, on her own terms, in her own way? why the gently caress are you so concerned to police the way a victim relates her story?

he just wants to be sure (because he is a political mastermind) that these allegations damage moore as much as possible, and if some women are told to shut up and sit down then that's just necessary for the cause

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I actually disagree with this, people have strong negative reactions to "smug." But there's a difference between overcompensating to avoid the smug label and leaning into it on purpose, people should just be how they are and make good-faith appeals to the electorate that they understand their problems and have good solutions to them instead of obsessing over bullshit right-wing attacks.

If I'd been Hillary Clinton on that debate stage watching Donald Trump waffle through an explanation of something he clearly knows nothing about I'd be pretty smug.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

BlueberryCanary posted:

The thing is, if the GOP give the election to Jones then their tax overhaul plan gets that much more difficult

poo poo, so much the better for them, electorally speaking.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Xombie posted:

I'm concerned with these accusations having the biggest impact against him.

Of course Moore is despicable. What you're not 'supposed' to do is view his accusers as living weapons that can be optimized to take down Moore and his alt-right buddies; they're rational actors with their own pains, plans, and agendas.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TheScott2K posted:

Did this happen when the first round of accusations dropped?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Phoix posted:

Not a bad play to make, really, though with the senate as tight as it is already, it would put a huge dent in their legislative agenda.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

BlueberryCanary posted:

Not if it passes in the mext month. They’ve shown them to be great at operating under tight time constraints. :D

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All this “stand aside” talk is confusing. He’s on the ballot and they can’t run anyone else. Are they suggesting Moore concedes to Jones?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BlueberryCanary posted:

they're calculating they get the seat back from another state in 2018. they're going to hail mary a write in and take the loss

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Well I wouldn't be participating. I can only speak for myself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

Not a bad play to make, really, though with the senate as tight as it is already, it would put a huge dent in their legislative agenda.

better to fail to pass anything due to drat obstructionist democrats than to fail to pass anything because you're so riddled with internal dissent you can't agree on where to meet for lunch

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The real question is if they can keep Moore from winning the next primary. (I mean, can they actually legally bar him from running as a Republican?)

Based on the presidential election I'm gonna say no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

i really believe that the biggest reason the gop isn't rallying around moore is that moore is obviously a dumbass who keeps fumbling his responses. he can't even lie and say "all these allegations are untrue" he just keeps making it worse for himself. he's too much of a liability to be worth party loyalty

collins specifically cited how unconvincing his denials were

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/930142355696553986

• Locked thread