Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is whatever package Christopher or his lawyers shopping around something that includes the Silmarillion?

euphronius posted:

I'm sure the abundance of romance and sex scenes in LOTR will make it popular with many
Sil's got incest a couple of times. There ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A televised Silmarillion could absolutely work; it's got a strong overall arc, a mix of recurring and once-off characters, and a bit of GoT-y incest and Torment in Pits, whatever that means exactly. Who wouldn't want to see the fall of Numenor?
On the other hand, I'm not sure I could survive another decade of columnists writing about how gritty and morally complex modern fantasy is compared with Tolkien, ughh.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Silmarillion isn’t a story, it’s an outline of a lot of stories, most of them never written in detail (including some of the most important material) and the whole never really adequately linked up to the mythos behind LotR. Any adaptation of it would inevitably contain the skeleton of Tolkien fleshed out by a load of poo poo invented by some modern fantasy hack (at best) or tv hacks (more likely). Just the structural issues of how to adapt it would kill it. And I think it would be a really tough sell to explain an “LotR franchise installment” that’s 90% about insanely proud, wise, beautiful, ancient gnomes fighting out a suicidal feud with the devil with no hobbits, no comedy, no real protagonist and a timeline spanning centuries. You’re going to get a lot of latter-day Hugo Dysons groaning “oh gently caress, not another elf”.

Columnists are going to write nonsense no matter what since the Silmarillion has plenty of moral depth (more than LotR in some ways) and it’s self-serving dong polishing with no appreciation of the history of the genre to claim fantasy has been moving in direction of “moral complexity”, which has not stopped many think pieces from being written about this “fact”.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Ley of Leithian owns bones and could easily be a miniseries . You could do most of the history of the silmarils and the elves as part of that story as well.

Turin Master of Fate is way too loving sad .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean can you imagine getting owned by a talking sword .

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also the Sil had the problem that virtually all of the characters who are there at the beginning die, and the story is resolved by newer characters. The only major characters who leave Valinor and survive till Morgoth is overthrown are two of Feanor's sons and Galadriel, none of whom are involved in Morgoth's defeat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like if they can make a TV serial based on the Mahabharata, they can do one based on the Silmarillion. However, I think it would require the audience to be known to have a greater degree of... reverence, I guess would be the term... than exists currently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beren and luthien have their story end happily. Which is what makes it attractive I guess tv. They just have to end it with them and not follow the Silmaril.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pretty much the only obstacle to writing the Noldor as totally sick throbbing metal protagonists and antagonists is their inbuilt bias towards actual faithful monogamy. Dial that down a couple of notches - which is probably no more of a major edit than removing Tom Bombadil and the Scouring, or rewriting Arwen's larger part - and you've got the framework of some hot stuff.

euphronius posted:

Beren and luthien have their story end happily. Which is what makes it attractive I guess tv. They just have to end it with them and not follow the Silmaril.
They absolutely have to go after the Silmaril, because that makes it from a story with a happy ending to some poo poo with eternal romance chops cuz people saw it on TV.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

just make the children of hurin miniseries, its got sister-loving, copious amounts of good guys getting stabbed to death and dwarfs in it to tick all those game of thrones boxes

dont touch anything else with a ten foot pole

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’d watch the loving poo poo out of a Tales of Hobbiton series.

First season covers Bilbo’s re-integration into local life, complete with rumors, heartbreak, drop-ins from dwarves, and scandal.

Second season deals with the adoption of Frodo and delves deep into local politics.

Third season sees Bilbo playing a greater and greater local role while being haunted by the ever-growing compulsion of the Ring.

Fourth season concerns continental politics and darkness creeping into the Shire, ending with the Party and the departure of Bilbo.

Fifth and final season covers the seventeen years between Frodo receiving the Ring and his fateful visit with Gandalf, building his relationships with Sam, Merry, and Pippin, and cementing Lobelia’s position as a wonderful awful person we all love to hate.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i want to watch elves gently caress

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I do not.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Well obviously...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I thought there was a period in there after "elves" so I just thought you were really excited to watch a TV show about elves.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SHISHKABOB posted:

I thought there was a period in there after "elves" so I just thought you were really excited to watch a TV show about elves.

He's not just excited, he's C.K. excited

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

We'll probably get this in the LOTR TV series by Amazon. :quagmire:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

its happening

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...m_medium=Social

and its def some SIL coming at you

quote:

Amazon said the series will explore new storylines that precede author J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘The Fellowship of the Ring,’ the first installment in the famed fantasy trilogy.

lemme see that multi-million dollar CGI budget of Sauron turning into a giant bat

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oh boy here we go

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This could be good. This could also be bad. It could even be both at the same time. All things are possible. God help me, I'm actually interested.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That statement doesn’t actually mention the Sil at all so maybe it will just be original plot do not steal

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
There's no way this will cover Sil material. They don't have the rights. No one does. They can't even reference Sil names and places that don't also appear in LotR. When they say precedes LotR I'm assuming they will be writing their own storyline that takes place in between The Hobbit and LotR, like a lot of the LotR-licensed RPG supplements do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is lots of stuff in the appendix they could do.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Monopthalmus posted:

There's no way this will cover Sil material. They don't have the rights. No one does. They can't even reference Sil names and places that don't also appear in LotR. When they say precedes LotR I'm assuming they will be writing their own storyline that takes place in between The Hobbit and LotR, like a lot of the LotR-licensed RPG supplements do.

The Lotr appendices are not off limits so it could be Numenorean shenanigans.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

it's actually just going to be a TV adaptation of the hit LOTR simulator, Middle-earth: Shadow of War

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

it's actually just going to be a TV adaptation of the hit LOTR simulator, Middle-earth: Shadow of War

And taking Hurin back to Angband he set him in a couch of stone upon a high place of Thangorodrim, from which he could see afar the land of Amazon in the west and the lands of Warner Brothers to the south. There he was bound by the power of Morgoth; and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again and set his power upon him, so that he could not move from that place, or die, until Morgoth should release him.

"Sit now there," said Morgoth,"and look out upon the intellectual property where evil and despair shall come upon those whom you have delivered to me. For you have dared to mock me, and have questioned the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes you shall see, and with my ears you shall hear, and nothing shall be hidden from you."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wait and see I guess. If it's good, then good. If it's bad, it can always be ignored. Unless it blows up like Game of Thrones, of course

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Why couldn't this be Silmarillion material?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The literary estate never sold the media rights .

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

More accurately, it can only draw from that Silmarillion material which also made its way into LotR. So Beren and Luthien maybe, but not like, Túrin pricking Saeros in the rear end.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

The literary estate never sold the media rights .

Yeah, from that press release it sounds like the Tolkien estate is directly involved here, which amazes me. Every other property has been licensed off of the film rights. If they have the Tolkien estate on board, this could be anything. Morgoth on ungoliant action.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lin-Manuel Mirana hired to compose Music of the Ainur; rumor is he's thinking of giving it a "hip-hop twist"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, from that press release it sounds like the Tolkien estate is directly involved here, which amazes me. Every other property has been licensed off of the film rights. If they have the Tolkien estate on board, this could be anything. Morgoth on ungoliant action.

Shadow of War becomes canon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I guess this could also be true, after all who’s going to sue them for using the Silmarillion if the estate dgaf. Lots of room for extrapolation.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
At least this won't be as bad as The Hobbit films.

And yes, give me some Ungoliant and Morgoth action, or Sauron returning to Mordor before LOTR begins.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

I guess this could also be true, after all who’s going to sue them for using the Silmarillion if the estate dgaf. Lots of room for extrapolation.

Guy Gavriel Kay tags in for the swerve!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

in a twist the show will be a dark comedy about two hapless orcs trying to organize things in mordor for the dark lords return

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HerraS posted:

in a twist the show will be a dark comedy about two hapless orcs trying to organize things in mordor for the dark lords return

Rozenlug and Guildenburz are Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rozenlug and Guildenburz are Dead

Waiting for Gothmog