Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh poo poo, Luminarks have explosive damage now? When did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And I know you're past it already, but the Greenskin incursions are your designated early-game enemy. Don't end them early, recruit some extra lords and farm the Greenskins for money, chivalry, and experience. A lot of factions benefit from early-game raids of their own territories but that feels incredibly un-Bretonnian, so they just gave you the incursions instead. Skaven especially. I'm basically perma-training two lords at a time by suppressing self-induced rebellions in a border province, but it works pretty well for Dark Elves, Greenskins, and to a lesser extent VC too. Other factions have an easier time with public order or don't get extra benefits from raiding like food, slaves, or fightiness. Bretonnia doesn't either, but they do get chivalry for winning fights. Not having supply line penalties also helps a hell of a lot for this, because you can get multiple lords into fighting shape at the same time, and unlike every other faction, if you want to field high-tier troops your Lord needs a basic level of competency.

But basically, the Bretonnian position and tech tree basically incentivizes you to solidify your borders from your most immediate threat (Marienburg, Mousillon, but not really Athel Loren) then go building a good stack to go off against whatever target you prefer. Roam around smiting foes and steadily bleeding troops until you can't sustain it anymore, then either disband the army and rebuild again at home to do it again, or sail back to recover. Your homelands are pretty safe (or were before ME), so go off fighting whoever you want. Also, minor pet peeve, but I think valiant defeats should earn you a good amount of chivalry to encourage you to try to punch above your weight, while victories that you're overwhelmingly favored to win should earn you less.

I really like how they handled Bretonnia and want to play them in ME as soon as grad school lets me. Anyone know if they added anti-Skaven techs to Bretonnia?

And, unrelatedly, how hard it'd be to randomly spawn Skaven factions in ruins that haven't been settled in awhile, kind of like how new Beastmen tribes keep popping up? I feel like the Empire campaign might benefit from that because they rely a little bit less on just burning out certain flanks, but also don't really get to play against Skaven at all and lorewise, they really should.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Any tips on Delves vs Helves matchup? I'm invading Ulthuan and having a blast, every battle is a slaughterhouse with lines of ranged units just mowing each other down while Seraphon literally explodes formations with corrosive breath, but it's making replenishment a bit of an issue (only have a weak baby black ark, conquered provinces aren't up to speed yet). On top of that my stupid sexy mom won't stop delivering chaos pizza rolls to Naggaroth and now everyone has the drizzly grey volcanic shits

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Any tips on Delves vs Helves matchup? I'm invading Ulthuan and having a blast, every battle is a slaughterhouse with lines of ranged units just mowing each other down while Seraphon literally explodes formations with corrosive breath, but it's making replenishment a bit of an issue (only have a weak baby black ark, conquered provinces aren't up to speed yet). On top of that my stupid sexy mom won't stop delivering chaos pizza rolls to Naggaroth and now everyone has the drizzly grey volcanic shits

if you beeline for the Shrine of Asuryan you can build a ludicrously good building there that essentially teabags any remaining elves

other than that, monsters are your friends, dark riders with shields are your friends.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How do the Bretonnian factions interact with the crusaders in araby? can they confederate, have diplomatic bonuses?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ravenfood posted:

Anyone know if they added anti-Skaven techs to Bretonnia?

They haven't yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How do the Bretonnian factions interact with the crusaders in araby? can they confederate, have diplomatic bonuses?

They're classified as Bretonnian Kingdoms so you should be able to confederate with them.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Fuligin posted:

All your infantry is decent against high elf missiles (silver shields or high armor) so you shouldn't take too much damage advancing on them. After that just send some dark riders after the archers since the AI generally doesn't protect their missile units.

Or just put 5 Reaper Bolt Throwers in the army with the red line and tech buffs and win the battle before the enemy arrives but that's a bit cheesy.

e; fighting them if they have a lot of lothern sea guards is like pulling teeth though. Witch elves are good if they don't take too much focus fire, harpies can lock them down and are dirt cheap.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 13, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They've been batshit crazy in my Bordeleaux campaign. Immediately declared war as soon as I discovered them then sued for peace 20 turns later.

Bretonnia in general plays very differently in ME. The Chivalry requirements are much higher, so it's a longer game no matter what. It's impossible to confederate unless the other guy is down to one settlement under seige and you're at +300 rating, so that whole side of the tech tree is basically worthless. Mousillon can get out of hand very quickly, so they usually need to get dealt with ASAP. The high elves will usually be down for a trade agreement if you throw them a little bribe, which goes a long way to keeping them from just randomly loving your poo poo up. Norsca will absolutely get out of hand if you don't deal with them; the dwarves will randomly grab a province from some random npc state, stubbornly refusing to let you own the province unless you go full on war with them; and the wood elves eventually hate you no matter what. The good news is that cavalry is bananas in autoresolve, and you can send a pretty early all-cav stack to norsca and watch it rampage over everything, and the free orc invasions to start are an excellent source of exp.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Something I'm finding extremely aggravating is when you are reliant on one port city for trade, lose it and rebuild it later and now all those factions no longer want to trade with you for bullshit reasons (you make more trade income than them, they got stronger in the meantime, etc).

It seems like if you set up a trade agreement very early on and build up a lot of industrial buildings you can make a lot of money via trade, but if you already have a lot of stuff to export immediately available they seem to balk.

And there are too goddamn many lovely bonuses to tariffs. +5% tariff income is nothing, you need like 20 trading partners for 100 turns to really notice a difference. I think the bonuses should be flat because that benefits you earlier on and makes a more noticeable difference.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
SFO has been updated and they reworked buildings and gave old worlds factions similar racial buffs to units comparable to Martial Prowess/Strength in Numbers/etc.

The building changes are interesting. Garrison buildings raise public order but reduce province income. Most recruitment buildings also reduce income so you have to decide whether you want a province to make money or recruit advanced units. It's more worthwhile to have more public order and growth buildings in your province now because they offer more diverse benefits.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

SFO has been updated and they reworked buildings and gave old worlds factions similar racial buffs to units comparable to Martial Prowess/Strength in Numbers/etc.

The building changes are interesting. Garrison buildings raise public order but reduce province income. Most recruitment buildings also reduce income so you have to decide whether you want a province to make money or recruit advanced units. It's more worthwhile to have more public order and growth buildings in your province now because they offer more diverse benefits.

SFO loves its racial buffs.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

If I have a large empire and, let's say, a certain part of it loses it's connection to my capital after the enemy take a connecting region between my capital and another area I still control, does that prevent me from collecting taxes or anything from the unconnected regions? I lost of ton of income after it happened to me and it's not immediately clear to me why it happened.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

sassassin posted:

SFO loves its racial buffs.

:golfclap:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The Bramble posted:

If I have a large empire and, let's say, a certain part of it loses it's connection to my capital after the enemy take a connecting region between my capital and another area I still control, does that prevent me from collecting taxes or anything from the unconnected regions? I lost of ton of income after it happened to me and it's not immediately clear to me why it happened.

It can affect trade routes. If you were trading with a lot of people and it gets disrupted your economy can drop by quite a lot from the lost trade income.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My rebooted Empire game has taken a grim loving turn: instead of Marienburg getting taken by either me or Bretonnia, it was instead captured by that hellishly powerful rogue army that combines Dark Elves and Chaos. It's only because they're focused on warring with Bretonnia and the Dwarf Karaks in the area that I've not been run over by that nightmare doomstack they use.

Granted, if I can kill the bastards, I can lock down Marienburg and that former Orc settlement, which will more or less let me sit pretty and fund my own doomstacks thanks to all the trade. Still, this has been one hell of a twist on the usual Empire game, and is completely my poo poo.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 13, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

EDIT ISN'T QUOTE, TOAST YOU loving IDIOT: I did it. I ganked Marienburg. But, God help me, the stack has dragons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I like how those Rogue armies consist of the most bullshit combinations of units across different races.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I like how those Rogue armies consist of the most bullshit combinations of units across different races.

Personally, I can't wait till modders find a way to let us play like them.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Stephen9001 posted:

Personally, I can't wait till modders find a way to let us play like them.

You mean just give you access to lots of units? It's not at all hard to do, just I don't think anyone cares to do it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
TBH I think I'd prefer it if Rogue Armies just had units from a specific faction instead of a mix, because I'd like them to be more of a vehicle for factions not present in an area to pop up and mix things up than "challenge" armies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I loving love the rogue armies and their mixed compositions. It's incredibly refreshing to fight

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

I loving love the rogue armies and their mixed compositions. It's incredibly refreshing to fight

I see you haven't fought beastcatchas when they've built up a head of steam.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Very stressful with the right mix and the apparent fact that they can instantly turn any settlement they capture into a walled settlement, though. Chaos + Dark Elves might be the toughest mix; you get killer AP ranged infantry covering for Chaos' heavy infantry and cavalry.

And yeah, when they can actually expand and put down roots? loving monstrous.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Two units of goblin wolf riders, a carnosaur and idk just fill the rest up with hydras.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

sassassin posted:

I see you haven't fought beastcatchas when they've built up a head of steam.

No army is worse than (wood) elves in terms of raw Suck.

The ones with a ton of dragons are a pain in the rear end but still more fun than (wood) elves

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Very stressful with the right mix and the apparent fact that they can instantly turn any settlement they capture into a walled settlement, though. Chaos + Dark Elves might be the toughest mix; you get killer AP ranged infantry covering for Chaos' heavy infantry and cavalry.

And yeah, when they can actually expand and put down roots? loving monstrous.

Sounds like it would be hilarious to have as an ally though.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

You guys are missing the point: rogue armies are CAs clapback against SFO racial purity Nazi theorycrafting. Rogue army dominance IS THE POINT: diverse societies are innately stronger because of that diversity.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The arab bretonnian kingdoms suck to deal with as Bret in ME. They seem prone to attacking you, you don't get diplomatic bonuses to them from your tech, and if you fight back against them you take nasty chivalry hits and negative traits on your guys.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo I think I may have stacked way too many difficulty mods: I got that Chaos/Dark Elf rogue army by Marienburg, bolstered by Mousillon, while the Von Carstein family is now pushing west and about to take down Nuln.

I am tempted to now install that artillery mod that takes advantage of the ammo select feature on High/Dark Elf artillery by giving Empire Great Cannons and Dwarf Cannons different kinds of ammo. They're what you would expect: canister and explosive shot, and a carcass shot for Mortars that inflicts poison (the author thinks carcass shot is poison for some reason). Apparently they're really overpowered as you might expect; but I might just take it if the pain train keeps rolling because I'll be damned if I miss out on how this campaign is shaping up to be.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 13, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every high elf faction has separate entries for every climate type what a loving headache to sort through for literally no worthwhile gameplay benefit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The only good empire army is Hellstorm MRLS, M1 steam tanks and long gunners supporting them so you can pretend to be fantasy NATO.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 13, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

Every high elf faction has separate entries for every climate type what a loving headache to sort through for literally no worthwhile gameplay benefit.

Stop trying to cheat then!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
PFM crashed and deleted 3 hours work.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So as far as the ME campaign goes, are any of the Warhammer 1 DLC races worth while? I've played the gently caress out of all of the original Warhammer 2 races. I'm torn between just waiting for a sale/patches and just saying gently caress it and buying all of the DLC

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

knob posted:

So as far as the ME campaign goes, are any of the Warhammer 1 DLC races worth while? I've played the gently caress out of all of the original Warhammer 2 races. I'm torn between just waiting for a sale/patches and just saying gently caress it and buying all of the DLC

Wood Elves are a different pace, I am enjoying it since it's a big change from Napoleonic line infantry or Vampires which are my favourites. They also have a nice starting position that gives you lots of options and home remains pretty safe as long as you build up a beastman defensive army using structures.

The best way I can describe their play style right now is shooty Skaven with lots of multirole troops. I really like the eagle rider dudes since they can pretty safely harass with bows and then their charge is brutal and armour piercing.

e: I hosed up for about 5 turns losing battles and having no money. They're a weird army and I can't see them ever being able to just brutally smash an enemy of similar strength without a lot of work on your part. Orion is squishy as gently caress, but that dog and arrow magic, wow.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 14, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no idea how people manage to play wood elves as anything other than conventional infantry line. They're amazing at it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

knob posted:

Buy one at a time when you want to play as that specific faction.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

It's pretty hideous in general on the backend. Adding a skill means adding an entry for every individual Lord/hero you want to access it. Immortality is like 150 separate, near identical lines.

Settlements are pretty reasonable at least.

Playing Durthu I basically just put him and the dryads into melee while making sure my archers had line of fire somewhere. Maybe drop a penumbral pendulum. Battles mostly won themselves at that stage. Got bored because I was basically playing an untouchable green horde without the income for a second stack. As Orion I got into a lovely standoff with parravon because I underrecruited t2 and he's not a siege attacker

Gitro fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 14, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sassassin posted:

I have no idea how people manage to play wood elves as anything other than conventional infantry line. They're amazing at it.

I don't know. Their line troops seem to fold up easily and I get a lot more joy playing them fast and loose along flanks or in split forces. I'm not using many tree dudes though, is that the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Welves have the flexibility to play any manner, they're seriously a dev wishlist army.