Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I bought it for ten bucks like 18 months after it came out if only for the cool VR mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am enjoying watching the rate at which people downvote this and also understand this isn't gonna change anything.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
EA has very smartly decided that its easy to squeeze an extra few hundred out of idiots than it is to make a good enough game to get 60 from a bigger player base

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

EA has very smartly decided that its easy to squeeze an extra few hundred out of idiots than it is to make a good enough game to get 60 from a bigger player base

Same but every game studio in about five years.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

people will pay through the loving nose for cosmetics, I dont' know why companies do unlockable content you have to pay for that gives you a clear advantage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Overwatch and League of Legends literally print money. That model obviously works. Honestly I think between Reddit and Facebook outrage it’ll definitely have a noticeable impact. I see them backpedaling a bit in some capacity but who knows.

I mean really with the last one I had so many very casual gamer friends that couldn’t care less about reading reviews/gaming forums/etc. Even they were like “wow this game is poo poo”

People posting it to Facebook “Hell yeah just got battlefront”

A day later

“This game loving sucks I’m trading it in”

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Overwatch is a really good game though...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

no its not

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

overwatch is mediocre. It fills the same niche as tf2 but isn't as fun.

tf2 was fun in a big constant brawl type of way and overwatch doesn't quite scratch it. I think overwatch would be better with more people and private servers instead of trying to make it ranked. I don't want to take a game like overwatch seriously.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Some people like OW some don’t, who cares. Point is they have a model that clearly works and seems to make most happy

Lol people in battlefront thread defending this poo poo

Also:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

people will pay through the loving nose for cosmetics, I dont' know why companies do unlockable content you have to pay for that gives you a clear advantage.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Overwatch and League of Legends literally print money.

Apparently, cosmetic loot boxes have earned Blizzard one billion dollars. That's not on top of initial sales of the game, that's just people throwing down money to get randomly generated skins and sprays and voice lines with a high chance of duplicates each time they pop their boxes open.

Also Overwatch was fun for a while until the devs started to really cater to the play 2 win pro gaming crowd that would shriek about the meta any time they got killed by what they felt was a low tier character. I ducked out when I saw a single Symmetra wipe teams out consistently as this was "working as intended".

Edit:

EA bought up Respawn, the studio that brought us Titanfall 2. :rip:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 13, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Some people like OW some don’t, who cares. Point is they have a model that clearly works and seems to make most happy

Lol people in battlefront thread defending this poo poo

Also:

what made tf2 fun was the community you got from private servers and playing with the same core group instead of competitive match making.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You'd think that just cosmetics being in whatever lootbox system is present in a game wouldn't be that big of a deal and yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLDid1UNyg8

Like, it's fair to say that the system in Overwatch has its issues and could be better implemented, but it's loving grating when people put that on the same level as EA's bullshit. Double so when he goes on to make the claim that Overwatch success is why EA is doing this. GTA V's cash cards are a far better example to point out.

And for the record, I really enjoy Overwatch, but I primarily play it with my friends and my fiance. If none of my IRL friends played, I'd have likely stopped playing it or not play it nearly as much. It's the one game that I've been continuously going back to play over the past 18 months after I finish everything else.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok now everyone circle jerk about how much you hate Overwatch because it’s too anime, how you played it while it was still cool, or about how it’s a good game still :allears:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I don't mind throwing a little bit of money at cosmetic loot boxes, or skins even, I bought some of the titanfall 2 skins when I was playing that a lot, and I've bought a handful of OW and HOTS loot boxes.
I'm still not sure if OW is a good game, I play it on occasion and have fun for a round or two, but more than that and I get angry or bored. I guess the fact that I'm still playing it a 2 years after launch says something though.

By the way, BLIZZ rebalanced most sets in D3 so the current season is pretty great for any character, worth jumping into it again if you haven't played in a while.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok now everyone circle jerk about how much you hate Overwatch because it’s too anime, how you played it while it was still cool, or about how it’s a good game still :allears:

I'm not circle jerking or anything I just think tf2/overwatch type games do better with community servers instead of a competitive ranked matchmaking system.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

TF2 was a Team Fortress game for casual scum. No conc grenades, and a piss poor CTF mode :sad:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not directed towards you it’s just when those three or so particular games are mentioned here not relevant to gameplay everyone comes from the woodwork to mention how they played the game once and it was absolute garbage then the rest to defend their honor, it’s tiring, almost as much as my poo poo posting

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Overwatch is the dark souls of fps team death match games

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

for what it is, its a good game.

its not mindblowing or anything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I enjoyed it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Alright, let me change the subject so we don't get too circlejerky in here.

Bloodborne sucks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Five of my friends all just got Nioh or japansouls or animesouls and they are all enjoying it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i buy enough fighting game costumes/stages/characters so im not one to talk about lootboxes

that being said im not buying anything for mvci

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Some games bad.... some games...good?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Some games bad.... some games...good?

Ban this sick filth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Halo Reach did it right imo. Use in game credits to buy new cosmetic poo poo, play space barbies.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
The only way loot boxes are ok is if it doesn’t affect gameplay. Cosmetics like TF2, OW, Dota, CSGO, etc. Once loot boxes start giving advantages it becomes detrimental. DLC is pretty scummy anyways with the horse armor and Destiny model of doing business.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Devs already release incomplete games and call the rest DLC so I am wholeheartedly predicting perpetual DLC every week that costs like $1 and includes competitive advantages and perks instead of $15 every 3-4 months.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bolow posted:

TF2 was a Team Fortress game for casual scum. No conc grenades, and a piss poor CTF mode :sad:

Remember the original concept art for TF2 back in the day? Happy they changed went the direction they did.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Remember the original concept art for TF2 back in the day? Happy they changed went the direction they did.

Yeah the original concept was bad, and I love the hell out of the actual presentation of TF2. But it just didn't grab me the same way QWTF and TFC did.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I noticed that BF1 was Origin Access, and thought I'd give it a go seeing as I sort of enjoyed BF4. Holy poo poo the amount of pathos in that opening sequence is hilarious, especially when the gameplay is so at odds with the whole "WE'RE MAKING A SERIOUS ANTI-WAR PIECE OF ART, GUYS! STOP LAUGHING!"-mentality that shines through every hackneyed attempt at commentary. War is hell, now look at all these explosions and loot boxes!

Just acknowledge that you're making a fun team shooter, and leave the social commentary to more proper mediums DICE.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
For some reason people were upset about it being a WWI game because it was "disrespectful" or some poo poo, unlike Battlefield 42, Vietnam, cops killing people one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Bloodborne sucks.

Darksouls is better

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Halo Reach did it right imo. Use in game credits to buy new cosmetic poo poo, play space barbies.

I get some of y’all really hate OW/blizzard but I mean that’s a clear contemporary model that obv works. Was Reach different in any way? I guess you don’t get credits like most games in OW as much as you “level” and such, then can buy poo poo with credits but the grind is pretty big

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Over There posted:

Check it out.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/b...s=1510608860671

So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players

🤔🤔

Just like Xbox one backpedaling for me, too little too late. I probably still won’t get it out of principle

Also:
https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKyrlDxkaHHhnp8DCrGp

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Darksouls is better

dark souls 2 is the best one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

i heard DS3 and especially its accompanying DLC was can you confirm?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its legit cool and good

they all are

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I got into ds3 more than demon souls- ds2

Bloodborne was decent too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

you gotta pick a side bro