Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Strobe posted:

Goon Hivemind: can you help me identify this sick as hell conversion?

It's part of a 'Nid lot I just bought second hand, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress it is.

It looks like somebody took a Haruspex and kept attaching more parts to it until it stopped making any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

a cock shaped fruit posted:

So, I impulse bought a Stompa I found on the shelf of a FLGS.

The guns are huge, and awesome

The feet too, are awesome:

The instructions tell you to glue the interior cavity closed, but when you have these two giant DOOR LIKE sections, why not hiiiiiiiiiiinge theeeeeeeeem

Excited to see it start to take shape:

So, when it was 'finished enough' I gave it a lick of yellow paint, and took it to my local games workshop. A mate and I agreed, 50 power level, my stompa Vs. whatever he wants.

he decided to rock up with Magnus the fuckin' RED and his sorcerer posse.

I was fucken' RED-Y TO GO

The skittles? Well, a stompa has 40 wounds (as many as four tens, and that's terrible) so I decided to put 40 skittles in a container and eat them as they were expended.

Plus, they conveniently store in aforementioned compartment:

The outcome? I shot the christ out of Magnus, then chopped him up - before his sorcerer mates smite'd me to death. Also, we both ate a lot of skittles.

I loving love this thing. Going to mod it some more, then get to painting it PROPPA!

Edit:

Modified the head to make it more orky - prepare to meet, MR ANGRY EYES

Is that head hollow too? If so, you need to use that cavity for Awesome, and run a couple red LEDS to those eyes and stash the battery pack in the body!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That head needs to hinge into a PEZ Dispenser for those wounds, tbqfh.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Bucnasti posted:

I think the body of that would fit inside the stompa body. You'd need to find something to replace the dome though.

This makes me want to make a Tom Servo themed stompa.

I ccould almost build a stompa entirely around it

Shockeh posted:

That head needs to hinge into a PEZ Dispenser for those wounds, tbqfh.

So I take damage, tilt the head back and vomit my wounds?

Sounds orky enough.

Liquid Communism posted:

Is that head hollow too? If so, you need to use that cavity for Awesome, and run a couple red LEDS to those eyes and stash the battery pack in the body!

Was actually tempted to gut an electric tea candle and put it in there:

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Have some close quarter Guard WIP.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Magnetised the head of my special yellow boy:

This is a great model man, good job. I vote against all the led/pez dispensing stuff, I think you should make a sort of half-decked interior with some grot riggers and/or a mek standing around on gantries. I've seen stompas before where he whole thing is like a walking diorama with walkways running all round it covered in crew. If you model an interior you can open up the hinged doors when you launch an assault and look at your little fungus warriors disembarking!

ToyotaThong posted:

Have some close quarter Guard WIP.

Very cool retro models mate. Are you going to use them as Crusaders? I have some inquisition types for that myself, they seem like a handy unit under the current rules.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

Very cool retro models mate. Are you going to use them as Crusaders? I have some inquisition types for that myself, they seem like a handy unit under the current rules.
Thanks!
Crusaders is exactly what I'll be using them for.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is a great model man, good job. I vote against all the led/pez dispensing stuff, I think you should make a sort of half-decked interior with some grot riggers and/or a mek standing around on gantries. I've seen stompas before where he whole thing is like a walking diorama with walkways running all round it covered in crew. If you model an interior you can open up the hinged doors when you launch an assault and look at your little fungus warriors disembarking!

Powered by grots running in a wheel.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Boon posted:

I'm not sure the gun itself is all that different, and even if it is, one different gun just adds a little variety.

What would it take to purchase and ship to MN?

Gun itself is pretty much the same. But 2nd edition doesnt have the left hand on the gun, they were part of the model, unlike 3rd and 4th. Anyway, PM me your address an I'll send you one and you can decide, I can swing by the post office this morning when I go downtown.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Great day of painting! I got like 5 hours in!

Looks awesome.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Beastmen are back in the Underhive! https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/13/coming-soon-beastman-underhive/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

PantsOptional posted:

Now that the codex is here, I have a rough working 1K list of Hive Fleet Snagglepuss. It's largely based on the gants and stealers I already have, the contents of the new box, and a couple of other units that I decided to add in. It was supposed to start as a Nidzilla list but turned more Midzilla when I realized I really dug the new box. I have no experience building Nids list so advice would be appreciated. My general plan is to hold the Raveners, Trygon, and I guess maybe the Termagants in reserve and then deep strike them as appropriate, although I've been considering just running a Trygon Prime and having the Warriors pop in with it instead of the gants.

++ Patrol Detachment (Tyranids) [56 PL, 1002pts] ++

Hive Fleet: Behemoth

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]: Monstrous Rending Claws, Power: Catalyst, Warlord Trait: Monstrous Hunger

+ Troops +

Genestealers [16 PL, 240pts]: 4x Acid Maw
. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws, 20x Scything Talons

Termagants [6 PL, 108pts]
. 9x Termagant (Devourer): 9x Devourer
. 9x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Tyranid Warriors [5 PL, 72pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Spinefists

+ Elites +

Hive Guard [7 PL, 144pts]
. Hive Guard: Impaler Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Raveners [4 PL, 72pts]
. Ravener: 2x Scything Talons, Spinefists

+ Heavy Support +

Trygon Prime [10 PL, 204pts]: Adrenal Glands, 3x Massive Scything Talons, Scythes of Tyran, Toxinspike

This got a bit buried, but I wanted to comment. If you're bringing this many Genestealers, the typical intent is to have them arrive with your Trygon, so they can skip the few turns of board-running to get right where they need to be. If you don't, they're going to be whittled down for a few turns before reaching combat. The problem being, is that this leaves your Warriors/'Gants in the lurch. Although this is a smallish point list, you will still want some backline support for holding objects and defense in case your opponent makes it to your side. What I would probably suggest would be to bulk up your Termagant unit a bit by dropping some of the Devourers for bodies and leaving them to sit in Synapse and capture points. 9 Devourers is still a good number of shots, but it's a very fragile unit that will likely get shot down before they reach range if your opponent knows what's good for them.

Something you could consider is using the Raveners as a vanguard for your Broodlord, as it will need a unit in front of it going forward to avoid fire. With a Trygon and 20 Genestealers at your enemy's frontline, I would think their guns would be occupied enough at close range that you'll make it where you want to go pretty unscathed. A 12" move matches 8"+1d6 pretty well, so they should keep up with one another.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:perfect:

Goatman Bounty Hunter owns.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Strobe posted:

Goon Hivemind: can you help me identify this sick as hell conversion?

It's part of a 'Nid lot I just bought second hand, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the gently caress it is.

It's an exocrine with a bunch of carnifex bits and greenstuff stuck all over it. It might have been a Heirodule conversion? It'd still be usable as an exocrine, anyway.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

PierreTheMime posted:

This got a bit buried, but I wanted to comment. If you're bringing this many Genestealers, the typical intent is to have them arrive with your Trygon, so they can skip the few turns of board-running to get right where they need to be. If you don't, they're going to be whittled down for a few turns before reaching combat. The problem being, is that this leaves your Warriors/'Gants in the lurch. Although this is a smallish point list, you will still want some backline support for holding objects and defense in case your opponent makes it to your side. What I would probably suggest would be to bulk up your Termagant unit a bit by dropping some of the Devourers for bodies and leaving them to sit in Synapse and capture points. 9 Devourers is still a good number of shots, but it's a very fragile unit that will likely get shot down before they reach range if your opponent knows what's good for them.

Something you could consider is using the Raveners as a vanguard for your Broodlord, as it will need a unit in front of it going forward to avoid fire. With a Trygon and 20 Genestealers at your enemy's frontline, I would think their guns would be occupied enough at close range that you'll make it where you want to go pretty unscathed. A 12" move matches 8"+1d6 pretty well, so they should keep up with one another.

This is all very good, thank you. When I initially made the list I thought to put the stealers in with the Trygon but I second-guessed myself and decided to slap them in with the Broodlord to take advantage of his buff, though of course that buff is no good if they can’t get stuck in.

Would you go with a Trygon Prime or a regular Trygon in this case?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

PantsOptional posted:

This is all very good, thank you. When I initially made the list I thought to put the stealers in with the Trygon but I second-guessed myself and decided to slap them in with the Broodlord to take advantage of his buff, though of course that buff is no good if they can’t get stuck in.

Would you go with a Trygon Prime or a regular Trygon in this case?

I tend to go Prime if you're bringing a horde unit. No morale checks can be pretty important as well as shutting down Psykers in your opponents ranks. For 29pts 6 S5 shots and Synapse isn't a terrible deal. If you need the points though the standard Trygon is fine.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Are Forge World Legion upgrade kits compatible with plastic marine models? For example if I wanted to buy the Alpha Legion upgrade set, would the heads/torsos/shoulders be compatible with the Chaos Marines in the start collecting box? Also would the Forge World heavy weapons bits (Ryza pattern Lascannons, Heavy Bolters, Autocannons, etc) also be compatible with marine bolter holding arms?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yep, they're all interchangable.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Just make sure you get the heavy weapons that are carried like a bolter and not the shoulder carried ones. They need their own set of arms.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Thanks for the feedback, definitely saves money getting the start collecting box rather than Mark IV Marines and the other stuff separately. Ryza pattern Lascannons and Mars pattern Heavy Bolters on forge world seem to be the right style, so hopefully they fit perfectly with bolter arms.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 13, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ro5s posted:

It's an exocrine with a bunch of carnifex bits and greenstuff stuck all over it. It might have been a Heirodule conversion? It'd still be usable as an exocrine, anyway.

This is the consensus I'm getting from it. It will probably end up warming the mantle, because the rest of the lot was still more than worth springing for.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Doing this Tyranid thing I guess.

My squiggly, wriggly boys.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I warms my chitinous heart to see so many people jumping into Tyranid. I probably should pick up a "Getting Started" kit myself to bulk up my Genestealers and get another Trygon, but I have so much left to paint still I need to hold off.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm actually kind of sad that those genestealers didn't come with 32mm bases. They could really use the breathing room.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
In all honesty if I could cheaply get my hands on a giant pile of the Overkill models I would replace all of them. They're more stable on the base (I've had plenty of Genestealers snap off their delicate toe-to-tendril mount before) and I like their hybrid old-school/new-school design. I imagine getting them in a large quantity would just be too pricey.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My 2k crimson fists force fought a mixed guard and admech force.

Cadian batt with pask (demolisher), 2 battle cannon russes, company commander, commissar, 4 infantry squads, Grand Strategist and Kurov's Aquila

Mars with dominus, techpriest, cybersmith, 3 plasma kataphrons, 1 ranger squad, 2 vanguard squads, 4 shooty kastellans

There were some big buildings on the field so he was able to hold his russes back and deploy them out of sight of my devastators. He won the roll to go first

Turn 1 didn't go too badly for me. Between the kastellans and battle cannons he killed 3 hellblasters, 3 intercessors, and put 4 wounds on my lascannon dread. Bottom of 1 I deep striked my inceptors into my reroll bubbles and wiped his kataphron squad for first blood, also killed the rangers, killed a few vanguard, put 4 wounds onto a kastellan with my devastators and put 4 wounds onto pask with my dread.

Turn 2 he practically wiped my center. His russes kill my inceptors and drop my dread to 1 wound. The kastellans went into hunker down mode and their shooting finishes off the hellblasters and intercessors that had lost some models, finishes the dread, and puts 7 wounds onto my relic contemptor thanks to their mortal wound stratagem. I used armor of contempt and failed all of them so the contemptor took 5 mortals. My turn my tac marines pile out of the razorback and wipe a guard squad with flamers + charge, razorback kills a bunch more guardsmen, I kill a kastellan with the devs and it blew up which wiped a vanguard squad, my contemptor and librarian make charges into them, but since the contemptor is degraded it was only able to put 1 chainfist wound onto it for 4 damage. My remaining hellblaster squad tried moving up to overcharge into the kastellans but 3 died from overheat and their invuln saves tanked all of it. Rolling assault plasma definitely hurt me here because I needed S8 shots.

Turn 3 he's basically just killing my leftovers. The russes kill my apothecary, lt, and try to kill Pedro but he's in cover and so keeps making 3+ saves against the battle cannons. He also wiped my 5 man tac squad with something, I think the plasma cannons and lascannon from pask's demolisher, he put the demolisher cannon into my apothecary. I'm basically just playing objectives at this point, keeping my backfield intercessors alive to see if I can pull a win out. He charges his datasmith and dominus into my contemptor, but contemptor had veil of time up so after the dominus goes he splatters the datasmith before it can fight. Contemptor, librarian, and kastellan thwack each other for a while but my dudes win out eventually since they just have guns. Another kastellan blows up, which kills his dominus and my librarian, but I clear them all out. My devastators moved around the building to get shots on his tanks and in total put 1 wound onto a russ which his techpriest quickly repaired.

Turn 4 my chimera gets killed, devastators all get killed. Intercessors are in the back trying to score points since I got some decent secure and defend cards, my hellblasters are hunkered down in his backfield out of LOS going for linebreaker. Pedro steadily kills guardsmen because there's just too much open ground between him and the russes (I had Psychological Warfare and Honor the Chapter, after 2 turns plinking at pask with dorn's arrow to try to do a point of damage for the objective point I give up and charge a guard squad, Kantor only manages to kill 3 and they put a wound back onto him and pass their morale check), he eventually gets taken out by a lascannon. Contemptor gets taken out by lascannons too.

In the end, he won on points 11-10 because he scored 5 points on priority orders card to defend an objective with his warlord that he was already on, he got the points on turn 7. Turn 5 it was 9-6 me so I would've won had it if it ended sooner. I had left 2 hellblasters and 5 intercessors, he had all 3 russes undamaged, 2 guard squads, commissar, techpriest, company commander. I played to the objective cards a lot better than him, he basically played to table me and came pretty close.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 13, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm actually kind of sad that those genestealers didn't come with 32mm bases. They could really use the breathing room.

Pretty sure they're still on slottabases. I'm still shocked that kit hasn't been updated yet. It's been like 8 years since we saw the modern CAD-designed 'stealers for Space Hulk.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

he basically played to table me and came pretty close.

This is the only way I play my pure AdMech, because holding or scoring objectives with them is a joke. Sounds like you had a pretty decent game aside from being shot to poo poo. I think objectives really help level the playing field.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah he had plenty of guard to score with, he just didn't really bother trying to. He scored points on stuff that he was going to get anyway (like killing 3 units in one shooting phase for d3 points) but seemed to think he would wipe me before points became relevant. It wasn't until turn 5 he started scrambling to get secure and defend stuff, which would've been a loss for him if it didn't go all the way to turn 7.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

I warms my chitinous heart to see so many people jumping into Tyranid. I probably should pick up a "Getting Started" kit myself to bulk up my Genestealers and get another Trygon, but I have so much left to paint still I need to hold off.

That sweet baby boy is probably my new favorite model because drat. I cannot wait to paint it.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

Look at all these posers jumping onto the bandwagon when the codex is good, heh. it's actually pretty cool

Meanwhile, I can't figure out what I want to field my four Carnifexes as:

Option 1 is to field them using the Screamer Killer profile with adrenal glands and basically take plasma potshots at enemy models while moving in. Hitting on 2s on the charge (if Old One Eye is near) with a reroll and an extra attack is great but S6 is kind of rear end against hard targets.

Option 2 is to run them as regular Carnifexes instead, and go for the adrenal glands/tusks option with crushing claws. This would let then hit on 3s at strength 12 with an extra attack(assuming Old One Eye is supporting). It's a little less expensive in points than the Screamer Killer option, but just barely.

tl;dr I have two options that seem like they're valid in their own rights (more reliable anti-MEQ/TEQ versus wounding vehicles on 3+) and it is severely confusing to my brain which is used to having one definitive option in a codex.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I'm going with the "drown them in tiny attacks" method, S6 all the way.

I just wrote up a 2k list to make use of my Skyblight (:rip:) Hive Tyrants. Starting the game with a small amount on the board (but too many to be tabled) and then striking from the safety of the skies/ground with five MCs and full brood of Genestealers, hopefully skipping/disrupting a good deal of first-turn shooting.

HQ:
4x Hive Tyrant
++Adrenal Glands
++Monstrous Rending Claws
++Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms
++Wings
Malanthrope

Troops:
3x 16x Termagant
2x 15x Termagant
20x Genestealers
++5x Acid Maws

Heavy Support:
2x Screamer-Killers
++Adrenal Glands
++Spore Cysts
Tervigon Prime
++Adrenal Glands
Toxicrene

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I plan on running OOE with some Thornbacks so they can shoot on the way, then hit for d3 Mortal Wounds on the charge. Going with Kraken lets them keep doing it every turn :getin:

I found two right-hand boneswords in a bits pile, so needed to kitbash some left-handed ones out of Scything Talons from the Warrior and Genestealer sprues. I'll probably post pics with my completed Genestealer Aberrants later today.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Soulfucker posted:

Look at all these posers jumping onto the bandwagon when the codex is good, heh. it's actually pretty cool

Meanwhile, I can't figure out what I want to field my four Carnifexes as:

Option 1 is to field them using the Screamer Killer profile with adrenal glands and basically take plasma potshots at enemy models while moving in. Hitting on 2s on the charge (if Old One Eye is near) with a reroll and an extra attack is great but S6 is kind of rear end against hard targets.

Option 2 is to run them as regular Carnifexes instead, and go for the adrenal glands/tusks option with crushing claws. This would let then hit on 3s at strength 12 with an extra attack(assuming Old One Eye is supporting). It's a little less expensive in points than the Screamer Killer option, but just barely.

tl;dr I have two options that seem like they're valid in their own rights (more reliable anti-MEQ/TEQ versus wounding vehicles on 3+) and it is severely confusing to my brain which is used to having one definitive option in a codex.

Seconding regular carnifexes, you can still spend a CP to get rerolls to wound and with tusks and two sets that's 6 attacks hitting on 2's with OOE rerolling 1's and then full rerolls for a turn for the price of 105 points. (Counting the near mandatory spore cysts) plus you still have OOE there to hit on 2's with his crushing claws if he charges.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So in 8th edition here, what is the value of the first turn?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
infinite

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Positioning, long-range damage to neutralize targets, getting defense powers activated, taking objectives, assaults. Pretty much everything, yeah. If you plan to go second you can really minimize its impact but it’s a definite advantage.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Boon posted:

So in 8th edition here, what is the value of the first turn?

I've heard maybe apocryphal reports of like a 30-40% first turn advantage. Heavy use of LoS blocking terrain can ameliorate this but the lack of meaningful cover systems has kinda messed things up.

For the record, Chess has like a ~10% first turn advantage and that's a game with alternating activations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How much would requiring a Detachment to be totally full before another one can be chosen from the same codex help the 8th Edition scene. Getting an 2000 point list in one detachment is pretty easy. I worry when I see lists that are a hyper optimised blend of three different Space Marine Chapters (or currently Hive Fleets) that all the good things from 8th will be overshadowed by becoming even more toxic than the worst excesses of 7th.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the detachment system as you can build great fluffy armies and doing allies has never been easier. Perfect for a cool narrative or whatever. But as a baseline of play three perfectly optimised detachment at minimum size with max broken things is a bad abyss to stare into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So if all you have is the second starter box with the Broodlord, Genestealers, and Trygon, you can't deploy the Genestealers via Subterranean Assault, can you? Doesn't that break the rules for how much of your total force can be in reserves?