Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LOL Hannity still not talking about Moore. Attacking Media Matters and still doing Keurig damage control.

e: I doubt he'll touch it the first hour at all. He needs the top of the hour news break to be told how to respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I think they would. For starters, I'd think the newly-elected Senator from Alabama, along with a couple of Heitkamp, Tester, McCaskill, and/or Manchin would be on board. Once it becomes clear that its going to pass, I think several other Dems would choose not to be on the record for temporary middle class tax cuts.

you're assuming conservatives tolerate this, which is...iffy

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

It worked so well for health care reform, right?

This is not Obamacare repeal. I don't think the Dems will ever go for millionaire tax cuts, but tax cuts for the middle class just makes the system more progressive. We can make up for the budget shortfall after 2020 by increasing taxes on rich people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

you're assuming conservatives tolerate this, which is...iffy

Their alternative in my hypothetical is wasting both their 2017 and 2018 reconciliation bills, accomplishing absolutely nothing, and facing the voters in Nov 2018, who despise Trump, with nothing to show for total control of government.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

ReidRansom posted:

LOL Hannity still not talking about Moore. Attacking Media Matters and still doing Keurig damage control.

e: I doubt he'll touch it the first hour at all. He needs the top of the hour news break to be told how to respond.

He's saying he needs more facts. Comparing this to Clarence Thomas. It was a "high tech lynching". :barf:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
There are so many worse problems with this quote, but I have to say that if a guy is going around stealing lawnmowers at 21, I probably don't want him becoming a Judge.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Robot Hobo posted:

There are so many worse problems with this quote, but I have to say that if a guy is going around stealing lawnmowers at 21, I probably don't want him becoming a Judge.

let me explain something to you about the state of alabama,

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rigel posted:

I think they would. For starters, I'd think the newly-elected Senator from Alabama, along with a couple of Heitkamp, Tester, McCaskill, and/or Manchin would be on board. Once it becomes clear that its going to pass, I think several other Dems would choose not to be on the record opposing temporary middle class tax cuts.

How does that pass the house

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

He also kept saying that Moore's crime would be a "misdemeanor", which might be legally accurate, but doesn't make it any less offensive.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Sean Hannity should be coffeeboarded.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

He also kept saying that Moore's crime would be a "misdemeanor", which might be legally accurate, but doesn't make it any less offensive.

if you do it just the once it could be a misdemeanor, but it becomes a felony if you do any sex crime within a year of the original offence

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

I think they would. For starters, I'd think the newly-elected Senator from Alabama, along with a couple of Heitkamp, Tester, McCaskill, and/or Manchin would be on board. Once it becomes clear that its going to pass, I think several other Dems would choose not to be on the record opposing temporary middle class tax cuts.

doubt it, not without those concessions

the temporary tax cuts for the non-rich aren't worth poo poo

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Robot Hobo posted:

Only in America would a 21 year old meth head stealing lawnmowers out of peoples’ yards to support his habit be considered a fine young man fit for public service.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

I think they would. For starters, I'd think the newly-elected Senator from Alabama, along with a couple of Heitkamp, Tester, McCaskill, and/or Manchin would be on board. Once it becomes clear that its going to pass, I think several other Dems would choose not to be on the record for temporary middle class tax cuts.

You're missing the key reason why Republicans are pushing tax cuts. Their donor class is demanding tax cuts for the hyper wealthy. The Republicans will never put up some sort of "middle class tax cut only" bill because their donors are already about to cut off the funds.

Any tax bill they'll be pushing will have to cut taxes on the wealthy and a lot, in addition to any middle class tax cut to paper over the true purpose. So either those tax cuts will be offset by raising taxes on the poor or spending cuts which Democrats will oppose or it will be a 60 vote threshold and Democrats won't break rank if they can deny the victory.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How does that pass the house

Thats a fair question.

I do think though that if the Senate says this is all we can do, then conservatives are faced with the choice of "cut taxes for the middle class and try to run on that, or have no answer to voters who currently hate you?"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No one is going to vote for the Democrat because of a middle class tax cut Trump signed into law while Republicans control the Senate and the House.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

You're missing the key reason why Republicans are pushing tax cuts. Their donor class is demanding tax cuts for the hyper wealthy. The Republicans will never put up some sort of "middle class tax cut only" bill because their donors are already about to cut off the funds.

Any tax bill they'll be pushing will have to cut taxes on the wealthy and a lot, in addition to any middle class tax cut to paper over the true purpose. So either those tax cuts will be offset by raising taxes on the poor or spending cuts which Democrats will oppose or it will be a 60 vote threshold and Democrats won't break rank if they can deny the victory.

In my hypothetical, millionaire tax cuts are publicly, obviously, and utterly dead in the current congress.

If that becomes true, what then? I started thinking about this after it became clear that Jones could actually win, and given that Corker is a hard no.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

No one is going to vote for the Democrat because of a middle class tax cut Trump signed into law while Republicans control the Senate and the House.

Hi I'm middle class, and from everything I can tell my taxes are going up under both house and senate bills. Why are people calling this a tax cut for the middle class?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Will, Jen Rubin, and Mike Gerson have all changed their tune since the Trumpening. Ed Rogers and Marc Thiessen are still poo poo.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I mean yeah if the GOP believed its own bullshit they would just cut taxes on the middle class, get some credit for doing that and then call it a day. But they can't do that because (as they are now explicitly saying) their wealthy donors will only be satisfied by a huge tax cut for the wealthy and corporations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hi I'm middle class, and from everything I can tell my taxes are going up under both house and senate bills. Why are people calling this a tax cut for the middle class?

Because Republicans lie and all their bills do the opposite of whatever they claim about them.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

He's saying he needs more facts. Comparing this to Clarence Thomas. It was a "high tech lynching". :barf:

Yeah, sure, the guy pushing Seth Rich conspiracy theories a few months ago now “needs more facts” when it comes to Roy Moore. What a loving piece of poo poo.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

if you do it just the once it could be a misdemeanor, but it becomes a felony if you do any sex crime within a year of the original offence

You seem to know a lot about this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Cotton buying and eating sheet cakes is nothing ne-what the gently caress is this about 100 soup cans and Z-killer? This sounds like one of the rituals he needs to do to remain in our dimension.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If you have voters who will believe anything you say if you say it enough times and disbelieve anything to the contrary, you would take advantage of this too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

You seem to know a lot about this.

yeah turns out i looked up the specific crimes moore could be charged with when the story broke. sorry if quickly googling something seems suspicious to you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

In my hypothetical, millionaire tax cuts are publicly, obviously, and utterly dead in the current congress.

If that becomes true, what then? I started thinking about this after it became clear that Jones could actually win, and given that Corker is a hard no.

Millionaire tax cuts will only be dead when Republicans lose control of a chamber of congress. Until then it is a higher political priority for Republicans than anything else.

gently caress they're attacking the individual mandate as part the tax bill, even repeal isn't dead.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We're discussing a theoretical "temporary middle class tax cut" bill that the Republicans would use to claim they did something.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't like seeing those human interest facts like Cotton eating birthday cake for every meal because it humanizes them. I have to admit I laughed a lot when Ted Cruz acknowledged that he looked like Grayson Allen and for a few seconds warmed up to the man (Cruz, not Allen gently caress that rear end in a top hat)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We aren't, I think you are confused.

The hypothetical is this: Jones wins and Corker is a hard no, putting the GOP at 50. Say they lose another Senator for the millionaire tax cuts which is not at all a stretch, and lets say that the current tax plan and anything similar to it is publicly, obviously, and thoroughly dead. What then?

I'm arguing that McConnell will start setting up meetings with Democrats to see what they might agree to, and I think if he works with vulnerable red state democrats, he might get a deal on a small package of temporary middle class tax cuts.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

ought ten posted:

loving heartbreaking thinking that what Moore told her ("no one will believe you") is still going to come true now.

People who aren't Republicans are still people, dude.

Yeah gently caress the election, string him up right the gently caress now. :argh:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

So which branch of the service do I need to sign up for in order to defend the borders of Georgia from Senator Moore and his band of racist child mollestors?

I will personally be on the front lines of the border ensuring his twice-disbarred white supremacist rapist-rear end doesn’t make it within 5 feet of the Alabama border. :getin:

First civil war: no other war will be fought over something so obviously terrible.
Second civil war: hold my teen vogue

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Alter Ego posted:

It's akin to the argument that every Democrat that has taken part in a Presidential debate has faced--the vast majority of Democratic candidates in the last 20-30 years have been smarter and savvier than their Republican opponents, so the argument is made that they have to avoid looking arrogant and condescending.

The solution? Be arrogant and condescending. They expect it anyway; might as well go whole hog and curbstomp them on stage.

democrats should stand up for themselves. call out republican on their lies and fake facts

but we should not stoop to their level. we are winning the hearts and minds of the voters by being the party of morals, decorum, respect, love

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 13, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/930178385376096256

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Rigel posted:

I'm arguing that McConnell will start setting up meetings with Democrats to see what they might agree to, and I think if he works with vulnerable red state democrats, he might get a deal on a small package of temporary middle class tax cuts.

The problem I see with this scenario is that actual middle class tax cuts are not what the GOP is pushing for and none of those vulnerable Democrats are going to be able to count on their base if they accept anything remotely close to what enough of the GOP would find to be acceptable.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Donald probably thinks this is a honeypot to get him to comment on something and have one of the hundreds of teenagers he was inappropriate with and say "GOTCHA"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the "middle class tax cut"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

first civil war started when southern states wanted to keep their slaves

watch the second one start because one southern state wants to sit a pedophile in the senate

i notice a patternnnnn

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

We aren't, I think you are confused.

The hypothetical is this: Jones wins and Corker is a hard no, putting the GOP at 50. Say they lose another Senator for the millionaire tax cuts which is not at all a stretch, and lets say that the current tax plan and anything similar to it is publicly, obviously, and thoroughly dead. What then?

Yeah I just don't buy that McConnell would change up his playbook. When the same thing happened to Obamacare repeal what did he do? He just tried to repeal Obamacare again. Red state Democrats are working with Republicans on a bipartisan obamacare fix and what does McConnell do? He orders the talks shut down.

Remember the donors are freaking out about tax cuts for billionaires. Like threatening to not spend $1 in 2018 and refusing to cut new checks until they see tax cuts. Why would Republicans care about voters all of a sudden? They can always use the right-wing media to convince the voters that the tax cut on billionaires is really helping them, but the donors have a better understanding of tax law.

Also I don't think you could enough Democrats to vote for temporary middle class tax cuts to offset conservative senators who'd vote no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

No Butt Stuff posted:

Donald probably thinks this is a honeypot to get him to comment on something and have one of the hundreds of teenagers he was inappropriate with and say "GOTCHA"

Little Beverley Nelson regrets seducing Judge Roy when 16 and is making bad accusations. Sad!

• Locked thread