Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

i
is anyone else playing tengai makyou zero
Literally nobody in the entire world is but I'm glad you're having fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

It's really weird to make snide shitposty attacks because someone didn't like a video game. We're all human beings here we can just talk about what we do and don't like

You make weird snide shityposty attacks about people's feelings on video games all the time and in particular seem to take a lot of pleasure in making reductive and intentionally inflammatory statements about popular things just to draw attention. This is a pretty weird thing to post as if you're just looking to have a conversation.

GulagDolls posted:

if its similar to a childrens cartoon then ppl should probably stop writing several thousand paragraphs analyzing it

Children's cartoons actually have a fair bit to analyze if you're going in that direction. Often attempts to have simple morality or overt and obvious themes can lead to them saying things both intentional and unintentional that more nuanced works can't or won't really say. It also can lead to a lot of tedious nonsense but so is all media analysis ever. Taking it SUPER SERIOUSLY and acting like you're king poo poo of brain mountain because you went "well, why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?" is one thing but it's fine to look at something aimed at children and consider the message it's sending.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yes i admit im just salty cause people talk about undertale all the time but nobody EVER wants to talk about the true nature of 'freedan' in illusion of gaia with me

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah give us a trip report please. Tengai Makyou is a series I’ve always been curious about but never enough to actually play.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

I mean he just said he thought it was hamfisted. And undertale is clearly, super obviously, trying to be a metathing about game design and fandom. That isn't overanalysis the game literally tells you this. So like, why can't you criticize its methods of exploring those themes?

And even if it was just about being friends with monsters that doesn't somehow immunize it to ever bring criticized or thought about. The dude making the game clearly put a lot of thought and effort in, why is it bad for people playing the game to sit down and think about it? Because you don't want them to? That's weird, man. Thinking about and analyzing art is fun, engaging, and allows you to appreciate things more. It's one thing if someone is actually super mad or super weird about it but just giving your thoughts on something is, like, normal.

they got really mad

if I'm not allowed to make fun of people who gets really mad at videogame writing, especially undertale, which is basically a feels-good game aimed at kids and teenagers then what the hell am I supposed to do

Like I'm sure corn in the bible probably don't even care, I don't know why you're so heated up at a jest

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

yes i admit im just salty cause people talk about undertale all the time but nobody EVER wants to talk about the true nature of 'freedan' in illusion of gaia with me

*kicks in door* I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE PSYCHO FLARE POWER UP WAS OVERRATED

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Every post I've made about chrono trigger is 100 percent sincere and ive explained my feelings on it multiple times?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I was a child I always thought you could find a way to exit a dungeon as Freedan and I was so bummed out when the game just made you auto-revert to Will at the exit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

if I'm not allowed to make fun of people who gets really mad at videogame writing, especially undertale, which is basically a feels-good game aimed at kids and teenagers then what the hell am I supposed to do

Like I'm sure corn in the bible probably don't even care, I don't know why you're so heated up at a jest
Iunno I just care a lot about art and it sucks to have people mock you for caring about it enough to criticize it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

When I was a child I always thought you could find a way to exit a dungeon as Freedan and I was so bummed out when the game just made you auto-revert to Will at the exit.
This is a message about uhhhhhhhh 'free' 'will'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

I replayed this a week or so ago and completely forgot about Freedan's Aura Barrier

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Getsuya posted:

Yeah give us a trip report please. Tengai Makyou is a series I’ve always been curious about but never enough to actually play.

Same. I always got the vague impression that they were mostly DQ clones with over the top wacky characters but I'm guessing there's probably a lot more to them than that.

I've only played the fighting game which is essentially a Sam Sho clone :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
"I get really mad at hamfistedness in a children game" isn't hard-hitting criticisms.

it's weird because you can't stop yourself from making GBS threads on people that likes FEH and other crap but oooh, it's okay if it's a game that you dislike.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

*kicks in door* I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE PSYCHO FLARE POWER UP WAS OVERRATED

That's because it is, it's completely nuts. But you also don't get to use it for a particularly large portion of the game either, and once you get Shadow nothing else matters.

Also IIRC depends on if you're grabbing all the red jewels or not, I think that gives you access to some stuff earlier than normal?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

"I get really mad at hamfistedness in a children game" isn't hard-hitting criticisms.

it's weird because you can't stop yourself on people that likes FEH and other crap but oooh, it's okay if it's a game that you dislike.
Uhhhh I like undertale okay?

And it's not like I havent explained multiple times why I'm not big on feh's game design. And I play the thing sometimes, I don't hate it.

And like, undertale got popular with kids but I don't think the game filled with references to 90s jrpgs and with a bunch of pretty messed up imagery and concepts was meant for kids in the first place. It fills like it was meant to be aimed at 20-somethings who like earthbound and it just happened to be popular with we audience way beyond that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's because it is, it's completely nuts. But you also don't get to use it for a particularly large portion of the game either, and once you get Shadow nothing else matters.

oh yeah sure shadow, ultimate being, etc etc, what can they do again

"i can melt"

can you shoot hadokens out of your sword

"no but"

geddafuckouttahere

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hey look some RPG news
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/13/english-version-chinese-paladin-sword-fairy-6-release-november-15/

Can someone who knows Chinese tell us if Chinese Paladin Sword Fairy 6 is a game worth getting hyped for?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/13/english-version-chinese-paladin-sword-fairy-6-release-november-15/

Can someone who knows Chinese tell us if Chinese Paladin Sword Fairy 6 is a game worth getting hyped for?
A lot of these random Chinese jrpgs are kinda fun, but I'm speaking based off a couple of psx ones.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some people just post like a Kotaku article and start off with 3 words, followed by the actual meaning behind it an hour later

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GulagDolls posted:

That's because everyone knows that he's a manifestation of Will's homosexual desires for Lance.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah sure shadow, ultimate being, etc etc, what can they do again

It's that once you get Shadow (at the Pyramid), there's no content that uses Freedan anymore. Shadow takes over completely for the last two dungeons of the game and is the only thing you use (other than like two spots where you need the spin dash), whether you like the thing or not.

Game always felt really weird to me because of that, but I guess you get to use Freedan for like 60% of the game so it's not like you don't get enough use out of him.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

yes. on the other side it seems like everyone playing the game for the first time is really surprised you can fight the vampires as freedan

I can't remember if there's a line that implies that will's friends are even aware that sometimes he transforms into a big knight guy

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mariko Ōhara (大原まり子 Ōhara Mariko, born March 20, 1959 in Osaka, Japan) is a Japanese science fiction writer. In her teens, she wrote Kirk/Spock fan fiction.

freedan's name does sound like someone just combined two names for a fanfic pairing

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Actually now that I think about it a little and I've mentioned shock value, I'd forgotten Nep's Conquest ending. I recall the jarring tonal shift of "mediocre fanservicey parody game" to "literal child murder" kinda surprised/pissed people.
I wonder what the thought process that led to adding that was?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

GulagDolls posted:

Mariko Ōhara (大原まり子 Ōhara Mariko, born March 20, 1959 in Osaka, Japan) is a Japanese science fiction writer. In her teens, she wrote Kirk/Spock fan fiction.

Wow, that is some generic taste.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

Actually now that I think about it a little and I've mentioned shock value, I'd forgotten Nep's Conquest ending. I recall the jarring tonal shift of "mediocre fanservicey parody game" to "literal child murder" kinda surprised/pissed people.
I wonder what the thought process that led to adding that was?
Some of the earlier nep games do kinda deal with heavy themes, the first game is almost entirely about how mothers can abuse their daughters and the social pressure to forgive them, it's just buried beneath 50000 video game jokes and not written that well to begin with

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

yes. on the other side it seems like everyone playing the game for the first time is really surprised you can fight the vampires as freedan

I can't remember if there's a line that implies that will's friends are even aware that sometimes he transforms into a big knight guy

I think Eric promises not to tell anyone if you finish the vampires battle as Freedan, but it's been a while and the game's translation was dodgy to begin with.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For some reason Chinese Paladin just reminds me of Paladin's Quest, which had a lot of neat ideas and a neat aesthetic that really deserved to be tacked onto a better game.

Also what was the last decent ARPG in the vein of Secret of Mana/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason Chinese Paladin just reminds me of Paladin's Quest, which had a lot of neat ideas and a neat aesthetic that really deserved to be tacked onto a better game.

Also what was the last decent ARPG in the vein of Secret of Mana/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma?

Top-down arpg? Did you already play YS origin?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GrandpaPants posted:

Alundra

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oxxidation posted:

I think Eric promises not to tell anyone if you finish the vampires battle as Freedan, but it's been a while and the game's translation was dodgy to begin with.

I mean they all know he has telekinesis and one of their friends can turn into a dandelion (and Seth is fishfood), so it's not that unusual, really.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

It's a good series, generally. Pretty well respected in China, and the first one has a fan translation. Nobody knows much about 6, though, of course, and the translation SOFTSTAR did for Gate of Firmament was incredibly shoddy so I guess I'd say we should wait and see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0RBDr3DgU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I hope rather than a sequel XBX gets a directors cut that changes the game flow, adds in the story/lore that was pretty obviously cut (like wtf was up with those shadow creatures and the telethia) and adds a post game that explores what happens after that post credits cliffhanger twist. I absolutely love the gameplay, setting and the exploration but the story and how the missions played out were half-baked at best.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I want a plot that focuses more on the planet. The main draw of XBX for me is exploring the planet, throughout the game there are various hints that Mira is a weird planet that you can't actually escape from and that it interacts in weird ways with anyone on it. A plot about figuring out the mystery of planet would go hand in hand with my main draw.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

Every post I've made about chrono trigger is 100 percent sincere and ive explained my feelings on it multiple times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lEelz0iUJo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any rpgs with a plot similar to the tactics ogre law route?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any rpgs with a plot similar to the tactics ogre law route?

Suikoden 5 has you do some pretty shady stuff for the greater good, if that’s the aspect you’re talking about.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'd also like to hear more about Tengai Makyou Zero. I'm interested.

Getsuya posted:

I tried to play the first game in this series a while back but I was stymied by the sub-comprehensible fan translation and really labyrinthine dungeons. It was fairly basic, but I appreciated that it was trying to tell specifically a love story, and wuxia is an underused setting in video games. It was very pretty for its age.

However, my understanding is that its sequels diverge considerably.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm thinking mostly of the bit where after chapter 1 you're asked to slaughter a town of innocent people and if you say yes the game says "ok, what does a story about the person who decided to do this look like"

Without knowing specifics of "shady poo poo" I guess it's hard to know if that describes what I'm thinking of? Tactics ogre law route has a pretty overt theme of "I've done some unquestionably awful things, but I am creating a better world by being the one willing to soak my hands in blood" and I thought that was really cool. Law denam is arguably not an evil person but he's certainly done and continues to do evil deeds and the relatives of those he's murdered keep showing up to remind him of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you should play der langrisser