Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Lawrence Stoll should buy a controlling stake in Ferrari and put somebody actually good and deserving in Kimi's seat. As in, Lance Stroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:thermidor:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Theophany posted:

I trust my man 1500quid more than any goddamn sommelier.

I suppose you're right. Wine is just grape juice that enzo left in the fridge too long anyway.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wine is one of those things that is held up as this high class poo poo by virtue of the fact that some posh fuckos know way too much about it and people are far too self conscious to make a value judgement on something on their own. I'm liberating wine for the people.

Theophany posted:

I've been spooked as gently caress over the last few days to close all my Cryptocurrency CFD positions because the market is being completely retarded. Then I get the enjoyable lack of self-awareness of going to actual work and pretending that somehow rising markets, rising inflation and stupidly low interest rates are somehow rational.

The only thing I buy is index funds for retirement lol. I can't be bothered with the stress of investing and the whole bitcoin thing seems stupidly hosed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like a lot of cheap wines but in my experience you really need to spend a decent amount on champagne if you want anything that doesn't taste like poo poo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Wine is one of those things that is held up as this high class poo poo by virtue of the fact that some posh fuckos know way too much about it and people are far too self conscious to make a value judgement on something on their own. I'm liberating wine for the people.

The only thing I buy is index funds for retirement lol. I can't be bothered with the stress of investing and the whole bitcoin thing seems stupidly hosed.

I have a personal vendetta against Vanguard, not helped by the fact that the active asset manager I work for based in the same state has outperformed them in a rising market, net of fees. The CFDs are just a bit of day trading fun, but it's gotten way out of hand this week.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Martini has a half decent low priced sparkling wine but it's only like 9%. I'm not a big fan of champagne to begin with so it's never really bothered me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I usually get a Moet and Chandon Rose Imperial. You can get it for about $40 if you shop around. Moet Grand Vintage (depending on the year it can be better than their Dom Perignon) or Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque if I really want to impress someone (usually when I return to my folks' home for New Years, in a "look I can buy you expensive wine so I'm not a total failure at my job" kind of thing)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 13, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

I have a personal vendetta against Vanguard, not helped by the fact that the active asset manager I work for based in the same state has outperformed them in a rising market, net of fees. The CFDs are just a bit of day trading fun, but it's gotten way out of hand this week.

How do you pick a position on derivative trading on bitcoins lol. Do you just roll a dice?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Is it wrong that I wish she'd lose it all but the cameras keep rolling so we'd get to see her trying to figure out life without 50 loving staff members catering to her every need?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ilmucche posted:

This is coming from a man who dumpster dives for his tyres and reviews 8 Canadian dollar bottles of wine.

Listen to this man. Except about wine.

I want to mail 1500quid random poo poo to review

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The only things I know about wine is that the really good stuff is to be found in the vineyard shop at a fraction of the price you will find it at anywhere else, and that there is better wine being made by a random French farmer in a bucket, selling at a euro a bottle, than there is available in any British supermarket.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also if you buy VP cognac then you are the fuckin’ problem. If people stopped buying it then it would be turned into the vinegar that it deserves to be.

VP is the 2 year old stuff they know will turn out to be poo poo after aging. VSOP is 4 years old and acceptable, but XO which has been aged for 6 years is what you want.

Because of the way French certification works, a off brand no name VSOP being sold for 50p will be nicer than a exclusive VP being sold at £50

:colbert:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bourbon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apparently bourbon is the best gift to give a German guy because the Germans love "old west" americana poo poo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Bourbon is trash.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Apparently bourbon is the best gift to give a German guy because the Germans love "objectively the best alcohol” poo poo

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Jack Daniel's is ok, but not bourbon depending who you ask.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Bourbon is trash.

Go back to Purdue you bitch

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

Go back to Purdue you bitch

Gross.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

George Dickel is the best cheapo whiskey in the US imo (and like Jack, it's a Tennessee whiskey, not a bourbon)

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Also if you buy VP cognac then you are the fuckin’ problem. If people stopped buying it then it would be turned into the vinegar that it deserves to be.

VP is the 2 year old stuff they know will turn out to be poo poo after aging. VSOP is 4 years old and acceptable, but XO which has been aged for 6 years is what you want.

Because of the way French certification works, a off brand no name VSOP being sold for 50p will be nicer than a exclusive VP being sold at £50

:colbert:

Who the gently caress drinks brandy.. single barrel, single malt is where the real drink is

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Minto Took posted:

I hate the flavor oak barrels imparts onto alcohol. I've got like a ten year old bottle of JD still 75% full in my freezer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

djssniper posted:

Who the gently caress drinks brandy.. single barrel, single malt is where the real drink is

Aberlour A'bunadh..... phowar

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've read TN whiskey is technically bourbon, but charcoal filter is what makes it TN whiskey.

And I take back my bourbon statement. Maker's Mark is quite enjoyable.

Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek are poo poo.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I've nearly died like 3 times because of cheap Bourbon so everytime I smell it I gag and remember the times I about died.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wisconsin fukken loves brandy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Good poo poo imo. Best whiskey that you can get for $20 at most stores.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Single Malt or get out

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dickel.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Blanton‘s is incredibly my poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also was like the only person at my liquor store who actually bought Johnnie Walker Green which I love (isn't it discontinued?)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm sad I can't enjoy Johnnie Walker anymore. He and I had a really bad fight after a physics exam way back when.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

Wisconsin fukken loves brandy.

We even make Manhattans with it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Blanton‘s is incredibly my poo poo

Blanton‘s is great, I’m never really sure if it’s worth it tho. So much cheap bourbon is good. Old Grand Dad is my cheap bourbon of choice.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Blanton‘s is great, I’m never really sure if it’s worth it tho. So much cheap bourbon is good. Old Grand Dad is my cheap bourbon of choice.

Now that it is hard to find these days, I'd say the price is relatively worth it. I really dig the High West whiskeys and bourbons. That said, I'm with you - there are really a ton of good cheap bourbons now compared to a few years ago.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Getting a decent bourbon in the UK is a right bugger, but the flip side is cheap good quality scotch, so I'll survive

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

James Hunt winning year Single Malts
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/whisky/vintage/1976-vintage-whisky
Tasty

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have the Glenfarclas 40 and the Ardbeg #2397 Sherry Butt from that page. The Ardbeg is ok, I guess, but that Glanfarclas may be the best value for the money scotch that I own. I own a lot of scotch, too, so that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minto Took posted:

I'm sad I can't enjoy Johnnie Walker anymore. He and I had a really bad fight after a physics exam way back when.

This is me and most bourbons, so I'm actually drinking Johnnie Walker right now, lol. So we're opposites. Too much Jack and Jim Beam in college.

That said, certain "american straight" whiskies still taste good to me, like Eagle Rare, or Sam Houston.

• Locked thread