Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always been very anti-highway both in real life and in skylines, so here is a public service post entitled "you probably don't need a big highway system, unless you really like how they look"

This intersection is the only way into the entire region, no ramps, no fancy timed lights, just a simple little intersection leading off the 2-lane regional highway to serve a growing city of about 40k

The village grew up around this narrow but busy road in pre-automobile times, the heavy truck traffic isn't very pleasant but calls for some sort of bypass just can't be justified due to the overall low volumes.

At the edge of the village traffic peters out into this light mix of cars and trucks

2 of these little suburban trains go back and forth between the village and the city, probably carrying 90% of people since each one holds about 200+

This is the only road entry to the entire city, I planned this nice big roundabout expecting a bit more traffic but it's been very calm outside of the odd immigrant wave. It gets more bikes than cars by far.

The most congested any road will get, 8 entire vehicles waiting for the tram to go by.

The same 4 lane avenue cuts through the core of the city but is mostly decorative.

The avenue continues to the industrial area and port, once again pretty low traffic as most industrial traffic seems to prefer going by boat or train.

The 3 way intersection here can get a bit busy with trucks, but flows just fine. Almost no one drives here due to the tram.

All this density and no real need for anything beyond a small 2 lane street

The city

The region

Still a ton of room to fill though, will see how things hold up once 40k becomes 80k becomes 120k and so on.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

You hand making those fences or they part of the lots? Love the way the pipes naturally curve and the development forms around it.

Everything is by hand, I've gone off the deep end on this detailing poo poo.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

baronjutter, holy poo poo get a first-person camera going and take some street-level shots, that poo poo is gorgeous.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I would have trouble telling this wasn't real.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

baronjutter, holy poo poo get a first-person camera going and take some street-level shots, that poo poo is gorgeous.

I couldn't quite find a true first person camera mod that worked nice but I did find a camera mod that let me zoom in more and clip through buildings and went a little wild.
Here's the fully gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/4CJXn

And some choice shots

Lots more in the gallery

Oh one more, I like how layered and multi-modal this area is

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Do you mind posting your modlist? Are those euro-style block townhouses a mod? And what do you use to make those industrial areas?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I couldn't quite find a true first person camera mod that worked nice but I did find a camera mod that let me zoom in more and clip through buildings and went a little wild.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650805785&searchtext=camera

I use this one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's so weird, it's like I can almost recognize real places I've been at. Not accurate enough. But rather like some kind of uncanny city valley.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Away all Goats posted:

Do you mind posting your modlist? Are those euro-style block townhouses a mod? And what do you use to make those industrial areas?

I don't know how to post a nice list but for retail there's those UK high street buildings, which are ok but I don't like how they're very obvious UK brands that don't look right in central europe.
For euro-blocks you want this guy http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978975775/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710
He makes the European, Brooklyn, and now Paris series.

For industrial stuff you want this lady
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027494461/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710
She's also the creator of the for-sale european suburban pack which I highly recommend and has finally let me make suburbs I don't hate.

Jens makes a ton of good stuff as well, some older euro/berlin blocks and lots of great landmarks
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970399225/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Oh and the really old colourful row buildings are by this guy
http://steamcommunity.com/id/andy_savin/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 14, 2017

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

The hell is this black blob?

There's nothing on those tiles, I bulldozed the crap out of the area. I saved, reloaded,bulldozed, saved and reloaded again. Still there. There's no tunnels underneath that area. The black blob doesn't appear anywhere else in the city, and its not an oil texture, for that I have cracked earth. Also if I put any trees on the spot to try and hide it they turn all weird and twiggy:

....but its definitely not pollution, I have the mod that disables that effect. Also those trees work perfectly fine elsewhere in the city, just not on the black blob.

Any ideas on how to remove it? Has part of my map fallen into another dimension?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
You had a "forest fire", it'll go away on it's own. Fire helicopters put them out if you build the helipad.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Dongattack posted:

You had a "forest fire", it'll go away on it's own. Fire helicopters put them out if you build the helipad.

Is it possible that I had a fire in that area and completely failed to notice it? Would fire trucks just deal with that automatically?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tindahbawx posted:

Is it possible that I had a fire in that area and completely failed to notice it? Would fire trucks just deal with that automatically?

Fire trucks can't reach the trees, but they will put out the fires on the buildings. I don't know if you failed to notice it or not, i wasn't invited :(

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Fire trucks can't reach the trees, but they will put out the fires on the buildings. I don't know if you failed to notice it or not, i wasn't invited :(

I guess it was burnt then, the firemen put out the buildings and then the fire died out when it ran out of trees to burn? My C demand is high so I guess in the time that it took me to notice the big black blob other people moved in?

Isnt there an alert or something when your town is on fire? I haven't played this since before the Disasters DLC, needed a PC upgrade to handle mod addiction.

Speaking of disasters, in the first city I made after grabbing all the DLC it was a lovely wee island map, I was getting on fine and was a good 5 hours or so in.... and then this huge tsunami came in and demolished literally everything. How are you supposed to deal with that? It washed across the entire map, except for this tiny high peak, literally everything got wiped out? I see theres disaster relief things in the fireman sub-menu, but I was at a point where they hadn't even been unlocked yet. I built a couple of the small shelters to see if it done anything as this death wave approached, but no-one even bothered going to them.

I just turned off tsunamis, and meteor strikes (I assume similarly destructive?) and made this new city.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 14, 2017

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Tindahbawx posted:

The hell is this black blob?

There's nothing on those tiles, I bulldozed the crap out of the area. I saved, reloaded,bulldozed, saved and reloaded again. Still there. There's no tunnels underneath that area. The black blob doesn't appear anywhere else in the city, and its not an oil texture, for that I have cracked earth. Also if I put any trees on the spot to try and hide it they turn all weird and twiggy:

....but its definitely not pollution, I have the mod that disables that effect. Also those trees work perfectly fine elsewhere in the city, just not on the black blob.

Any ideas on how to remove it? Has part of my map fallen into another dimension?

I really like your status bar at the bottom, is that a mod? or just a setting tweek?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
These beautiful shots are sucking me back toward C:S after a couple years away. I've never played with mods though... Is this the type of game where you can install and uninstall and gently caress around with mod poo poo mid-game? Or is it the kind where you have to get your modlist and load orders and whatnot locked down before starting a new map?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Trustworthy posted:

These beautiful shots are sucking me back toward C:S after a couple years away. I've never played with mods though... Is this the type of game where you can install and uninstall and gently caress around with mod poo poo mid-game? Or is it the kind where you have to get your modlist and load orders and whatnot locked down before starting a new map?

More of the former. You could start a totally vanilla city and then slowly layer mods onto it. Load orders/dependencies/etc. aren't really a thing in C:S - there are a couple mods that require other mods and a decent number of assets require other assets but nothing complicated.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

I guess it was burnt then, the firemen put out the buildings and then the fire died out when it ran out of trees to burn? My C demand is high so I guess in the time that it took me to notice the big black blob other people moved in?

Isnt there an alert or something when your town is on fire? I haven't played this since before the Disasters DLC, needed a PC upgrade to handle mod addiction.

Speaking of disasters, in the first city I made after grabbing all the DLC it was a lovely wee island map, I was getting on fine and was a good 5 hours or so in.... and then this huge tsunami came in and demolished literally everything. How are you supposed to deal with that? It washed across the entire map, except for this tiny high peak, literally everything got wiped out? I see theres disaster relief things in the fireman sub-menu, but I was at a point where they hadn't even been unlocked yet. I built a couple of the small shelters to see if it done anything as this death wave approached, but no-one even bothered going to them.

I just turned off tsunamis, and meteor strikes (I assume similarly destructive?) and made this new city.

You need to evacuate people into the shelters, there's a button up top where it shows you a disaster is coming to do it. Tsunamis can be really bad, especially on user maps that are completely flat, but I've seen some really cool defense measures against them. Meteors surprisingly aren't really that bad, they'll set things on fire and knock stuff down, but the crater isn't all that big.

I don't know if you need them for forest fires, but most disasters you have to place a sensor to get warned about it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bold Robot posted:

More of the former. You could start a totally vanilla city and then slowly layer mods onto it. Load orders/dependencies/etc. aren't really a thing in C:S - there are a couple mods that require other mods and a decent number of assets require other assets but nothing complicated.

Cool, thanks. I've been feeling a little overwhelmed by goons' must-have mod lists. I think I'd fare better introducing some of them into my game gradually, instead of all at once, so I don't end up confusing or missing out on half the features.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 14, 2017

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Twlight posted:

I really like your status bar at the bottom, is that a mod? or just a setting tweek?

Its a mod, I'll figure out the name of it when I get home and update this post, cant remember off the top of my head.

Edit: Its Extended Info Panel

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 14, 2017

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Koesj posted:

Since there's no road markings on my test roads I decided to start hand-plopping everything. The more you get your sperg on, the better this game starts to look:

I had four hours of free time, now it's gone...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Never thanked you for this, so thanks.

Koesj posted:

I had four hours of free time, now it's gone...

That looks fantastic.

Are those parking lots ploppables? Mods?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Any tips for placing metro stations? I thought I was being clever to begin with, by placing them in the middle of roundabouts - only to find that when ridership went up, great big clouds of pedestrians were having to cross the street, gridlocking my city's roads. :doh:

I've tried making footbridges using the landscaping tools, but my cims insist on stopping traffic to cross the street: even if there's a perfectly good walkway a stone's throw away.

VVV That's not a bad idea. Shame about the ~aesthetics~, though.

spincube fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Use traffic manager president edition to disable pedestrian crossings on those junctions.

Or make the roundabout out of highways cos people can't walk on them.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

Any tips for placing metro stations? I thought I was being clever to begin with, by placing them in the middle of roundabouts - only to find that when ridership went up, great big clouds of pedestrians were having to cross the street, gridlocking my city's roads. :doh:

I've tried making footbridges using the landscaping tools, but my cims insist on stopping traffic to cross the street: even if there's a perfectly good walkway a stone's throw away.

VVV That's not a bad idea. Shame about the ~aesthetics~, though.

I use pedestrian walkway tunnels usually and that's also worked pretty well.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

At what point does making intersections cross the line into madness?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know there's the nopillar mod, but the base game would be so dramatically improved if it could just... auto-reposition pillars as you construct.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tindahbawx posted:

At what point does making intersections cross the line into madness?

When you literally cannot tell what connects to what without color-coded guidelines.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hooray, I've finally unlocked the Sparkle Unicorn Rainbow Park, I never have to think about Floodland again

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When i last played the game the gameplay was entirely based on agents and traffic was overwhelmingly the most important factor. The happiness system was never relevant, because people were either content or they would leave, which meant that the city was either 100% happy or an empty shell.

Is this still the case?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yes to the first part. Dont know about happiness since who even plays this game instead of treating it as bonsai for nerds.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

The region

Still a ton of room to fill though, will see how things hold up once 40k becomes 80k becomes 120k and so on.

The city looks very pleasant but with all due respect I don't think anyone has traffic issues at that size? The challenge for me is having no traffic issues at 200,000+, and I seem to have mastered it now with all of the game's silly quirks, but it needs lot of interchanges and metro lines. Roundabouts for example become completely useless in a big city.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The city looks very pleasant but with all due respect I don't think anyone has traffic issues at that size? The challenge for me is having no traffic issues at 200,000+, and I seem to have mastered it now with all of the game's silly quirks, but it needs lot of interchanges and metro lines. Roundabouts for example become completely useless in a big city.

I am not owned! I am not owned!! *slowly turns into a limited access highway*

4 normal intersections in a row ended up causing some bad jams that were not going away. Volume wasn't really higher, it was just the odd idiot turning left super slowly and the high amount of bikes and peds crossing. So I had to do something...

This intersection remains unchanged but might need to be expanded to some sort of over-under system one day. Since the the road itself no longer has bike lanes built in I had to make one off to the side.

This is just a simple bridge to keep comfortable and safe access from one side to the other for the local neighbourhood but there's no longer a highway connection.

Here's my shame, my massive land-hogging spaghetti highway nightmare.

Map of the whole area

I have dishonoured myself and have no choice but to fall on my handlebars.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 15, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's hard to make comparisons when using realistic population and citizen lifestyle rebalance because those mods both change a great deal about how traffic ends up working on top of being customizable on a player by player basis, and when you throw in poo poo like custom assets having their stats scale by size, rush hour and TM:PE it's hard to make comparisons.

A residential area of wall to wall low density homes can be a nightmare of traffic with the right combination of mods, while a larger, European style city will be a breeze.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

turn off the TV posted:

It's hard to make comparisons when using realistic population and citizen lifestyle rebalance because those mods both change a great deal about how traffic ends up working on top of being customizable on a player by player basis, and when you throw in poo poo like custom assets having their stats scale by size, rush hour and TM:PE it's hard to make comparisons.

A residential area of wall to wall low density homes can be a nightmare of traffic with the right combination of mods, while a larger, European style city will be a breeze.

I agree comparisons are difficult but I'm fairly confident my near-vanilla mega cities that would melt most PCs have way more population than that tiny village. IRL I live in a city that is choked to death with traffic and also has no highways so I'm kinda the anti-Baronjutter in my designs, just massive infrastructure everywhere with 25+ tiles filled with high density zoning.

To quote esteemed philosopher Chris Brown, "Car too fast, don't give a gently caress about pedestrians."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In my unmodded experience just having a small industrial or commercial district is enough for the game to turn into this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I agree comparisons are difficult but I'm fairly confident my near-vanilla mega cities that would melt most PCs have way more population than that tiny village. IRL I live in a city that is choked to death with traffic and also has no highways so I'm kinda the anti-Baronjutter in my designs, just massive infrastructure everywhere with 25+ tiles filled with high density zoning.

To quote esteemed philosopher Chris Brown, "Car too fast, don't give a gently caress about pedestrians."

It's not really a matter of total population, but the density of the population and their choice of transit. The citizen lifecycle rebalance mod makes it so that high density cims are more likely to walk, bike, or use public transit, while low density cims are much, much more likely to drive. As a result, a bunch of 1x1 low density homes can produce massive amounts of car traffic in comparison to even a moderately large vanilla city.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I know.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just for fun a while ago I made a big ugly sprawling highway city and traffic was hell. The game isn't perfect but you often do get the traffic you build for, there's almost an induced demand effect. Build huge mega-grids of highways and you'll get a huge amount of car traffic, but that exact same population when built in a cozy web of 2-lane streets and bike lanes and good transit and suddenly it all works nice too.

Certain cims will prefer transit, some will prefer cars, but most will pick the fastest rought weighted by these two preferences. What they don't understand is congestion. So if you build a city around highways they will see these super fast routes available to them and that will tip many to choose to drive, but when you have mostly 40kph streets everywhere then things other than driving become more enticing, especially when your city is designed to make driving routes longer and less direct than other methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

In my unmodded experience just having a small industrial or commercial district is enough for the game to turn into this.

I love the idea of having more citizen-focused, 'organic' disasters than the same ones we've seen since SC2K. Like an 'oh poo poo' industrial dispute where the roads into your cargo terminals end up under Operation Stack, for example - or a cold-weather disease that spreads via public transport, or something. Let's find out whether the agent simulation is smart enough to require actual road upkeep, instead of a generic cost-per-unit - as in, roads visually degrade until they need to be closed or restricted until they can be repaired.