Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not the best part of the game.

The best part is you can replay the New Donk City Festival as many times as you want!

Welp! Now I know how I’m spending part of lunch! This game is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm up to the mid 700s now. The hint system, between Talkatoo and toad, is a really great way to help clean up those last few moons in each zone. One tiny complaint: it's a little lame that every(?) sub-zone has one standard moon, one hidden moon. Starts to get a little repetitive after a while.

This game is great though. I look forward to replaying it once I have had time to let it fade a little bit in my memory.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

El Burbo posted:

Just saw a speedrunner beat the broodal mech without capturing a pokio or knocking it down at all. Wow that was somethin

got a link for that part, burbo?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Futaba Anzu posted:

Don't know if it's the same guy but HelixSnake has one here. Helix knocks it down once.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

El Burbo posted:

Just saw a speedrunner beat the broodal mech without capturing a pokio or knocking it down at all. Wow that was somethin

How the hell does he even get on top of it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Futaba Anzu posted:

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think it might be this one. Definitely worth a watch. :catstare:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Made a pokio knock the bombs into its legs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Fetus posted:

God drat that's awesome.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PantsBandit posted:

One tiny complaint: it's a little lame that every(?) sub-zone has one standard moon, one hidden moon.
There is at least one that only has a standard moon (it's the uh... you capture the big blowy dude in Snow Kingdom and use him to push some stairs into the proper place) and it threw me the hell off because they all have two - I literally had to leave and come back and have Cappy tell me to give it up before I gave up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm up to the mid 700s now. The hint system, between Talkatoo and toad, is a really great way to help clean up those last few moons in each zone. One tiny complaint: it's a little lame that every(?) sub-zone has one standard moon, one hidden moon. Starts to get a little repetitive after a while.

This game is great though. I look forward to replaying it once I have had time to let it fade a little bit in my memory.

I like that each smaller challenge area has two moons. If say only half of them had 2 moons and the other half had only 1, I'd go crazy looking for moons that weren't there.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 13, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There is at least one that only has a standard moon (it's the uh... you capture the big blowy dude in Snow Kingdom and use him to push some stairs into the proper place) and it threw me the hell off because they all have two - I literally had to leave and come back and have Cappy tell me to give it up before I gave up.

Also the picture match rooms. I scoured every wall of those initially just to be sure

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nina posted:

Also the picture match rooms. I scoured every wall of those initially just to be sure
Picture match rooms have two moons :ssh:

because there's a second picture match postgame, friendo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the biggest failing about the hint toad/talkatoo is when it comes to "secret path to [kingdom]" moons where you have to travel to the kingdom through a painting-- the problem being that it counts as a moon for the kingdom the moon is found in, not the painting. this is inconsistent with the hidden art paintings that will at least point you to the hidden art and let you piece it together from there.

the last moon i need in cascade kingdom is a secret path moon. if i ask hint toad about it he says the moon is way up in the sky on the floating island. like yeah, no poo poo dude. there's no way for me to tell where the path originates from. the last moon i need in lake kingdom is also a secret path moon but i was at least able to get a sick jump and angle the photo mode camera in such a way that i can tell the painting comes from new donk city. that said, i have no idea where in new donk city it is... and i've done everything in new donk city!!

i haven't felt the need to look these up yet but i've broken the 800 moon barrier and i beat darker side last night so i'm running out of things to do before going back to new donk city and scouring it for the umpteenth time

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

the biggest failing about the hint toad/talkatoo is when it comes to "secret path to [kingdom]" moons where you have to travel to the kingdom through a painting-- the problem being that it counts as a moon for the kingdom the moon is found in, not the painting. this is inconsistent with the hidden art paintings that will at least point you to the hidden art and let you piece it together from there.

the last moon i need in cascade kingdom is a secret path moon. if i ask hint toad about it he says the moon is way up in the sky on the floating island. like yeah, no poo poo dude. there's no way for me to tell where the path originates from. the last moon i need in lake kingdom is also a secret path moon but i was at least able to get a sick jump and angle the photo mode camera in such a way that i can tell the painting comes from new donk city. that said, i have no idea where in new donk city it is... and i've done everything in new donk city!!

i haven't felt the need to look these up yet but i've broken the 800 moon barrier and i beat darker side last night so i'm running out of things to do before going back to new donk city and scouring it for the umpteenth time

Hint: The New Donk City portrait is right by the Odyssey. It took me forever to find it too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kaubocks posted:

That’s because the painting to Cascade Kingdom is in Snow Kingdom

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Aren’t the painting destinations random?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

They're not random, but they're determined by which kingdom you visited first when the path branches. So they can be different between games.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Ah didn’t realize that! Possibly ignore my last post then.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can’t do the 100 jump rope challenge :( I’ve tried everything youtube videos say to do but I can not get higher than 60

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I can’t do the 100 jump rope challenge :( I’ve tried everything youtube videos say to do but I can not get higher than 60
Have you tried playing in handheld mode? I felt like it was basically impossible for me to press the button fast enough to keep up with the speed on my TV, but once I switched to handheld I got it on like the 3rd try.

Also, make sure you're hitting the button on the sound cues and NOT looking at Mario's position to time your jumps. If you wait until Mario hits the ground to press jump again you'll always be late.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
all sub-rooms have 2 moons.

i'm on 855 baby! just have a ton of picture art to find and then see what all the fuss is about with this very very last level...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

all sub-rooms have 2 moons.
The puzzles where you gotta flip a block back and forth on a grid until it fits into a specific slot (I think there's 2 of them?) only have 1 moon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Watched this some more. I never realized that you could use the Sphinx to skip the moon cave and head straight to the chapel. :catstare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

You goofed

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

gently caress this exact part

Cobalt Viper posted:

Have you tried playing in handheld mode? I felt like it was basically impossible for me to press the button fast enough to keep up with the speed on my TV, but once I switched to handheld I got it on like the 3rd try.

Also, make sure you're hitting the button on the sound cues and NOT looking at Mario's position to time your jumps. If you wait until Mario hits the ground to press jump again you'll always be late.

You also don't actually have to truly 'jump rope', all you have to do is just not touch it. Once it gets up to max speed you can just throw Cappy to stay in the air longer and cheese out 2 rope jumps at once.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Instead of triple jumps I exclusively used long jumps and cap dives for that part.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i'm triggered by this

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Quad jumps are best for that part due to the speed increase.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You forgot to hat toss+dive+jump. :mediocre:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think I've ever actually done a dive WITHOUT doing a hat toss before it. It's just ingrained into my muscle memory.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

once you hit 50 jumps in jump rope the rhythm changes. i got the 100 by doing sets of two - a tiny short jump followed by a very slightly longer jump, again and again.

also jump rope has nothing on the pokkio jumps in darker side. whatta nightmare

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

You forgot to hat toss

I believe if you look very closely you can see why they didn't

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

turnways posted:

:doh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

turnways posted:

God drat it, hahah. Would he have made the dive if he kept going in a straight line instead of going for the middle of the platform since he was so close?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just did a series of jumps and reached the top of peach's castle from the front without using the scarecrow staircase.

I feel like a wizard.

Like, I'm kind of surprised a Power Glove didn't materialize onto my hand at that moment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've died probably 50 times on that part in mushroom kingdom where it switches from 2D to 3D. I hate this so much.

Edit: probably took me like 70 tries holy moly.

Can someone give me a hint on how to get to the detached island in the mushroom kingdom?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We started playing this evening in 2P mode, and at the beginning of the sand kingdom while we were bouncing around the rooftops somehow the camera got stuck in one place and the characters then ran around aimlessly. Can’t work out if it’s a bug, or something to do with snapshot mode or something. Had to just warp to a checkpoint to get out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

I've died probably 50 times on that part in mushroom kingdom where it switches from 2D to 3D. I hate this so much.

Edit: probably took me like 70 tries holy moly.

Can someone give me a hint on how to get to the detached island in the mushroom kingdom?
The same way you get to the part of every map that's way off disconnected from the main map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GreatGreen posted:

I just did a series of jumps and reached the top of peach's castle from the front without using the scarecrow staircase.

I feel like a wizard.

Like, I'm kind of surprised a Power Glove didn't materialize onto my hand at that moment.

I didnt even know about the scarecrow, i just a ground pound jump and cap dive wall jump to the princess to get up there.

• Locked thread