Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just did the boss rush thing in the second - last post game world. I like that even though this mainly exists for a boss rush there's still secret moons everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it took me an embarrassingly long time to find the second moon in the poison maze cave in sand kingdom

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

In Training posted:

it took me an embarrassingly long time to find the second moon in the poison maze cave in sand kingdom

it's a good feeling when you figure that one out though

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/929711663149805568

So it wasn't until AFTER I tried this 20 times that I realized you're just supposed to possess a fireball and swim back there and get it. Oops.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cobalt Viper posted:

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/929711663149805568

So it wasn't until AFTER I tried this 20 times that I realized you're just supposed to possess a fireball and swim back there and get it. Oops.

This brings up one thing I'm not liking, that you can suicide to get moons purple coins etc, it's annoying when I'll do a tricky jump to grab coins and whiff the landing and the game just lets me keep them, I don't really feel like I earned it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

P-Mack posted:

This brings up one thing I'm not liking, that you can suicide to get moons purple coins etc, it's annoying when I'll do a tricky jump to grab coins and whiff the landing and the game just lets me keep them, I don't really feel like I earned it

Speedruns do this on purpose to get a moon + save time on teleporting from the map menu

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

P-Mack posted:

In any other 3D Mario game, getting a star would kick you out of the level so grabbing one mid-air over certain death was never really an issue. And I'm 90% sure that in all the 2D variations when you collect a dino/giant coin, even if you die before a checkpoint the coin stays collected.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

P-Mack posted:

its important to game with honor

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ive seen at least one moon that went back after activating it but falling off before collecting it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they do that a fair amount with the key based moons, because the key is usually in a tricky platforming spot and you need to survive the return journey to collect the moon.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Super Mario Odyssey

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Super Mario Odyssey

im at 810, ive got like 1-2 moons left on most levels except bubblaine which i still havent returned to, saving it for last at this point. closing in on the 100%

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

thus their journey ended, for there was no mario left to play,,,,,,,,

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I will be buying a Nintendo Switch and Mario sometime this week, and I've avoided almost all spoilers except that its huge and amazing so I still have lots of mario left to play. Jealous much?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

No

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

what if voyager did make contact with aliens but instead of space ships and perpetual energy they beamed us 40 years of nintendo

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

rediscover posted:

I will be buying a Nintendo Switch and Mario sometime this week, and I've avoided almost all spoilers except that its huge and amazing so I still have lots of mario left to play. Jealous much?

congrats gamer

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

rediscover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

what if voyager did make contact with aliens but instead of space ships and perpetual energy they beamed us 40 years of nintendo

The Zelda alone would cause too many joy overdoses, let alone the Mario and the two Metroid games that would come out in that time

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i've dug out the switch dock and hooked it up to see mario's odyssey on the tv and because i think i'll break it if i keep shaking in handheld mode

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

NASA: Holy poo poo it's a transmission. The nation is standing by for this momentous occasion as researchers are hard at work deciphering what they've communicated to us.
*2 days pass*
NASA: The aliens seem to have completed what's known as a "120 star speedrun" in a mere 1h35m - we're still looking for signs of segmentation, but if this is real it...changes everything

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
uncommentatedPannen is like amy adam's character in arrival

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

four star general man: My god.... they're not pressing the a-button

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

uncommentatedPannen is like amy adam's character in arrival

“Our language has no real way of expressing this, but the closest approximation is a ‘half-button press’”

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
gently caress I would pay money for a whole expansion that just added a bunch more Koopa Freerunning events. And player ghosts for the leaderboards please

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah koopa freerunning has been surprisingly fun - usually I bomb on race levels. :rip:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

finished the first ending, now the real game begins. seriously has any studio ever had a year like EPD's had this year. this is some legendary poo poo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I guess SMW and LttP were released within a year so thats pretty good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

“Our language has no real way of expressing this, but the closest approximation is a ‘half-button press’”

lol

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

gently caress I would pay money for a whole expansion that just added a bunch more Koopa Freerunning events. And player ghosts for the leaderboards please

strange how other big companies are sucking every nickle out of people but despite nintendo lovers desperately trying to dum;p truckloads of money on them they just wont take it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

ea: for the HARDCORE GAMERS out there we're offering the SUPER PLATINUM EDITION for just $99.99 that gives you access to EXCLUSIVE NEW CONTENT that was somehow created before the game was actually released

nintendo: heres our new game we hope you like it :)

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Nintendo kicks butt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ea: for the HARDCORE GAMERS out there we're offering the SUPER PLATINUM EDITION for just $99.99 that gives you access to EXCLUSIVE NEW CONTENT that was somehow created before the game was actually released

nintendo: heres our new game we hope you like it :)

I️ mean they also released a Metroid game that has modes locked behind an amiibo and you need to pay extra to unlock difficulty options in Zelda. And there's also fire emblem games which wind up with dlc that costs more than the base game for like 1/4th the stuff. It's just not as bad bc the games they make are actually good instead of being vehicles for monetization

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

someone pls change my name to vehicle for monetization

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I️ mean they also released a Metroid game that has modes locked behind an amiibo and you need to pay extra to unlock difficulty options in Zelda. And there's also fire emblem games which wind up with dlc that costs more than the base game for like 1/4th the stuff. It's just not as bad bc the games they make are actually good instead of being vehicles for monetization

Isnt the Metroid unlock with Amiibo just one difficulty mode and some aesthetic stuff?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training posted:

fire emblem creeps deserve to be nickle and dimed every step they take along their road of shame

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

playing fire emblem is like going to hell but instead of giving a coin to charon you have to show a preorder for semi erotic dlc

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Cobalt Viper posted:

In any other 3D Mario game, getting a star would kick you out of the level so grabbing one mid-air over certain death was never really an issue. And I'm 90% sure that in all the 2D variations when you collect a dino/giant coin, even if you die before a checkpoint the coin stays collected.

smw didn't save the dragon coins until you collected ALL for the stage (at which point you were free to die). Then even in New super mario bros if you die after grabbing a star coin and before the midpoint, you have to collect it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The Milkman posted:

i've dug out the switch dock and hooked it up to see mario's odyssey on the tv and because i think i'll break it if i keep shaking in handheld mode

I haven’t had to shake it yet

• Locked thread