Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Theophany posted:

I feel your pain brother. Boot camp not working with APFS and rocking nVidia web drivers is a loving nightmare. Basically pick your OS for the week and live with it or be prepared to endure a shitstorm.

Can you elaborate on these two points? My upgrade to High Sierra didn't include a conversion to APFS because of the Fusion Drive so Boot Camp works as it always has. I was under the impression that after a conversion to APFS Boot Camp still works, but just can't read the APFS drive from Windows 10.

Also is there something wrong with using the Nvidia web drivers? Do the Apple drivers work better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
How would I go about removing the iTerm from the right click context menu? I already deleted the application but the menu item still remains there.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Last Chance posted:

Can you elaborate on these two points? My upgrade to High Sierra didn't include a conversion to APFS because of the Fusion Drive so Boot Camp works as it always has. I was under the impression that after a conversion to APFS Boot Camp still works, but just can't read the APFS drive from Windows 10.

Also is there something wrong with using the Nvidia web drivers? Do the Apple drivers work better?

Boot camp can't actually send you back into an APFS formatted MacOS installation right now, so if you're one of the stubborn assholes like me that is keeping a Mac Pro on life support with a recent nVidia card, there's literally no way back into MacOS from Windows. No boot screens and a zap of the PRAM to reset boot parameters causes the web drivers startup kext to send you into a boot loop!

I think I've done more TM restores for High Sierra than any other version of MacOS I can remember. Admittedly it's almost entirely due to my edge(lord) choices. It's been great on my MBP.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lol internet. posted:

How would I go about removing the iTerm from the right click context menu? I already deleted the application but the menu item still remains there.

Have you tried restarting the machine? Services are defined in an .app's plist, anywhere on the file system! iTerm2.app/Contents/Info.plist defines these services here:

code:
<key>NSServices</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>NSMenuItem</key>
			<dict>
				<key>default</key>
				<string>New iTerm2 Tab Here</string>
			</dict>
			<key>NSMessage</key>
			<string>openTab</string>
			<key>NSRequiredContext</key>
			<dict>
				<key>NSTextContent</key>
				<string>FilePath</string>
			</dict>
			<key>NSSendTypes</key>
			<array>
				<string>NSFilenamesPboardType</string>
				<string>public.plain-text</string>
			</array>
		</dict>
They display in the top level context menu if there's 3 or 4 (not sure) or fewer. I have more than that, so they display under the 'Services' submenu. Boo. But yeah it's not magic, advertise that you support the service, it'll exist there. User-defined Services can also be created with Automator. Those will go in your ~/Library I think, but isn't what's happening here.

So, basically, get iTerm2.app with its plist off your user-accessible file system, and then restart!

edit: gently caress, 'ask Pivo how to get rid of something, he tells you how to implement it'... digging through Apple's docs... you can do a LOT of stuff with Services! This is really neat! It's a lot more formalized than the crap hacking up a DLL writing a COM object bullshit you have to do to stick a shell extension in Explorer!

Pivo fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 12, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Theophany posted:

there's literally no way back into MacOS from Windows

you hit Restart and hold Option at boot ... this works for people running Boot Camp with High Sierra on an APFS volume. Does it not work for you? Changing the Startup disk from Boot Camp is a 'nice to have' but has never been necessary IMO

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

you hit Restart and hold Option at boot ... this works for people running Boot Camp with High Sierra on an APFS volume. Does it not work for you? Changing the Startup disk from Boot Camp is a 'nice to have' but has never been necessary IMO

If you're running an unsupported video card without the magic blob you don't get a boot screen until you actually enter MacOS.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

If you're running an unsupported video card without the magic blob you don't get a boot screen until you actually enter MacOS.

Oh wow. Does the boot menu just not display, or does the code not run at all? i.e. can you blindly select a startup disk?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol internet. posted:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services > Locate the services in question and uncheck the boxes. Although a reboot might get rid of them too, as others mentioned.

Question of my own: What's a good archive browser? I have The Unarchiver for extracting but I often just want to poke around inside jars/wars/ears and it might be nice to skip the extra step of deleting the extracted files when I'm done.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 12, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services > Locate the services in question and uncheck the boxes.

That's how you hide it, not how you remove the Service from the system ;-) Could be a solution, but I think he wants it gone from that list entirely... That's why I went spelunking through my system & the docs to find where the thing is defined! Hiding it is easy. But yeah it's just the .app plist advertises it, get rid of the app on your local file system, reboot, and macOS should no longer find it.

Or hide it, yeah. ;-)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It breaks code signing, but...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cool, great, everyone acknowledges how smart you are. You can stop posting about services now.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

carry on then posted:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services > Locate the services in question and uncheck the boxes. Although a reboot might get rid of them too, as others mentioned.

Question of my own: What's a good archive browser? I have The Unarchiver for extracting but I often just want to poke around inside jars/wars/ears and it might be nice to skip the extra step of deleting the extracted files when I'm done.

I'm using Keka (free if you download from the website.) Although not sure if you can actually "browse" the archive, I normally extract. I believe it can auto delete as well and generally can take any archive I throw at it.

Thanks for both the help on the context menu (Pivo too.) I will try it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pivo posted:

Oh wow. Does the boot menu just not display, or does the code not run at all? i.e. can you blindly select a startup disk?

I've tried it many times and it never seems to work. There's no reason in my mind that holding option shouldn't bring up the boot screen, but no matter how many combinations of left/right arrow and Enter I try, it always takes me back into Windows. Zapping the PRAM used to work, but doing so causes the nVidia driver's startup kext to put you into a boot loop, which apparently is rectified by disabling SIP (lol).

The alternatives are either switch to a supported card or spend stupid money for a custom EFI firmware for the graphics card. My current workaround is zap the PRAM, power down, delete the offending kext with another machine, boot up, dial in via TeamViewer/Remote Screen and reinstall the nVidia drivers.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I just got a refurbished (by Apple) 13" MacBook Pro with a 512G hard drive and 8GB RAM. It also has the Touch Bar, if that matters. Two questions:

1. Since RAM is non-upgradeable, should I return the laptop for one with a smaller hard drive, but more RAM? I can't afford both a big hard drive and 16GB RAM, unfortunately. Maybe it would be worth it to have a smaller hard drive since I can store stuff in iCloud (which I haven't bothered doing before), but I'm not sure how cost effective that would be in the long run.

2. Either way, how the hell do I get my computer to stop telling me that my free iCloud storage is full every time I try to save something or create a new folder? I know that, and I'm saving everything to the hard drive. My 2013 15" Pro doesn't do this, and I wish I didn't have to give it back to my workplace :(

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I checked out the laptop megathread but figured it might be better to ask the Mac thread about Mac problems. I'm also pissed off at iTunes, but see there is a whole separate thread for that.

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 14, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I dunno about #1, I have never gone below 512/16GB of RAM with a modern MacBook Pro, but if you can live with 256GB of storage, 16GB of RAM is nice. It really depends on your workload. It's a personal choice. If you use lots of heavy applications but don't necessarily need a lot of local storage, RAM wins. But, if you're not going to be able to use your computer to its fullest with 256GB of storage, you can survive with 8GB of RAM.

As for #2, go to Settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive "Options..." -> Uncheck 'Desktop & Documents'

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Totally depends on your usage. I've got 16GB of RAM in my mid-2014 MBP and 32GB in my Mac Pro. Neither machine sweats it for RAM when I'm doing my most intensive work (>1GB Photoshop files, stitching together panoramas or HDR composites), but YMMV and if you're going to be running a load of VMs, for example, I would imagine you're gonna bump your head against the ceiling pretty frequently.

If it came down to it, for me, I value the disk space more than the RAM headroom purely because of my needs and that MacOS is pretty good at managing what is in memory. Other people ITT will have totally different opinions and it's really down to you to figure out which is going to keep your Mac running as well as you need it to in the long term.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Blue Scream posted:

I just got a refurbished (by Apple) 13" MacBook Pro with a 512G hard drive and 8GB RAM. It also has the Touch Bar, if that matters. Three questions:

1. Since RAM is non-upgradeable, should I return the laptop for one with a smaller hard drive, but more RAM? I can't afford both a big hard drive and 16GB RAM, unfortunately. Maybe it would be worth it to have a smaller hard drive since I can store stuff in iCloud (which I haven't bothered doing before), but I'm not sure how cost effective that would be in the long run.

2. Either way, how the hell do I get my computer to stop telling me that my free iCloud storage is full every time I try to save something or create a new folder? I know that, and I'm saving everything to the hard drive. My 2013 15" Pro doesn't do this, and I wish I didn't have to give it back to my workplace :(

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I checked out the laptop megathread but figured it might be better to ask the Mac thread about Mac problems. I'm also pissed off at iTunes, but see there is a whole separate thread for that.

Alright so go into (Apple logo) -> System Preferences -> iCloud you should see something called an iCloud drive. Click on options, and see if Desktop + Documents are checked off. If so uncheck them. Yes Apple now tries to upload whatever is on your desktop/documents folder to the cloud lol.

Personally I would ask how important is the 200gb of storage? 250gb is rather low as realistically you only have ~150gb, once you get lower your computer will start to hiccup and slow down. Like Theophany said are you doing any intensive work? Keep in mind browser take up a good chunk especially if you use Chrome. I'm always hovering over 8gb but that's because I have iTunes, Unity (programming app), and Safari open at once so I'm not surprised.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nude posted:

Alright so go into (Apple logo) -> System Preferences -> iCloud you should see something called an iCloud drive. Click on options, and see if Desktop + Documents are checked off. If so uncheck them. Yes Apple now tries to upload whatever is on your desktop/documents folder to the cloud lol.

Personally I would ask how important is the 200gb of storage? 250gb is rather low as realistically you only have ~150gb, once you get lower your computer will start to hiccup and slow down. Like Theophany said are you doing any intensive work? Keep in mind browser take up a good chunk especially if you use Chrome. I'm always hovering over 8gb but that's because I have iTunes, Unity (programming app), and Safari open at once so I'm not surprised.

i wouldn't necessarily clock that as a workload that would fill 8GB of RAM, more likely OSX is just caching a load of stuff to fill your unused memory. although if that stuff is filling 8GB RAM then software is in a worse state of affairs than i thought and they should pull their loving finger out

honestly i'd say for most mainstream computing today and in the next few years you'll miss the 500gb drive far more than the 16gb RAM. i'd say as long as you've got time in the return period, use it for a while and see if you run into any limitations

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 13, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I hover around 8.5GB active with Chrome, Mail.app, TweetDeck, iTerm, Cisco AnyConnect, Calculator, iTunes, etc. 2GB on top of that wired, assuming mostly OS stuff.

Swapping would be OK because a lot of those things are just in the background.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

I hover around 8.5GB active with Chrome, Mail.app, TweetDeck, iTerm, Cisco AnyConnect, Calculator, iTunes, etc. 2GB on top of that wired, assuming mostly OS stuff.

Swapping would be OK because a lot of those things are just in the background.

I assume 8gb of that is Chrome

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I assume 8gb of that is Chrome

It is around 3GB with 9 tabs. Although I use a lot of extensions. It could be worse...

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Awesome, thanks guys. Given my needs, I think I'll stick with what I've got and see how it goes before the return period ends.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Blue Scream, during the return period you can use Activity Monitor's Memory pane to get an idea of whether 8GB is enough for you. If the "Swap Used" field all the way at the bottom stays at 0 bytes, it is definitely enough. If there is some swap in use, you can get a rough idea how bad things are from the "Memory Pressure" graph. Low values / green is good.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Generic Monk posted:

i wouldn't necessarily clock that as a workload that would fill 8GB of RAM, more likely OSX is just caching a load of stuff to fill your unused memory. although if that stuff is filling 8GB RAM then software is in a worse state of affairs than i thought and they should pull their loving finger out

honestly i'd say for most mainstream computing today and in the next few years you'll miss the 500gb drive far more than the 16gb RAM. i'd say as long as you've got time in the return period, use it for a while and see if you run into any limitations

Sorry for being misleading. I am using "App Memory + Wired Memory + Compressed Memory" in activity monitor as a gauge, as I thought Cached files would cover that. Unity is a memory hog though.

Nude fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 13, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nude posted:

Sorry for being misleading. I am using "App Memory + Wired Memory + Compressed Memory" in activity monitor as a gauge, as I thought Cached files would cover that. Unity is a memory hog though.

honestly you're probably more qualified than me to make the assessment, i have no idea how to properly read activity monitor

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm getting a new MBP tomorrow, and I want to figure out the best way to run the occasional game/other Windows program on it. Boot Camp has the performance advantage, Parallels has convenience. A Parallels VM backed by a Boot Camp partition seems like it's theoretically the best of both worlds because of the disk space savings, but I remember hearing that there were some issues with APFS and Boot Camp/Parallels.

Have those been resolved? If so, is using one partition for both a reasonable thing to do, or am I going to end up hating myself?

Obviously I'd be giving up snapshots, which I'm fine with. But are there any weird issues caused by Parallels Tools when booted outside a VM? Or Windows licensing/activation issues caused by the VM and real hardware seeming like different machines?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thoom posted:

I'm getting a new MBP tomorrow, and I want to figure out the best way to run the occasional game/other Windows program on it. Boot Camp has the performance advantage, Parallels has convenience. A Parallels VM backed by a Boot Camp partition seems like it's theoretically the best of both worlds because of the disk space savings, but I remember hearing that there were some issues with APFS and Boot Camp/Parallels.

Have those been resolved? If so, is using one partition for both a reasonable thing to do, or am I going to end up hating myself?

Obviously I'd be giving up snapshots, which I'm fine with. But are there any weird issues caused by Parallels Tools when booted outside a VM? Or Windows licensing/activation issues caused by the VM and real hardware seeming like different machines?

I can't speak for APFS incompatibilities since I'm using a Fusion Drive currently so everything's still HFS+ for me, but I've been a heavy user of Parallels + Boot Camp for like five years in order to play games. I did read that the newest version of Parallels 13 is compatible with APFS. Plus, you're simply booting an NTFS partition on a local disk and I'd guess that capability hasn't been affected much by Apple's move to APFS.

In order to run Boot Camp at all you are going to split your hard drive space into at least two partitions: APFS and NTFS. That's part of Boot Camp setup. You can't use a single APFS partition to boot Windows. Not sure if you were asking that, though.

No snapshots like you said. Parallels Tools stays out of the way when you're fully booted into Windows. You may have some Windows activation woes. My version of Windows 10 runs unlicensed when booted via Parallels in a macOS High Sierra host. It used to be activated, but at some point it considered itself a new machine. When fully booted, Windows 10 stays activated. :shrug:

Fun things you can do when booted in a vm:

- Run Windows Updates so you don't actually have to reboot the machine
- Install large games + updates to games from Steam without needing to reboot
- Manage "backup" Wii games or other dumb old Windows-only apps

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 14, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone running a patched High Sierra on an older Mac, like a 2009 MBP? Stuck on 10.11 now and don't really have a reason to upgrade but why not as long as it won't make it run like donkey poo poo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thoom posted:

Boot Camp's issue with APFS is that you cannot reboot directly back into MacOS, but it's as simple to fix as holding option on the restart and selecting your APFS partition to boot from. Simples!

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone running a patched High Sierra on an older Mac, like a 2009 MBP? Stuck on 10.11 now and don't really have a reason to upgrade but why not as long as it won't make it run like donkey poo poo

I’m running patched High Sierra on my 2008 iMac. It runs really well with a couple of quirks, 1. it no longer recognizes my wifi card not bad as I always used it wired. 2. It doesn’t recognize the type of keyboard that’s attached, so I can’t change modifier keys, it’s the Apple keyboard that came with it, so who knows.

I did a clean install so not sure if you can do an in place upgrade? I did Sierra and now High Sierra.

I’d install the patched High Sierra to an external drive and boot from that and see what happens. If you like it and see what breaks, I think he has some fixes for WiFi, but I didn’t investigate too deep.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, I am a Windows sysadmin stuck doing Mac support until we get another helpdesk guy or until I just get fed up and go full-in on the job hunt. I have a persistent Mac issue that I'd like to know how I can maybe automate or semi-automate a fix.

Situation: user's Chrome browser freezes maybe once or twice a week. Since she's using web applications that are only supported by the vendor in Chrome, we can't just have her use Safari. Every time it occurs, I can fix it by going through these steps: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/fix-google-chrome-freezing-mac-28508.html

Is there a way for me to automate this so that she can either double-click a shortcut or do something that will rename her Library -> Application Support -> Google -> Chrome -> Default folder on an incremental basis (e.g. she already has Backup Default 1, 2, and 3, I'd like to increment as it goes to ensure we can pull stuff out if needed) without prompting for admin credentials? She isn't a local admin, and I can make a case for it if need be.

She's on the list of users that's going to get an upgrade to Sierra on a clean build, and I'll just copy over data, but until that happens I'd like to eliminate this issue if I can, or if anyone knows of a fix I'm all ears.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

what the gently caress guy

what

no

NO

figure out WHY the profile is getting corrupted, don't automate a loving workaround! IF YOU MUST KNOW you can do this poo poo with a simple bash script, cron it if you want, if you're a n00b you can use Automator and AppleScript like the old farts but DUDE

NO
NO.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Jesus christ Pivo can you just shut the gently caress up for once. Offer help that is helpful, and don't lecture people about how they should feel bad if they don't drop everything and crack open debuggers to trace down the exact cause of an apparently common problem in an application they don't have source for, in a computing environment they aren't familiar with, when they likely don't have enough time to go super in depth. They're probably going above and beyond just by contemplating spending enough time to learn how to script an automated version of the workaround. Fixing Mac Chrome is on Google, not on a Windows sysadmin.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Pivo posted:

what the gently caress guy

what

no

NO

figure out WHY the profile is getting corrupted, don't automate a loving workaround! IF YOU MUST KNOW you can do this poo poo with a simple bash script, cron it if you want, if you're a n00b you can use Automator and AppleScript like the old farts but DUDE

NO
NO.

who hurt you?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

qutius posted:

who hurt you?

windows sysadmins apparently

I work in a Microsoft shop.

No, do not cover up the problem by applying a nuclear-option workaround automatically. It is not the normal operation of Chrome, as hosed as it is these days, to corrupt people's profiles, on macOS or otherwise. Something unusual is going on, and that's a far more interesting problem.

Scripting the nuclear option is a bullshit solution and you're a loving crap admin if you do. The correct lazy option is to nuke the user's environment, including their Chrome profile. Let's see them make it recur.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 15, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Look, if you want to script this, here:

code:
#!/bin/bash
backup_num=1
while [[ -d "Backup $backup_num" ]] ; do
    let backup_num++
done
echo $backup_num
mkdir "Backup $backup_num"
Change "Backup" to "Backup Default" if that's what your folders are called, change "mkdir" to a mv that copies the profile over, you can make this work.

I advise you against it, but these assholes asked me to offer help, so there you go. This is the basis of a shell script that will let you do a great dis-service to your user.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'd really like to try to fix it if I can but blowing them away and redoing it will take me offline to get everything copied, reinstalled, etc. Normally I'd have a helpdesk guy do it but they fired mine in June and we still don't have a replacement yet. That's another story.

I'm willing to troubleshoot further and learn more about how to do stuff with Macs as a result of it but I am not turning a minor issue into a project unless I have no alternatives. Like I mentioned, she's eventually going to be getting a clean Sierra build, so if I can't perma-fix this, then I'm going to keep doing this option - which is literally renaming a single folder - rather than redoing her profile each and every time.

The total time sink of handholding and actually doing the move will instantly overtake the total amount of time it takes me to go over, make the copy, launch Chrome, and clear the cache. Assuming it happens once per week (and I'm overestimating for sake of argument, it's closer to once every other week) and it takes me 2.5 minutes to walk over, do the rename and clear, and walk back, and I hope to start migrating people by the end of the month at best, end of December at worst, and it'll take me upwards of two hours to do a new profile from scratch and rebuild stuff, etc., it's plain to see that if I can't script the fix and solve this minor annoyance, I might as well live with it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oh gently caress, here comes Pivo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Privo’s right. Lol at banking on a reformat to fix your problems. Very Windows. Authentically digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

To piggyback on High Sierra/old mac chat, I just upgraded to HS on a 2012 imac 27", and it sort of stutters when i swipe between desktops, and occasionally will freeze up for 10 seconds seemingly at random, like clicking on a link in chrome.

I could probably stand to get a new imac anyway, but is this more an indication of HS being barely-compatible, or the imac dying?