Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder what Brooke Ence (the actress in the photos) thinks of the JL design compared to her WW design, or what she has to say about the recent 'regression' article using her costuming as an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm not really a huge fan of the practicality argument because if you go down that path Superman's fighting style should be chucking rocks at people at 0.1c or whatever. Actually that would be pretty cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I'm not really a huge fan of the practicality argument because if you go down that path Superman's fighting style should be chucking rocks at people at 0.1c or whatever. Actually that would be pretty cool.

Yes. Or Batman wearing a cape, for example.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh gtfo with that "you're the ones trying to shame women by wanting to cover her up!!" bullshit.

In the WW film, the Amazons went into battle with functional and well-designed armor. The same Amazon who wore that functional armor in WW is now dressed much skimpier and more revealingly in JL for no apparent reason, and she's just one of multiple examples.

Yes, pro athletes and fighters, male and female, often show off their bodies when they compete. But they're competing for sport, not indulging in life-or-death warfare. Female characters wearing the skin-baring outfits that some of the JL Amazons wear to fight alien invaders -- and all the various excuses that viewers come up with in order to "justify" these female characters being dressed this way -- is the sort of fapping idiocy that male-targeted sci-fi and fantasy is rightfully mocked for.

Feel free to dig up any JL production images of male Atlantean soldiers or male human warriors with their abs on display to show just how very liberated and empowered these filmmakers are when it comes to body conformity. Hell, even Jason Momoa is fully covered in neck-to-toe armor when he shows up to fight.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes. Or Batman wearing a cape, for example.

Exactly. Because it's about the imagery much more than practicality. Batman is a a bat so he has to have wings, which is what the cape represents.
Amazons are weird mythological warrior women that live on lesbian bondage island. Even in WW they are still wearing what amounts to iron and leather swimsuits rather than anything
a warrior would ever wear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

In the WW film, the Amazons went into battle with functional and well-designed armor. The same Amazon who wore that functional armor in WW is now dressed much skimpier and more revealingly in JL for no apparent reason, and she's just one of multiple examples.

OK, so why are their thighs bare in WW?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To be fair, if you're wearing any armor at all it's going on the chest and tummy. And head I guess.

This is sort of a funny conversation to be having given how Snyder dressed his Spartan musclebois.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

BrianWilly posted:

Feel free to dig up any JL production images of male Atlantean soldiers or male human warriors with their abs on display to show just how very liberated and empowered these filmmakers are when it comes to body conformity. Hell, even Jason Momoa is fully covered in neck-to-toe armor when he shows up to fight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

This is sort of a funny conversation to be having given how Snyder dressed his Spartan musclebois.

The men in JL are clearly sexualized as well, yet people only ever seem to notice when it's something that has a TV Tropes entry.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

OK, so why are their thighs bare in WW?
Fidelity to bona fide historical armor design, which prioritized the protection of the torso while leaving the limbs more freedom of movement. It wasn't a matter of modesty but of function.

This is a production image from BvS, not Justice League.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Oh gtfo with that "you're the ones trying to shame women by wanting to cover her up!!" bullshit.

Seriously!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If you're against enemies shooting lasers, your leather armor is not practical. Probably better to go nearly nude at that point.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Ha. OK I have no idea, just googled aquaman justice league and that was there. But you did say:

BrianWilly posted:

to show just how very liberated and empowered these filmmakers

And it is the same filmmakers so...

But you are right, this is not historically accurate Atlantean armour.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

porfiria posted:

Yeah, the normal thing that happens when you bring up the guys in 300 is that someone points out that the guys in that movie are dressed that way to show off their powerful physiques, while the chainmail bikini wearer isn't, so it's not actually equal treatment. The idea being that it would be different if the scantily-dressed women were also being celebrated for their strength. But apparently that didn't actually matter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So the new excuse now is that Snyder showed off men in a completely different film eleven years ago so it's okay for him to show off women now in this film?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

Fidelity to bona fide historical armor design, which prioritized the protection of the torso while leaving the limbs more freedom of movement. It wasn't a matter of modesty but of function.

But the 'fidelity' is purely aesthetic. Why don't the Amazons have one breast removed? Why doesn't Ares show up nude?

BrianWilly posted:

So the new excuse now is that Snyder showed off men in a completely different film eleven years ago so it's okay for him to show off women now in this film?

Patti Jenkins "showed off" women in the film, Wonder Woman.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

what's being exploited is the covering-up itself. Femsploitation in place of sexsploitation. The prospect of not seeing an rear end carries an incredibly strong appeal for some people, and companies are very ready to capitalize on that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The phrase 'show off women' is very strange.

I suppose if you want to look at it like that he showed off muscles. What difference does the gender of the rest of the person make?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Seriously, the women in this current crop of pictures have intimidatingly ripped abs. The 300 comparison seems more apt than anything else, except that those men are actually more likely to be sexually objectified in most audiences' eyes by that portrayal.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I want to see Joss Whedon's tummy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, the normal thing that happens when you bring up the guys in 300 is that someone points out that the guys in that movie are dressed that way to show off their powerful physiques, while the chainmail bikini wearer isn't, so it's not actually equal treatment. The idea being that it would be different if the scantily-dressed women were also being celebrated for their strength. But apparently that didn't actually matter.

I don't know what most of y'all are looking at, but I'm looking at her physique. She looks like could crush someone's skull doing a sit-up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I don't know what most of y'all are looking at, but I'm looking at her physique. She looks like could crush someone's skull doing a sit-up.

Which is a different kind of eroticization. If you were looking for a problematic sexual element, it would be that her outfit is designed to display her prominent musculature (ie. thighs, arms, back, abs), not that the immortal demigod curiously lacks protection from a fuckin' leather cuirass.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I wasn't excusing anything because it's not clear to me what needs to be excused. I honestly thought the problem wasn't the basic idea of celebrating a woman's physique, but rather what physiques were being celebrated and why and what that embodies about how women are viewed in our society.

I'm very open to hearing what I've misunderstood. My reference to 300 was because it was actually a common element used in these arguments (that happens to be from the same director), with my having many times read that the difference between it and the typical scantily-clad woman in a movie is that the men were being celebrated for their physical power (even if this contains an erotic element) and the women weren't. I'm not suggesting you're responsible for this argument, just contextualizing my confusion here.

What I'm reading now is that this difference is actually irrelevant. That the problem was never the stereotypes to which bodies were being conformed, but anything which would "show off" a woman. So I'm hoping you explain the problem.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But the 'fidelity' is purely aesthetic. Why don't the Amazons have one breast removed? Why doesn't Ares show up nude?
In the former case because that's a ridiculous quirk to attach to the Amazons which was invented by men who had no idea how a boob actually works. In the latter case because David Thewlis doesn't have the body for it.

Patti Jenkins "showed off" women in the film, Wonder Woman.
The aesthetic difference between that film and this one is the exact contention being made. Jenkins managed show off women to women and for women without having to say "Hey look how much more powerful and Amazonian you feel if you just show off your abs in a field of battle!"

I don't know what Snyder is ultimately going to do because I won't see the film for three more days but if his "aesthetics" just so happen to feature bikini armor in completely unsuitable contexts and exclusively for female characters, then I would suggest that the reasoning and premise of those "aesthetics" be thoroughly criticized.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I suppose if you want to look at it like that he showed off muscles. What difference does the gender of the rest of the person make?
I suppose this whole "I don't see gender, everyone's the same to me!" rationale might possibly fly if men and women had traditionally been treated equally in film depictions and genre media. But they clearly haven't received equal treatment, especially in this film where male warriors are fully armored while female warriors just get one excuse after another to ride into battle half-dressed (in contrast to a lead-in film where they very notably did not do that), so it's important to note and criticize that sort of double-standard.

Because if our new excuse for depicting scantily-clad women is that it's okay as long as they've done crunches, then all we're going to end up with is movie after movie where muscular women are disproportionately sexualized for male consumption.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It just seems a tad arbitrary to claim that one costume design is not celebrating the physique and strength of the performer, when I can think of literally no examples from mainstream cinema in which a woman of that physique has been portrayed in that manner. Nothing about the nakedness of her costume looks invitational or possessive, which is a key component of conventional objectification of women - she looks sharp, rigid, and oppositional. It doesn't strike me as at all similar to technically more attired costumes of characters like Black Widow, or Wonder Woman, or even characters portrayed in action movies by loving Gina Carano and Ronda Rousey.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Because if our new excuse for depicting scantily-clad women is that it's okay as long as they've done crunches, then all we're going to end up with is movie after movie where muscular women are disproportionately sexualized for male consumption.
Imagine we're talking about a morbidly obese Amazonian women instead, showing off her midriff and everything. You're saying that if it becomes acceptable to show off her body in a movie, men will just automatically start to jerk it to her? Or what.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrianWilly posted:

In the former case because that's a ridiculous quirk to attach to the Amazons which was invented by men who had no idea how a boob actually works.

Uhh you are aware of the origin of Wonder Woman, right?

quote:

The aesthetic difference between that film and this one is the exact contention being made. Jenkins managed show off women to women and for women without having to say "Hey look how much more powerful and Amazonian you feel if you just show off your abs in a field of battle!

This is corporatized Maybelline feminism. "To Women, For Women?" What the hell? You can't seriously believe this foolishness.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Glad this thread found something different to argue about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wonder Woman was invented by a man with a femdom kink. If you were making a film for women, directed at women, you'd throw the whole thing out and start fresh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

UmOk posted:

Glad this thread found something different to argue about.

Here's something Gal posted to her instagram: her and Ray Fisher throwing a football around during a photoshoot :allears:

https://twitter.com/badpostray/status/930162684112318464

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

She is inappropriately attired to play football. I will NOT be seeing this movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

K. Waste posted:

She looks like could crush someone's skull doing a sit-up.

Hey, spoilers!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Electromax posted:

Hey, spoilers!
"Tell that to Zod's ripped abs."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The aesthetic difference between that film and this one is the exact contention being made. Jenkins managed show off women to women and for women without having to say "Hey look how much more powerful and Amazonian you feel if you just show off your abs in a field of battle!"

That doesn't strike me as what those costumes are doing. Snyder puts people and things on show because he thinks they're awesome.

Most of the titillation for a skimpy outfit is the outfit, not what it reveals. A dress with slit along one leg reveals less than a pair of knee-length jorts, but it accentuates the act of revealing.

I don't see that here. The idea is actually to reveal. It's not about the idea of a leather bikini.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm watching Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition right now and this movie is so good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, just as an example:

https://i.imgur.com/4oP4bWH.gifv

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

I'm watching Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition right now and this movie is so good.
:yeah:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

teagone posted:

Um, I think you will find it is actually bad because CGI and establishing shots.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

teagone posted:

I too prefer my Batmen to be The Punisher instead of Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jiro posted:

I too prefer my Batmen to be The Punisher instead of Batman.

This is an own on yourself for being this dense.