Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Medullah posted:

Amazon should have just picked up Dragonlance. It's essentially the same as Lord of the Rings, and after the poo poo attempt at making an animated movie I'm sure the rights are cheap.

Edit - actually best of both worlds, Lord of the Rings archetypes with DRAGONS!

Or just even Forgotten Realms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with doing Amber as a series is that it doesn't have an ending.

Yes it does, if they just do the Corey stuff.

Which would be fine

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Librarians comes back in one month.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Or just even Forgotten Realms.

I'm completely baffled that nobody has jumped on doing a Drizzt series yet, I can only think they're stuck trying to decide if they want to do Elf Blackface (which would make people mad) or just hire a black guy to play Drizzt (which would make a lot of nerds furious because they're terrible and racist)

edit: hahaha oh... oh no... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYL-cqnNfc4

precision fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 14, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out there is an Amber adaptation in pre-production, or at least there was an announcement of one last year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

The Librarians comes back in one month.

I love Lindy Booth.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Next up on the pervert hit parade,

https://twitter.com/gdanielholloway/status/930266900113657856

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes it does, if they just do the Corey stuff.

Which would be fine

Oh God yes, the Merlin stuff is dire.

-Blackadder- posted:

That Amazon LOTR series is such an unbelievably lazy and bad idea, especially since, as has been pointed out, there are so many other works they could mine...

Gor

Leaving aside the question of Gor's merits or lack thereof, I'm trying to think of a series less suited to the current climate. Maybe Xanth?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Xanth: Dad Jokes, the series.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Meanwhile, who called Marc Guggenheim?

https://twitter.com/offtothegraces/status/930228958355849216

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

God drat it Marc, why do you got to be a dbag too?

Also I'm waiting for Gillian Anderson to come out making GBS threads on everyone on the X-Files.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Also I'm waiting for Gillian Anderson to come out making GBS threads on everyone on the X-Files.

I'm worried that Duconvy is a rotten piece of this just because he wants to bang every woman on earth.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm worried that Duconvy is a rotten piece of this just because he wants to bang every woman on earth.

Honestly, I don't think Gillian would put up with his poo poo if he was a huge sleezy dirtbag. Everyone knows he wants to gently caress everyone already. That's no secret.

I mean more the people who don't let any women into the X-Files writers room.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

I think that there are more than enough women willing to gently caress him that he's never had to be sleazy about it. I mean he is a very attractive man.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I think that there are more than enough women willing to gently caress him that he's never had to be sleazy about it. I mean he is a very attractive man.

Attractive’s got nothing to do with it. But I’d like to think you can be a horny sonuvabitch and still respect personhood and the meaning of the word no. Like Hozier says:

https://twitter.com/hozier/status/929027382870192128

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I often wonder if the hopefulness and heroism in The Lord of the Rings would resonate as well in a cynical age, encapsulated not least by Game of Thrones. They’re such fundamentally different shows.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

whowhatwhere posted:

Leaving aside the question of Gor's merits or lack thereof, I'm trying to think of a series less suited to the current climate. Maybe Xanth?
Haha, Xanth brings back memories. Oh Piers, you rascale.

Anyway, in regards to Gor, the same could be said of Conan/Robert E. Howard Universe, which in addition is also pretty racist.

Personally, I'm just sick of all of the adaptions of tepid, lovely modern YA novels by first time writers with zero talent, and just want to see some good classic sci-fi/fantasy series' done. And if the writers have to sanitize the source material of some of these adaptions so that, for example, Elric doesn't want to Melnibone his own cousin, then I'm perfectly fine with that, as long he still get's to summon demons to make blood pacts with and turn people into puree with Stormbringer.

And afterall It turned out just fine despite the incredibly unfortunate loss of that one pivotal scene of extremely important character development.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 14, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles: The Series

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apparently the LOTR series is a prequel series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They aren't just going to remake the same thing with Frodo or Bilbo. It's probably going to be like Rogue One: A Middle Earth Story

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

They aren't just going to remake the same thing with Frodo or Bilbo. It's probably going to be like Rogue One: A Middle Earth Story

That doesn't exactly fill me with confidence

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
My guess is the show will follow around "young" Aragorn.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Weren't there actual lawsuits against Chris Carter a while ago?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm 100% certain piers anthony is a legitimate no-fooling capital-P Pedophile

DivisionPost posted:

Attractive’s got nothing to do with it. But I’d like to think you can be a horny sonuvabitch and still respect personhood and the meaning of the word no. Like Hozier says:

https://twitter.com/hozier/status/929027382870192128

yeah that's fair. i just think it's probable that duchovny is okay.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Apparently the LOTR series is a prequel series.

You mean The Hobbit

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Like I said, probably the only thing that would be worse to adapt than Gor.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Big budget live-action Billy Bat

You could legit do a long-form show based on any of Urasawa's works. I'd kill to see 20th Century Boys or Monster adapted into a television series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Like I said, probably the only thing that would be worse to adapt than Gor.

about 15 years ago a bunch of people i knew got super concerned when a woman we knew got into a relationship with a Gor fan. they would go out with her wearing a slave collar with a chain and ask his permission to smoke or drink. he was also an insufferable nerd. she was super cool and attractive and we all were perplexed. then they disappeared entirely. i'm legit worried she's been cut into pieces or something. gently caress Gor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

Wasn't that Shadow of Mordor/War?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

He used to write about his incredibly young female fans in the afterwards if his books. I have no doubt that he's partaken. gently caress that dude.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Amazon spend $250 million to acquire the rights to make the show, and that's before production has even started. A show like this will probably be at least $100 mill per season right? These costs are staggering.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

yeah that's fair. i just think it's probable that duchovny is okay.

Can someone accuse Piers Morgan of something. This poo poo's getting out of hand and all the real twats are sitting pretty.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mu Zeta posted:

So Amazon spend $250 million to acquire the rights to make the show, and that's before production has even started. A show like this will probably be at least $100 mill per season right? These costs are staggering.

It'll focus on the human and elf races, that way they don't have to spend money on SFX for hobbits or dwarves

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the tv or movie adaptation of A Handbook for Mortals.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davros1 posted:

It'll focus on the human and elf races, that way they don't have to spend money on SFX for hobbits or dwarves

It's all right, Peter Dinklage needs work next year

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is netflix still doing the Witcher series? I really hope they don't gently caress it up.

e: Also I could see a Forgotten Realms show being expensive otherwise it would be super gaudy. You can't walk three feet in that world without tripping over some crazy magic or uber powerful artifacts. But I don't really know a ton about effects and stuff so I could be talking out my rear end.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 14, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goodbye, The Mindy Project! You got so much better once you went to Hulu. Finale was rushed and imperfect but still v. sweet

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to the folks who encouraged me to keep watching Gotham. I was bullish on the first couple episodes but man the latter half of the first season got real grim and way less focused on the kids. This'll fill my "I feel like watching something and I like comics so...." niche real well.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

precision posted:

There's a rumor going around that he flies one of his daughter's friends to Vancouver every weekend to have sex with her...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norwegian Rudo posted:

There's a rumor going around that he flies one of his daughter's friends to Vancouver every weekend to have sex with her...

She's old enough and willing right?

• Locked thread