Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

This gonna be good

I want polls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/govgoogles/status/930224324505505792

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Recoome posted:

Ehhh I felt like she had a lot of baggage from the ADF and it really wasn't helping

On the other hand, the ADF stuff meant that she got really commited to fighting the government loving over the little guy like post-ADF-vets sometimes, which was great.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Jacqui Lambie was bad in many many ways but unlike the vast majority of parliamentarians she had some redeeming features. Much like Ricky Muir. It’s almost as if the career political class should be guillotined en masse.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Tim_Beshara/status/930204210821394432

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

welcome 2 geohell

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Comedy option: John Alexander doesn't receive his renunciation paperwork from the British embassy until it's too late for the by-election.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Comedy option: John Alexander doesn't receive his renunciation paperwork from the British embassy until it's too late for the by-election.

I talked about this, take me off ignore

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
comedier option: jacqui lambie run for bennelong

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

I talked about this, take me off ignore

but i don't have you on ignore

https://twitter.com/TwoEyeHead/status/925173478902206464

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Turns out immigrants really were stealing all the (senate) jobs.

I'm still in love with this whole scenario. If it happened to some average working class job I'd be real cut up about some stupid xenophobic law loving over people just trying to live their lives. Senators? gently caress em. That they got brought down by such stupid circumstances just makes it even better..

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Former NSW premier Mike Baird was paid almost $900,000 for his first five months as the head of National Australia Bank’s institutional banking.

NAB’s annual report for the year to September 30 shows Mr Baird, who took up his role on April 21, received total remuneration of $886,845, including $763,520 of cash in salary and short-term incentives. This is more than double the $387,600 the NSW premier is paid.

If the same remuneration was annualised, this would equate to $2.1 million.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Former NSW premier Mike Baird was paid almost $900,000 for his first five months as the head of National Australia Bank’s institutional banking.

NAB’s annual report for the year to September 30 shows Mr Baird, who took up his role on April 21, received total remuneration of $886,845, including $763,520 of cash in salary and short-term incentives. This is more than double the $387,600 the NSW premier is paid.

So that's how he's funding his bets at the dog track

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Edit: well, that's embarrassing. Still, I propose guillotine.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Intoluene posted:

Edit: well, that's embarrassing. Still, I propose guillotine.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

we've always been at war with Eurasia each other

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was reading on the Guardian the other day that the head of Bet365 gave herself a yearly wage of something like 200 million British Pounds.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coucho Marx posted:

we've always been at war with Eurasia each other

Excellent.

Better outcome for the bill, and Turnbull puts himself right back in the situation with his party that this stupid survey was meant to help him with.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Even if Yes wins the conservatives can just delay and decay any bill put forward that isn't their own. Till they are all kicked out.

Naturally this probably means a leadership spill if Turnbull backs a neutral ALP bill.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
How strange.

I wasn't expecting to see any spine from Turnbull until Shorten ripped it out of his body at the next election.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Turnbull needs to think about his legacy at this stage. If I were him I'd just go gently caress it lets rock and ram the thing through by any means and be remembered as the bloke that did one thing right and paid the ultimate price for his righteousness.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Even if Yes wins the conservatives can just delay and decay any bill put forward that isn't their own. Till they are all kicked out.

Naturally this probably means a leadership spill if Turnbull backs a neutral ALP bill.
Do they have the numbers do to that, though? Because all ALP needs is a few LNP MPs to cross the floor and it's done. The LNP conservatives know this and their bill is a desperate bid to try to regain some kind of relevance in the SSM legislation process.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I think more laws should have opt-outs written into them

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Turnbull needs to think about his legacy at this stage. If I were him I'd just go gently caress it lets rock and ram the thing through by any means and be remembered as the bloke that did one thing right and paid the ultimate price for his righteousness.

I think you're on the ball with this one.

Man, this is how it feels the two times a day when Lambie's right.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Do they have the numbers do to that, though? Because all ALP needs is a few LNP MPs to cross the floor and it's done. The LNP conservatives know this and their bill is a desperate bid to try to regain some kind of relevance in the SSM legislation process.

I expect Malcolm knows that he has Entsch, Pyne, Frydenberg and Bishop in his corner and that's really all he needs to get a non-lovely bill through the house. Likewise in the senate, Brandis, Birmingham and a few others + the ALP, lionhat, Xenophon and the Greens would sail it through comfortably.

He pretty much has no other choice than to say gently caress you to Abbott, and I think his approval rating will actually bounce back into the 40s if he pulls it off without making a huge mess of it all.

Which he won't, but eh.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

JBP posted:

Yeah, Turnbull has nothing left to offer except a big ol' "gently caress you" to the Abbott crew.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Lab + Bandt + Wilkie is 71, so four more will do it (speaker says he won't create or break a tie, so 75-74 passes. But also vacancies fucks up the math, so...). Sharkie is still there for now, dunno her position, same with McGowan. Smith will vote for his own bill. So it would only take 1-4ish Lib/Nats to cross the floor and it's all over.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm so pleased to see Turnbull come out and say that. The media hasn't even really bashed this bill for what it is ("you want to claw back a human right? Then we get to kick you even more!") so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's result all the more.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The core of the issue is that Turnbull has been trying to keep the lid on a rapidly bubbling over LNP saucepan and it is very clearly a struggle he cannot win. It'd just be better for him if he let it boil over and resolve the conflict of ideologies within the LNP, because it's become very apparent that the hardline conservative policies are not palatable to the majority of the electorate and as long as the LNP has a hardline conservative faction near or at the top they're just going to drag the party down in polls.

What I hope happens, though, is they just continue the constant infighting until the whole shitshow unravels at the seams and the LNP explodes into a few splinter parties.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

I think you're on the ball with this one.

Man, this is how it feels the two times a day when Lambie's right.

I'm always right on realpolitik bud.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I make Bill Clinton look like Tony Blair.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

If he is doing that it's too late and he'll get all the negatives with none of the credit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

If he is doing that it's too late and he'll get all the negatives with none of the credit.

That's not true. They're going to get monstered at the next election and he will live to tell the tale on television if he takes the reins now and says gently caress it. It's an easy story to tell as "Turnbull was forced to stare down hard right ideologues in own party on bloody trail to gay marriage" and his people in society (rich liberals) will love it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

JBP posted:

Just like 2009 :v:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

That's not true. They're going to get monstered at the next election and he will live to tell the tale on television if he takes the reins now and says gently caress it. It's an easy story to tell as "Turnbull was forced to stare down hard right ideologues in own party on bloody trail to gay marriage" and his people in society (rich liberals) will love it.

I can only really see it working if he went full burning bridges and acknowledging loving up in trying to appease the far right of the party for so long.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wheezle posted:

Just like 2009 :v:

He's the prime minister. It's not going to be rocket science to get SSM done, claim the win as often as possible and then in twenty years be lauded for it, or at the very least have kids going "well at least he did this one thing" a la Howard gun buyback.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The problem is Turnbull doesn't have the ideological care factor to push back. He doesn't need a directorship or an industry lobbyist job after politics and everyone knows that. This is literally a company director playing statesman, to the extent he's invested in anything it's ego. We're long past pretending he has principles.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Coucho Marx posted:

Lab + Bandt + Wilkie is 71, so four more will do it (speaker says he won't create or break a tie, so 75-74 passes. But also vacancies fucks up the math, so...). Sharkie is still there for now, dunno her position, same with McGowan. Smith will vote for his own bill. So it would only take 1-4ish Lib/Nats to cross the floor and it's all over.

Not all labor mps support it with maybe 3 or 4 pretty uncommitted. All the crossbenchers but katter support ssm though. I think I worked it out based on alp members who have confirmed in favour and it's 6 or 7 libs/nats needed if I recall correctly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

I can only really see it working if he went full burning bridges and acknowledging loving up in trying to appease the far right of the party for so long.

He's demonstrably vindictive enough to do this if there's nothing left to lose, which there isn't.

ewe2 posted:

The problem is Turnbull doesn't have the ideological care factor to push back. He doesn't need a directorship or an industry lobbyist job after politics and everyone knows that. This is literally a company director playing statesman, to the extent he's invested in anything it's ego. We're long past pretending he has principles.

I am advocating that he make this move based on ego to establish his legacy, not to feel good that he did it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Not all labor mps support it with maybe 3 or 4 pretty uncommitted. All the crossbenchers but katter support ssm though. I think I worked it out based on alp members who have confirmed in favour and it's 6 or 7 libs/nats needed if I recall correctly.

Not if Labor whip over it, why would Labor allow a conscience vote if Yes wins?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'm a bisexual trans woman from a regional city who gets to deal with high schoolers laughing and yelling "fag" at me when I walk to work, you're a little off the mark here

Still makes what you said no less loving stupid.

Seriously, go back and reread what you wrote and take a moment to think about just how loving horrible a life your idea would make for every LGBT person.

Maybe you would be lucky enough to avoid the worst of it. Most would not.

Or, let me put this another way - you're on the same side as Tony Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not if Labor whip over it, why would Labor allow a conscience vote if Yes wins?

Exactly this. None of the conservative ALP members have the spine to lose their jobs over principle.

• Locked thread