Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
tbf that's every game of Dominions that's not a MA Marignon victory

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

TheDemon posted:

tbf that's every game of Dominions that's not a MA Marignon victory

i didn't gently caress the world too badly when I essentially won an all ages game as jomon (it dies about 4 turns before I could take the last throne I needed)

I just filled it with dragons

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Throne-ninja victories end before the world is busted

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:golfclap:
This is pretty much how I see it ending. Gath bought victory for a terrible price. :dominions:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

Also, since your LP is now over, can I just post my own leftover-turns to show what happened on my end? Last Saturday I was this close to record more commentary, but then I had to visit relatives, so it was a bust (On Sunday I played Space Empires V for 12 hours straight, which didn't help exactly, either)

I still want to finish my video LP, though! This weekend it looks like I can finally sit down and record stuff without some emergency stopping me.

Please feel free! I'll enjoy watching the last dozen turns from your perspective!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
The most revealing and horrifying part of this whole lp was when How Are U showed us the "boring part" of the turn logs and revealed just how many "filthy bandits" the wolf patrols were killing every turn in every province. It's on the order of a few dozen in every province every turn.

Now I'm sure that Gath has bigger problems, but still, that seems like a lot. We don't even know how many citizens were maimed by the wolf police, or how many were displaced fleeing one wolf patrol in their home province only to encounter another wolf patrol in another province.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind like 99% of those filthy bandits are people who are angry about the blood hunting. You know, the dudes wandering around the province grabbing every virgin they can find, to use in blood sacrifice to create vampires and summon demons constantly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Leperflesh posted:

Keep in mind like 99% of those filthy bandits are people who are angry about the blood hunting. You know, the dudes wandering around the province grabbing every virgin they can find, to use in blood sacrifice to create vampires and summon demons constantly.

"You bastards took my daughter!"
"National security, sir. She was necessary to the war effort."
"She was seven!"
"Yeah, I was surprised. Usually we get them by five."
"You son of a bitch! I'm going to the capital, I'll take my case to the government!" *steps outside, is promptly eaten by wolves*
"Third one today. If we get two more we get a bonus."

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"You bastards took my daughter!"
"National security, sir. She was necessary to the war effort."
"She was seven!"
"Yeah, I was surprised. Usually we get them by five."
"You son of a bitch! I'm going to the capital, I'll take my case to the government!" *steps outside, is promptly eaten by wolves*
"Third one today. If we get two more we get a bonus."

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That wolf is neither tiny nor hosed up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Gath barely even exists anymore. It's a bunch of terrified people huddled in perpetual night, afraid to go outside because they'll either get abducted to be sacrificed to summon demons or eaten by wolves. Or both, if they resist when the Gath Police K-9 Unit comes to take their daughters. They can't grow crops because there is no sun, so they're slowly starving to death trying to ration the tiny amounts of food they still have left, again because foraging or hunting risks getting eaten by roving packs of wolves.

Somewhat ironically, the Gath citizens who are best off are the dozens who get seduced and turned into vampires every month, because at least they still have some kind of food supply.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's got enough gems to have all those cattlecitizens live for years on broth and wine.

Caros
May 14, 2008

goatface posted:

He's got enough gems to have all those cattlecitizens live for years on broth and wine.

Making a lot of assumptions here.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I wonder if widespread lower order iron deficiency is a problem for vampires.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Incoming Video! :siren:

As promised, here's the first of my endgame-turns.

Also don't worry, when I recorded my commentary today I found out my stash of uncommented recordings is smaller then I remember. After today, there are only like 5-6 videos left, the rest was done with commentary already integrated. So this means I only have to make 5-6 more audio commentaries and I'm done: The rest only has to be cut, rendered and uploaded!

Anyway, here's the video:

Caelum Turn 88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKv6D5dCHc

This turn was basically just me moving armies around and some random fighting. It's one of these annoying turns where even though nothing of note happens, there's a lot of busywork to be done. (I'm just hoping you're not secretly creeped out about how blasé I am about throwing away hundreds of birdmen)

In case you're wondering what happened before that: Older Caelum-turns are this way.

Koriar
Apr 22, 2010
Just wanted to say this has been one of my favorite Dom4 LPs from the beginning and the only one I've followed live that has actually finished. Thanks for the ride!

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016

How are u posted:

:golfclap:
This is pretty much how I see it ending. Gath bought victory for a terrible price. :dominions:

wow wow hold on. Our God won right? and he is a loving and benevolent God. I choose to believe that He will make things right again. :colbert:

Make Gath great again

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
CNN presents

another Caelum-turn:

Caelum Turn 89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5qmeBaCHvk

I'm experimenting some more with the spell Tartarian Gate and move troops around to prepare another massive offensive into Bogarus. Also some more insight into using air gems to create undead armies.

Last turn.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Dominions 5 was announced today, if you're the sort of loser who doesn't read the main Dom4 thread and need to have it said via Let's Play.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm really glad I managed to finish this thing before 5 was announced haha. That really would have sapped motivation!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Dominions 5 was announced today, if you're the sort of loser who doesn't read the main Dom4 thread and need to have it said via Let's Play.
Have they said what they're changing?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Zereth posted:

Have they said what they're changing?

Have you tried looking into the Dom4 Games thread? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

I'm really glad I managed to finish this thing before 5 was announced haha. That really would have sapped motivation!

Same, just with almost finished instead. But seriously, I'm glad I'm down to like 6 commentaries I have to record: After that, I just have to throw my raw recordings into my editor to re-render it. And there aren't even that many of them left either, last I checked. (I've probably missed some turns again at some point, or it's just my "I'm Bad at Math" curse showing its ugly face again. :v: )

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShymQAeRbKc

Not much to say here, again I'm mostly busy with just moving my armies around and into position for the next wave of attacks.

Turn 89

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Same, just with almost finished instead. But seriously, I'm glad I'm down to like 6 commentaries I have to record: After that, I just have to throw my raw recordings into my editor to re-render it. And there aren't even that many of them left either, last I checked. (I've probably missed some turns again at some point, or it's just my "I'm Bad at Math" curse showing its ugly face again. :v: )

I'm glad you are doing this for completeness sake but it's almost depressing to watch the amount of work each turn going into what you are almost certain is a lost cause.

HOWRU notes developing Vampires as a key turning point in the game. My impression is they are OP to the point that they overshadow other clever/cool combinations I've seen with blood magic in other games. Would things have been markedly different without the vamps or was breaking heavily into blood magic more important?

Even with that the Dom 4 endgames seem a lot more interesting than the tartarian-heavy endgames we've seen here from Dom 3 games.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Araganzar posted:

HOWRU notes developing Vampires as a key turning point in the game. My impression is they are OP to the point that they overshadow other clever/cool combinations I've seen with blood magic in other games. Would things have been markedly different without the vamps or was breaking heavily into blood magic more important?

Breaking into Vampires (by empowering that one Yeddeoni mage into Blood magic) was absolutely a turning point. They're hecka overpowered in vanilla Dominions 4, even if you don't have the ability to Blood Sacrifice. They're about the most perfect defensive unit you could ask for, combining excellent magic paths (skele-spam and Plague against armies, Leech and Hellbind Heart against raiding thugs) with fantastic mobility. Additionally, Vampire Lords that aren't being actively used in defensive fighting aren't even wasting their time, because they can sit there and slowly summon lesser vampires until you form hideous death-balls of immortal :fuckoff:

They very much needed a nerf in Dom4. Many mechanics seem to be being tweaked for Dominions 5, so we'll see how they end up!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

I'm glad you are doing this for completeness sake but it's almost depressing to watch the amount of work each turn going into what you are almost certain is a lost cause.

Even with that the Dom 4 endgames seem a lot more interesting than the tartarian-heavy endgames we've seen here from Dom 3 games.

Vampires are OP to the point you're wondering why there are any non-vampires left in the world after a certain point. I'm guessing someone has to be left to feed them

Anyway, Vampires and their ilk are ridiculous. In the first Mo Money game, I had hordes of undeads lead by vampire lords on my side, and my main enemy was Agharta with hordes of (normally far too expensive) blindfighters: Magical units who are blind and sacred. The important point is, being blind makes them immune to darkness -and every undead-heavy army at some point drops Darkness to destroy the armies of the living.

The entire game was basically this stupid arms race between me and Agharta, with me first sending in absurdly large stacks of air mages to drop thunder strikes like goddamn WWI-artillery barrages. Then he countered with so many blindfighters he could just soak up my magic and push through. Cue me slowly switching to undead hordes lead by vampire lords, which in turn made him use more magic (and endless hordes of his sacreds) trying to stem the tide.

This never got resolved, by the way. In the end we summoned so many skeletons in every battle, the game started crashing and was finally abandoned.

Back on topic, a couple dozen vampire lords successfully replaced armies of 100+ air mages. If you think about it, this is incredible: My vampire lords survived and won battles where over a hundred air mages failed.

I'm only not complaining because scripting literally hundreds of mages is mind cancer and there is nothing quite like the relief you feel when your giant mage stacks are getting slaughtered...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 91

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USYF2oI6pAQ

It's autumn in Dominion-Land and Bogarus is at it again. What is this wily player planning???

Turn 90

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And just over a month late, the next Caelum turn:

Caelum Turn 92

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJpfwDRK5r8

Things are starting to heat up (slowly)!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And the next batch is ready:

Caelum Turn 93

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTd09OcZIE

This turn only barely made it: I forgot to make a recording just until I was nearly done with the turn. Of course this means this time my pointless rambling is done in under 10 minutes, so the torture-level of this episode is only medium.

Caelum Turn 94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bYbRx36qFg

And finally, we reach the point where darkness covers the land: Ramc's secret plan is revealed and it turns out, it was my secret plan all along! Muhahahahahha :getin:

Edit:

Right now I'm at 2 commentaries left I will have to record, the rest of my turns were done with another software, and already have commentary attached. So be prepared to endure a full barrage of videos soon!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DazMjUv_8

Darkness covers the world, and dozens of Caelumite mages are recreating Frankenstein's monster hundreds of times over. The Undead Engine is up and running.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 96

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjtwqFsTVo

Another video of me ranting about some poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxO2SzjTs1o

Blast from the past: All my recordings without audio are done now, this is the first of the ones where I didn't have to make extra after-commentary.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just found this LP and blitzed it, totally amazing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfi-zSYL4M

Some more preparations and stuff.

Caelum Turn 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yvFMr3_so

This video is nearly 42 minutes long. I'm so sorry.

Caelum Turn 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyb8qFbWNfA

Our first horde of Frankensteins is underway. The final battles are looming ahead.

Older turns

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And another round of videos! The end is getting real close now.

Caelum Turn 101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-jc2D4OzD0

This turn: The Undead Engine is up and running, dabbling around with a demon and finally I decide that Pangaea's player is gone for good.

Caelum Turn 102

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GERFUh_npsY

Another oversized episode. 34 minutes of painfun! Multiple battles are resolved and it looks like Pangaea left us a nice underwater-surprise!

Caelum Turn 103

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTxbn9GZvhk

By now, Gath (our ally) has become so powerful even being close to him hurts us. Since the audio commentary is a year old however, I'm still mostly blissfully unaware about his impending victory.

Caelum Turn 104

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfaEBb4o9yM

Jump to 12:19 if you want to see something funny. Other things happening this turn: My first undead horde has its first (very costly) victory, we make progress underwater against Pangaea, my chances to win are zero but I'm still the eternal optimist.

Hey, Eternal Optimist should be a pretender-chassis for Dominions 5, I should get in touch with the devs!

(Before you're asking, Dom4 is dead, Dom5 is coming November 27th)

Go back in time

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More Turns!

Caelum Turn 105

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1ySbOseys

Ulm is ours, completing our triple-capital set of Jomon, Mictlan and Ulm. But is this enough to win the game?

Caelum Turn 106

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZYAz8s6TLA

More underwater-shenanigans.

Caelum Turn 107

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS2rU6jk7QE

We observe Gath Golems in action, throw some Frankensteins into the ocean and try to decipher Ramc's sense of humor.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Libluini, your dedication does you credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dallbun posted:

Libluini, your dedication does you credit.

Not an emptyquote!

• Locked thread