Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Prodigal Daughter

I've heard tell that this is the weakest episode of the season. If so, bring on the rest of the season! A decent Ezri episode that gives her more depth and personality in one episode than Jadzia got in six seasons, and an episode almost completely bereft of Joining stuff and the apparently vitally important question of which male character is going to be awarded the privilege of boning Ezri.

I want to like Ezri, but man does this show not seem to have any idea what to do with her beyond getting attached to a male character and being an awful (or at least inexperienced, per her introduction) counselor on a station that already has Quark and Vic filling that kind of role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The problem with Jadzia was that she was just a channel to ask "What would Curzon do?" Ezri really made the character her own.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watched Melora last night and it honestly wasn't that bad. Wheel chair lady rightfully pointed out how loving insane and stupid DS9's hallway and door designs are, Klingon Chef, tolerable B plot with quark and a guy who wanted to kill him. It wasn't a stand out episode but there wasn't anything offensively bad about it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

I watched Melora last night and it honestly wasn't that bad. Wheel chair lady rightfully pointed out how loving insane and stupid DS9's hallway and door designs are, Klingon Chef, tolerable B plot with quark and a guy who wanted to kill him. It wasn't a stand out episode but there wasn't anything offensively bad about it.

Melora is just really, really boring. I've never told the few people that I've convinced to watch DS9 to skip it because it's definitely not offensively bad, but I think it's just the sort of episode that nobody really wants to watch twice.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ezrichat:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The Orville's latest episode had an alien going around knowingly chemically coercing people into having sex with him. Let's not pretend The Orville is that good.

I'm glad someone else brought this up.

The love triangle part didn't bother me too much because it was slapstick.

But the Norm-blob had already crossed the line on sexual harassment so many times that it was already uncomfortable, so to have the woman who had already threatened to file a complaint just to be left alone at work get mind-controlled into sleeping with her harasser was uh wtf were they thinking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Emperor's New Cloak

Star Trek... this way of approaching LGBT content is not sexy, is not interesting, and for God's sake is not a good idea.

It's a DS9 mirror universe episode, which means it's dumb filler that tries to be sexy and edgy and fails miserably at both.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The Emperor's New Cloak

Star Trek... this way of approaching LGBT content is not sexy, is not interesting, and for God's sake is not a good idea.

It's a DS9 mirror universe episode, which means it's dumb filler that tries to be sexy and edgy and fails miserably at both.

Rick Berman basically agrees with Malaysia's moral censorship board on LGBT people in media.

A character can do gay stuff but only if they
(1) are unambiguously the villain
(2) repent, or
(3) die

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm glad someone else brought [the latest episode of The Orville] up.

I'm not! There's a whole thread for that series that's been going on for pages about the topic already!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh my bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I very much wanted to hang back for that conversation, but that means revisiting the thread in a week insofar as I can tell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Field of Fire

You know, in the episode where Joran was introduced, he wasn't a serial killer. He was mentally unstable and had rage issues, sure, but as an echo in Dax he was first portrayed as more tragic than anything else. A brilliant but unstable artist as so many are, but as a spooky presence in Dax's mind he was a repressed memory that just wanted to be accepted.

Every subsequent episode featuring Joran, since this is a Dax episode, has featured him turning further and further into a Criminal Minds bad guy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ezri should not be the station's therapist, Ezri should be seeing a therapist.

Still, Boer has vastly more charisma than Farrell and brings a lot to a role that so far has been generally badly used in my opinion, and it shows here with an admittedly interesting story and a nice twist on the bad guy - he and Tuvok show how seriously loving scary Vulcans can be if they want to be.

As for the gun... it makes sense that this is what Starfleet can make when they're really intent on fighting, so of course this is the first and last time we hear about it and none of these fancy toys will ever be used again. Gee, a box of these things would have been really handy on AR-558 and countless other times.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The Virgin Writeup vs. The Chad Livepost

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Only Trek-adjacent and I realize it's not in their control, but good lord I wish The Greatest Generation didn't have to air plugs for other Maximum Fun shows. Each one of them seems to be competing for Qurikiest Podcast Ever, and I never get the skip-a-bunch feature on my player to skip them and not a chunk of the Drunk Shimoda / Next Time bits in the process.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Virgin Writeup vs. The Chad Livepost

Okay, but the Virgin is Picard whilst Chad is Janeway, otherwise you can’t do the joke on the pompadour.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why did Data's disruptor misfire during transport?

Kivas didn't pay for the extended Varon-T

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Welp, I'm officially out. My wife is never going to be seeing this, after her reaction to BSG. And I'm not going to make her uncomfortable by even watching it myself without her.

I'm not trying to talk you or anyone else into watching Discovery, but I think a better description might be useful for anyone who is on the fence about watching the show and/or is sensitive to such subject matter.

The scene is presented as a traumatic PTSD flashback near the end of the episode and is presented the same way as the flashes of being (more traditionally) tortured in a different flashback earlier in the episode. They're shot/edited similar to Picard's flashbacks in First Contact and probably have about the same combined screentime. Because Discovery has looser content restrictions, you're probably going to see more exposed nipples than you are used to from Star Trek, but it isn't gratuitous and definitely not intended to be titillating.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, and on the subject of nipples, it should be clarified that "Klingon titties" are this week's equivalent of "tardigrade nipple clamps," in the sense that it's a tiny split-second detail that's being a little overblown by the online echo chamber.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
In the interest of discussion beyond "Nipples? In my Star Trek?":

I don't think the important take away from the PTSD flashbacks was that he slept with his captor so much as that he chose to in an effort to survive. Its like if Picard had chosen to tell Gul Madred that there were five lights. The number of lights isn't important, its that he would have shown that he was willing to play ball under certain conditions and was starting to break.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would be able to comment but the show leaves no impression on my memory.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cat Hatter posted:

In the interest of discussion beyond "Nipples? In my Star Trek?":

I don't think the important take away from the PTSD flashbacks was that he slept with his captor so much as that he chose to in an effort to survive. Its like if Picard had chosen to tell Gul Madred that there were five lights. The number of lights isn't important, its that he would have shown that he was willing to play ball under certain conditions and was starting to break.

That, and I think a bit of survivor's guilt - he mentions other prisoners that died, and he knows he only survived by collaborating to some degree. Depending on where they end up taking the character, they could really screw this up, but right now I'm pretty impressed with how well they're handling the issues.

EDIT: Wait, are we in the main Trek thread? Can we keep the Discovery chat to the Discovery thread, and keep this free for complaining about twenty+ year old creative decisions?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Every subsequent episode featuring Joran, since this is a Dax episode, has featured him turning further and further into a Criminal Minds bad guy.

Somewhere along the way it turned into, "He killed someone once - that means he's an expert about killing!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Chimera

I've seen discussion of this episode elsewhere as an allegory for homosexuality, that Laas is the openly gay man rejected by society and Odo the deeply closeted or at most bisexual man trying to pass in a homophobic society. I can see why some would read this episode that way, but I don't personally buy it.

I think Odo's writing and character development in general has been spotty during the Dominion War. He keeps swinging between basically a fascist ready to jump into bed with the Founders (and indeed he does) and the brooding, conflicted loner... who's basically a fascist, just a benevolent, it's-for-your-own-good type. A cardinal sin of the writing around Odo's character in these final seasons, I think, is refusing to dwell on and examine his actions during the season six opening arc. There's no fallout for his actions even though the Alpha Quadrant would have fallen due to Odo's inability to keep it in his pants if Sisko hadn't taken a leap of faith.

As it is, I'm stumped by what this episode is supposed to mean or do. Maybe it's setup for later episodes.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Arglebargle III posted:

I would be able to comment but the show leaves no impression on my memory.

i.e. you don’t watch it and you just bitch and troll about it. Got it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Given the HEAVY implications that they are building up towards a "PSYCHE! Tyler is actually Voq, all that was consensual!" "twist" makes me wonder what the hell they think they are doing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angry Salami posted:

That, and I think a bit of survivor's guilt - he mentions other prisoners that died, and he knows he only survived by collaborating to some degree. Depending on where they end up taking the character, they could really screw this up, but right now I'm pretty impressed with how well they're handling the issues.

EDIT: Wait, are we in the main Trek thread? Can we keep the Discovery chat to the Discovery thread, and keep this free for complaining about twenty+ year old creative decisions?

I think some surface level discussion of Star Trek Discovery should be allowed in the Star Trek thread. In depth discussion definitely goes in the other thread though.

AceOfFlames posted:

Given the HEAVY implications that they are building up towards a "PSYCHE! Tyler is actually Voq, all that was consensual!" "twist" makes me wonder what the hell they think they are doing.

If they go that way, I'd actually be impressed with how little they've telegraphed it compared to other *wink, nudge* secrets they've done so far. I'm not saying I'd like it, but I'd be impressed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm not trying to talk you or anyone else into watching Discovery, but I think a better description might be useful for anyone who is on the fence about watching the show and/or is sensitive to such subject matter.

The scene is presented as a traumatic PTSD flashback near the end of the episode and is presented the same way as the flashes of being (more traditionally) tortured in a different flashback earlier in the episode. They're shot/edited similar to Picard's flashbacks in First Contact and probably have about the same combined screentime. Because Discovery has looser content restrictions, you're probably going to see more exposed nipples than you are used to from Star Trek, but it isn't gratuitous and definitely not intended to be titillating.

The PTSD is relevant because my wife has been dealing with that exact thing since before I met her. So, it's not coming into our house.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The PTSD is relevant because my wife has been dealing with that exact thing since before I met her. So, it's not coming into our house.

That's probably a good idea. I just wanted to let anyone else who might be in a similar situation know what they're in for so they can make their own decision. I like the show, but I don't think its good enough to muscle through if you have problems with the subject matter.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I think Odo's writing and character development in general has been spotty during the Dominion War. He keeps swinging between basically a fascist ready to jump into bed with the Founders (and indeed he does) and the brooding, conflicted loner... who's basically a fascist, just a benevolent, it's-for-your-own-good type.

I kinda dug that throughline, though, because it reframes Odo as a character after the reveal. Not sure if it's a line from that episode, but someone points out to Odo that he's been unknowingly run his own mini-Dominion, with him as the Founder, as a Constable. He's not as different as a Founder, deep down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's funny trek always presents aliens as deep down all the same and all differences are down to culture, except the founders seem genetically predisposed towards severe dictatorship and obsession with an extremely structured authority with them in control or they get angry and paranoid.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Chimera

I've seen discussion of this episode elsewhere as an allegory for homosexuality, that Laas is the openly gay man rejected by society and Odo the deeply closeted or at most bisexual man trying to pass in a homophobic society. I can see why some would read this episode that way, but I don't personally buy it.

I think Odo's writing and character development in general has been spotty during the Dominion War. He keeps swinging between basically a fascist ready to jump into bed with the Founders (and indeed he does) and the brooding, conflicted loner... who's basically a fascist, just a benevolent, it's-for-your-own-good type. A cardinal sin of the writing around Odo's character in these final seasons, I think, is refusing to dwell on and examine his actions during the season six opening arc. There's no fallout for his actions even though the Alpha Quadrant would have fallen due to Odo's inability to keep it in his pants if Sisko hadn't taken a leap of faith.

As it is, I'm stumped by what this episode is supposed to mean or do. Maybe it's setup for later episodes.

For me, I felt episodes like "Children of Time" and "Chimera" are, on a certain level, stories about Odo being confronted with his own immortality. It's an issue that never really came up before, probably because Odo was too immersed in the day-to-day business of policing DS9, but alternate-Odo and Laas are glimpses of what he would probably become over a few centuries. Dunno if this is spoilers or not, but I believe these meetings were crucial for the decision he makes in the final episode.

Baronjutter posted:

It's funny trek always presents aliens as deep down all the same and all differences are down to culture, except the founders seem genetically predisposed towards severe dictatorship and obsession with an extremely structured authority with them in control or they get angry and paranoid.
That was at least partially by design. There's an interview or something with Ira Steven Behr discussing the creation of the Dominion, and he emphasized that one of the things he wanted to do with them, as opposed to every other antagonistic Trek race, even the Borg, was to make them more unsettling and alien the more you knew about them.

Also, it may be anti-Trek, but I like the idea that, in a galaxy full of humanoid species we can be friends with, at the end of the day there are still some barriers that cannot be crossed. The Federation can never truly understand the Founders, since all of their society and culture is based in the Great Link, which no humanoid being can ever access. As a result, the Federation can never properly understand the worldview of the Founders, and they are too powerful as a political and military force to just be ignored or steamrolled. Ultimately, the only thing the Federation and Dominion can do is agree to stay out of each other's way.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Rightful Heir. That title is not promising.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Computer: "Lieutenant Worf is in his quarters."
Riker: "Something's wrong."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Rightful Heir. That title is not promising.

Oh, I love that episode. :allears:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf really renovated his quarters

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf earnestly believed he was summoning a ghost

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa this is about religious belief and in an afterlife in particular

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh they're pentecostal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait no judging by the way the priest said "fine go ahead" and guilted Worf they might be Jewish