Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hansen85 posted:

Carrie Fisher's post-ROTJ voice aside, the father of Luke and Leia was never gonna have a rugged , deep voice.

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'll definitely give it a chance through Gamefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdE8S0oi08w

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

teagone posted:

Why not?

Because by my estimation, Luke and Leia's voices in ANH are neither rugged nor deep and that's when they're roughly the same age as Anakin in AOTC.

Isn't this just another variation of the "Anakin wasn't cool enough" argument?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Has nothing to do with the character "being cool." George was always going to write Anakin the way he ended up in AOTC and ROTS. I didn't think Hayden was the right actor for the role, and his voice was part of the reason. Anakin could have had a deeper voice and still be a whiny brat. Heath Ledger could have pulled that off easily.

[edit] Although, appearance wise, I do recall in interviews that George did want young Anakin to have kind of a James Dean look about him. Hayden definitely fit that part, but Heath was just as hearthrob-y back then too :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 14, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Anakin is literally a rebel without a cause

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darth Vader is a broken man in a scary mask. The voice being part of the mask is consistent with that.

So I watched Rogue One and A New Hope today as I continued going through the series chronologically. I have concluded that chronologically is the wrong way to associate these two movies together. It'd have worked much better to do A New Hope then Rogue One.

The one thing that I didn't like much about Rogue One on an initial viewing was that I felt the cadence of the third act, the battle on Scarif, was awkward. On a repeat viewing, I think I identified the specific problem. The battle takes place in four locations and they all have something to contribute to the overall objective of getting the plans away, right? Chirrut and Baze have to throw the switch so that Bodhi can use the radio so that the rebel fleet knows they have to take out the shields so that Jyn and Cassian can make the transmission. That's what ultimately comes into play, although there are other obstacles going on in between.

But there's a weak link in that chain. There's no strong establishment of the need for Bodhi to be involved in the rebels' assault on the shield. It's mentioned a bit in dialog that Admiral Raddus didn't consider the shield to be the top priority, but that's it. Certainly nothing visual.

There's something going on in this movie about the unreliability of voice. There are several instances of unintelligible Imperial radio/loudspeaker chatter, of course. Saw doesn't trust, doesn't even hear, Bodhi's words, and only listens to Galen's hologram after getting the all-clear from his telepathic tentacle pet. Mon Mothma wants Galen to testify before a Senate that's about to be dissolved. There's concern about whether the Alliance will heed trust Galen's warning given that they only have Jyn's word on the matter. Chirrut wants to know whether Cassian has the face of a killer. And, indeed, Cassian makes the decision not to kill Galen while watching him, unable to see. And then there's the line "You can't talk your way around this."

Vision is the contrast. Not only do we have the blind Chirrut, and the aforementioned scene where Cassian is looking through a rifle scope, but also check out how the rebel attack starts and Krennic asks "Are we blind?"

I'm not sure what it adds up to. But I'm pretty sure there's something there.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

Darth Vader is a broken man in a scary mask. The voice being part of the mask is consistent with that.

So I watched Rogue One and A New Hope today as I continued going through the series chronologically. I have concluded that chronologically is the wrong way to associate these two movies together. It'd have worked much better to do A New Hope then Rogue One.

The one thing that I didn't like much about Rogue One on an initial viewing was that I felt the cadence of the third act, the battle on Scarif, was awkward. On a repeat viewing, I think I identified the specific problem. The battle takes place in four locations and they all have something to contribute to the overall objective of getting the plans away, right? Chirrut and Baze have to throw the switch so that Bodhi can use the radio so that the rebel fleet knows they have to take out the shields so that Jyn and Cassian can make the transmission. That's what ultimately comes into play, although there are other obstacles going on in between.

But there's a weak link in that chain. There's no strong establishment of the need for Bodhi to be involved in the rebels' assault on the shield. It's mentioned a bit in dialog that Admiral Raddus didn't consider the shield to be the top priority, but that's it. Certainly nothing visual.

There's something going on in this movie about the unreliability of voice. There are several instances of unintelligible Imperial radio/loudspeaker chatter, of course. Saw doesn't trust, doesn't even hear, Bodhi's words, and only listens to Galen's hologram after getting the all-clear from his telepathic tentacle pet. Mon Mothma wants Galen to testify before a Senate that's about to be dissolved. There's concern about whether the Alliance will heed trust Galen's warning given that they only have Jyn's word on the matter. Chirrut wants to know whether Cassian has the face of a killer. And, indeed, Cassian makes the decision not to kill Galen while watching him, unable to see. And then there's the line "You can't talk your way around this."

Vision is the contrast. Not only do we have the blind Chirrut, and the aforementioned scene where Cassian is looking through a rifle scope, but also check out how the rebel attack starts and Krennic asks "Are we blind?"

I'm not sure what it adds up to. But I'm pretty sure there's something there.

Just a guess, but no one wants to believe the Death Star can exist when they hear about it. Once they see it, they have no choice.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hayden's got a good teenage, James Dean-esque voice that fits well with who he is in AOTC. It fits less well with the older, more mature Anakin in ROTS, which is why you can hear Hayden intentionally try to shift his voice down a bit for that movie (not entirely successfully, admittedly), and why the guy cast as Anakin for TCW has a notably deeper voice. When Hayden transitions into Vader pre-mask he does end up sounding more petulant than menacing, but he's still Vader-in-transition at that point so as far as I'm concerned it just serves to underscore the contrast between who Vader really is (a tantrum-throwing maniac in a state of arrested development) and who Vader comes across as in the suit (a booming-voiced badass who doesn't take poo poo from anybody).

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 14, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vader does nothing but take poo poo. The coolest thing about Anakin's story in the prequels is that he starts out as a slave with a killswitch in his body and wraps up becoming a slave with a killswitch around his body.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Vader does nothing but take poo poo. The coolest thing about Anakin's story in the prequels is that he starts out as a slave with a killswitch in his body and wraps up becoming a slave with a killswitch around his body.

Exactly. But no one perceives him that way until ROTJ, and even then a lot of people don't really get that Vader is a pathetic character.

Everyone thinks Vader choking people out for making mistakes means he's cool and strong and in-control, when really it's the behavior of an emotionally out-of-control person who's incredibly insecure about his place in the universe. And you're supposed to think he's cool on some level. It's just that you're also supposed to realize the truth.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Cnut the Great posted:

Exactly. But no one perceives him that way until ROTJ, and even then a lot of people don't really get that Vader is a pathetic character.

Everyone thinks Vader choking people out for making mistakes means he's cool and strong and in-control, when really it's the behavior of an emotionally out-of-control person who's incredibly insecure about his place in the universe. And you're supposed to think he's cool on some level. It's just that you're also supposed to realize the truth.

Then Kylo Ren comes along as a sort of Vader trapped as Anakin, and the film makes a point of showing you that uncontrolled anger isn't badass when it's not carefully arranged to look as slick as possible. Vader is presented that way, but the reaction of Vader and Ren's subordinates shares the same intense discomfort of realizing that the person who has power over you is not in control of themselves. In many of Vader's scenes, especially in RotJ, the film sympathizes with his subordinates; the point being Vader and Palpatine are nightmare bosses who you would not want to work for, which is only made worse by the fact that their firm grip on political power means that there is no escape.

Vader's 'coolness' is a manifestation of this political control, which is why he can kill his employees while Ren is left venting his frustration on computers and furniture.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

yeah. and everyone is always underestimating his power

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

qui gon may be part of a creepy cop/priest/child abductor cult but at least he gives anakin some recognition. anakin's all like 'look at me im a genius amazing prodigy' and everyone's like 'gently caress off and make me some money'

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Zas posted:

yeah. and everyone is always underestimating his power

"you underestimate my power" is the Anakin line best imagined coming from the Vader head.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

josh04 posted:

"you underestimate my power" is the Anakin line best imagined coming from the Vader head.

"You will try", too.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Tbf, I hate it when people underestimate my power.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Darth Vader hates the Death Star because it's a bigger metal monster than he is and it makes him feel insignificant. He chokes people who upset him because he himself can't breathe and he's envious of people who can. He boasts about the unlimited power of the dark side because even as Darth Vader he spends every minute of every day feeling weak and powerless. His entire character is driven by profound insecurity, but what's brilliant is you don't realize it until you get deeper into the story.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It's also worth noting that Vader doesn't actually kill a subordinate until he finds out Luke is around. While it could have happened off-screen before that point, I've always thought it was a sign of his greater emotional investment in his mission in Empire in comparison to the original, and in contrast to his sense of resignation in Return.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Beeez posted:

It's also worth noting that Vader doesn't actually kill a subordinate until he finds out Luke is around. While it could have happened off-screen before that point, I've always thought it was a sign of his greater emotional investment in his mission in Empire in comparison to the original, and in contrast to his sense of resignation in Return.

Yeah, the new canon Darth Vader comics basically confirm this, but in Empire, Vader is on a complete obsessive mission to find Luke, using and abusing the entire infrastructure of the Empire itself, in a mad dash to get to Luke before the Emperor can have a chance to turn him. He desperately wants to bring Luke onto his side to kill the Emperor, partly because the Emperor kept Luke's existence a secret from him.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9sIJ6

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Can anyone explain to me how Tarkin was able to control Vader more so than anyone else in the entire series besides Palps? As the movies / previous book canon went along Vader was shown to be more second in only to the Emperor so Grand Moff Tarkin holding in his reins looks very off in retrospect. I will however accept that Tarkin was only in control because Lucas didn't think that far ahead regarding his leadership role in the Empire.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The new canon explanation is that Tarkin and Vader are both semi-equal and basically both "second" in command to the Emperor, just over different aspects of the Empire. Tarkin was lead man in charge of the Death Star, so his command took precedence there. Tarkin dying is one of the main reasons Vader has near complete control of the Empire in ESB. There is no more check on his power, other than the Emperor, who remains largely "hands off".

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm celebrating my vile consumerism right now by watching all the movies. Just got to Rouge Juan and I have a wookipedia type question. Is this movie the first time there have been wheeled vehicles in Star wars? Having trouble thinking of another example.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

thrawn527 posted:

The new canon explanation is that Tarkin and Vader are both semi-equal and basically both "second" in command to the Emperor, just over different aspects of the Empire. Tarkin was lead man in charge of the Death Star, so his command took precedence there. Tarkin dying is one of the main reasons Vader has near complete control of the Empire in ESB. There is no more check on his power, other than the Emperor, who remains largely "hands off".

Thank you, that makes sense. My honestly favorite part of the Star Wars universe is the people who have power that aren't Sith/Jedi so Tarkin having a hold on Vader was always fascinating to me (That, and he looked exactly like my grandmother who controlled the entire family on my father's side.)

I'm hoping Episode 8 will introduce more characters like Tarkin and less characters that have mastered art of hover hand.

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

I'm celebrating my vile consumerism right now by watching all the movies. Just got to Rouge Juan and I have a wookipedia type question. Is this movie the first time there have been wheeled vehicles in Star wars? Having trouble thinking of another example.

Grievous drives around in a giant monowheel iirc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Diabetic posted:

Can anyone explain to me how Tarkin was able to control Vader more so than anyone else in the entire series besides Palps? As the movies / previous book canon went along Vader was shown to be more second in only to the Emperor so Grand Moff Tarkin holding in his reins looks very off in retrospect. I will however accept that Tarkin was only in control because Lucas didn't think that far ahead regarding his leadership role in the Empire.

In Clone Wars, they meet and become friends and bond over how much they like fascism.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Serf posted:

There's also the Sandcrawler driven by Jawas, that uses tank treads in New Hope and also a few droids here and there.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Serf posted:

Yeah but that's a giant wheel with legs. And there are vehicles with tank treads in others. But the prison transport in R1 looks really "Earth like" because it has big tires.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Droids have wheels sometimes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

Yeah but that's a giant wheel with legs. And there are vehicles with tank treads in others. But the prison transport in R1 looks really "Earth like" because it has big tires.

The clone troopers use wheeled armored transports.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's practically a landship (like the sandcrawler), but yes, Juggernauts

And I've just remembered that the transport you're talking about is a repurposed Juggernaut anyway...

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 14, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked Rogue One a lot more on the second viewing

I just wish they had allowed more Space Terrorism to be shown in it because that desert street attack scene was cool

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

It's practically a landship (like the sandcrawler), but yes, Juggernauts

And I've just remembered that the transport you're talking about is a repurposed Juggernaut anyway...

I stand corrected. Don't know why the one in R1 stood out so much. That first gif is amazing. Is the RotS?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

UmOk posted:

I stand corrected. Don't know why the one in R1 stood out so much. That first gif is amazing. Is the RotS?

Yep, seen in the Battle of Kashyyyk (Which was entirely absent from Stover's RotS novelization as it disturbed the flow of the narrative)
We also got to see the prologue to that invasion in the video game Republic Commando, which was fun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hodgepodge posted:

Tbf, I hate it when people underestimate my power.

You should inform ppl of how much your power is like when it gets over 9000 or something

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

fridge corn posted:

You should inform ppl of how much your power is like when it gets over 9000 or something

They'll pick that if they scan me while I power up, duh.

However, if I'm taking awhile to surpass a previously legendary limit, I'll give my new threshold a name like "super hodgepodge 2" and inform them I've reached it. That's only polite.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm watching a guy play the new Battlefront 2 and he's playing as Emperor Palpatine

does Palpatine stop wearing pants when he finally goes full evil on the galaxy??? is he naked under his robe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Who’s gonna tell Palpatine, a guy who can kill people with lightning bolts that shoot out of his fuckin’ fingers, that there’s an Imperial dress code?

Dude was probably freeballin’ since day one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Han Solo from EA's Battlefront 2

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Han Solo from EA's Battlefront 2

Not my Solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009