Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, I totally get the people from Chapo's extensive, ah, coverage, I'm just wondering what the deal is with the actual literal lanyard they wear, if that's a thing you see because people are working in government and need to pass checkpoints, or if it's an actual fashion statement among awful tools, or what.

I am too slow to know what a govcon is :(

oh, yeah, you had that part right--lots of people keep their badge etc. on a lanyard for convenience. you need a chipped badge (similar to credit card chip) to pass through a lot of secured doors, at many companies

govcon = government contractor

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also you get lanyards at lovely corporate shows/political conferences that these people really love to go to

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oh, thanks everyone! It sounds like I should regard it less as a direct cause and effect kind of thing and more of the left's version of why certain conservatives get caught in elevators.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Also you get lanyards at lovely corporate shows/political conferences that these people really love to go to

I think this is actually what they were referring to when they first started the "lanyard" riff. I think they even meant Politicon specifically.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

its mocking the ladder climbing dweets who think this is badass af

fairlight
May 18, 2007

There is no way to make a rolling carry-on look cool.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

These people all need to run into that guy who set Bryan straight about the yellow shirt.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, I totally get the people from Chapo's extensive, ah, coverage, I'm just wondering what the deal is with the actual literal lanyard they wear, if that's a thing you see because people are working in government and need to pass checkpoints, or if it's an actual fashion statement among awful tools, or what.

I am too slow to know what a govcon is :(

It’s not a fashion statement, it’s a status symbol. It’s a way to show you’re a big shot at the cracker factory DC because you have access/work for whatever your lanyard gets into. Armando Ianucci said that whoever Jonah from Veep was based on would brag how once he got a White House lanyard he “used to get 6s, but now gets 8-10s”.

In other news Jared Fogle has gone sovcit.
https://twitter.com/HonoredSpirit/status/930155643415285761

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Skyscraper posted:

These people all need to run into that guy who set Bryan straight about the yellow shirt.

Do you remember what episode that was? I want to relisten to that story now

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Goddamnit Virgil, it's har-bin-jer, not har-BING-er.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

padijun posted:

Do you remember what episode that was? I want to relisten to that story now
http://www.streetfightradio.com/show/bootlickery/
4:35 in

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

prefect posted:

drat, Virgil could absolutely do professional TV or radio punditry/reporting
Because he knowingly makes stupid awful predictions for the sake of political theater?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Matt's gonna lose. Virgil is gonna come through. Hellworld's grip on reality is weakening.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Matt's gonna lose. Virgil is gonna come through. Hellworld's grip on reality is weakening.

matt always wins. he'll find a way to demonstrate how this is just more hellworld

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Matt couldn't have forseen that today it would be reported that Roy Moore got banned from a shopping mall and a YMCA for being a pervert.

I mean there's "being a sex creep" and then there's "being a sex creep in the most hilarious stereotyped way possible." banned from the mall lol.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's not a real mall ban unless his photo was posted on a wall somewhere. I need this evidence.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, thanks everyone! It sounds like I should regard it less as a direct cause and effect kind of thing and more of the left's version of why certain conservatives get caught in elevators.

Jonah from Veep is a laynard-dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfEec1mfZE

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/930224538486439942

she's so god drat dumb

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Running cover for scumfuck landlords and kiddie diddlers. She truly has no shame.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The lanyard in modern western culture is an interesting signifier to unpack, there's 3 layers to it.

Establishment: People only wear lanyards if they are involved in the sort of standard white-collar/middle class organizations that permeate DC/NYC/SF/etc or the conventions that attract those sorts of people. In this case it's a practical element (security precaution) for those organizations that are central enough to power to attract subversive/antagonistic elements and are also large enough that not everyone in the given space can be expected to recognize every other person in that organization by their face.

Identity: The lanyard also exists as a sense of identity. Not just in that it literally is an ID badge, but that those who wear it and choose to (or lack the self-awareness otherwise) to not display it in public. When I worked for the state government, I was given an ID badge and expected to wear it around the office, but whenever I passed through the lobby to the street, I always took it off. Those who don't either wish to flaunt their "lanyard" identity, or cannot think of displaying an identity other than that of their lanyard outside the office setting.

Power: Ultimately, the lanyard is an expression of a type of power. Not low enough in the system that you just wear a plastic nametag or have a workshirt with some name stitched into it, or otherwise work in an organization small enough that everyone just knows everyone. But also, not high enough to just get by on your face alone. At the end of the day senators, judges, and presidents don't wear lanyards.

In short, it means you don't dig ditches, but you're still a drone for the establishment.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

uber_stoat posted:

Matt couldn't have forseen that today it would be reported that Roy Moore got banned from a shopping mall and a YMCA for being a pervert.

I mean there's "being a sex creep" and then there's "being a sex creep in the most hilarious stereotyped way possible." banned from the mall lol.

receipts baby

https://twitter.com/AlexSilverman/status/930161839677296640/photo/1

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
https://twitter.com/retroanimeop/status/930307528650522624

TRUMP

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Erwin the German posted:

Goddamnit Virgil, it's har-bin-jer, not har-BING-er.

This is such a tiny thing in the face of will saying gooshie.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
They have to be doing it on purpose at this point.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tankies start a wiki chronicling every mispronunciation with elaborate theories about what ideologically incorrect material each Chapo heard or read that caused them to mispronounce each word and why they chose to correct each other or not

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I think it's something that happens a lot with people who are more well read than they are social. I play a lot of d&d and hear mispronounced poo poo all the time.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think it's something that happens a lot with people who are more well read than they are social. I play a lot of d&d and hear mispronounced poo poo all the time.

"sepulchre" is the ultimate D&D mispronounced word

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I used to think "segue" was pronounced "sayg."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pharmaskittle posted:

Will himself is fond of that classic D&D-ism, "coup de gras"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

I used to think "segue" was pronounced "sayg."

i like when people spell it like the stupid scooter

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Dr. Stab posted:

One day, your children will look up and ask you "Daddy, what did you do in the posting war?"
Will you be proud of your answer?

I was serving in commander Smarts battalion, Nazis on one side gamers on the other. It was hell I tell you.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tankies start a wiki chronicling every mispronunciation with elaborate theories about what ideologically incorrect material each Chapo heard or read that caused them to mispronounce each word and why they chose to correct each other or not

not seeing this yet in the usual places. links?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lowtax Christman McGuns, the unbeatable red state candidate

Between Don Jr crossfit deadlifting into another wikileaks mess and Subway Jared going sovcit I feel this is the week of peak Felix reality distortion field. Fully expect Jared Kushner to get caught stealing valor by Friday.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

it is extremely funny to me that the Good Praxis Podcast had to ditch a guy for being a huge sex weird, its so fukken 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

snucks posted:

Because he knowingly makes stupid awful predictions for the sake of political theater?

I was more talking about the way he delivers the predictions. He's got "pundit voice" down really well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr. Stab posted:

This is such a tiny thing in the face of will saying gooshie.

Who doesn't love the classic Steven Seagal song, "Juche Coochie Man?"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i like when people spell it like the stupid scooter

Sneak peak

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SoupyTwist posted:

whoever Jonah from Veep was based on would brag how once he got a White House lanyard he “used to get 6s, but now gets 8-10s”.
what the gently caress, for real

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Skyscraper posted:

what the gently caress, for real
He means his Hit Die type increased.