Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you think that's cool, check this out: someone redid the Witcher 1's prologue in the Witcher 3 engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwtMjUBBcI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

if you think that's cool, check this out: someone redid the Witcher 1's prologue in the Witcher 3 engine!

this is very cool but has been posted twice already in the last page

Pattonesque posted:

Someone remade the Witcher 1's prologue in TW3's engine

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 13, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I don't know about you guys, but I found this awesome video of The Witcher 1 prologue remade in Witcher 3!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The joke aside, it makes me really sad that it'd be impossible for them you remake the whole game in Witcher 3. Clever usage of the existing Kaer Morhen map, though.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
So is it normal that I don't play other games, I just complete the Witcher 3 and then restart it ad infinitum? Can I just do this for the rest of my life?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Twat McTwatterson posted:

So is it normal that I don't play other games, I just complete the Witcher 3 and then restart it ad infinitum? Can I just do this for the rest of my life?

Considering the trend of AAA gaming getting progressively worse, what you suggest is a best case option

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Hopefully you'll only have to until Cyberpunk drops.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hopefully you'll only have to until Cyberpunk drops.

or when they do the inevitable return to the Witcher world with a whole new story/characters

if you can customize your own character they will basically bury BioWare for good

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wrong thread.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 14, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Pattonesque posted:

or when they do the inevitable return to the Witcher world with a whole new story/characters

if you can customize your own character they will basically bury BioWare for good

Generic customize you own character is exactly what Witcher isn't

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fuzz posted:

The joke aside, it makes me really sad that it'd be impossible for them you remake the whole game in Witcher 3. Clever usage of the existing Kaer Morhen map, though.

I mean, they could remake Witcher 3 in Witcher 1 quite easily though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the trend of AAA gaming getting progressively worse, what you suggest is a best case option

Or you could just play non-AAA games :thunk:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

That's actually a really great idea. There's a ton of cool stuff in the first game that a vast majority of English fans have probably never seen. You give Vizima the Novigrad treatment and keep the scheduled npc's from the first game and you'd have one of the most lively RPG's ever. Bring back some of the cool stuff from the first game like the group style and drop all the lovely voice acting and terrible bland encounters and you'd have a great game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

group style
uh

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

MikeC posted:

Generic customize you own character is exactly what Witcher isn't

What I want from a 'customize your character' option is:
a) to choose my sex and appearance. Witcher could do this.
b) to have dialog options so I'm not stuck saying something I hate. Witcher already does this.
c) to have the ability to avoid melee fighting, by having decent ranged and/or sneak abilities. Witcher could do this.

What's the problem?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The thing is, I guess the dichotomy between having a character that's completely fleshed out (thanks to the background material) so all the quests and storytelling basically make sense in the context of that character - it does mean you have to submit to the characterisation to immerse yourself even if there is a bit of wriggle room on how you play them, particularly when it comes to branching outcomes.

Or there's the fully customisable route which means you can make your dude exactly how you want it, but it does make the verisimilitude more complex to implement, though it can certainly be done. Done well, it could be brilliant. Done not so well, it might come across as a bit bland.

Build Your Own Witcher does sounds badass, but how to go about it? There would be compromises to be made if you want to keep dev time reasonable and you'd have to take care building up character origins so that it doesn't go too "you're an misogynist unsightly gimp dwarf with halitosis but you still get seduced by the sexy witch who wants your love juice".

It's doable, certainly, especially since Geralt essentially lives happily ever after (if that anniversary video is canon) and it would be kind of interesting to base a new game in a world where witchers are becoming even more sidelined due to modernisation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You cannot tell me you didn't lament the loss of it the first time you that god forsaken entered the cave with all the Necrophages in it in Witcher 2.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Restriction of context is actually a really powerful thing for immersion and storytelling, something that games have still to crack in general (and won't do for a very long time due to the inherent technical difficulties involved imho)

A lot of complaints about Witcher is that Geralt isn't "their" character, which I think it is the wrong way to go about it: you can't ever fully have "your" character in a videogame (at least nowadays), it is a compromise between authorial intent/design and player choice, with tradition pending heavily towards the latter. This isn't a bad thing per se, but makes it much harder to tell stories that are richer in context and detail because it is necessary to have a certain such number of canvas points (so to speak) where the player's character must be accommodated to several or many outcomes.

Narrowing those down in order to work from a more developed, closed-down character structure that, when well done (such as Geralt's case), allows you to have a good deal of character range as well as consistency: I never felt that if I took a sudden rear end in a top hat/too goody option would be a character break for Geralt in Witcher 3. IMHO, the very best of this happens in Hearts of Stone, where either outcome can be completely and properly justified through Geralt's point of view and so either decision by the player has validity: either can be satisfying and closes up the story in really well and different ways.

(really if you take down the heist I can give praise to HoS for hours)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

You cannot tell me you didn't lament the loss of it the first time you that god forsaken entered the cave with all the Necrophages in it in Witcher 2.

You mean the Nekker cave, right? Hardest part of the game right there. I also still remember the first time I went to investigate Kayran poo poo with Triss and about 3 Drowners showed up. I went very quickly from "LOL drowners" to "gently caress gently caress gently caress".
I love both combat systems though.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

GrossMurpel posted:

I also still remember the first time I went to investigate Kayran poo poo with Triss and about 3 Drowners showed up. I went very quickly from "LOL drowners" to "gently caress gently caress gently caress".

You just triggered a very vivid memory of me having those exact same 2 reactions. :roflolmao:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Considering they have no map editor to actually make the maps for any of the Witcher 1 areas, no, no they can't. At all.

The only way they'd be able to put it in currently would be to make a janky version using Novigrad, and then recycling the other areas like Velen as the swamp or the HoS areas for the Outskirts of Vizima. The only reason that video and gameplay tutorial were possible is because the game already has the entirety of Kaer Morhen modeled in it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Fuzz posted:

Considering they have no map editor to actually make the maps for any of the Witcher 1 areas, no, no they can't. At all.

The only way they'd be able to put it in currently would be to make a janky version using Novigrad, and then recycling the other areas like Velen as the swamp or the HoS areas for the Outskirts of Vizima. The only reason that video and gameplay tutorial were possible is because the game already has the entirety of Kaer Morhen modeled in it.

Reread the quote.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fuzz posted:

:thunk:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Reread the quote.

:doh:

That would be sort of hilarious.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

You mean the Nekker cave, right? Hardest part of the game right there. I also still remember the first time I went to investigate Kayran poo poo with Triss and about 3 Drowners showed up. I went very quickly from "LOL drowners" to "gently caress gently caress gently caress".
I love both combat systems though.

Yeah that cave I vivedly remember rolling around like crazy and tossing out my entire stock of bombs just trying to keep those things away from me.
The actual hardest part was when the game stole all my witcher powers so I could play as a ghost for the hardest twenty minutes in the game. I love the second game but gently caress that part.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
That part is especially nice when you don't have the backstab damage reduction.

Backstab? How could anyone backstab me when I can just roll around all day? Oh. gently caress.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Futuresight posted:

That part is especially nice when you don't have the backstab damage reduction.

Backstab? How could anyone backstab me when I can just roll around all day? Oh. gently caress.

It's also great if you've been only speccing into Signs and don't even have proper parries.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

It's also great if you've been only speccing into Signs and don't even have proper parries.

Or if your'e like me and you went all in on alchemy so Geralt was a total wimp until you downed some potions and became a pale, eye bulging, vein popping monster who ripped and teared his way through enemies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't know how you could do a Witcher game without Geralt. His entire conceit is that he is not your typical Witcher. Without Geralt you would have no justifiable reason to spare any monsters on your contracts or get involved in political or social struggles. You'd basically be playing solo Monster Hunter with cat eyes.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Witcher 4: No More Geralt!

Create your own Witcher to look like yourself! Choose if you want to be Good Witcher or Bad Witcher! Eventually become Grandmaster of Witchers, the General of the Nilfgaard Army, and King/Queen of Skellige! Rebuild Kaer Morhen with customizable settlement building minigame!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
We'll have to see how Cyberpunk turns out to see whether the next Witcher thing will be Literally Just Geralt With A Different Name or Literally Just A Bioware Game.
Those are the only two options though, unfortunately.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Create your own Witcher to look like yourself! Choose if you want to be Good Witcher or Bad Witcher! Eventually become Grandmaster of Witchers, the General of the Nilfgaard Army, and King/Queen of Skellige! Rebuild Kaer Morhen with customizable settlement building minigame!

I just tasted blood.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really don't know how you could do a Witcher game without Geralt. His entire conceit is that he is not your typical Witcher. Without Geralt you would have no justifiable reason to spare any monsters on your contracts or get involved in political or social struggles. You'd basically be playing solo Monster Hunter with cat eyes.

Geralt was not always Geralt of Rivia, banger of sorceresses and killer of kings, merciful to monsters. For a diff protagonist, you make them a younger witcher that gets dragged into intrigue. The dynamic would not be that they are old and tired of such garbage like Geralt is, but they are unfamiliar with such territory and the game tells that story. You can choose to be a more merciful witcher in the likes of Geralt or not, just like W3 let you just kill everything if you wished.

You set it far away from the North, and use a different witcher school as the basis. Have it be a younger witcher so relatively free of attachments, and tell a story more akin to Blood and Wine than the base games. You just expand it and make it more complex and take longer to unravel as your witcher navigates an unfamiliar world in order to make a huge payday/get revenge/whatever the motivation is. They might have a similar group of friends as Geralt, but maybe not full blown sorceresses and royals. You have a Dandelion and Zoltan, and contacts from your school.

then in sequels that witcher now has a name for themselves, and is repeatedly dragged into crap as "person who gets things done" like Geralt was.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Without Geralt you would have no justifiable reason to spare any monsters on your contracts

That's already true though. :colbert:

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 14, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Arcsquad12 posted:

Without Geralt you would have no justifiable reason to spare any monsters on your contracts or get involved in political or social struggles. You'd basically be playing solo Monster Hunter with cat eyes.

That's a bizarre argument, Geralt is not the only person ever to show mercy. There aren't only two sorts of people in the world, Geralt or generic ruthless monster hunter. With player customization you'd be playing the Witcher, but with optional breasts and/or dark skin. That's basically it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd be down more for games that give you a custom character but that have 1, thought out back story to help frame everything. And then you can play within those bounds like you did in Witcher 3. I mean games with create-a-character still don't really give you 100 percent control on your character you are still bound within the frames of the story or the role your are playing. So why not just make that role a little more thought out. I'd sacrifice what little me I could imprint on a character for a better story. I just wanna be able to change the gender and face.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Who says you gotta play as a Witcher in The Witcher 4: The Next One

lemme be a sorceress and intrigue my way through a royal court and dodge getting burned at the stake

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Hobo Clown posted:

Unlock exciting cosmetic items or speed up your advancement in the game through the loot box system!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mangoose posted:

Unlock exciting cosmetic items or speed up your advancement in the game through the loot box system!

Don't forget about the paid mods! You want to remove the level restriction on items/change the weight limit/whatever, you gotta give us all your money, you sucker valued customer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Who says you gotta play as a Witcher in The Witcher 4: The Next One

lemme be a sorceress and intrigue my way through a royal court and dodge getting burned at the stake

this was discussed way back but again and everytime gently caress yes playing as a sorceress would be awesome as a new witcher-world game