Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
her harem isn't limited to males haha

im pulling for the protag girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The best part about Bakarina is that she was an equal opportunity harem maker. Male or female, once you crossed the Bakarina event horizon, you have no hope of escape.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

arisu posted:

her harem isn't limited to males haha

im pulling for the protag girl

If you get the protag on the yuri route it's guaranteed good end!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Do any of these 'omg-sucked-into-my-video-game' stories ever feature a protagonist who's stuck with his dumbass memelord screen-name? Usual power fantasy or whatever, except the entire slave harem refers to him as 'Weedboner Hitler-sama~'

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Do any of these 'omg-sucked-into-my-video-game' stories ever feature a protagonist who's stuck with his dumbass memelord screen-name? Usual power fantasy or whatever, except the entire slave harem refers to him as 'Weedboner Hitler-sama~'

Korea's most popular video game story's MC is named Weed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Rangpur posted:

Not one of the leads, but Log Horizon's got "Krusty" who the author named by the tried and true MMO naming method of "Look on my desk for a figure, try that" and it was a figure of Krusty the Clown. So everyone's calling him "Lord Krusty", Krusty-sama, etc etc.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’m kinda interested in King’s Avatar or whatever it’s called after seeing a video that showed how it was SAO only good. Is it really that good? Also is there a good English translation?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Getsuya posted:

I’m kinda interested in King’s Avatar or whatever it’s called after seeing a video that showed how it was SAO only good. Is it really that good? Also is there a good English translation?

Isn't that the esports mmo webnovel who the mc is like late twenties guy who smokes and had to retire and wants to come back to the esport?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Fallorn posted:

Isn't that the esports mmo webnovel who the mc is like late twenties guy who smokes and had to retire and wants to come back to the esport?

Yeah that one

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Getsuya posted:

I read like 400 chapters of that and wish I didn't. Nothing ever happens.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Piell posted:

I read like 400 chapters of that and wish I didn't. Nothing ever happens.

Yeah it would be good if it wasn't incredibly boring.

something that could be said about a lot of wns

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Fallorn posted:

I remember reading a few hundred chapters, iirc he was kicked off his old team so that they could replace him with some Young Gun, but then throughout the story he continually proves that he's still a God-tier player, so it really makes you wonder what moron was running the team that decided to kick him off the squad - in a super insulting way, I recall. Like, what was the end game of removing the best player in the world from your team and burning all bridges with him at the same time?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Silynt posted:

I remember reading a few hundred chapters, iirc he was kicked off his old team so that they could replace him with some Young Gun, but then throughout the story he continually proves that he's still a God-tier player, so it really makes you wonder what moron was running the team that decided to kick him off the squad - in a super insulting way, I recall. Like, what was the end game of removing the best player in the world from your team and burning all bridges with him at the same time?

The player he's replaced with is an up and coming god who actually does promotions, unlike the main character who refuses to do any of that stuff. With the way they pushed him out and given that he's at the 'end' of his esports career life, generally, it would have been a decision that would not come back to haunt them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I watched some of the animation and it's just... eh.

It's not really amazing. The WN probably describes the game in more detail, but it's not SAO but good. SAO fails both on just telling a good story (it's probably decent if you're being generous) and having a terrible setting (SAO and the various other in-universe games basically fall apart under scrutiny) and King's Avatar isn't really much better from what I've seen. There's some decent worldbuilding and whatnot but nothing ever really ties it together and as people have said, nothing ever happens. On this episode of King's Avatar, the protagonist does something and gets away with it. That's pretty much every episode. Maybe the WN ties it together better but the animation poorly depicts the game and there's a huge disconnect because of it. It doesn't feel like a game even if the details and things characters talk about generally make sense because what you're seeing in the animation just feels entirely off. At the very least there's some enjoyable parts of SAO when it's not being really stupid or contrived.

Argas fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 14, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's 90% a 3d, first person version of dfo. there's some interesting ideas in the story, but none of that has to do with the game and the execution is dull as dirt regardless. you'd think maybe the anime could make the supposedly action-packed game scenes more interesting, but instead it's all cheap reused animation.

also, whoever told you it was in any way similar to sao was either lying or dumb as poo poo.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

jwang posted:

Cultivation Chat Group has got to be one of my favorite Xianxia style stories, right up there with My Disciple. If you're talking about modern cultivation or cultivation stories without transmigration though, CCG definitely beats all competitors, hands down. It has humor, action, and a MC that is such a nice guy that he can't get any girls (though that might be partly because of his denseness). Seriously, read it.

It's actually kind of amazing how consistently CCG is good. I'm still catching up and it makes me laugh out loud pretty often.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone who's read the Honzuki raws have any idea what non-Japanese words (this won't even spoil anything but just in case...) ダプラ and ダルア might correspond to, if any? Most of the fantasy vocabulary in the book sounds like actual German words and names so I assume that's the case here too. It keeps popping up and they sound so similar I keep having to look up what the difference is but maybe knowing what those words derive from might save me the trouble.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Personally I read TKA for the comedy, the plot is super slow and I don't see how there are 1000 chapters left before the t/l finishes. It's pretty funny, though!

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Been reading Ze Tian Ji and I'm absolutely in love with it. The philosophy is clever, the humor is funny, there's good and memorable characters, the political intrigue is well thought out, and there's even a kind of cute romance of mistaken identities. Huge fan.

I also caught up to My Disciple Died Yet Again, which was quite good. I knew that it had a lot of humor to it, but I was pleasantly surprised by some of its storytelling. My one complaint is that I really dislike Yu Yan.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Anyone who's read the Honzuki raws have any idea what non-Japanese words (this won't even spoil anything but just in case...) ダプラ and ダルア might correspond to, if any? Most of the fantasy vocabulary in the book sounds like actual German words and names so I assume that's the case here too. It keeps popping up and they sound so similar I keep having to look up what the difference is but maybe knowing what those words derive from might save me the trouble.

https://www8.atwiki.jp/booklove/pages/276.html

Japanese wiki has a page specifically for speculation on the origin (and thus romanization) of all the pseudo-german names and terms in Honzuki. It's almost all unofficial guesswork, so take it with a grain of salt.

ダプラ and ダルア specifically don't seem to have an easy solution and are more of a stretch, the guess on the wiki is that they're adapted from the first syllable or two of "Praktiker" and "Laufjunge".

Also, for those of you waiting on the translations, a quick glance at that page will tell you just how many characters this fuckin series has.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 16, 2017

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
A Will Eternal has been on fire lately. BXC's decision making process is like "Will this make everyone hate me a ton but something I kinda wanna do? K, I'M ALL ABOUT THIS!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah oh god horrible web novels are bleeding into real life with friends discovering the rebirth genre and traumatizing each other with terrible examples

A Story About Me Being Reborn as the Heroine in a 18 Rated Otome Game called 『Snow White and the Seven Lovers』 and Escaping From the Princes With All My Might

Genre: Isekai, Genderbender

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahahah oh god horrible web novels are bleeding into real life with friends discovering the rebirth genre and traumatizing each other with terrible examples

A Story About Me Being Reborn as the Heroine in a 18 Rated Otome Game called 『Snow White and the Seven Lovers』 and Escaping From the Princes With All My Might

Genre: Isekai, Genderbender

Somehow the description for this one is even worse than the title :catstare:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

It could be worse just imagine if it was genderblender instead of bender

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Decided to check if the comedy tag was accurate.

It's not.

It's super not.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fallorn posted:

It could be worse just imagine if it was genderblender instead of bender

So a story about a hermaphrodite?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Hey is moon led journey to another world worth reading? I've started it but the translation is awful but it looks like it might be good.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm a huge fan of schmucks getting caught up in dumb anime nonsense.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm a huge fan of schmucks getting caught up in dumb anime nonsense.

Depends on how fond you are of massively overpowered protagonists who don't actually have to work for much of anything. Also, harems.

What I'm saying is it's a pretty standard entry for the genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
early on, the mc's whole thing is that while he is absurdly powerful he has very little fighting experience and even less understanding of magic. so obviously, he becomes a combat magic teacher whose revolutionary, highly refined training regimen allow normal students to reach amazing new heights. there isn't a time skip or anything, he just suddenly has that skill set with no explanation when shortly before he explicitly did not have it.

i dropped it shortly afterward. you can't expect anything from a story that casually pulls poo poo like that.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Getsuya posted:

I actually like it, it has the good fun of the Chinese protagonist dunking and scamming people without all the huh wow he just murdered like a ton of people uhhh isn't that uhhh...how is this a "good" character??? that Chinese novels often fall into. It basically is nothing like SAO though and goes pretty much a long loop of him scamming/playing off the major guilds in ever increasing ways in order to grind gear faster while having mild esports drama in the background. Now they are going through challengers and the esports drama part has cranked up a good bit.

Caveat: I actually think SAO starting with Alicization is actually pretty good if weaker than Accel World so what do I know :shrug:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I actually have a hard time reading Chinese web novels. I think it's the names. I have a hard time keeping track of Chinese names.

Normally this is probably understandable, but the kicker is I'm fluent in Mandarin.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
This is probably the result of either A. forgettable characters or B. character inflation. In either case, earlier characters tends to get forgotten unless they are frequently brought up. Read Cultivation Chat Group to avoid these problems!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in one wn there is a guy named lin xin and a woman named li xin. they are a couple, but not married or otherwise related. even better, sometimes the translation mixes up their names.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Fatty.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every character named fatty is completely interchangeable. chinese wn authors really like giving their mc a completely non-threatening sycophant 'best friend', huh?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

every character named fatty is completely interchangeable. chinese wn authors really like giving their mc a completely non-threatening sycophant 'best friend', huh?

To be fair, I think this is true of most Japanese WNs/manga/etc also.

Like, I remember Toradora stood out because the main love interest has a crush on his best friend (who is a pretty confident dude who seems to have his poo poo together) for a large portion of the series. Usually best friends are either defined by their loyalty to the protagonist, or they don't have much of a role in the first place. Shoujo stuff is usually better with this, in that it usually seems to at least pair up the friend characters in addition to the protagonist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, I think this is true of most Japanese WNs/manga/etc also.

Like, I remember Toradora stood out because the main love interest has a crush on his best friend (who is a pretty confident dude who seems to have his poo poo together) for a large portion of the series. Usually best friends are either defined by their loyalty to the protagonist, or they don't have much of a role in the first place. Shoujo stuff is usually better with this, in that it usually seems to at least pair up the friend characters in addition to the protagonist.

it's still weird that they are all named fatty and have the exact same traits, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yay, Bookworm is #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
On the other hand, the #1 LN on the other list endorses pedophilia. So it's like one step forward a million steps back as usual.