Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

all you need to know about jason garretts coaching acumen is how he made 0 changes to the playcalling after the backup LT went out, allowing for the most sacks given up by the cowboys since the 91 eagles (one of the greatest dlines and defenses in NFL history).

Andy Reid, often held up by some people in this thread as a paragon of coaching savvy, did the same exact thing when Winston Justice filled in for an injured Tra Thomas around 10 years ago. Justice gave up six sacks to Osi Umenyiora.

I am not a coaching expert, but I think the "give him some help" idea is a lot easier said than done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Totally fair point, but for all his talent and acumen Andy Reid was not immune to making some phenomenally stupid decisions on the fly every now and then

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

i care about sunday's game only because I hope for the Eagles fans to join me in misery

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

McNabb was the best QB in Eagles history and Reid had a lot to do with that. He definitely made a lot of bonehead decisions but I never understood the Reid haters. He was awesome. Just ran into a lot of better teams.

I will agree that Andy Reid challenges suck and the man has no idea how to call a hurry-up offense though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

McNabb was the best QB in Eagles history and Reid had a lot to do with that. He definitely made a lot of bonehead decisions but I never understood the Reid haters. He was awesome. Just ran into a lot of better teams.

I will agree that Andy Reid challenges suck and the man has no idea how to call a hurry-up offense though.

This is going to sound weird but were you in a 'famous' bash.org quote?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is going to sound weird but were you in a 'famous' bash.org quote?

whoa

http://bash.org/?4281

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
We should start a GoFundMe for that face-stabbing device

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I loved Reid and McNabb, and never understood the vitriol. I get being frustrated with a team that's good-to-great while never quite being good-to-great enough, but what's the alternative? Sitting at .500 year to year? Being poo poo for seasons at a time? I'd rather be in contention almost every year and never quite make it than writing off entire seasons six weeks in.

That said, I think Reid overstayed by a couple of years. Dude was very clearly over this gig, and it showed in a bunch of ways. I feel like the number of folks willing to talk poo poo on the Reid era is gonna get smaller and smaller, especially after Chip Kelly's Wild Ride.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Toaster Beef posted:

I loved Reid and McNabb, and never understood the vitriol. I get being frustrated with a team that's good-to-great while never quite being good-to-great enough, but what's the alternative? Sitting at .500 year to year? Being poo poo for seasons at a time? I'd rather be in contention almost every year and never quite make it than writing off entire seasons six weeks in.

That said, I think Reid overstayed by a couple of years. Dude was very clearly over this gig, and it showed in a bunch of ways. I feel like the number of folks willing to talk poo poo on the Reid era is gonna get smaller and smaller, especially after Chip Kelly's Wild Ride.

Blame the professional complainers like Cataldi and the rest of the garbage on WIP (and 97.5? I don't remember if they were sports or still rock at that time). Nearly 100% of bad takes I heard were attributed to them around that time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Andy lost it after his son died, and I'm pretty sure he was caught with all the steroids for the team too

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
New thread title: The NFC East is being carried by the Eagles.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Not happening. Dan Snyder has been detrimental to football since 1999 and he's still around.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Andy lost it after his son died, and I'm pretty sure he was caught with all the steroids for the team too

He had steroids on him, but not like a huge cache of them. Given his history as a dealer though it looked horrible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Andy got depressed and real fat after that .

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah I will always be a huge fan of Andy the coach, but by 2012, he, probably moreso than the franchise, needed a change of scenery. I'm very happy for his success in KC

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
The last two Reid years were totally bizarre. 2011 was the "Dream Team" year where they went 8-8 but would have (iirc) gone 12-4 if games were three periods instead of four.

2012 was a textbook example of a toxic workplace destroying team performance, maybe even more than this year's Giants.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Farchanter posted:

2012 was a textbook example of a toxic workplace destroying team performance, maybe even more than this year's Giants.

Just keep in mind that the 2016 Giants were a bad team that benefited from a lot of luck. They had the second easiest schedule in the league and they went 8-3 in games decided by 7 or fewer points. The toxic workplace excuse only works if they weren't a lovely team prior to the coaching change. But 2017 has shown us that they're just reverting to form. The Giants have sucked and will continue to suck until they clean house. When they fired Coughlin they should've used that opportunity to fire everyone. What did they expect would happen when they promoted the guy running the anemic offense into a head coaching job?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
What could have been:

https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/687447849198485504

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Jesus. I just audibly gasped reading that. That's dodging a bullet. Wentz would've been written off as another failed QB if McAdoo got the job.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Just keep in mind that the 2016 Giants were a bad team that benefited from a lot of luck. They had the second easiest schedule in the league and they went 8-3 in games decided by 7 or fewer points. The toxic workplace excuse only works if they weren't a lovely team prior to the coaching change. But 2017 has shown us that they're just reverting to form. The Giants have sucked and will continue to suck until they clean house. When they fired Coughlin they should've used that opportunity to fire everyone. What did they expect would happen when they promoted the guy running the anemic offense into a head coaching job?

Beckham basically got McAdoo his job.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Beckham is in the last year of his rookie contract right?

No way Beckham stays a Giant.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Just keep in mind that the 2016 Giants were a bad team that benefited from a lot of luck. They had the second easiest schedule in the league and they went 8-3 in games decided by 7 or fewer points.

Wasn’t it the 2015 Giants team that had it the other way? Like, they’d have been 11-5 if the games ended after 59 minutes but kept losing in the last minute and ended up 6-10 or whatever...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Jesus. I just audibly gasped reading that. That's dodging a bullet. Wentz would've been written off as another failed QB if McAdoo got the job.

Pederson was the -third- choice in that coaching search.

First was Ben McAdoo.

Second was...Tom Coughlin :shepicide:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what kind of fuckin name is 'McAdoo' anyway

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Honey I wanted to pickup some Braeburn and Pink Ladies at the store but all they had left were a few gross looking McAdoos. Sorry.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The fact that Reese scrambled to make sure he didn't lose McAdoo should be his undoing this year. I'm not going to hold any hope going forward if he stays on as GM even if McAdoo is let go.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

romanowski posted:

what kind of fuckin name is 'McAdoo' anyway

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Pederson was the -third- choice in that coaching search.

First was Ben McAdoo.

Second was...Tom Coughlin :shepicide:

Coughlin would have developed Wentz

But since Coughlin wasn’t hired as HC elsewhere I’m not so sure he was the second choice.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Honey I wanted to pickup some Braeburn and Pink Ladies at the store but all they had left were a few gross looking McAdoos. Sorry.

I laughed at this more than I should have.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

89 posted:

Beckham is in the last year of his rookie contract right?

No way Beckham stays a Giant.

Fifth year option. He's here for 2018, and I expect the new regime to throw money at him because you don't let players of that caliber walk, diva personality or not (And he's not a bad teammate). I wouldn't blame him if he walks but it's gonna be interesting. His injury muddled everything up.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 15, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So, as we’re playing the “alternate NFCE timeline” game anyway:

What would have happened if Chip had been able to make the trade to draft Mariota?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

aBagorn posted:

What would have happened if Chip had been able to make the trade to draft Mariota?

Chip Kelly would have been fired because he still a garbage coach and the Eagles would have been left with a top15 QB as opposed to a top 5

Aaaaand from what i remember the trade for Mariota was going to be way more expensive than the Wentz one so we would have had even less draft picks.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, lack of dynamic QB play wasn't the biggest problem with Chip Kelly's team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Team still would have hated him

They'd be in a similar place to now

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah I guess the implied question was "what would Doug be doing with Mariota"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

aBagorn posted:

Yeah I guess the implied question was "what would Doug be doing with Mariota"

Probably the same hes doing with Wentz tbh, they are very similar players.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Chip Kelly would have been fired because he still a garbage coach and the Eagles would have been left with a top15 QB as opposed to a top 5

Aaaaand from what i remember the trade for Mariota was going to be way more expensive than the Wentz one so we would have had even less draft picks.

Lol Mariota is better than wentz

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

look at this guy who got stuck in August somehow.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

Metapod posted:

MVP Mariota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Metapod posted:

Except hes not

• Locked thread