Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Lonely Witty Fathers

Ungrateful Daughters

That was my takeaway from Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Freep.jpg

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirSamVimes posted:

Repeated jokes about being a leech who only cares about money every time I saw my parent(s) would make me not want to see them anymore.

I agree with you, I think it would have been nicer if she at some point asked him to stop?

Like my Foster Mom and I joke like that literally all the time, where she says I shouldn't come around anymore cuz the checks won't clear, and I keep joking that I just like seeing that she's slowly dying, it's just jokes and heckling and poo poo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

I agree with you, I think it would have been nicer if she at some point asked him to stop?

Like my Foster Mom and I joke like that literally all the time, where she says I shouldn't come around anymore cuz the checks won't clear, and I keep joking that I just like seeing that she's slowly dying, it's just jokes and heckling and poo poo.

Yeah, but it's not made clear in the comic that Zelda is participating in those jokes, and it's pretty clear she doesn't appreciate them.

And have you ever tried telling your dad not to make a certain kind of joke anymore, when he obviously loves making 'em so drat fuckin' much and you just wanna be a good kid but goddamn it he drives you up the wall and maybe it'd just be better if you didn't put yourself in that position anymore you'll still call you'll still

gently caress gotta call my dad

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I've never understood the mental gymnastics required for Christians to cozy up to guns. I know a lot of people here in the South that are very devout Christians who are simultaneously 2nd Amendment enthusiasts. They talk a lot about "self defense". They always look uncomfortable when I ask them about all the times Jesus said to just let people hurt you and never fight back.

Mark 22:36 checkmate libruls! ... but Matthew 22:21 and Romans 13:1 don't count. Nor the one about shellfish, or mixed fibers, or caring for the poor, or not being judgemental, or or or.

Okay, your username. Disk usage, human numbers, all entries, summary, but what is the -t flag? Man doesn't say either.

Ularg posted:

I'm waiting for the next logical step in this hosed-up world being "Well if we make pedophilia negative that will just drive them underground!"

Unironically this. It's the action that is a problem, the goal should be to prevent sexual exploitation of kids, not punish people for thinking a kid is sexy. I mean, if someone's sexually attracted to kids, would you rather they be willing to talk to a psychologist about it and get the support they need to cope, or just gently caress kids? Of course, in this case, actions happened, so that's not immediately relevant.

Nothing is more communist than private ownership of the means of social interaction! Like, even even the corrupt USSR failed implementation would have at least had it be nominally state-owned.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Eh, it's not exactly Abe Simpson/Beatrice Horseman levels of parental abuse.

(My dad is a bit like this though, which is why my brother ended up cutting all contact and not allowing him contact with his granddaughter. My dad still can't see anything unreasonable about what basically became emotional blackmail on his part.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

Okay, your username. Disk usage, human numbers, all entries, summary, but what is the -t flag? Man doesn't say either.

The tragedy of Unix is that while "cat" exists and "man du" works, "cat man du" is not a valid command line.

But the -t flag for du, you can find it here. Threshold.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Regalingualius posted:

I can't help but get the impression that they're a conservative posing as an Antifa trying to poison the well. :thunk:

"This guy keeps saying Democrats have paranoid delusions, he's probably a false-flag"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kruschev came out of the Cuban Missle Crisis with a crush on respect for Kennedy, and a thaw might have been possible had the assassination not occurred.

A Confused Timeline Cartoon.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kegluneq posted:

Eh, it's not exactly Abe Simpson/Beatrice Horseman levels of parental abuse.

Yeah, but there is also no indication she's cut him out of her life entirely and just that she makes no sort of social visits. Just that she doesn't call or visit socially because it's no fun.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mr. Squishy posted:

"This guy keeps saying Democrats have paranoid delusions, he's probably a false-flag"
Being aware of agendas or skeptical of motives behind political content online is no vice, especially in this day and age.

That said, viewing women's rights as an ineffective distraction from full communism now is exactly the sort of opinion a black bloc would have, so he's probably authentic.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Turtlicious posted:

Ehhhh most people don't work that way. If interacting with someone requires a) active effort, however small and b) makes you feel bad when you do, most people just slowly and subconsciously start finding excuses not to do a. She probably hasn't made a conscious decision "Dad's an rear end in a top hat, I will stop calling him", but because he always makes her feel bad she is quicker to find distractions rather than call and doesn't feel as guilty about forgetting. Over time that turns into habit, and she talks to him less and less. Doesn't require her to make any real decision, and just asking him to stop may not even occur to her - after all, she may not even realize that she really does mind and may try to rationalize it in her head as "that's just how he is".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My man how do you know everything about everything

loving RT America holy poo poo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I've been bamboozled by the Russians for the last time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trogdos! posted:

lol this is such a dumb cartoon

I love these so much. Trump clearly gets upset at Kim's statement and then Garrison has to race to draw Trump being cool and calm when actually it was Kim that was very angry.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

He seems exactly like the type of guy that would name his daughter after Zelda Fitzgerald. I'm assuming her mom must have been a bit more radical but she's never been in the comic.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Keiya posted:

The username is actually a reference to lovely song Du Hast by Rammstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q8Od5qJio

Cat Mattress posted:

The tragedy of Unix is that while "cat" exists and "man du" works, "cat man du" is not a valid command line.

But the -t flag for du, you can find it here. Threshold.

While this is technically correct, I'm pretty sure the -t / threshold flag doesn't work on older versions of du, though I am not 100% sure. I don't think it's valid syntax for anything actually usable anyway.

You might say it's a... false flag :smug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

du -hast posted:

While this is technically correct, I'm pretty sure the -t / threshold flag doesn't work on older versions of du, though I am not 100% sure. I don't think it's valid syntax for anything actually usable anyway.

You might say it's a... false flag :smug:

code:
du: option requires an argument -- 't'
Try 'du --help' for more information.
Confirmed, there is no Santa Claus

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Kaza42 posted:

Ehhhh most people don't work that way. If interacting with someone requires a) active effort, however small and b) makes you feel bad when you do, most people just slowly and subconsciously start finding excuses not to do a. She probably hasn't made a conscious decision "Dad's an rear end in a top hat, I will stop calling him", but because he always makes her feel bad she is quicker to find distractions rather than call and doesn't feel as guilty about forgetting. Over time that turns into habit, and she talks to him less and less. Doesn't require her to make any real decision, and just asking him to stop may not even occur to her - after all, she may not even realize that she really does mind and may try to rationalize it in her head as "that's just how he is".

^This.

This comic really wasn't supposed to be "cut rear end in a top hat people you don't like out of your life." At least I don't think so. It's just a simple "we tend to alienate people consciously/subconsciously if they really aren't fun or pleasing in any way to communicate with."

We all know people like this. My grandma is one of those Christian conservative types that constantly takes other people's sides in stories and reminds you of your failures whenever applicable. Let's just say I was the only relative left that regularly visited with her, until recently I (consciously in this case) decided to drastically cut down on my exposure to her toxicity. What's the alternative though? Explain to them that they are incredibly sour people that no one likes to be around? Tell someone who's in the latter half of their life that they're awful and need to change? Probably not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've been the daughter in situations like this and let me give some advice: just tell your parents directly you don't like those kinds of jokes. If they respect you, they'll stop. If they don't, well they might be jerks and maybe you should visit them less. But there's a strong possibility they're just trying to have some fun with you and make conversation and they don't realize they're making you upset. After all, some people love these kinds of jokes:

Turtlicious posted:

(This is adorable btw)

But they're not for everyone, and if they're not for you then you need to say something (they well come up with new less offensive dumb jokes to tell, trust me). Because open communication is the only way to maintain a healthy relationship with your parents as an adult (or any relationship with anyone really).

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Grimdude posted:

What's the alternative though? Explain to them that they are incredibly sour people that no one likes to be around? Tell someone who's in the latter half of their life that they're awful and need to change? Probably not.

And that doesn't work because not only are they set in their own ways, but, they've known you since you were born (or before you were born, in the case of parents).
You can be a 10th level black belt in debate and they're still gonna make you feel like the rear end in a top hat for bringing it up and turning the conversation around to where it's YOU on the defensive trying to convince them that you don't hate them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What does that blue cartoon aardvark that sounds like Jackie Mason have to do with Russia?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

What does that blue cartoon aardvark that sounds like Jackie Mason have to do with Russia?

Look at this guy who can't identify a Vorticon smh

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wish we could move on to the ark were Zelda's dad and Nova's mum gently caress. That was funny.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Lich posted:

GQ magazine honors Colin Kaepernick.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but there is also no indication she's cut him out of her life entirely and just that she makes no sort of social visits. Just that she doesn't call or visit socially because it's no fun.

Grimdude posted:

This comic really wasn't supposed to be "cut rear end in a top hat people you don't like out of your life." At least I don't think so.
Zelda doesn't cut her dad out of her life, in fact she moves in with him after a while

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

How pathetically mad do you have to be to create this

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

The Rallest of takes.

Funny how the guy who always draws creepy old men using the trans bathroom laws to perv on little girls has absolutely nothing to say about Roy Moore.

Tasmanian senator forced to resign after learning she has UK citizenship due to her father being born in Scotland. And I guess she curses a lot?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

I'm the outline of a human nose on Mickey loving Mouse.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

GOPe and Never Trumpers are the only thing stopping Trump's agenda from rolling through and destroying American prosperity?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

These are two of the most trivially Good Cartoons I have ever seen

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Nonsense, this is an election year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WHat?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure how to interpret that McCoy in a way that isn't in favor of more gun control, but I know that's his intent.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Federal Background Checks are the easiest and most effective way to protect people (even heavily-pregnant women!) from being shot with guns when the best tool you have is Gov Bureaucracy. A simple, straightforward message from progressive leader Gary McCoy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm not sure how to interpret that McCoy in a way that isn't in favor of more gun control, but I know that's his intent.

I think the intended interpretation is that "callous government bureaucracy doesn't care about the unborn, and instead thinks that it is protecting us with useless regulations like background checks for guns that won't do anything but hurt Honest Gun Buyers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's the dumber of the McCoys. Attempting to ascribe logic to it is a fruitless endeavour.

• Locked thread