Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My only complaint of RE7 is that the enemy variety is a step down from 4-6 which makes it feel like kind of a slog near the end, but otherwise the game is outstanding. Also we get two new DLCs in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Water altar in dragons dogma is such a drat good small dungeon. Great layout, multiple phases, good loot. Forgot how cool it is

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Real hurthling! posted:

Water altar in dragons dogma is such a drat good small dungeon. Great layout, multiple phases, good loot. Forgot how cool it is

Did you mod out carry weight or something, because I can't really see someone saying that otherwise.

e: I have played Dragon's Dogma more times than anyone probably should and I dread going to Watergod's Altar every time

Olive! fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 14, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyway, apparently since yesterday EA removed the refund button from the Battlefront 2 page lol. You can still refund via customer service but they obviously had to react to make it a bit harder. I wonder how many refunded copies prompted that decision.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Propaganda Hour posted:

My only complaint of RE7 is that the enemy variety is a step down from 4-6 which makes it feel like kind of a slog near the end, but otherwise the game is outstanding. Also we get two new DLCs in December.

The only enemies in that game that left any impact would've been the family.

And insect hives.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I will never buy another EA game until they bring back "EA Games - Challenge Everything"

Taking a stand for the issues that matter.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's about a dollar a minute. The Kara no Kyoukai boxed set was at one point $948 for 590 minutes of animation. It may actually be more expensive now.

When the heck has it ever been that expensive? I paid 350$ for it when I was in Japan (which was about the same price to have it imported through rightstuf for the short period they had it available). That was brand new in a anime/anime merch store. That must be some ridiculous eBay ask.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Jay Rust posted:

Haven’t heard much about Resident Evil 7 for a long time, does it stand the test of time?

I liked the game my first time through and much less the second. There's too many unskippable scenes and forced animation segments. It was the opposite with RE6 where I didn't like it as first but grew to enjoy it as a co-op action game.

Palpek posted:

Anyway, apparently since yesterday EA removed the refund button from the Battlefront 2 page lol. You can still refund via customer service but they obviously had to react to make it a bit harder. I wonder how many refunded copies prompted that decision.

I pray they do not alter the deal any further.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Jojo censorship is pretty hilarious too though.

While they do just shade out violent acts, there are plenty of bits where they just change the names in subtitles so you can clearly hear a character shouting "CRAZY DIAMOND" or "KILLER QUEEN" or "HIGHWAY STAR" or "VANILLA ICE" or "PEARL JAM" or "BAD COMPANY" or "OINGO BOINGO" but the subtitles say "Shining Diamond" or "Deadly Queen" or "Highway Go Go" or "Cool Ice" or "Pole Jam" or "Worse Company" or "Zenyatta Mondatta."

You missed my favorite one though. The name change for LIMP BIZKIT is...."Flaccid Pancake".

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I still say the best "Worst but ultimately inoffensive" thing EA has ever done (meaning the decision like, didn't cost anyone jobs or anything) was commission a new James Bond game with Goldeneye in the title even though the plot of the game had nothing to do with the events from the actual movie or said orbital weapon, but was about a new character you play as who literally had a golden eye.

Because I guess, I'm not sure but I guess at the time that time in 2004 the name Goldeneye was more valuable than the actual James Bond name.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saint Freak posted:

You missed my favorite one though. The name change for LIMP BIZKIT is...."Flaccid Pancake".

I'm a huge fan of WORSE COMPANY

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I still say the best "Worst but ultimately inoffensive" thing EA has ever done (meaning the decision like, didn't cost anyone jobs or anything) was commission a new James Bond game with Goldeneye in the title even though the plot of the game had nothing to do with the events from the actual movie or said orbital weapon, but was about a new character you play as who literally had a golden eye.

Because I guess, I'm not sure but I guess at the time that time in 2004 the name Goldeneye was more valuable than the actual James Bond name.

I wonder how many people were fooled by that? That game was so drat generic. All I can remember about it is the ridiculous naming scheme.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

That's because I was only listing stuff from the anime :v:

If we were including things past part 4 I'd have to include Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap getting changed into Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price.

I would have included Earth, Wind, and Fire being changed to Terra Ventus and Boy II Man being changed into Boy Man Man but I can't actually remember if either of those had their names shouted out in the show.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought it just got changed to something like D4C

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i thought it just got changed to something like D4C

It's both. He mostly just says D4C but they've named a few of his attacks or whatever Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price and listed D4C as some mysterious thing nobody knows the meaning of, similar to the treatment FF got where they just say it's a mysterious abbreviation and nobody knows what it means even though it stands for Foo Fighters.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game awards nominees for GOTY are Mario, Zelda, PUBG, Horizon, and Persona 5

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have played Zelda, Horizon, Mario and PUBG.

Zelda is great: G4F4.
Mario is beautifully great: G5F4
PUBG I did not like: G1:F1

But Horizon was the clear winner! G5F5! Hooray! My GOTY :D

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can only rate them if you’ve beaten them imo, and beating PUBG means getting 1st place

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remind me what your review system is again please.

What is it, graphics and fun? Or do they stand for something else?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a thread to discuss skinner boxes and similar sketchy business models in games?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horizon
Hellblade
AC: Origins
Yakuza 0
RE7
Persona 5
No Man's Sky 2.0
Night in the Woods
Little Nightmares

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Good and Fun

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Remind me what your review system is again please.

What is it, graphics and fun? Or do they stand for something else?

F is the fun I had. It is divorced a little for how the game is. For example, a game might be bad technically but I had a lot of fun with it. Summarily, a game I recognise might be good and liked by a lot of people but I did not like it at all, so the G number will be higher.

PUBG seemed to be a janky mess in all ways, I crashed on first load, I crashed during a match, the screen frazzled when I switched between view modes and when it did work there was a lot of walking around. Being early access means I can never assign a G value higher than 1 because it is due to change so much. Unless PUBG is out of early access, in which case goodness!

Mostly I try to be unbiased with my G value because the F part is my subjective nature :D

So, a G4F1 game for me is Halo. I dislike it immensely. I might even go as far to say it is my most hated game. However, I can see it did a lot to change the face of gaming. Popularising the idea of an FPS on a console, the network matches online through stable console, and caused the popularity of one of my previous favourite consoles, The Xbox. I still hated it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

You can only rate them if you’ve beaten them imo, and beating PUBG means getting 1st place

I've gotten first place and I'd give it a solid 4/10

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VideoGames posted:

I have played Zelda, Horizon, Mario and PUBG.

Zelda is great: G4F4.
Mario is beautifully great: G5F4
PUBG I did not like: G1:F1

But Horizon was the clear winner! G5F5! Hooray! My GOTY :D

did you ever play a second pubg game after the one we did

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

God Tier:
Horizon
Hellblade
Night in the Woods

Good Tier:
Pretty much everything else.

Feels Tier:
Life is Strange Before the Storm

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

did you ever play a second pubg game after the one we did

I tried twice and both times the game broke. I fell through the floor after walking into a building and died. The second time I spent ages wandering around looking for things and then died from a sniper bullet. I am glad I was able to refund.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol the game awards has a new category this year for Best Game of the Year (Chinese) which is GOTY but votes are only counted if you're Chinese

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

pubg duos/squad
persona 5
botw
nier a
oddessey
pubg solo

special guest eu4

maybe not in that order but generally

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Feels Tier:
Life is Strange Before the Storm

I hesitate to put it on until I see if they stick the landing. First two episodes are hella strong for sure though. And hella gay.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In no order games I️ loves this Year was Nier A, Splatoon 2, Tekken 7, Persona 5, mario, Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future tone. The annual version of Guilty Gear makes it too but that's just normal procedure

I️ wanna play RE7 and Zelda still at some point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also this was the year i played FFXV and Stardew Valley both of which are lovely

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Despite stumping fairly hard for Nier and loving Mario Odssey I think the actual best game I played in 2017 was Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i might play botw again until i get mad at weapons durability

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This was also the year I completed Wolfenstein the New Order, Steamworld Dig 2 and Picross Switch. Very good games also! I played a few but only those finished do I count in my GOTY choice.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

Lol the game awards has a new category this year for Best Game of the Year (Chinese) which is GOTY but votes are only counted if you're Chinese

Geoff needs sponsors and China got money.

Also noticed they don't have the Best Fan-Creation category this year. Probably for the best after last year caused a bit of cluster-gently caress with some of the nominees.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pubg is going to be the Infiniminer of battle royale games

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

haveblue posted:

Pubg is going to be the Infiniminer of battle royale games

Come again?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

game awards nominees for GOTY are Mario, Zelda, PUBG, Horizon, and Persona 5

Of these, I think Mario or Horizon deserve the win. I haven't played Mario yet, so I can't comment in detail, but it really does seem like something special. As for the others:
  • I have very complicated feelings on Breath of the Wild. To steal VideoGames's rating system, I'd give it like a G3F5. It does a few things very, very well, but there are enough key aspects that it does very, very poorly that I'm just not sure anymore. The combat balance is a total mess. Enemy variety is severely lacking. The dungeons, while cool ideas, just aren't very satisfying in the end, and while there are some great shrines, there are a ton of filler ones, too. But it's an F5 for me because the overall experience of playing it was massively greater than the sum of its parts, and I'm really impressed by how its open world was designed to make open-ended exploration extremely engaging. But the parts of it that are broken are so badly broken that I can't blame anyone for hating the game.
  • Persona 5 gets a G4F5 from me. It has flaws, but they're not nearly as fatal as Breath of the Wild's are. The dungeon design sags in the middle, and the story becomes an utter mess of bad exposition for most of the game's last act. But drat if it doesn't stick the landing, and the improvements it made to overall JRPG combat, along with the quality of the confidant writing, the awesome aesthetics, all of it, they just add up to be something really fantastic.
  • PUBG gets a big :shrug: from me, but I'm not its target audience. That said, given the competition, I don't think it's GOTY, even taking into account my own biases.
  • I had less fun with Horizon: Zero Dawn than I did with Zelda or Persona 5, but taking a step back from that, it's a really impressive game. It's aesthetically amazing, especially given that I played it on a base PS4. The combat is varied and extremely fun. The world is fun to explore. The quests are enjoyable and well-written, for the most part. It's just an all around great game and it deserves all the recognition it gets.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Also noticed they don't have the Best Fan-Creation category this year. Probably for the best after last year caused a bit of cluster-gently caress with some of the nominees.

What happened last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hooray, I finished the Bat Batman™ (Origins). Gonna steal VG's system here and call it a G3F4.

As an Arkham series game they did some weird stuff, there's a big change in long-term gameplay focus despite being mostly the same game from moment to moment, which is a bit weird. There's a lot of focus on gaining XP through fighting random dudes, where the other Arkham games tended to give you much bigger bonuses for discovering secrets by comparison. The upgrades are also weirdly paced, which is a common complaint, but it seems they really expected you to fight every random group of dudes you come across, since otherwise the city's just too drat big.

The story is kind of dumb, and mostly just there rather than anything interesting happening, but it does have its moments. Most of the VAs are different from the other Arkham games too, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but both Batman and the Joker sound like they're just trying to imitate Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill instead of doing their own thing. Riddler puzzles in this one are just as prolific, but... more boring? I enjoyed doing them all in Asylum, City, and Knight, but in Origins I kind of can't bring myself to care.

Probably coming across kind of harsh here, but complaining aside, it feels like reading a Batman comic that's just good, but not great. All the Batman-y bits are there, combat's just as fun as the others if a little janky due to the new additions (shock gloves are fun but throw off the combat flow), but it's not one I can see myself regularly going through like the other three.

Easy recommendation for a cheap thrill though, same day I got my copy for a straight trade I found it in the bargain bin at Family Dollar for five bucks too.

• Locked thread