Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The Lunarians remind me of something and I can't figure it out. Where did I last see aliens/monsters appearing regularly but getting stronger every time and pulling out shocking new tricks to ruin some heroes? I'm sure it crops it frequently enough, but there's a specific, somewhat recent feeling example nagging at me.

I know Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer had some of that, but it's something I read/watch/played more recently.

Also this show is outstanding
It's a good few years old, but I feel Noein shares some inspiration.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/5295

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Slug! :3:

https://twitter.com/gsc_kahotan/status/930000163501776896

Oh and Phos too...i guess.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The Lunarians remind me of something and I can't figure it out. Where did I last see aliens/monsters appearing regularly but getting stronger every time and pulling out shocking new tricks to ruin some heroes? I'm sure it crops it frequently enough, but there's a specific, somewhat recent feeling example nagging at me.

I know Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer had some of that, but it's something I read/watch/played more recently.

Knights of Sidonia?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

hit freeware shmup Warning Forever

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

ugh. You got me thinking about this and there was a series within the last few years that I dropped that was essentially about aliens periodically attacking Neo-Japan, and kids who had been put in stasis when the aliens first appeared get woken up to fight the aliens (they wake up high schooler aged) - but then there's a big conspiracy where the adult handlers of the child soldiers are hiding something. There was an early wham-episode (4 or 5?) where one of the main cast seemingly get killed in the stinger after the credits? The kids have a mix of like... psychic abilities and guns and junk.

edit: found it! Qualidea Code fits what you describe, with an escalating/losing battle against enigmatic invaders

wolfs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 14, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was thinking of that Noein shot while watching the action scene at the end of this latest episode.

Scary buddhas is a very good villain.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

boboseki no kuni

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I have no idea if it's what you're thinking of but to me they give off Drakengard vibes, specifically the Watchers. What you're describing sort of sounds like the anti-Spirals from Gurren Lagann but the Mugann were very non-humanoid so maybe not?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
feels like sidonia in the sense that the horrible inexorable enemy often take something of value from the heroes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlueDiverSky/status/930915792723595264

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Squidster posted:

It's a good few years old, but I feel Noein shares some inspiration.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/5295

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Knights of Sidonia?

Venuz Patrol posted:

hit freeware shmup Warning Forever

rincewind101 posted:

edit: found it! Qualidea Code fits what you describe, with an escalating/losing battle against enigmatic invaders

TriffTshngo posted:

I have no idea if it's what you're thinking of but to me they give off Drakengard vibes, specifically the Watchers. What you're describing sort of sounds like the anti-Spirals from Gurren Lagann but the Mugann were very non-humanoid so maybe not?

Wild Horses posted:

feels like sidonia in the sense that the horrible inexorable enemy often take something of value from the heroes
Outside of an LP of Drakengard and Gurren-Lagann, I haven't seen any of these so while my nagging remains I appreciate the input and suggestions for things to watch/read/play! I think it may honestly just be Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer I'm thinking of despite my brain's protests against it, though GL's Mugann attacks while they're on Earth give off a similar feeling too.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Outside of an LP of Drakengard and Gurren-Lagann, I haven't seen any of these so while my nagging remains I appreciate the input and suggestions for things to watch/read/play! I think it may honestly just be Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer I'm thinking of despite my brain's protests against it, though GL's Mugann attacks while they're on Earth give off a similar feeling too.

It's kind of an obvious answer, but really, Neon Genesis Evangelion is kinda the poster child for the kind of show you're describing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

a kitten posted:

Bort seems pretty touchy so I think they're just assuming Phos must have hosed up somehow without realizing that the moonjerks pulled out a nasty new trick on the Amethysts.

I wondered if Bort suspects that Phos is somehow acting against them or something. Every bad thing happening seems to revolve around Phos, Phos continually acts against orders and took a mysterious trip into the sea and can't report on what happened there. I mean, Bort knows Phos is utterly useless in a fight so that reaction didn't look like "why didn't you help them" so much as "why the hell does all this keep happening around you"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't remember if the show mentioned it, but the manga has other gems mention the lunarians find phos' color uniquely appealing

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She's exactly my favorite color so the lunarians have good taste.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 16, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

i don't remember if the show mentioned it, but the manga has other gems mention the lunarians find phos' color uniquely appealing

they definitely mention it within the first couple eps

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Aw poo poo I thought they had just been shifting the eyes/mouth for front vs 2/3rd views. Nope, they actually do a lot more to the face geometry to fit the concept art. And I'm assuming a lot of this is automated with the face triggers attached to the camera. Genius!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i think these are pretty standard tricks for making cg faces look right in different perspectives, it's neat

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

I think everybody was primed to think of Sidonia if they'd seen it because King ended up looking just like Tsumugi, not to mention also CG.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good stuff

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/930885193073913857

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That was a good read, thanks for posting it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/c0jima/status/701756316201517056

Cats n' Gems

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Btw everyone repping Noein, it recently got licensed by Crunchyroll, you should watch it before its licence dies.

It also made me fall in love with its setting of Hakodate.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Btw everyone repping Noein, it recently got licensed by Crunchyroll, you should watch it before its licence dies.

It also made me fall in love with its setting of Hakodate.

i just started it and it's insanely good, really encapsulates that period of early/mid-00's where anime just did not give a poo poo and tried all sorts of new stuff

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Noein is fantastic and has a bunch of great work from "web generation" animators.

But due to some production issue episode 2 is in a completely different style from the rest of the show. It's weird.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ccs posted:

Noein is fantastic and has a bunch of great work from "web generation" animators.

But due to some production issue episode 2 is in a completely different style from the rest of the show. It's weird.

i almost wondered if they would keep changing the style, and at least with Atori he seems to kind of defy any consistent design so that bit of it was interesting.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
New episode of the gems coming out. Wonder what it's going to be like?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Incredibly adorable. :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

EagerSleeper posted:

New episode of the gems coming out. Wonder what it's going to be like?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Actual episode reaction:

What an endlessly strange and fascinating world and oh god Phos what have you done to yourself :ohdear:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man it feels like the show not only looks but also moves better episode by episode.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Sleepy gems :3:

Sleepwalking gems :3:

Poor Phos, what spooky ice

Knorth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 18, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

Man it feels like the show not only looks but also moves better episode by episode.

There's a little (floral?) pattern inside the gloves!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

What gorgeous attention to detail.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

a kitten posted:

Hah, I didn't even notice it in that shot, it's much more obvious here. Wonder if it reflects anything from the manga

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also the floes were as creepy as I hoped they'd be, hell yeah.

I'm glad everyone has now met Antarc, our third (or fourth or fifth) in a series of increasingly good Best Gems.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the gloves are just plain on the inside in the manga

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

the gloves are just plain on the inside in the manga

Seems to be inside the uniforms though <--manga image, but not actually a spoiler of any kind.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad Fashion Gem gets to strut their stuff at least once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• Locked thread