Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tei posted:

There are important differences:

Items in a F2P game can't be traded. So if I have 2 of the best heroes in the game, I can't give one to a friend. He have to buy a lot of packs and be lucky.
Yeah but that also means they're convertible to real money, which means they're closer to real gambling that way. Case in point:

Dr. Stab posted:

I've seen kids walk in to a store, buy a magic pack, sell what they open to the store then fish money out of their pocket to make the difference to get the next pack, hoping to pull some money card.

It's basically gambling.

quote:

Is very easy for a kid to get mom phone and click on "buy 19$ of ingame currency". Mom may not even notice.
Are they? By default you would need their Google/Apple password for this, right? Like, my son has definitely done his fair share of downloading awful scammy F2P games on our iPad, but it doesn't bother me that much because whenever he asks us to buy some dumb in-game currency because the password prompt came up, we just say no (he quickly learned to stop asking).

quote:

Kids of very young age are doing this. There are 8 years old and 11 years old doing this. While magic cards was more a teenager thing.
They are virtual items. If the game close, you end with nothing. If you buy a lot baseball cards as kid, you will still have a bunch of useless baseball cards after 20 years.
Is not kids playing with other kids, but adults manipulating people of all ages. No social interaction.

The list is longer, but I will stop here.
These seem like pretty trivial or wrong differences. Like I remember being into baseball and xmen cards in elementary school, and having a bunch of useless cards is...not much of an effective difference?

RandomPauI posted:

Is that a thing that happened? I don't remember that happening.
I dunno if they got banned for being gambling but I remember them getting banned at my school, I think for just being distracting in general. I think pokemon cards sometimes get banned at schools for similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember any trading card bans at my schools, but do remember trench coat and goth clothes bans.

Edit: Not that I doubt things were banned. I meant that schools banned things almost on whims.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Another tragedy in Las Vegas!

https://youtu.be/u7pV4vxD1bs

The first autonomous shuttle only lasted an hour before crashing with a semi. It seems that the truck was technically at fault, but also that a human driver could've avoided the issue.

Just based on personal experience, driving perfect according to the rules will not always save you if others are being morons.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 9, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
“You’re a rotten driver,” I protested. “Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn’t to drive at all.”
“I am careful.”
“No, you’re not.”
“Well, other people are,” she said lightly.
“What’s that got to do with it?”
“They’ll keep out of my way,” she insisted. “It takes two to make an accident.”
“Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself.”
“I hope I never will,” she answered. “I hate careless people. That’s why I like you.”

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Another tragedy in Las Vegas!

https://youtu.be/u7pV4vxD1bs

The first autonomous shuttle only lasted an hour before crashing with a semi. It seems that the truck was technically at fault, but also that a human driver could've avoided the issue.

Just based on personal experience, driving perfect according to the rules will not always save you if others are being morons.
This seems like the inevitable result of a big gaggle of smaller companies trying their hand at self-driving cars, they just don't have the resources to handle all the different scenarios, and they can't test nearly as much. The Waymo ones supposedly will beep/honk in this kind of situation: https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/02/let-it-beep-googles-self-driving-cars-may-now-honk-hum-and-pip/

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

This seems like the inevitable result of a big gaggle of smaller companies trying their hand at self-driving cars, they just don't have the resources to handle all the different scenarios, and they can't test nearly as much. The Waymo ones supposedly will beep/honk in this kind of situation: https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/02/let-it-beep-googles-self-driving-cars-may-now-honk-hum-and-pip/

But hey, no big deal, right? Just move fast and break things!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
A truck backed into a totally stopped and unmoving shuttle?

Clearly the shuttle's fault.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I don’t buy that backing up was even the right move here. Beeping would have been, but just because you can back up to potentially avoid another driver doing something dangerous doesn’t mean that you should. Seems especially bad for something big and slow like a bus.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A truck backed into a totally stopped and unmoving shuttle?

Clearly the shuttle's fault.

You work for a loving school district but you couldn't tell that I was responding to the idea that small companies should get away with less testing of their products? Is literacy not taught there?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

You work for a loving school district but you couldn't tell that I was responding to the idea that small companies should get away with less testing of their products? Is literacy not taught there?

What testing though? It's funny that a car immediately got into an accident less than an hour into it's run but it was literally stopped and a truck ran into it. You can't really AI your way out of trucks being able to run into you when you are stopped.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What testing though? It's funny that a car immediately got into an accident less than an hour into it's run but it was literally stopped and a truck ran into it. You can't really AI your way out of trucks being able to run into you when you are stopped.

Please find an english teacher to read the thread to you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

Please find an english teacher to read the thread to you.

Like how can you blame this on "a small company". You can't program a bus to not be crashed into by a truck while the bus is stationary.

It's not like "the ability for trucks to crash into this while it's not moving" is some problem google would have thought to solve that this small company forgot to address.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like how can you blame this on "a small company". You can't program a bus to not be crashed into by a truck while the bus is stationary.

It's not like "the ability for trucks to crash into this while it's not moving" is some problem google would have thought to solve that this small company forgot to address.

Yeah, but instead of explaining why what you're saying doesn't make sense I'll just pretend like you're too stupid to read! Tech bros, right?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, but instead of explaining why what you're saying doesn't make sense I'll just pretend like you're too stupid to read! Tech bros, right?

clearly the stationary bus should dart around totally randomly any time a truck moves anywhere in vision range because it might be an evil truck that is coming to get it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
What's interesting to me is that most of the headlines about the accident look like this:

quote:

Self-driving bus involved in accident on its first day

quote:

Self-driving bus launches in Las Vegas, gets into accident two hours later

quote:

Self-driving bus in crash just 2 hours after entering public service

None of them are strictly wrong, but they're really misleading given that what really happened here is that the bus was hit. While stopped.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ElCondemn posted:

I already did and he, as always, ignored it. What more do you want? The last time I tried the "patiently explain what the gently caress is going on in great detail" it resulted in him believing that his experience as a school district computer janitor trumped my experience in commercial aerospace.

Why the gently caress should I put in the effort when it's going to be ignored instead?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

What's interesting to me is that most of the headlines about the accident look like this:

None of them are strictly wrong, but they're really misleading given that what really happened here is that the bus was hit. While stopped.

Yeah, even in the video they kept talking about the accident as though the automated car drove into something. Not until they had the spokesman on did the actual story come out, the news is just fearmongering.

Solkanar512 posted:

I already did and he, as always, ignored it. What more do you want? The last time I tried the "patiently explain what the gently caress is going on in great detail" it resulted in him believing that his experience as a school district computer janitor trumped my experience in commercial aerospace.

Why the gently caress should I put in the effort when it's going to be ignored instead?

If you don't want to discuss it maybe you should just avoid posting, it's not like anyone is super interested to hear your take on how the industry works in your mind.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ElCondemn posted:

If you don't want to discuss it maybe you should just avoid posting, it's not like anyone is super interested to hear your take on how the industry works in your mind.

I did twice already and you keep ignoring it as well.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I did twice already and you keep ignoring it as well.

Huh? All you posted was this

Solkanar512 posted:

But hey, no big deal, right? Just move fast and break things!

then you complained about people not reading it right

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

You are posting from some weird grudge you have from 500 pages ago about how I said planes could be automated?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this was my first thought as well. Gotta get clicks, I suppose.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, this was my first thought as well. Gotta get clicks, I suppose.

It's a mildly funny bad luck story so it's not shocking they write it like that. Anyone that takes it as a real issue with the technology is crazy but it's some pretty crap luck to only go an hour before a truck just smashes into you. So it's an understandable angle to write from.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

YouTube says it will crack down on bizarre videos targeting children

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am not sure I want corporations policing kids videos to be normal. Youtube is really a bad idea. I hope we find a way to diversify content out of services like youtube.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

It seems more like this is about adult use of kid's stuff not about weird chinese knockoff cartoons about injecting blue dye into babies to teach the color cyan.

Like they want to demonitize this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3dUa6Msq7Y

not the unsettling videos that seem like they come from slovakia by the way of india and release 30 videos an hour that all seem creepy as gently caress for no reason anyone can quite put into words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmYpJ5a2KQ

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Tei posted:

I am not sure I want corporations policing kids videos to be normal. Youtube is really a bad idea. I hope we find a way to diversify content out of services like youtube.

You're gonna feel really silly when it's discovered that those videos are some sort of grand psy-op funded by some shell company created by DARPA.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Demonetize? Yugioh the Abridged series got its channel deleted multiple times. FLUSH THE loving TOILET YOUTUBE. Spiderman fondling Elsa is not fair use.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm hesitant to link what is basically clickbait, but there aren't many anti robot stances outside of this forum so it's something I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmyygCMMGA

It ends with "no one really knows".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm hesitant to link what is basically clickbait, but there aren't many anti robot stances outside of this forum so it's something I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmyygCMMGA

It ends with "no one really knows".

That's pretty simplistic. Of course there is always going to be work for people. At low enough labor cost, you can even just put people in a heat bath or on a exercise machine and sell their energy production. The really interesting question is if you can run a functioning free market economy and pluralistic, democratic society around that kind of "jobs".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Use human bodies as heat-generating machines to run robots with, you say?

Perhaps the machines could even provide the lucky humans with a compelling virtual reality experience to ease the boredom!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it's kind like how so many people have been 'lifted out of poverty' by having their lands expropriated and being forced to work in a sweatshop

technically they're out of poverty so stop whining! technically people will have jobs (contract, delivering food or being a sex worker via app)!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

call to action posted:

yeah it's kind like how so many people have been 'lifted out of poverty' by having their lands expropriated and being forced to work in a sweatshop

technically they're out of poverty so stop whining! technically people will have jobs (contract, delivering food or being a sex worker via app)!

The slave if don't have to work is happy. He enjoy that day to his fullest. Because gently caress working, lets dance and chat and relax and have fun.

Unemployed people are generally very stressed and feel really bad.

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 14, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

call to action posted:

Actually, industrialisation worked out pretty nicely for us. The problem is that getting past the massive social upheavals to the good parts (ca. 1960s social-democracy) took a lot of unimaginable suffering. We almost killed ourselves (two times even). Now we are heading for a different kind of massive social upheaval and the same types of narrow-minded people are in charge again, preaching the same mantras.

We should be working on better managing the transition/upheaval, instead of pretending that everything is fine and that it can just keep going on indefinitely, like some lovely Russian aristocrat ca. 1910

Mozi posted:

Perhaps the machines could even provide the lucky humans with a compelling virtual reality experience to ease the boredom!

Every time you jerk off, you are actually cranking a small generator in the real world, perpetuating the machine empire

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mozi posted:

This was something that was seriously considered a few years ago, not by robots but by libertarians. I can't find the article anymore, but the proposal was to take homeless/jobless people and confine them inside a pod with a computer and internet connection. The purpose was to generate revenue through the information gathered from their browsing. In return they got free food, water, and shelter, but were never allowed to leave the pod.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It seems more like this is about adult use of kid's stuff not about weird chinese knockoff cartoons about injecting blue dye into babies to teach the color cyan.

Like they want to demonitize this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3dUa6Msq7Y

not the unsettling videos that seem like they come from slovakia by the way of india and release 30 videos an hour that all seem creepy as gently caress for no reason anyone can quite put into words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmYpJ5a2KQ

oh good, I didn't have enough nightmare fuel

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaO45SyaO4

Looks like they might be working on an early prototype for a commercial version of Spot. I can't wait to see where these things end up being used :allears:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Looks like they might be working on an early prototype for a commercial version of Spot. I can't wait to see where these things end up being used :allears:

While extremely cool, those robodogs are very uncanny valley for me. I can just see them outfitted with a sensor suite and a m249 and getting sent in to clear rooms of living things. On autonomous mode.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

That is amazing, straight up. The movement was as light and sure as an actual dog. I'm not lying either, I kind of sat there slack jawed at it as I watched the video a few times.

Then I remembered how this tech is most probably going to be used in practical application.

I suppose it was inevitable, but there's a chud in the comments that mentioned about 'patrolling our boarders' (verbatim)...and then it clicked. Trillion dollar works progr...I mean the DoD....and a faltering consumption based system. Yeah, not pretty.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 15, 2017

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That is amazing, straight up. The movement was as light and sure as an actual dog. I'm not lying either, I kind of sat there slack jawed at it as I watched the video a few times.

Then I remembered how this tech is most probably going to be used in practical application.

I suppose it was inevitable, but there's a chud in the comments that mentioned about 'patrolling our boarders' (verbatim)...and then it clicked. Trillion dollar works progr...I mean the DoD....and a faltering consumption based system. Yeah, not pretty.

If you think Republican neo-cons are war hungry now just wait until they're able to invade other countries without risking a single American life. Quagmirish asymmetric warfare isn't going to work half as well as a deterrent against robot armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I can't be the only one who was reminded of

First they were right about manhacks, now hunters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVocE2KXTA&t=49s

Maybe it's for the best that Valve has stopped making single-player games.

• Locked thread