Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Nigel bethel attempted to commit to Miami last night. Was told no more room now. Immediately commits to UF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dilber posted:

Nigel bethel attempted to commit to Miami last night. Was told no more room now. Immediately commits to UF.

lol why is an interim coach accepting recruits

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Randy Shannon loves MNW.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dilber posted:

Also, pretty sure it's mutual. He's done real bad at IMG, and was bad before that.

He played in an option before this. Dude was a camp guy with good tools. He's been bad at IMG, but so has their other QB.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
5* OL and #1 in state/#2 overall OT Cade Mays officially decommits from Tennessee. The writing was on the wall for weeks but he just made it official.

I would assume whoever comes in for Butch can get him back because he's been a Vol for a while and is a Knoxville native but this still hurts.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Joey Freshwater posted:

5* OL and #1 in state/#2 overall OT Cade Mays officially decommits from Tennessee. The writing was on the wall for weeks but he just made it official.

I would assume whoever comes in for Butch can get him back because he's been a Vol for a while and is a Knoxville native but this still hurts.

I’m expecting him to get swept up to Jawjuh or Clemson while John Currie hems and haws. This is also assuming someone comes in for Butch.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’m expecting him to get swept up to Jawjuh or Clemson while John Currie hems and haws. This is also assuming someone comes in for Butch.

He currently has official visits to OSU and Clemson, nothing I've seen about Georgia except proximity speculation

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If only VT had a staff that was better at recruiting maybe we could take advantage of the mess down the road, but we can't even clean up our own state.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think Mays comes back in the end, but we'll have to make an impressive hire.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Joey Freshwater posted:

He currently has official visits to OSU and Clemson, nothing I've seen about Georgia except proximity speculation

I think he just took a visit to Georgia.

E: Yep.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/928448045930500096

it begins

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Welcome friend

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently he might be visiting uga for the Kentucky game

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Nice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It's a real Sophie's Choice—sacrifice 18 class for change or stick w Mac and Nuss and preserve it?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

It's a real Sophie's Choice—sacrifice 18 class for change or stick w Mac and Nuss and preserve it?

Nah, I'm all for the rebuild. Get somebody in who has:

An actual plan on offense

An actual strength and conditioning staff

And we'll be fine. There is a lot of talent on the current roster and if utilized properly, we'll get a boost in recruiting. Kids want to play for a fun, winning team. I don't think we are far off from competing for the division again.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Mac and Nuss failed to develop offensive talent, and couldn’t deploy said talent properly. Being able to acquire talent without the ability to develop and deploy it properly turns you into Butch Jones’s Tennessee.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

I saw UF's class, it's not remotely close to worth sticking with a bum coach for another year. Those classes have to be like top 3 nationally with potential program changers on it to me, at least for a school like UF. Even at a place that doesn't recruit well like VT it'd take something well inside the top 10 for me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Mac and Nuss failed to develop offensive talent, and couldn’t deploy said talent properly. Being able to acquire talent without the ability to develop and deploy it properly turns you into Butch Jones’s Tennessee.

Dang this is ridiculously on point

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

I saw UF's class, it's not remotely close to worth sticking with a bum coach for another year. Those classes have to be like top 3 nationally with potential program changers on it to me, at least for a school like UF. Even at a place that doesn't recruit well like VT it'd take something well inside the top 10 for me.

This is why I'm okay getting rid of Butch at the cost of losing recruits. We have/had a good class so far and the only one so far that's irreplaceable is Cade Mays and he was a long time commit from Knoxville who would likely come back once a new coach is announced. Anyone else we have or would lose due to Butch leaving is replaceable.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If Cade sends I his LOI in December like he said he wants to, it might not matter who they hire or when they announce it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have to commit somewhere officially before sending your LOI? If not I guess he could still send his LOI in whenever he wants to without having to be committed somewhere.

From what I remember he also said Dec. 24th-ish but at the very least before the All American game which is 1/6. I really hope we're not into January and Butch is still here/we don't know who the new coach is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do you have to commit somewhere officially before sending your LOI? If not I guess he could still send his LOI in whenever he wants to without having to be committed somewhere.

From what I remember he also said Dec. 24th-ish but at the very least before the All American game which is 1/6. I really hope we're not into January and Butch is still here/we don't know who the new coach is.

Verbal commits are entirely worthless.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Waiting to December to let the other bags roll in

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

Yeah, this is where I am. I hate to see a good class crumble, but I'd prefer to see a 'lesser' rated class handled competently by the coaching staff.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Godzilla07 posted:

Former Gators (offensive players) have done better elsewhere for years now. I would even go so far as to say that it was almost negligent to take in talented athletes who would inevitably fail to thrive in Gainesville. It meant very little to me to see top talent getting recruited once it became clear that the OL wasn't really why the offense stunk.

The AD has implied (in my opinion) that more of a funslinging offense is heading to Florida, so I don't think that we're going to be hurting for receivers once the dust settles.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think it was more he was going to utilize the early signing period, so in that case, if he does and faxes that form in, he is tied to whatever school he sends it to, even if Tennessee gets the holy grail of coaches.

E: I see your questions now. Yeah verbals mean jack poo poo and the only commitment that matters is the LOI, which is binding.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
chip kelly has only been good at one place and he got a show cause afterwards

just sayin

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

chip kelly has only been good at one place and he got a show cause afterwards

just sayin

The show cause was weak. Paid a coach to tell players to go to Oregon. poo poo wouldn't even register on the Fulmer Cup.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Kim Jong Il posted:

He played in an option before this. Dude was a camp guy with good tools. He's been bad at IMG, but so has their other QB.

That's the biggest thing that gets forgotten about Art - running triple-option at Old Bridge all those years. Also, I wouldn't say either QB has been 'bad' this year, they just haven't put up big numbers. But that has everything to do with playcalling/gameplanning, playing national top-25 ranked teams nearly every single game and having the No. 1 and No. 2 running backs in America for 2019 in the backfield - Trey Sanders and Noah Cain. Oh, and 2018 Oklahoma commit TJ Pledger. This is the first year since 2014 where we've run the ball more than passed. The only really lovely game for either QB was vs. Miami Central, who has a nasty group of DBs and was ranked No. 7 in the country (I think) when they played.

And as an aside, if you want to see a week of game-prep at IMG and an inside look at the monster-beast who is Xavier Thomas (Clemson commit; #1 overall player), here you go: https://www.facebook.com/HudlContenders/videos/479365612445837/

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

He wasn't good in his opportunities when he was in the Wing-T either before.

We're going after the UK commit, Williams.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I don't remotely loving care, I am so happy with him.

Now we're trying to get his teammate Jalen Jordan.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/corral_matt/status/930114767498252288

kid still wants to be a Gator for now :shrug:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Looking at 247, Herman seems to have packed this class with blue chips, but I find the lack of beef disturbing. We desperately need upgrades and depth on the offensive line, and a lot of the depth Strong recruited on the defensive line is transferring out. I hope we manage to hang on to what we've got and pick up at least a couple more big boys.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thermos H Christ posted:

Looking at 247, Herman seems to have packed this class with blue chips, but I find the lack of beef disturbing. We desperately need upgrades and depth on the offensive line, and a lot of the depth Strong recruited on the defensive line is transferring out. I hope we manage to hang on to what we've got and pick up at least a couple more big boys.

Y'all are going to have the best 7 on 7 team in the state

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Y'all are going to have the best 7 on 7 team in the state

I didn't realize the Big XII played anything but 7 on 7.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

VT lands 757 LB Keshon Artis. 3/4* prospect depending on the service.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

757 LB Keshon Artis

That's a big kid :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA lost a 4* dude, word is he might not have qualified academically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think Mizzou just got a commit from like a 23 year old.

quote:

A product of Maplewood, Mo., Thompson originally committed to Mizzou as a high school senior-to-be and signed in February 2013, in the same class as current Mizzou fifth-year seniors J’Mon Moore, Eric Beisel, Anthony Sherrils, Jason Reese, Joe Burkett, A.J. Logan, and Alec Abeln.

As this lovely PowerMizzou piece from May explains, the road took some twists and turns from there. He became a father in June 2013 and left the junior college to which he was signed and placed by Mizzou. His first attempt to return to school was a false start, but he finally landed at Highland Community College, where he recorded 11 solo tackles, 21 assists, and three sacks as a freshman in 2016 and earned a mid-three-star rating from the 247Sports Composite heading into 2017.

Thompson stands 6’3 and weighs in somewhere between about 290 and 305 pounds, evidently.

It appears he’s redshirting this fall, which means he should have three years to play three in FBS. And after ending his Louisville commitment earlier on Tuesday, he is now back where he started: on Mizzou’s board.

Thompson becomes the 13th commit for Mizzou’s 2018 class, the second listed as a defensive lineman, joining Blue Springs product Daniel Parker. He’s got a hell of a story, and it appears he’ll continue it in Columbia.

• Locked thread